• Published 17th Jan 2015
  • 3,288 Views, 223 Comments

Shimmering Sunsets - Evowizard25



Have you ever wanted to go to a different world? Well, our characters probably didn't, but they went anyways. Now they're going to have to try and live with their new worlds until they can return home...easier said than done.

  • ...
7
 223
 3,288

Mercs Aren't That Loyal

Fortune steeled herself as she prepared to go through the portal. She didn’t like this thing. It just gave her the creeps. It wasn’t that she ‘hated’ magic, but it tended to have bad tidings from time to time. So she did her best to keep her cool. Well, that and check herself in the mirror. She made sure her mane was ready and her helmet tucked away. She wanted to make sure he could see her well enough. Which is also why she wasn’t wearing her armor, but instead her elegant, military dress uniform. It fit her form well and she was still a bit fidgety.

She didn’t have the best luck with stallions and he was cute. Well, if you liked featherbodies. Still, he was really cute for a warlock so she thought she might try her luck. She had given him plenty of signals. Hopefully, he picked them up. They were quite subtle. With one last breath, she pressed through the portal with several soldiers present with her. She’d just have to make due with what she had.

The dark cloaked form of the chief warlock, Blight, was right in her face as she passed through. "Fortune...daughter of Blizzard...ally. Do not eat." he muttered. Clicking sounds from the shadows above receded. "What are you doing here now?"

“My father wants a status report,” Fortune snorted, making sure to show this warlock that he didn’t startle her and that she wasn’t scared of him. Okay, he may have startled her though, but she kept that to herself. “The plan has had some...bumps and he wants to know if you’re still up to schedule. Are you?”

"Yes. Your incompetence will not hinder me." he said in a deadpan, flat monotone. "My time table has not altered, despite the intruders attempts."

“Incompetence?” Fortune growled, bearing her fangs. “Listen here, warlock. I come from a line of pure pegasi who have stayed to the true path. You have no right to talk to me in such a manner.”

"The time table is unchanged." the warlock repeated, unimpressed. "I trust things aren't going too badly on your side if you have time to change your clothes before coming to this side."

“I have my reasons,” Fortune held her muzzle in the air, snootily. “And it is going well enough on our side. Of course, the Celestial Guard have picked up on our scent. No matter. Our soldiers can deal with them well enough.”

The cloaked figure nodded slowly. "I can offer one of my pets as an aid if you wish. They can be quite...effective." Chittering sounds from above greeted the suggestion.

“We’ll see if they are,” Fortune snorted. She doubted if those creatures could match a wyvern’s ferocity. “Send them in and be quick about it.”

"I'll send two. We have intruders of our own after all." Blight said, before starting to click unnaturally within his hood. Shadowy shapes slid from the walls and into the portal, crawling in from the upper edge. "They should be enough to aid your men, especially in those tight tunnels."

Fortune quirked an eye at the shadowy shapes, but said nothing. “Right...well, thank you for your assistance and...FIRESTORM!” Her smile nearly split her face when she saw the stallion. She lifted her hoof and started waving. “Yoohoo~”

"Fortune, how's it hangin'?" Firestorm said, flying over. His own robes were mostly pulled back, letting him show of his (in his own opinion) striking good looks. "How's my favorite little soldier?...you're Dad's not here right?"

Fortune giggled, blushing as she looked over the hot stallion. She just hoped she was pretty enough to catch his eyes. “Oh you don’t have to worry about him. He’s busy setting up the defenses on my side. So we have quite some time before he catches whiff of you.”

"Awesome...wait, defenses? Don't tell me you have meddlers on your side too?" Firestorm asked, concerned.

"Will you two take your hormones elsewhere? I'm trying to work here." Blight complained, his voice taking on the slightest tinge of irritation.

“Right, come Firestorm. We can ‘talk’ elsewhere.” Fortune walked over and nuzzled underneath his chin. She cooed, which sounded similar to a cat’s purr, though it held a fire to it.

"Sweet...what about your soldiers?" he asked.

“Oh them,” Fortune rolled her eyes and turned back to them. “Leave us.” Of course, to most that sounded like a harsh horse/feline mixture of sounds and growls. The soldiers bowed, before taking positions elsewhere. “Now,” she nudged him. “Let’s leave the irritable grouch to his business.”

"Gladly." Firestorm said, not wanting to admit that he was rather nervous about the "irritable grouch" and his "pets". There was a reason the guy was in charge after all. "So, how are things going with you?"

Fortune’s face turned downcast, her ears falling backwards. “...It’s going alright. Just a little worn out is all. No big deal.” She lied.

"Yeah well, Picture Perfect screwed up. We had a prisoner and she let her escape." Firestorm grumbled. "Figures the illusionist can't handle a pony immune to illusions."

Fortune chuckled. “True. I’m sure you could have stopped it if you were there.” She nuzzled him. “I’m glad my father let me come over for a bit. It’s good to get away from all the stress and oncoming battle going on. Not going to look forward to fighting both the Celestial Guard and Crystal Ponies.”

"Well if all goes well you won't need to. Blight's almost got the portal stabilized, and worst comes to worst you all could just flee to this side and let the portal close behind you, and reestablish contact in two years. Probably with a homeland under hoof." Firestorm pointed out. "You'd probably make a very cute district governor."

Fortune blushed and used a wing to play with her mane. “I am not cute.”

"You're right, you're gorgeous." Firestorm said smoothly, flashing a smile. Unlike most local ponies, his dark magic had given him noticeable, sharp fangs via mutation. Apparently, that made him even better looking with the Enclave, another good reason to help them settle in.

Fortune’s blush intensified and she gave a little nervous nicker. “W-well, thank you. I’m sure you say that with all the mares though.” While she was full of bravado with most, in romance, she was really a little kitten. Helped that, well, she’d never had a stallion ‘that’ much interested in her. Well, except to get in her father’s good graces, but those didn’t last long since her father was good at weeding them out.

Firestorm shrugged, flashing a confident smile. "Yeah, maybe to the good looking ones, but they always turn green when I suggest we go get some meat. Seems they can't handle it when they're "dark, mysterious, dangerous bad boy" turns out to be dark and dangerous. You on the other hoof not only blow them out of the water in terms of looks, but you're not some weak willed sheep in pony clothing that faints at the sight of some...improved dental detail."

“I think it looks great,” Fortune nickered in appreciation as she kept her body close to him. Her wing fluttered softly against his side and she kept her head as close to his as she could. “They’re nice, large fangs. Any mare would love to have a stallion with a pair like those back home. Not to mention ones attached to….such a delicious body~” She blushed and looked away. Flirting was not her strong point. “Still...thank you for the compliment.”

"Um, is this a bad time?" a soldier asked, walking up. "Cause, like, we got, like, stuff to say and stuff."

“Yes it is,” Fortune growled, bearing her fangs in and flexing her wings in a show of both dominance and irritation. “What do you want?”

The soldier raised her hoof to talk...then faltered and turned to her partner. "Um, what was it again and stuff?"

“We’ve captured the intruders, sir.” The other soldier said, keeping a firm posture.

“You what?” Fortune blinked a few times, before turning to Firestorm. “I guess that clears up one problem.”

"Wait, which intruders? Like, all of them?" Firestorm asked. "Cause last time I checked, that group included Sunset Bucking Shimmer. You mean to tell me you guys beat her without any magical backup?"

“We’re just that awesome, sir.” The soldier stated. “We have Fortune with us. It was all the inspiration we needed to best that hornhead.”

Fortune beamed and nodded, soaking in the praise. “Of course that’s all you needed. None can stand in the way of the Enclave. Good work soldiers. We’ll be sending some more troops into the tunnels to help you transport them.”

“We’ve got it covered, sir.” The soldier responded.

"Oh really?" Firestorm asked. "So, where are they?"

“Still in the tunnels, sir.” The soldier answered. “She used some ice spells on our wyverns, so we’re trying to wake them up before we get a move on.”

"Really? Huh, figured that's what you used to beat her." Firestorm said. "I just have to hear this. How did you beat one of the most powerful unicorn mages in the modern age without your highly trained war beasts?"

“Through skill, determination….and a rock.”

“...A rock?” Fortune deadpanned.

“It was a big rock,” the soldier answered.

"I, like, dropped it on her head when I, like, bumped into it on the ceiling. It was just hanging there all pointy, ya know?" the other soldier said. "That's, like, a good thing right? Do I get a promotion?"

Fortune gaped. “A pointy rock? You felled her with a pointy rock? We were supposed to take her alive.”

“It was just a flesh wound,” the other soldier quickly added.

"Lucky you." Firestorm said. "If you actually killed a bearer and freed up the element for any schmuck to use, well, we'd have been right pissed off."

“Don’t you need to be a chosen one or something for that to happen?” The soldier pointed out. “Bear some sort of quality for it to work and prove your worth? ‘Cause if not, than they are kind of lame magical artifacts.”

“They are not-”

“Lame.”

“Did you just call me lame?”

“No, the artifacts, sir.”

"Yes, because anti-evil artifacts that can be used by anybody expressing the propped trait if the old wielder is no more is totally something you shouldn't create for ease of use." Firestorm quipped. "You clearly want it to be as difficult as possible to use your ancient artifacts of good."

“Wouldn’t that kind of make it easier for us, though?” The soldier asked. “Kill one and it could be centuries before someone ever could grasp the Element or something like that.”

“Quick question,” Fortune scoffed. “Are you an expert on magical artifacts?”

“...No.”

“Than shut up!” Fortune barked, growling deep in her throat. Her posture was entirely aggressive and just spoke ‘obey’. The soldier quickly kneeled down, keeping her head low. Fortune moved over and kept her head over the soldier’s, letting her fangs trail over it. “I am your commanding officer. You will cease your prattle, or I rip out your throat. Is that understood, soldier?”

“Yes, sir.”

"Wait, do you want us to stop talking or I mean yes sir!"

"Heh, these two are a riot." Firestorm said. "So, how long until you guys bring those prisoners here?"

One of the soldiers, nudged the other one. “Answer him.”

"Oh right. Uh, soon." she said, sounding way too proud of saying something that dumb.

“Make it a quick ‘soon’,” Fortune growled, before narrowing her eyes. She trotted over to the other soldier, who was still standing. Than as quick as a whip, her fanged mouth clamped down on the armored neck and pushed her downwards into a kneeling position. She growled in a commanding tone, shaking it a bit. She held that place for a moment, before pulling back up. “Learn your place, soldier.”

"Hey, Fortune, you should get some of your guys over here." Firestorm suggested.

“I’ll send them now,” Fortune grumbled, walking back to his side. She nuzzled underneath his chin. “I’ll even send that Earther, Suri, as well.”

"Cool. Could you bring them over here first though? I have a couple things I want to say in the face of our victory." Firestorm said. "You know, inspirational and stuff."

“Very well, Firestorm.” Fortune turned over to the other two. She snorted as she trotted in front of them, making sure to give the ‘relaxed’ soldier a withering glare to make sure that she remembered her lesson. “Follow him.”

“Yes, sir.” One of the soldier’s quickly saluted.

"Yes sir mam sir!" the other one said, snapping her own quick, if slightly sloppy, salute.

“Firestorm?” Fortune frowned, her wing started to play her her mane as she grew a bit nervous. “Make it quick. I wanted to get away from all the stress and it’s been awhile since we’ve talked.”

"Oh this shouldn't take too long." he assured her, leasing their group over to the waiting soldiers and merceny. "Hey guys, got some important news, so pay attention."

The soldiers all stood at attention, with a couple making sure the wyvern was settled and not trying to eat the warlock like it wanted. Suri Polomare on the other hoof. Well….She was leaning back against the wall, sharpening her blade while occasionally giving her two ‘pets’ a piece of meat. Said pets were two, twenty-three feet long Dilophosauruses. The two dinosaurs had a fine coat of dark gray, black spotted proto feathers as well as highly defined twin red crests on their heads. The lithe dinosaurs were peacefully laying around her and neither of them nor her lifted their head to look at the warlock.

"Alright then, first of all," Firestorm says, suddenly popping the helmets off the two soldiers next to him and revealing Lightning Dust and Masquerade, "these two are spies. Get them."

The trained soldiers pounced within a second of the order being given. However, Lightning lived up to her name and flew backwards out of the way of several soldiers. She snarled , bearing her fangs in challenge. “Who wants to die first?”

“Typical,” Suri lazily remarked. “Warlock gets his goons to do the job.”

"Why not?" Firestorm said, shrugging. "She counters my spells and the other counters Picture. Get them and we basically win."

Suri snorted as she petted one of the dinosaur’s heads. “Oh really? Then who are….” The moment Suri’s face locked on Lightning’s, the earth mare’s own turned a deep red. “L-Lightning Dust? She’s here?!!”

"Please tell me you hate her and this is your chance at vengeance?" Firestorm said casually.

"Please tell me you don't." Mask said, trying to avoid the soldiers trying to grab her.

Suri glared at the both of them. “That’s none of your business.” She huffed and went back to her work. “Just get me when you lose and I have to save your sorry arses or something.”

Firestorm frowned, his eyes leaking green smoke, glowing purple. "Are you saying you won't do your job?"

“I was paid to help only when I was needed,” Suri stated. “That’s help dealing with this world’s Element’s, that is. Doesn’t look like that gem eyed mare is putting up much of a fight, so I’m not needed right now and don’t try that show on me. The last warlock that tried to intimidate me ended up as these meat scraps for my babies.” She cooed to the two, large dinos and offered them another scrap of meat.

Fortune pulled out her contract, before groaning. “She’s bloody well got a point….Say, how about you just knock her out now and be done with it. We’ll take care of Lightning.”

“Why don’t I just go into the tunnels and take out the others now?” Suri raised an eyebrow. “Surely your soldiers can take out just two mares, or maybe not.”

Fortune growled. “What are you implying?”

"Just go and get them. They should be where the outpost they defeated was." Firestorm sighed. "Before I change my mind that your reputation is worth putting up with."

The two Dilophosaurs growled, getting up and looking down at the stallion. Suri raised a hoof to call them off and hopped to up. “Fine. I’ll be back shortly.” She trotted off. “...Don’t hurt Lightning too much, or you’ll have to answer to me.” She commented before she was in the tunnels and out of sight.

"Seriously, how do you know her?" Mask asked.

“We bumped into each other a few times,” Lightning remarked, slamming a hoof into a jaw. “A few times as fillies, that Blood Mage incident, times like that. She’s a pretty cool mare when she’s on your side.”

"Yes we'll she's not on your side she is on ours." Firestorm pointed out. "And how have you not at least grabbed the actor yet?"

"I may be an actor," Mask notes, "but I'm also very good at avoiding dangerous things due to sheer experience."

“This is taking too long,” Fortune growled and took in a deep breath. Her chest expanded and then she let out a large wave of icy wind which struck the two and the soldiers around them. “Dodge, you idiots!”

Lightning Dust was pushed back by the attack. Her fur and feathers were matted by the ice, with only her own electricity keeping most of that attack at bay. “Ice Elemental, eh?” She grinned, trying to shake the power and coldness of the attack off.

Mask did so much more easily, the ice literally skidding of her body. "Natural water repulsion. Works just as well on frozen water."

Fortune growled. “Why doesn’t anything just work in my favor?” She snorted and her eyes turned icy white. “Then I’ll just have to beat you in close combat.” With a flap of her wings, she was off the ground. The air around her turned as frigid as the peak of a mountain as snow blew around her. Then she charged with great speed for Mask, slamming into the gem eyed pony with her outstretched hooves. With a quick spin kick, she sent Mask flying into the wall.

"Gah! World's spinning, hold on a second." Mask said, tapping her left gem a couple times. "There we go, working again. And ow." She then flopped to the ground, not moving.

“One down,” Fortune grinned. “One more to-”

She never saw the hoof flying into her face until it was too late. She spun out of control, before she was able to right herself. Lightning Dust was giving her a death glare. “You hurt my friend! You’re going to pay!” Lightning arced around her body, the same as her namesake.

And then she was inside a metal cage. "I think not." Picture said, lazily walking forward. "We have you now."

“HA!” Lightning grinned. “This cage isn’t real. It’s a trick like that jerk who dated me.” She reeled back a hoof and punched the cage’s bars. She pulled her hoof back. “Ow, what the hay? This is supposed to be a cheap trick. You warlocks always reuse them...You’re kind of stupid like that.”

"We're a better breed." Firestorm said, shrugging. "Why stick with one thing, when you can have more?"

"You only have your tornadoes." Picture pointed out with a sneer.

"For now," Firestorm hedged, "I'm working on adding new things to the list. I'm nowhere near as well experienced a warlock as you are after all. That would take several decades."

"How dare you!" Picture snapped, eyes leaking red smoke as she glared with orange eyes.

“Don’t even think about it, missy.” Fortune growled, several ice spears forming around her. “He’s mine, grandma.”

"Ga-ga-grandma! How dare you! I'm only thirty! That's not old!" Picture insisted.

Firestorm rolled his eyes. "I think you missed out a few decades. Just how much were you smoking in the nine sixties?"

Fortune giggled and nuzzled his cheek. “I think he has you beat. So why don’t you be a good warlock and put the Elements away.”

"Alright fi-" Picture turned to find a now conscious Mask having picked open the cage and let an angry Lightning Dust out. "She was faking?"

Mask did an exaggerated 'tada' style hoof wave. "Actor!"

“ALRIGHT!” Lightning grinned. “Now let’s brawl.”

"Let's not." Mask said, giving her partner a quick yank. "I ain't a fighter and they outnumber us, running's the smart move."

“Awww,” Lightning deflated, her lightning stopped in its tracks. “Not even a little?”

"No, now move!" Mask said, flapping for all she was worth back out the entrance to the cavern chamber. Lightning Dust was hot on her trail. She could easily out fly the gem eyed mare, but she was never going to leave one of her friends behind.

“Get back here!” Fortune roared, flapping her wings to catch up.

Firestorm stopped her however with a body block. "Woah woah, were you about to rush after them alone while they're retreating, probably to backup that includes a super unicorn?"

Fortune frowned. “....Maybe?” She gave him a sheepish grin and an embarrassed blush. “Well….I didn’t think that far ahead.” She sighed, before giving him a warm knicker. “Thank you.”

"Hey, what kind of stallion would I be if I let my lovely little thing go rushing of into a trap like that?" Firestorm asked.

"A proper warlock." Picture quipped, frowning. "So now what do we do genius?"

Firestorm smiled. "I say we leave that to our military experts. Well dear?"

“He thinks I’m lovely,” Fortune murmured to herself with a blush, before squealing and glomping him. “Mine!”

“Umm...sir?” One of the soldiers spoke up. “Don’t you think we should be worrying about, you know, the Elements?....Sir?”

"Would you cease your hormonal babbling? I'm trying to undermine the laws of reality over here." Blight growled out. "Honestly, nopony can be professional these days it seems."

“Shhh!” Fortune hissed to the warlock. “I’m working here!”

“You’re hugging, sir.” A soldier pointed out.

“I can nuzzle my stallion and plan at the same time, you idiots!” Fortune growled at them. “We’ll get a few crews to set up some traps for them if Suri doesn’t work out. A couple enhanced wyverns should seal the deal.”

"Can your little mercenary do it?" Picture asked, sneering. "We haven't seen much from her so far, and all we have is your word that she's worth the money you've thrown at her."

“She’s the best of the best,” Fortune snorted, before going back to nuzzle Firestorm. “So she’ll deal with them. Now that that’s settled, I think we can continue where we left off, Firestorm.” She purred.

"Just do it where I can't hear you." Blight commanded.

“Grumpy old tart,” Fortune growled. “He’s almost as annoying as my father at times.”

Picture started sweating. "I'm sure she meant it as a compliment to your commanding presence."

"I don't care." Blight said, sounding slightly annoyed, shuffling slightly under his cloak. "Just stop talking needlessly."

“Fine,” Fortune snorted and let go of Firestorm. “I don’t want to be near him anyways. I have a date, I mean, someone to discuss battle plans with post haste.”

"So...those traps sir?" one of the soldiers asked.

“By our ancestors,” Fortune face-hooved. “Just set them up along the pathways here, just a little distance out and then inwards. Nothing too powerful, just traps to detain and knock them out. That should be a simple task.”

“Yes, sir.” The soldiers saluted and went off to do their duty.

"I swear, it's like the grunts get dumber every day." Picture grunted before retiring to her private tent.

Firestorm rolled his eyes. "Why don't we ah, discuss strategy, in my personal quarters?"

Fortune gulped, blushing madly. “I..That’s a good idea. Umm...You can lead.” She had lost her confident nature, taking on something akin to her friend’s.

***********************
"You think they'll be okay?" Sunset worried. "I know we didn't have any better plans, but..."

“They’ll be fine,” Quickfix assured her. “Lightnin’s a fighter, like me. Ain’t nothin’ gonna keep her down. That’s a fact. Ah’m sure they’re on their way back here right now.”

AJ cocked her head. "Ya'll hear somethin'?"

Fiddlesticks put a hoof to her ear. “Sounds like somepony’s comin’, but those other steps are funny soundin’.”

“That’s because I wanted you to know I was coming,” a voice called out.

Sunset's horn started glowing. "Yeah, not the smartest move there."

The Earth snorted as she walked into the cavern. Her two large dinosaurs at her flanks. “You obviously don’t know who I am, do you Sunset? I’m not surprised, but still I’m a bit offended you would think so little of me now.”

"...is it wrong I want to ask for your autograph before we kick your flank?" Sunset asked. "I'm kind of a big fan of your work on our side."

Suri Polomare blinked in confusion. “...Huh?”

"You're kind of famous here, as a fashion designer, and I admire your work. It's very high quality." Sunset explains. "Very stylish."

Suri frowned. “Well, she seems like a lucky mare. I’m sorry I didn’t go down that road, but life was a bit of an arse, so I have to make due. Still, at least somepony appreciates my designs.” She pulled herself to the side, showing off her attire. It showed how ‘lithe’ she was, even more so than an Earth should be, more akin to that of a unicorn with its grace. “I made this a few years back and it’s served me well. Is the style similar to her’s?”

"I don't know much about armor, but the cuts really show off your grace and don't seem to have anything that would impede your movement in any notable way. And it's well coordinated. Lacks her flair for color, but you were going for a practical design." Sunset noted. "Honestly that's rather well made, but like I said not an expert on armor."

“Well color can get in the way of a fight sometimes,” Suri said. “Especially when you’re trying to keep yourself hidden well enough. As for the autograph,” she shrugged. “Why not? No one’s asked me for one before, so I might as well indulge this once.”

"Cool, just a moment." Sunset floated some parchment, a quill, and ink over to her. "No reason we can't be civil."

“No reason at all,” Suri quickly used her hoof to write down on the parchment. “And there we go. Nice and neat as it should be.”

Sunset levitated it back into her pouch. "Thank you. So, any chance we can settle this peacefully?"

Suri tapped her chin. “Possibly, but I have an image to maintain. I can’t just go and stab my benefactors in the back whenever it suited me. I’d be out of a job if I kept doing that. So unless you have something ‘spectacular to offer me right this instance,” she tapped the ground and the two Dilophosaurs took a battle position. “This isn’t going to end well for you.”

“Ah’ve faced dinos and won,” Quickfix snorted. “Ah know how to handle those critters.”

“My babies are a little different,” Suri grinned.

"So that's a di-nee-sar?" AJ asked. "Why's they covered in feathers then? Thought they were scaly."

“They’re related to birds,” Suri stated, scoffing at the misinformation. “So of course they have feathers.”

"They are?" Sunset asked, clearly interested. "We don't have them here for study, so we don't know much about them. Any other common myths or ideas that you learned were wrong when they came back?"

“They’re warm blooded, so your little trick on the wyverns won’t work on them.” Suri stated. “I’m not exactly an expert on what we considered ‘myths’ centuries ago. All I know is what they are now.”

"Wait, this was during Discord's first fit? I figured he just brought them back when he escaped the second time." Sunset said. "So, do they lay eggs or is that wrong too?"

“Eggs,” Suri said. “They make the nest, watch over them, all that.”

"Fascinating. Do you mind if I sketch them?" Sunset asked, levitating out more ink and parchment. "It's really fascinating seeing what is basically an extinct species in the flesh."

Suri shrugged. “Not at all. Might as well. We can fight afterwards. Grant, Gabon, lie down for the nice mare.”

The two Dilophosaurs grumbled in confusion, tilting their heads in a bird like fashion. Their master had readied them for battle and now no one was fighting. They were confused, but master seemed happy. So they did as they were asked, lying down on the ground. Suri ran her hoof through their proto feathers.

"Unless I can come up with a really good offer you said." Sunset pointed out, walking over and starting to sketch them. "So, how did you come up with their names?"

“I didn’t,” Suri stated. “My master named them before he gave me the eggs. I could have renamed them, but they were a gift from my master.” She gave both her boys a comforting rub on their head.

"Master? Ya a martial art-eest or somthin'?" AJ asked.

“Griffin merc,” Quickfix put in. “He settled in Ponyville in retirement and she went off on her own afterwards.”

“I still love the thrill of it all too much to give it up so soon,” Suri stated. “I know quite a bit of hoof to hoof combat, Applejack, but that’s not all I know.”

"Ya also know fashin." the farmer stated. "Just like Sunset and Rarity."

"Oh, I forgot to tell Rarity I might not be able to make the next spa trip because of Element stuff." Sunset said, frowning. "I need to wrap this up soon, or she's going to be quite upset."

“Well that might be longer than you think,” Suri narrowed her eyes.

“Oh, Apple Bloom wants ta thank ya fer the little outfit.” Fiddlesticks piped up.

Suri beamed. “I’m glad that little cutie is loving it. I had to give her something for being so nice.”

"Wait a gosh darn minute. What's all this bout Bloom?" AJ asked.

“Oh it’s nothing really,” Suri shrugged. “My last visit to Ponyville wasn’t the most...pleasant. Little Apple Bloom was honestly one of the nicer ponies. My master adored her boldness. So I made her a little dress. Dress making is a hobby of mine.”

"That makes sense." Sunset noted. "Hmmm, a little hard to get the pattern down on the feathers, it's a bit complex. Anyway, like I said earlier, famous fashionista. I'm sure the dress you made was quite stylish."

“Thank you,” Suri smiled, stroking the Dilophosaurs. “I like to draw inspiration from nature when designing my dresses, especially my little babies.” The two Dilophosaurs were eying Sunset, trying to peer over to see what she was doing.

"Quit moving, it's hard to draw all the small details if you keep moving." Sunset chastised them.

Mask facehoofed a bit. "I can't believe we actually found a badguy we can have a pleasant conversation with, and Sweetie Drops isn't here to see it."

"Ah know. This is, like, the sort of thing she always wanted the big time adventures ta turn out like." AJ agreed.

The two Dilophosaurs whined and laid their heads down. “Oh, don’t be so blue.” Suri nuzzled them. “She isn’t being mean. No she isn’t~” She cooed to them.

“She’s not a badguy,” Fiddlesticks pointed out. “She’s a merc. She’s only bein’ paid ta do bad stuff…Ah mean, that’s gotta count fer somethin’.” She gave a little shrug.

"So, how much are you being paid for this anyway? I mean it's kind of a messed up mission, it can't be enough." Mask asked.

“Of course it’s a messed up mission,” Suri rolled her eyes. “I’m working for the bottom of the barrel picks when it comes to the Enclave and….” She scowled. “Warlocks.” She spat out the word like it was a disease, before getting her composure back. “However, payment is confidential. That is between me and my employer….It’s not a lot, but it’s still between me and them.”

"Okay...was the amount you were offered worth more than a fancy ball dress?" Mask asked. "Just as a ballpark idle guess."

“I can’t confirm or deny that,” Suri stated, while tapping her crossbow once.

"...worth less than a breadbox?" Mask asked, eyeing the crossbow.

“I don’t work that cheap,” Suri furrowed her brow. “What do you take me for?”

"So you will comment if it's insultingly low." Mask said. "I thought you weren't supposed to talk about it."

"Mask, don't be rude. I'm trying to draw dinosaurs over here." Sunset scolded. "Say Suri, how advanced is potion craft over in your world?"

“Incredibly advanced, why do you ask?” Suri tilted her head in confusion.

"I've got some top tier potions I was hoping I could trade, but now I'm not sure if they'd be valuable or not." Sunset explained. "I've got a few healing potions, some aqua vitae and some alcahest already made up, and some ingredients to make other things as well."

“Hmm,” Suri rubbed her chin. “Potion making varies between the races. I would say the zebras are the masters of potion making, but their tribes and little kingdoms like to guard most of their secrets. Still, I might be able to fetch a pretty bit for them. What do you have in mind for this trade?”

"Well I figured with you traveling so much aqua vitae might be a good initial offer." Sunset explained, levitating what looked like a perfume bottle. "One squirt in the mouth and you are fully hydrated for twenty four hours, even in the middle of a blazing fire or under the relentless sun of the wasteland."

“Hmmm, I could see that earning quite the bit with some of the desert legions.” Suri grinned, before frowning. “And what do you want for it?”

"For you to decide they aren't paying you enough and go home." Sunset explained. "Not even asking you to fight for us or anything." She gave the bottle a little shake. "There's about, thirty doses in here."

“If it had just been the Enclave,” Suri looked Sunset in the eye as she spoke. “I would be insulted by this offer. It’s tempting, but I am a mare of my word. I never leave a contract unfinished or go back on it before it is done….However, I have to work with warlocks.” She seethed. “I’ll take you up on the offer...this time.”

"And this one time is all I'm asking." Sunset said, before smiling. "Besides, I bet they never told you about the warlocks ahead of time, so technically they lied to you about what the job was. Totally their fault for trying to cheat you, right?"

“Right,” Suri nodded, before nuzzling her pets. “Isn’t she right, babies? Isn’t she?” They crooned as she rubbed them behind their heads. “You’ll get to fight someone soon. I promise and there is going to be a big treat in it for you. Yes there is.” She cooed.

"Here you go." Sunset said, floating the bottle over to the merc. "And just...about...done." Sunset finished the sketches, showing off her horn work with very detailed drawings.

Suri nodded and took the bottle. “Pleasure doing business with you.” The two dilophosaurs leaned forward and curiously peered at the paper. They gave it a quick sniff, before turning to Sunset. They leaned forward, letting their long necks peer over and sniff Sunset as well. Then they gave her a quick nuzzle and lick, careful not to scrap her with their large fangs.

"I'm glad you like it." Sunset said, standing up and placing the scroll in her pouch. "You all have a nice day now."

“I’m not leaving yet,” Suri stood up as well as her dinos. “As I’m not working for them anymore, I’m not obligated to protect the warlocks. I promised my babies a special treat, so…” She quickly stood on her hindlegs and prepped her crossbow in her forelegs. “I’ll help you out on this venture.”

"Um, thank you I guess." Sunset said. "I wasn't expecting that much from you I have to admit."

“I hate warlocks,” Suri’s eyes blazed with scorn as she said it. “I don’t think the word ‘hate’ begins to describe how I feel about them.”

Of course, whatever more she was about to say was cut off when Fiddlesticks pulled her into a bonecrushing hug. Given how Suri had a more lithe and unicorn figure, regardless of her Earth Pony side, she was out of breath as the hug continued. “YAY! Suri’s comin’ with us.”

“Let her breath, Fiddlesticks.” Quickfix pried her friend off.

"Yeah" Mask agreed. "Oh, also, infiltration plan failed, FYI. They spotted me an Lightning out quick."

“Lightning?” Suri’s eyes widened. “Is she alright? Was she hit?”

“Ask her yourself,” Lightning smashed down behind her, causing her to jump up in surprised. Lightning chuckled. “Got you that time. Geez, it’s like just saying my name around you causes you to freeze up. What’s your deal, Suri?”

“I’m just concerned is all,” Suri shrugged, blushing a bit. “You are a friend.” Quickfix added a hyphen with her hooves when she said ‘friend’, causing Fiddlesticks to chuckle.

"What about the knights? Where are they?" Mask asked, looking around.

"Securing the prisoners and making sure they can't go anywhere." Sunset said. "We weren't expecting Suri to show up, but some friendly chatting later and everything is fine. Yeay friendship!"

“Yay!” Fiddlesticks pulled out little flags that said ‘friendship’ from her hat and waved them about. “Friendship 1. Warlocks zip...Wait, are we countin’ the times we beat ‘em by wit and force, or just friendshipping our problems?” Fiddlesticks pulled out a scoreboard from there as well.

"Full on friendship." Sunset says. "No righteous face bucking."

“That’s no fun,” Quickfix and Lightning whined. Fiddlesticks and Suri just rolled their eyes. Her two dilophos, on the other hand, were peering around the new group, sniffing them. The large dinosaurs could be a little unnerving at full height, since they towered over them and could easily rip them to shreds.

"Down boys...girls...yous." Mask said. "I normally love attention, but not from predators."

“Boys,” Suri corrected. “You’re making her uncomfortable, babies. Give her some space.” The two dinosaurs whined, lowering their heads as they peered at her. “Aww, you’re so cute~”

“Ye don’t see many ponies call stuff like ‘em cute,” Quickfix lamented.

“What about that shark thing you have?” Lightning grumbled. “The one that tries to bite my bite off.”

Quickfix laughed. “That’s his way of saying hello.”

“Oh they used to do that,” Suri nuzzled one of the dilophos. “But they’re good boys. Aren’t you~”

"...does everypony in your universe have a crazy pet?" AJ asked.

“My pet’s a hummingbird,” Lightning piped up. “That’s not exactly crazy. Well, he is crazy awesome if you asked me.”

AJ nods. "An' ah got Winona, so that there makes sense. But a shark?"

“Land shark,” Quickfix piped. “It involved-”

“I’m going to say it was a crazy tale,” Lightning rolled her eyes. “A really unbelievable crazy tale.”

“It happened.”

“It did not.”

“Did too.”

“Did not.”

“Did to.”

Suri put her hooves over her ears. “To think, I thought I got away from these kind of things when I left grade school.”

"Kids." Sunset said, rolling her eyes.

“Cute kids,” Suri sighed, before blinking in embarrassment. “Yes, well, let us be off or something.”

"Hold on, we should probably wait for the knights to get back." Sunset pointed out. "We'd need all the help we can get."

Suri snorted. “I haven’t exactly been ‘popular’ with the knights...or really any official guard unit really. So yeah, no promises I’m going to get along with them.”

"I don't know. I kind of like you." Pansy said, dropping down from the ceiling. "Not a lot of ponies can appreciate predators."

The two dilophosaurs growled at the sudden intruder and formed around Suri. She chuckled and rubbed their sides. “It’s okay. They aren’t going to hurt me. Now be nice to the knight.” She giggled when the two large dinos nuzzled her. “Yes, yes, you’re just looking out for momma, but she can take care of herself.” She turned to Pansy. “They are a hooffull when they want to be, but they are just the sweetest when you get to know them. Not to mention quite nifty in a fight.”

"Cool." Pansy said, tapping her hide cloak with her wings. "I made this back when I was a Knight of the Jaguar, part of the initiation. Had to hunt the thing unarmed by myself."

“I’ve heard of some knights and guardsponies doing something like that,” Suri nodded. Her two dilophosaurs hesitantly moved closer to Pansy, keeping a cautious stance as they slowly made their way over to sniff the new mare. “They just want to be sure you aren’t a threat right now.”

"Well, not a threat to them...right now." she said. "Anyway, you're Suri right? I'm Lady Fragrent Pansy, Knight of the Sun."

“Suri Polomare, Mercenary extraordinaire,” she bowed her head. One of the dilophosaurs gave Pansy a long lick on the cheek, as the other got bored and moved back to Suri.

"And I'm Fortune." the other knight said, walking in casually. "So, power of friendship?"

"And market force negotiations." Mask said, smirking.

“It was kind of a let down,” Quickfix added.

“I liked it,” Fiddlesticks put in. “Isn’t that our job? Spreadin’ friendship?”

“Ah thought it was bustin’ heads,” Quickfix shrugged. “Or science.”

“No, that’s just you, Quickfix.” Lightning said.

