• Published 14th Jan 2015
  • 5,809 Views, 306 Comments

Sunset's Redemption - TheNewYorkBrony



Without Twilight being able to come through the portal to help, it's up to Sunset to protect the school from an impending evil and save her friends.

  • ...
15
 306
 5,809

Chapter 8

"You are awful! Just awful!" Fluttershy huffed at Rainbow Dash as she walked back to her car. They had finished interviewing the other victims and had returned to the animal shelter parking lot.

"Eh?! What did I do?! Just because I didn't beat around the bush, you guys are acting like I'm the bad guy here?!" Rainbow protested. "Some friends you are!"

"Look who's talking, Rainbow Dash!" Rarity piped. "You accused Sunset of something we're all sure she would never do, especially now! Made her cry, and then just let her walk off into the cold! Poor dear must have been freezing by the time she made it home!"

"You are the bad guy here, RD. Whether you like it or not." Applejack agreed. "Don't need the rest o' us to make ya look like it,"

"You know what?! Who needs you guys?!" Rainbow shouted defiantly.

"You! You need us! Just like Sunset needs all of us including you!" Fluttershy shouted, pointing at her and surprisingly getting in Rainbow's face. Which was something the girl never did. "We are a family! We are a team! A band for Christ's sake! It's about time we freaking act like it!"

The other girls stared awestruck at their meek friend as she shook in anger.

"We have elements to uphold," Fluttershy said in a quieter voice much closer to her own. "And right now you're going against yours. The Element of Loyalty would never turn her back on her friends. Even when she thinks they have done something wrong, she'd give them the benefit of the doubt."

Rainbow didn't respond. She just turned on her heel and left.

"Honestly! Walking away from your problems isn't always the answer! When will those two learn?!" Rarity sighed, folding her arms.

"Uh, we might have bigger problems on our hands," Applejack said worriedly, hopping out of the van. "We're missin' Pinkie."


Snow fell outside of Sunset's apartment as she paced her living room floor. Okay, I know what just happened wasn't a dream. But did I really sound like that?! She pulled at her red and gold locks in frustration. She was a strong girl, but she wasn't that strong. She glanced at her ruined jacket. It looked like a bear had gotten to it. As much as she hated to admit, Rainbow might be right. Maybe she was a life force sucking demon.

There was a knock on the door, and it startled her. She went to open it and found Pinkie shivering and wet in a thin hoodie.

"Pinkie?! What on earth are you doing here?!" She barked, ushering the younger girl inside. She ran over to the thermostat and turned it up before turning back to her pink haired friend.

"Y-You left your bookbag in the tr-truck," Pinkie stuttered, holding up the black messenger bag. "I thought I'd bring it back to you so I walked."

"You walked all the way from the animal shelter?!" Sunset shouted. "Pinkie what in Equestria were you thinking?! You know how abnormal the weather is outside! You could have gotten hurt!"

"You could have too!" Pinkie shouted at her. "You could have collapsed or gotten hurt! But you didn't care! You just walked off!" Pinkie pushed her angrily. "We could've taken care of Rainbow! You didn't have to leave!" She sobbed.

Sunset looked at the younger girl crestfallen. "I...I didn't think you all cared..." She mumbled, rubbing her arm.

"Of course we do! We're your friends!" Pinkie frowned. "Rainbow may be a jerk right now, but her behavior doesn't reflect how the rest of us feel about you!" She looked down at the ground. "Especially...especially me.."

Sunset's eyebrows furrowed. "What do you mean by that?"

"I...I..Achoo!" Pinkie sniffled.

"Nevermind. We have to get you dry before you catch a cold." She shoved Pinkie into the bathroom. "Take a shower. When you're done, just shout for me."

Pinkie nodded and shut the door.

Sighing, Sunset slumped on the couch. This is ridiculous. I need to find out what's wrong with me and fast. There's no way in hell I could have ripped my jacket like that without some kind of help. She would have left it to her adrenaline, but even adrenaline couldn't have done that.

Tiredly, she took out the book and wrote a quick note to Twilight.

Dear Princess Twilight,

Well, we know for sure it’s not just Windigos. It’s some demon thing. With black eyes and fiery red hair. That everyone thinks is me. It can’t be me. I’ve...I’ve changed. But since the last time I wrote to you, we found out that whatever is causing everyone to become sick is literally sucking the life force out of them. We still don’t know who exactly this demon is, but all signs point to me. Please tell me you have something that would discredit that. I can’t...I can’t have everyone thinking I’m evil again...

Yours in friendship, Sunset Shimmer.

She closed her eyes. Maybe what she needed was sleep. To get her mind off of things. As she drifted off, she could have sworn she heard the front door opening...


Twilight flipped through another stack of books on Equestria’s creatures. Nothing but Windigos seemed to be their best bet, but something told her that she should ask Princess Celestia and Princess Luna for any further information. Perhaps a peek into the Canterlot Archives wouldn’t hurt either. She sighed. She was getting involved again. But she couldn’t help it. Her friends were in danger. She couldn’t just sit around doing nothing. Twilight wasn’t a sit around and do nothing kind of mare. She wanted to trust Discord. She really did. Especially since he seemed to know what he was talking about.

