• Published 19th Jan 2015
  • 23,121 Views, 2,673 Comments

Split Second - wille179



Twilight Sparkle broke time when she got her cutie mark. Now there's two of her with two different talents.

  • ...
78
 2,673
 23,121

Chapters Next
Prologue (Revised)

Canterlot University was the premiere educational institute in Equestria; none were better than it. On the eastern side of campus lay two colleges: Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns, a prestigious magical institute, and the School of Languages. On the third floor of the latter’s building, a professor by the name of Wax Poetic was lecturing on The Origins of the Gender of Glyphs in Traditional Unicornian.

Said lecture could be boiled down to one concept. Since the traditional language of the unicorns from before the Great Unification was written with the same glyphs as used to transcribe spells, traditionally feminine spell acquired feminine glyphs, and the equivalent for the masculine, dark, light, and neutral spells.

If you looked out the window of Wax Poetic’s lecture hall, you would see Professor Hex’s lecture hall in Celestia’s School. Coincidentally, he was lecturing on spin-theory, the very reason why Unicorn magic had genders in the first place. Simply put, the direction a unicorn’s magic spins in their core strongly influences the effect of the spell. Up-spin magic, the form 98% of the male population possessed, would be difficult to use to fuel a spell designed for down-spin, the form an equal percentage of mares possessed. And, although other “directions” of spin were known, they were so rare that there was little to no documentation on them.

Which is why the events that would happen in a few seconds and exactly one floor up from Professor Hex’s hall would have come to define his career as a spin-theorist, had he known what to look for and had followed through. Why?

Twilight Sparkle was performing her entrance examination.


“Well, Ms. Sparkle, we’re waiting…” the examiner stated, doing her best to look apathetic. Strictly speaking, Twilight Sparkle had already earned her place in this school on merit of her written tests alone, they were that good. But the examiner had to follow the rest of protocol regardless, and it was hard. The genius filly in front of her would be a pleasure to teach - she was sure of it – and the thought made her want to smile. Yet protocol for the impossible portion of the test dictated she act only with apathy in order to test the filly’s ability to handle failure.

As Twilight Sparkle jumped around the unfertilized dragon egg, trying in vain to hatch it, the examiner made notes. And, as Twilight humbly admitted defeat, the examiner noted a perfect 100% on her score card.


Light flashed outside the window, followed by a tremendous boom which shook the room. A floor below, Professor Hex was interrupted from a tangent on the effects of magic spin on uncontrolled magical release by the sonic rainboom, and then the crushing sensation he knew to be a unicorn nearby suffering from the very thing he was discussing.

He levitated his papers, and then stepped to the left/right. Or more accurately, he simultaneously stepped to both the left and the right due to the interaction of his own magic to the flux field generated by the unicorn filly above. Disoriented by the sudden sensation of existing in two otherwise mutually exclusive timelines, the two Hexes stumbled further in their respective directions and then cut their magical flow.

Senses suddenly restored to normal, the left Hex dismissed his class and headed to the left door of the lecture hall, now unaware that his doppelganger had done the same while moving towards the right exit.

As they say, the single flap of a butterfly’s wings can create future storms.


Twilight Sparkle was, in some ways, more and less lucky than the divergent Hexes. The fluctuations in the field caused by the middle aged professor’s movement imparted a unique spin on Twilight Sparkle’s rapidly depleting magical core, stabilizing some of the effects that her surge had on the local timeline, permanently affixing those effect to her. But, since Hex had moved in different directions, it had imparted two different spins, in-spin and out-spin, frequently associated with a form of dark and light magic respectively.

In the out-spin timeline, Twilight’s surging magic struck every pony in the room, hatched the dragon using a portion of her own essence as fuel to grow the dragon's half soul, transformed her parents into potted plants, healed the aches and pains of the judges, and grew the hatchling out of the building, which caught the eyes of Princess Celestia in the process. The cutie mark that appeared on her flank depicted a blue crystal tree with a starburst engraving upon it.

In the in-spin timeline, Sparkle - what she would eventually shorten her name to - struck every pony in the room with her surging magic, created a pseudo-dracolich out of the egg by fusing a portion of her own essence with the dragon's unfinished soul, stole the souls of her parents, rotted the flesh off the judges, and sent off a burst of semi-necromatic energy that had every unicorn and alicorn in Canterlot puking their guts out for the next hour. The cutie mark that appeared on her flank depicted a black crystal skull holding a starburst in its fanged jaw.

When the out-spinning Twilight was calmed down by Celestia, it calmed her counterpart as well. Seconds later, one went into shock at being accepted as Celestia’s personal student. The other went into a deeper shock, seeing the death she had wrought and hearing her parent’s screams echoing within her skull even as their bodies cooled. The in-spinner collapsed to the ground, only observed by the filly she could have been, and despaired.

Twilight, the budding healer and inventor, would look back at her silent doppelganger, seemingly invisible to her family, and wonder briefly before thoughts of celebration and ice cream pushed such musings aside.

Sparkle, the budding necromancer and mercenary, would be found by the staff of the school and taken to hospital, where she would spend three days in a trauma-induced coma. She would awaken curled up with the pseudo-dragon and her brother sleeping restlessly in a nearby chair. That would be the last truly peaceful day she had for a long while.

And as the two mares parted, the two timelines would peel apart and render each mare isolated from her doppelganger. The timelines would temporarily merge again when they eventually discovered their hidden connection in the days and weeks to come.

Author's Note:

Confused? Twilight is a filly with light magic in one timeline, Sparkle has dark magic in the other timeline.

Chapters Next