"Friendship is the best thing ever." Sunset said. "As is peaceful and practical solutions."

“Well, that’s not how it always works.” Lightning huffed.

“Well, yer just thinkin’ of the big, badguy adventures.” Fiddlesticks pointed out. “An’ even then, we make some friends. Like Shade when we fought Nightmare Moon.”

"Right. That's yer Sunset's special somepony?" AJ asked. "Sounds like friendship worked out mighty fine there."

“He’s not her special somepony,” Quickfix muttered darkly.

“He acts like it,” Fiddlesticks piped up. “Funny, isn’t it. He tried to kill Coco, but now he’s one of our best friends and Sunset’s friend.” She chuckled.

"Friend, or friend?" Mask asked, adding air quotes to the second one.

“Give it a while,” Lightning said. “He’ll be confessing any day now.” Quickfix just huffed at that.

"Ooh," Mask said, noticing Quickfix was upset, "is somepony jealous?"

Quickfix glared at her. “Jealous? Ah’m not jealous. She can have that klutzy warlock wannabe if she wants. Same with him with her. Ah am not jealous.” She huffed and turned away. “Everypony wants a princess. Hmph. He’s an idiot. Hard to deal with.”

"Well ah don't know bout everypony wantin' ta date a princess. Celestia don't date nopony, Luna's new on the scene, and Cadance is already datin' somepony." AJ pointed out. "There ain't exactly options available here."

“Can we stop talkin’ about this?” Quickfix growled. “Ah don’t wanna talk about his love life. Ah don’t care.” She stomped the ground, breaking the crystal under her hooves.

"Moving on," Fortune said, "we need a plan for what to do now."

“I kill them all,” Suri stated.

“That’s not a plan,” Quickfix piped up.

“That’s what I usually work with when it’s not capture missions,” Suri shrugged. “Works well enough for me, but I don’t work with groups that often.”

"No killing." Sunset said. "We've been over this. No killing if we can help it, and as powerful as we are we can definitely help it."

"Great. That doesn't tell us what to do now does it?" Pansey pointed out.

“Oh yeah,” Suri turned to Fortune. “Your double is here waiting for you all and she brought a few of the better troops with her.”

"Great. I call smashing my double's face." Fortune said. "My lucky day. Ever since I learned my double was in their ranks, I've been yearning for the chance to buck her in the face."

Sunset sighed, face hoofing. "We're going to have to resort to beating them up aren't we?"

“Should I mention she’s also banging one of the warlocks?” Suri piped up.

"I'm gonna smash her extra hard." Fortune said.

“She even dressed up all fancy to date him and she’s really clinging to him,” Suri grinned.

“You just want to rile her up, don’t you?” Lightning chuckled.

“Maybe, but it’s true.” Suri chuckled herself.

"...why can evil me get a date huh? Why her?" Fortune growled.

Fregrant patted her head with her wing comfortingly. "There there, it's not your fault evil warlocks have horrible taste. You're ten times the mare she is. And probably better looking to boot.”

“Of course ya are,” Fiddlesticks patted Fortune’s back. “Ah bet ya will find a stallion of yer own in no time. Probably a much better one than some warlock.”

“Shades a warlock,” Lightning pointed out. “What does that say about Sunset?”

“They ain’t datin’,” Quickfix growled, causing Lightning to take a step back.

"Ex warlock. Going good is great for clearing up your sense of priorities...according to everything I've read." Sunset said. "...also, what does Shade look like, and does he have a family or clan name? For...non-romantic reasons." she said that last part with nervous glances and a large smile, almost as bad as AJ or any other Apple with her lying.

Lightning shrugged. “He’s okay looking for a unicorn, I guess.”

Quickfix snorted and rolled her eyes. “He’s more than okay lookin’, if’n ye ask me. He’s got gray fur over some mighty nice muscles. Not too big, but just right. With spikey purple hair...and the deepest purple eyes ye can find.” She stopped to sigh with a smile.

“He’s good with shadow magic, so look fer a cutie mark of purple fire.” Fiddlesticks put in. “As fer a clan, he ain’t got one. He’s the last. His family didn’t have the best of luck, if’n ya know what ah mean.”

“He gets hurt so often he knows the entire hospital staff by name,” Lightning chuckled, before stopping at the other two’s glares. “What? It’s kind of comedic.”

"Not to the local unicorns." Mask said, casting a glance at Sunset, who instead of paying attention was sketching out Shade. "They tend to have...health issues. Unicorns are very unfortunately familiar with hospitals."

“Maybe fer ye southern unicorns,” Quickfix held her head high. “We unicorns of the north are a tougher bunch.”

Lightning snorted. “Yeah, yeah. I get it.” She frowned. “Come to think of it, maybe he has some northern blood in him. I mean, he gets smacked around so much and bounces back. He’s been burned, crushed, smacked and everything else. His life sucks.”

“Yet he’s always smilin’,” Fiddlesticks said, before taking a look at Sunset’s drawing.

“That’s him. Ya got him perfect, Sunset.”

"Yes thank you. I am quite skilled with sketches." Sunset said, putting it away. "So anyway, Suri, anything else you'd like to add?"

Suri shrugged. “They’re heavily armored, but they don’t have much in the way of their bigger weapons. I don’t think they were expecting the Royal Guard to come pouring down their throats so soon.”

"We're not Royal Guard." Fortune said, sighing. "The Knights of the Sun, formerly Knights of the Crown-"

"Formerly?" AJ asked, surprised.

"Yeah, our nickname became official so nopony mixes us up with whatever knights Luna picks out." Fortune explained. "Anyway, we're not the Royal Guard, we are the knights directly under Celestia's command. We're a bit more impressive."

“Actually, I was talking about the Royal Guard on my side of the portal.” Suri pointed out. “Field Marshal Shining Armor is no doubt planning to storm the crystal caverns as we speak. While he doesn’t have a massive force at this moment, he does have a unit of Blood Knights.” She shivered slightly at the last bit.

"Oh...reinforcements yay!" Sunset said. "I was so worried about that, being outnumbered and not able to do anything."

“It’s still not going to be pretty,” Suri remarked. “The Enclave have dug themselves in pretty well. It’ll take a while to push them out.”

"And it's late at night, none of us are fresh." Mask noted. "This is not going to be fun at all."

“Well that gives us two options,” Quickfix piped up. “We either stay put and rest, or we treck on. Now if’n it was just me, ah’d go fer it.”

“Same,” Lightning nodded.

“Ah don’t think that’s the best choice,” Fiddlesticks spoke up. “‘Course, ah haven’t been doin’ much of the fightin’, but don’t ya think we should rest just a bit?”

"Yeah, but is it even safe to rest up at all?" Sunset asked. "I don't think the badguys are going to let us call a time out."

“They never do,” Lightning snorted. “Let’s hit ‘em now. They probably already think Suri took care of us, so they won’t expect it.”

"Hmmm, that could work, but we'd need a solid plan." Sunset pointed out. "We don't exactly have the best luck when it comes to rushing in blindly."

“Well we already tried the stealthy approach,” Quickfix shot both Lightning and Mask an annoyed glance. “So that won’t work.” Lighting was ‘discreetly’ pointing a feather at Mask, whistling innocently.

"Oh you are not blaming this on me. I'm the actor, you're the one who screwed up somewhere." Mask accused, pointing a hoof at Lightning.

“I did not,” Lightning glared at her. “You were the one who did the thing that got us caught. I was totally owning that Enclave performance.”

Mask huffed, turning up her muzzle and looking away. "Oh please, you were totally flat in your delivery. Totally amature."

Lightning grit her teeth. “I was not. You’re just jealous of my fabulous acting skills.” She smirked and ran a hoof through her mane. “I rocked that outfit too.”

"Acting skills? You're delusional." Mask said. "They again, you are Dash 2.0, without the brains."

Lightning’s jaw dropped. “I’m...Without…” She held up a hoof, growling as she bared her fangs. “Say that again, I dare you. I double dog dare you. I’ll make you eat those words.”

"Okay you two, simmer down." AJ said, walking between them. "No need ta fight like two cats in a sack."

“Unless yer into that,” Fiddlesticks piped up. “Ah’m not judgin’, but maybe ya two should go and-”

“Not another word!” Lightning glared her into silence. “Just stop trying to ship ponies, Fiddlesticks. That’s not happening here.”

“Eh,” Fiddlesticks shrugged. “Can’t blame me.”

"What do boats have to do with anything?" Mask asked, confused.

“It’s a play on the post service,” Quickfix piped up. “‘Shippin’’ means taking two ponies and ‘pairin’ them up. Kind of like sendin’ a package, or whatever.” She shrugged. “Don’t ask me why. It’s a silly southern thing, if’n ye ask me.”

"That...makes very little sense." Sunset said, shaking her head. "Right, slang from another reality, why would it make sense?"

“It makes perfect sense,” Fiddlsticks said.

“When does anything you say or do make sense?” Lightning shot back.

“But ya-”

“Never,” Lightning finished.

Fiddlesticks gave her an annoyed gaze. “Really? Yer just gonna...Okay.” She rolled her eyes and huffed. “Not gonna continue.”

"Okay, I think Everypony's tempers are running a bit high." Posey said. "We're tired and a bit cranky. So why don't we all just take a few minutes to sit down, relax, maybe have a snack?"

“Does anyone have a pidgeon?” Lightning grumbled. “Or better yet, some boar. That would be great.”

“Ye know they don’t have that,” Quickfix said.

“I can dream,” Lightning grumbled and rubbed her stomach.

"Suri, ya got any meat fer Lighnin'?" AJ asked, trying to be helpful.

Suri nodded and fished out a clump of meat from one of her saddlebags. She threw it to Lightning, who caught it in her mouth. The pegasus voraciously tore apart the slab, devouring every last bit as quickly as she could. “I always love to see carnivores at work,” Suri sighed with a smile.

Fiddlesticks just looked at Suri with a disgusted ‘really?’ face, doing her best to keep her gaze away from Lightning. “Sure.”

"As fer the rest of us, we can have the stuff Fiddlesticks pack up. Good ol' Apple Family goodness." AJ said smiling. "Where'd ya pack it cuz?"

Fiddlesticks took off her hat and held it upside down. “In here, cuz. Everythin’ ya could want. Apple cider, apple fritters, candy apples-” Pat stuck his head out of the hat. “And a platypus.” She frowned. “Pat, ah told ya to go home. Ya could get hurt.” Pat trilled sadly and went back down.

"Wait, he lives in your hat?" Sunset asked.

"...what was that thing?" Pansey asked. "I've never seen anything like that before in my life."

“Nah, he lives with me in my room, or his own pond when he feels like it.” Fiddlesticks chuckled. “He just likes to sleep in my hat is all. He’s a platypus.”

"The bloody hay is a platypus?" Fortune asked.

"Weird thing from their dimension." Sunset said, shrugging. "I wouldn't worry bout it. Got any sandwiches?"

Fiddlesticks nodded and pulled out an assortment of foods from her hat. Most of which were apple related. “Take yer pick.”

Sunset grabbed herself a non-apple sandwich, floating it over in her golden aura. "Thank you."

Quickfix grabbed herself a couple granny smith apples and started to chow down. “Thanks.”

Lightning finished off the last of her morsel, her muzzle stained with blood. “That hit the spot. Thanks Suri.”

Suri nodded, eating a few hayfries. “No need to thank me. I’m happy to help.” She threw Lightning a towel. “You’ve got a little something on your face.” The pegasus huffed and started to clean it off.

"Got anything that isn't so...apple-y?" Pansey asked...and then noticed the looks she got from AJ and Fiddlesticks. "You know what, apples are...alright, I don't really like them, not going to lie about that just because you're giving me a glare."

“But it’s apples,” Fiddlesticks held one up to her. “Ya can’t hate apples. That’s impossible.”

“Not everyone likes apples,” Lightning said, before gulping at Fiddlesticks freezing up. “Not that I hate apples. No, I love them. Can’t get enough of those apples.” She shoved an apple tart into her mouth.

Quickfix let out an amused snort and shook her head. She patted her farmer friend’s shoulder. “There, there. Ah’m sure ye will change her mind, or just drop it.”

“But...apples.” Fiddlesticks said in a bit of a daze, trying to comprehend somepony not liking apples.

" 'zactly! It's apples." AJ says, nodding in agreement. "Nopony can not like em."

Pansey shrugged. "I spent a lot of time outside Equestria when I was a Jaguar. Got a taste for more exotic stuff."

Fortune rolled her eyes. "Yeah, and half your paycheck is spent on groceries. And that's saying something."

Suri chuckled. “So this is the lot that’s going to try and save the day? Talking about apples.”

"Apples are a mighty fine discussion topic." AJ notes sagely, biting into a red gala.

“I’m sure it is,” Suri took a swig from her canteen. “So what is our plan, hmm? I don’t want to think I’m supporting some fool’s errand.”

"I'm thinking I unleash a magical bombardment, probably opening with another mini-blizzard, to soften them up as an initial volly. Invisibility spells on our fighters for the element of surprise. That's the rough idea anyway." Sunset says, taking another bite of her sandwich.

“They might have wised up to your blizzard technique,” Suri pointed out. “There are measures to keep wyvern’s active in winter. The Crystal Empire is rather far north and they aren’t stupid. You got lucky with those first ones. They got too comfortable down here. The Invisibility might work for a time. Still, it’s better than nothing.”

"So you got any suggestions?" Mask asked. "Cause we might be able to whip something up."

“They have numbers and fire power,” Suri stated. “Three warlocks: Two lower class warlocks and a third I’d wager at being close to top tier given how he can keep a rip in reality stable for so long. Not to mention General Blizzard. I think you might be familiar with him, Miss Fortune. Your father is quite the capable fighter. He could prove a challenge on his own.”

"...General...Blizzard?" Fortune blinked, then raised her hoof like a foal in school. "Question?"

Suri sighed. “Yes?”

"How drunk are you? My Dad's name is Snow Day, and he's a weather supervisor." Fortune said, rolling her eyes. "I mean, really, my dad, fighting?"

“I’m sorry,” Suri shrugged. “I just assumed your father had the same name.”

“Is this like with you Fiddlesticks and how your double is Fiddle Faddle?” Lightning asked.

Fiddlesticks glared at her. “Never say that name again.”

"That makes sense. Huh, wonder if that means we do know your doubles, but they have different names...or tribes...or gender...or a combination...well this is probably going to bug me forever." Mask sighed. "Maybe somepony smarter than me can figure this whole thing out."

"Knowin' our Twi, she's probably got it down ta fancy flowcharts an' graphs an' stuff." AJ said, nodding.

“Different name or not, he’s dangerous.” Suri stated. “He’s a top tier ice elemental and a capable warrior. The Fortune of our world learned a thing or two from him, but she’s honestly nothing I can’t handle. The trick is taking Blizzard and the warlocks out.”

"The main issue is that last warlock. No idea what he can do. He didn't even really react after Lightning blew our cover." Mask said, eating her third fritter.

“I have a few tricks that can take care of him,” Suri stated. “But I’ll have to get close to be sure. I’m not going to trust my long range projectiles or spell counters. Warlocks are tricky to hit from range if they’re skilled enough.”

"And he probably is skilled." Sunset said, frowning. "I would wager he's the guy that sent those Preytons to Ponyville, meaning he is an accomplished biomancer, able to create monstrous life forms to serve him. Who knows what sort of monsters he could have."

“Well this is going to throw a wrench in the Field Marshal's plans,” Suri frowned. “I’m sure he’ll think of something, but he’s probably going to be in for a couple nasty surprises. We could be too, but creature constructs aren’t the most ‘serious’ of threats compared to those that are natural. Don’t get me wrong, they are deadly for sure. I’ve had a few close calls with them. It’s just that they are always a bit...what’s the word?”

“Robotic?” Quickfix piped up, to which Suri nodded.

"Yeah we'll, they can have some nasty abilities if the maker is strong enough." Sunset warned. "Preytons are made to hunt unicorns by being immune to magic and energy for example. And if he's skilled enough, he can definitely do worse. Devourer centipedes, insanity wolves, death crows, all kinds of nasty things."

“Then ah’ll just use my wrench and break ‘em,” Quickfix lifted her wrench in her magic. “Whatever comes, we’ll be ready. We’ve faced worse.”

“Sounds pretty nasty to me,” Fiddlesticks said, putting her hat back on. “Maybe we should get going so he don’t make some more of those nasty critters.”

Sunset chuckles. "Relax. Biomancy takes a lot of time. He couldn't crank anything out in the next ten minutes, or even the next hour, that's worth worrying about. And he can't have been working on much if he has to work on the portal. Besides, I know a lot about biomancy, I spent a lot of time studying it. I know how to fight a lot of these things. I have had a kit for it in my saddlebag since they Preytons showed up."

“Well praise the sun for yer brains, Sunset.” Fiddlesticks chuckled and patted her head. “Ah bet ya can think yerself out of any tight spot.”

"Well maybe not any, but quite a few." Sunset said, chest swelling with pride as her tail swished back and forth.

“Yer just bein’ modest,” Fiddlesticks laughed and pulled her into a one armed hug. “Ah know ya got some plan cooked up in that brain of yers that’s gonna knock their horseshoes off.”

"They have horses? I thought it was all pegasi." Mask said, frowning.

“It’s an expression,” Lightning said.

"Ah got it." Pansey said, though it was a bit muffled by the five sandwiches, all non-apple, she was eating at the same time.

“Whatever you plan out, it better be a quick one...or not. I mean, you’ve kind of outwitted most of your opposition so far rather easily.” Suri said.

Sunset nodded. "Alright, here's what I'm thinking-"

Author's Note:

Drawing of Shade was done by my good friend, Festus. Go check out his stuff now.

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter and I apologize for the wait. Please leave a comment below. :twilightsmile:

Comments ( 9 )

I love all the humor you've injected into the middle of an long action sequence. I totally ship Fortune and Firestorm the Bro-lock. I hope those two crazy, evil kids make it out of this mess alive.
I also agree that neutralizing threats with friendship is way cooler than busting in heads. If Quickfix doesn't like how everypony seems so reliant on the magic of friendship she should start analyzing the Science of Friendship.

Definitely my favorite part of this chapter is Sunset of the other universe following Cadance's law of inter-dimensional travel. I feel sorry that Quickfix has started crushing on Shade. Maybe we've been wrong about him all along. Sunset doesn't blow Shade up because she likes him, she likes him because she blows him up. You know who else is always exploding Shade? Quickfix. Maybe Shade has a secret talent for converting the guilt of ponies who hurt him into affection? It would certainly help explain how after they beat him the first time, they decided to let him be part of their group.

Oh, and Sunset fangirling on Suri was awesome too. I hope Whiteeyes has the other Suri meet his Sunset some time in the future.

6457570 Shade is an anime harem protagonist of sorts. They get hurt several times, almost lethally so and are fine shortly afterwards or at least in the next issue. Love hurts. :rainbowlaugh:

6458305 I thought Human Fluttershy straightened him out on that score? Well, I hope that thought keeps him comfortable in the emergency room.

6458467 Well, Shade has the 'luck' of the protagonist, but he apparently only get tsunderes so...he's bucked.

As for Firestorm and Fortune, we'll see. Matters on how things play out. My Fortune is a bit headstrong, so she might accidently get herself in over her head. Her coltfriend might have to spend most of his time bailing her out. :rainbowwild:

6458486 I wonder if Shade and Firestorm knew each other from young Warlock U, or wherever they got their training.

“Through skill, determination….and a rock.”

“...A rock?” Fortune deadpanned.

“It was a big rock,” the soldier answered.

Dangitall! I wanted to use that reference joke, and have Maud Pie say it to boot.

And somehow I feel like you took a bit of inspiration from both Jurassic World and The Rescuers for Suri's pets.

6458505 Firestorm is from my universe, so not likely.

11733138
Yeah, I don't buy that. The same chaper that I commented on.
"Meet the Doubles Shimmerverse".

"Well, you're going to want to go see Celestia first. She has special orders for ya." Rainbow said. It was amazing how much you could screw with somepony just by telling the truth, nothing but the truth, and a heck of a lot less than the whole truth.

Rainbow wanted to screw with him by telling truth? After she publicly, PUBLICLY accused him of bailing, despite bailing on HIM. F*ck off.

This exchange ends with him walkin off, with the thought that he was set up, and is being punished, despite KNOWING that he wasn't at FAULT. It pisses me to no end. I want to pluck ther wings break their noses. Classical American "prank", which leaves victims in deep state of shame, anger, or pain. "Just a prank, bro".

11733138
Oh, I see where you mixed up. You are talking EARLIER. Just compared stuff.
1) Get to know surroundings - Shimmer
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/242343/7/shimmering-sunsets/get-to-know-your-surroundings-shimmerverse
2) Meet Doubles - Shimmer
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/242343/11/shimmering-sunsets/meet-the-doubles-shimmerverse

So, it doesn't matter what she told Celestia. There are three versions here.
1) What Stonewall heard and did.
2) What Rainbow told Celestia.
3) And what Rainbow said PUBLICLY, infront of Blueblood, other Rainbow and Applejack, I think.

Stonewall hears that Rainbow ditched HIM. He tries to follow. Bacuase it is literally his ORDERS, and it would have catastrophic problems if he failed to be with Rainbow. He flies around cathes up, and hears how she PUBLICLY accuses HIM of ditching her.

Nevermind that this Rainbow basically F*CKS up with him over him not bying her basically a WEDDING RING. I know, a band. But the thing is the same.

No, This is spoiled behavior. Giving runarounds, and causing stress to someone, who is charged with your security. I would quit, then and there. I would not give a f*ck that I would be imprisoned. I would not take these accusations lying down. I can write a monolog somewhere, maybe PM it to you? I can do that.

Login or register to comment