But she hadn’t written to Sunset in a day, and it was killing her. Sunset hadn’t written to her either, and that made Twilight all the more worried. Were they in trouble? Did something happen? She wouldn’t know because nothing was happening! With a loud groan, Twilight jumped up from her throne and trotted out of the castle, much to the confusion of her friends.

Right into Princess Celestia and Princess Luna.

“Princess Celestia! Princess Luna! What are you doing here?!” Twilight asked, eyes wide.

“Discord filled me in on what was going on,” The majestic white monarch responded. “He told me you were getting restless and that you weren’t having much luck in finding what could be affecting your mirror friends.”

Twilight nodded. “We suspected Windigos, but that doesn’t seem to be all that’s going on here.” She let out a tired sigh as they walked back into the throne room. “Honestly, I don’t know what to do. I’ve looked through every book on weather causing monsters and monsters that cause illness.”

Luna nodded at Celestia before turning back to Twilight. “Perhaps we can be of assistance? After all, we were around long before all of these books,”

Suddenly, Twilight heard a buzzing coming from her throne. Knowing exactly what it was, she rushed over to it, and plucked out the vibrating tome with her magic. Opening it, she quickly read the message before dropping it, a terrified look on her face. “Oh no,” She whispered.

Rarity put a hoof on her shoulder. “What? What is it darling?” She asked, concerned.

Twilight looked at Celestia and Luna. “It’s more worse than we thought,”


Life force? No, she was too hungry for that. She needed the real stuff. She needed blood.

Sunset awoke with a start. Her breathing heavy. Looking around herself, she saw that she was still in her apartment. She felt like she had left, but in fact she hadn't at all.

That is, until she reached up to feel her face and found blood smeared across it. She tried not to scream, but the shock was too much. Quickly, she ran over to the kitchen sink and cleaned her face, trying to hold in the bile that was threatening to come up.

"I'm a monster. Rainbow was right, it is me." She sobbed as she watched the red liquid swirl down the drain. She pulled away from the sink and slid down the refrigerator.

"I'm a monster. I'm a monster. I'm a monster. I'm-"

"Sunny! Please! Sunset! Wake up!"

Sunset's gasped for air as she awoke, this time she knew it was for real because Pinkie was straddling her, shaking her by her shoulders.

"Oh thank god," Pinkie whispered, hugging her. "You were talking in your sleep."

"My...sleep? I was sleeping?" Sunset touched her face to find it free of blood, but not tears. She had been crying, and she guessed by the redness surrounding Pinkie's cerulean eyes, she had been too.

"You were calling yourself a monster," Pinkie explained. "And you were crying. I found you like this after I had called you and you didn't respond."

Sunset looked down to see that Pinkie was laying on her in nothing but a towel. A towel that was slipping off by the minute. She could feel the younger girl's warm body through her thin t-shirt. Pinkie's wet hair curtained Sunset's face as they leaned closely to each other.

Sunset could feel Pinkie's heart beating rapidly, and a sort of excitement ran through her veins. Man, who knew Pinkie was so hot?

They locked eyes for a moment before they were both guilty of looking at each other's lips.

Sunset pulled Pinkie closer by the small of her back, heart racing rapidly as she did so.

Just as their lips were about to touch, the doorbell rang, making them jump apart.

Sunset coughed. "Um, I'll get it. You should probably go get dressed."

Pinkie nodded. "Uh, yeah." She stopped. "Sunset?"

"Yeah?"

"For the record, you're not a monster. A monster doesn't have a conscience or friends. Just saying." Pinkie told her before walking into the back.

Sunset opened the door and gasped. "Twilight?!"


"What do you mean, 'much worse than we thought'?" Applejack asked.

Twilight trotted over the stack of books and looked for the right one using her magic. When she found it, she flipped through the pages until she found the page she was looking for. "When Sunset first brought my crown over to that world, she cornered me in the hallway and said that I didn't know what happened to an Element of Harmony when it's brought to another world. I still don't. But I can infer what happens is what happened to Sunset,"

"You mean when she turned into that, that thing?" Fluttershy trembled, covering her eyes with her wings.

"Precisely. The description of what's attacking students now matches what she turned into, but I believe it's not Sunset. At least, not consciously." Twilight explained further.

"But I thought you and the other us took care of her evil baddie mojo!" Pinkie piped.

"We did. But something is trying to weave its tendrils into her heart again." Twilight told her. She pointed a hoof at the page she turned to. "I believe that is what we're dealing with."

The other girls leaned in and gasped.

"You're right! This is bad!" Pinkie shouted, putting her hooves in her mane.

Author's Note:

If you think the letter to Twilight was shoehorned in, then congratulations! You are absolutely right! I had forgotten to write one the last couple of chapters and realized the plot couldn't really continue without one. So. The reveal of the threat is upon us, men! I wonder which one of you guys were right, hmm? Also i totally trolled with the Pinkieset. You're welcome! :trollestia: