• Published 14th Jan 2015
  • 5,808 Views, 306 Comments

Sunset's Redemption - TheNewYorkBrony



Without Twilight being able to come through the portal to help, it's up to Sunset to protect the school from an impending evil and save her friends.

  • ...
15
 306
 5,808

Chapter 12

A tingle ran up Princess Twilight's spine and she shivered. She didn't know why, but she had a really bad feeling. The other girls in the room with her couldn't feel it of course, but being a highly skilled unicorn and a powerful alicorn, she could feel a slight buzz in the air. As if someone was drawing power from the world around them.

As of someone was performing a spell.

Then, it hit her.

She jumped up urgently, making the other girls look at her. "She's here. She's here, right now, performing that spell."

"Wha- Already?!" Science Twilight demanded, scrambling to her feet herself. "But we haven't even found out a way to stop her! How are we going to intercept an ancient ritual we know nothing about without getting killed?!"

There was a soft knock on the library door, and Pinkie cautiously went over to it. Opening it, she watched as three badly worn bodies fell in through the doorway.

"Oh my gum drops!" She exclaimed, bending down to help Adagio up. "It's the Sirens!"

"What do we do?" Fluttershy asked. "We can't just leave them here! They're dying!"

Princess Twilight took charge. "Twilight, Fluttershy, and Rarity. You stay here and tend to their wounds. Rainbow, Applejack, and Pinkie, follow me." She said walking towards the door.

"We have a succubus to destroy."


Outside of the school, Maeva smirked as she felt the dark power surging around her. Soon she would have a new body, a young one that she could use to hunt. And soon this world would be hers. Equestria too. She laughed.

Yes, it was only a matter of time.

She heard the school doors open and whipped her head around to see that Sunset's meddling friends had come to save the day.

She stood up in the enchantment circle. "You're too late!" She bellowed. "Soon that low life unicorn's body will be mine and there's nothing you can do about it!"

"We're gonna kick your sorry ass, Maeva!" Rainbow declared, taking a fighting stance.

"How vulgar. I'd like to see you try. How on earth are you going to destroy me and save your precious friend? We're one in the same now!"

"Shit, she's right!" Rainbow shouted. "If we hurt her, we hurt Sunset too!"

A dark laugh left the succubus's mouth. "It seems that you're in a bit of a pickle. Not like friendship can save you now."

"Oh yes it will!" Pinkie challenged with a hard look on her face. "Just watch you meanie! Sunset's gonna come out and kick your butt!"

Maeva snorted. "Yes. We'll see." She noticed that the other Elements weren't with them. She grinned. "In the mean time..."

Black tendrils of dark magic snaked from her hands and wrapped themselves around the three young girls in front of her.

Both Twilight and Rainbow Dash had jumped out of the way in time, but unfortunately for Pinkie, she had moved too late.

She shrieked as the magic wrapped around her. "Let me go!" she demanded, but her plea fell on deaf ears.

"What's your plan anyway? To take over Equestria?!" Rainbow barked.

"Been there, done that!" Maeva cackled. "But I wouldn't mind having a few human slaves."

"You won't win!" Twilight told her.

"Oh? Amd who exactly is going to stop me?"

"Sunset! That's who!" Pinkie yelled.

Maeva's laughed louder. "How is she supposed to stop me?! She's trapped deep within her own body and she can't even control it! She doesn't stand a chance! A few moments from now she'll be nothing more than a memory!"


"Urgh!" Sunset groaned as yet another cut was made into her body by Demonset. No matter how much she whipped her, no matter how much Demonset abused her in the past twenty minutes, (or so she thought, she couldn't really tell with all the pain,) she wasn't going to give in.

Not yet.

"It's so cute how you think ny simple will power I'll just go away," Demonset said with a chuckle. "You see Sunset, you may not like it, but I am you. You are me. You are a monster. You are nothing but a power hungry little bitch who can't seem to remember why she fled to this world. You weren't here to make friends. Friends was the last thing on your mind. Now all of a sudden everything is sunshine and rainbows for you?! Ha!"

Sunset grit her teeth.

"You're pathetic. If it were up to me, I'd kill you and take over your body myself." Demonset smacked her hard. "Are you even sure that those girls really are your friends?"

"Yes, I'm sure." Despite the beating she had taken, Sunset's voice was firm, unwavering.

Demonset snorted. "Of course you do. You're living a fantasy. You're nothing more than a failure. You're a sniveling little bitch. They aren't your friends. No one wants you. Not even Celestia herself! Stop living under the illusion that people actually care about you! You're nothing more than a failure!"

"You don't know anything about me!" Sunset shrieked.

"Do I?!" Demonset barked back. "Or have you forgotten that we are the same person?! Face it, Sunset Shimmer! You are a worthless little shit!"

"You're wrong!" Sunset shouted. Her hair stuck to her face from the blood and sweat that covered it. "You're wrong," She repeated, looking at her captor. Something strong began to rise in her heart. A warm feeling encompassed her, a strong knowing one. it was if she was getting a hug from all of her friends all at once as their power radiated on to her. Things that were once fuzzy to her made sense now. She could feel it.

She knew what her element was.

"I am the Element of Redemption."

With the utterance of those words, the chains that held Sunset broke. She fell to the floor with a soft thud. Wobbly, she stood up as red and gold magic swirled around her, healing her injuries.

"Impossible!" Demonset growled. "You're not an element bearer!"

Sunset looked her demonic self straight in the eye. "Yes I am. I am a phoenix reborn from my ashes. I am Sunset Shimmer, Element of Redemption and I will not let you bring me down." A soft tune started within her, something that seemed familiar.

"My past is not today," Sunset said, the song on her heart reaching a crecendo. "You're right about one thing. You are apart of me. But you aren't me. Because I am a brand new person. And I won't let you or Maeva have my body!"

"Do you really think some silly little speech is going to make me cower in fear?!" Demonset bellowed. "Taking lessons from Twilight Sparkle I see," she laughed dryly. She flew across the room had punched Sunset in the gut, making her spit blood. "Enough with the friendship bullshit. It's even more ridiculous when you say it."

"That's what I would have said a few months ago," Sunset weezed. "Sure, this may all seem like crap, but at least I have friends now. People want to be around me because I've shown them another side to me that no one can deny." She glared at Demonset. "And I'm not about to let you take that from me!"

The red and gold magic swirled around her again, producing phoenix like wings behind her back and an amulet around her neck that had a jade jewel in the shape of her cutie mark.

Sunset raised her hand towards herself. "You have shown me what I could have become if I had let my drive corrupt me. You are nothing more than a memory now. You no longer exist."

"What?!" Demonset said. "You can't just-"

"Oh, but I can," Sunset said, closing her eyes with a smirk. "Be gone! You no longer have a purpose!"

With a flash, the evil version of herself was gone. And with it, left all doubt in her mind. She flexed her fingers and took a deep breath.

"I am no monster."

"I am a hero of my own story."

Author's Note:

Why did this take so long? I have no idea. But this isn't the end. (Obviously) there still has to be a final showdown and all of that good stuff so the real final chapter should be out in 2035. (Kidding) I'm trying to get back in the groove of writing so expect some stuff in the up coming weeks.

Comments ( 34 )

Honestly this felt kind of rushed and the interactions between Demonset and Sunset didn't feel natural (i.e. like an actual conversation/ torture/ whatever at all) :applejackunsure: In fact that last part of the chapter made me (probably just me though) cringe :twilightoops:

I hope you get back into the swing of writing though, I do enjoy the ideas in your stories. :ajsmug:

"Oh my gum drops!" She exclaimed, bending down to help Adagio up. "It's the Sirens!"

What?! DEAD BODIES!

"What do we do?" Fluttershy asked. "We can't just leave them here! They're dying!"

Oh.. Never mind.

Good chapter! Sunny the element of redemption!

6340687 their interaction was a lot less like how it is now but i accidentally deleted most of their conversation by accident so what you see is what i remember of what i originally wrote.

6340738 That's fair, I can understand how frustrating that can be. :ajsleepy:
I still rather enjoyed the chapter (although I hope we can get an edited conversation between Demonset and Sunset at some point in the abstract future) and I'm eagerly looking forward to the next chapter. :ajsmug:

Well see you in 2035 I'm going on Tvtropes or something :derpytongue2:

Keep going! Well done!

I'd see about editing that last bit at some point - everyone (even the baddies) thinks of themselves as the hero of their own story. Otherwise, not bad, though a bit short.

Great to see this story is still going! And awesome incorporation of My Past is not Today.
I do feel this chapter was a bit rushed, but I can understand, what with accidentally losing what you wrote before and all. It was still pretty cool though.
Also:

She flew across the room had punched Sunset in the gut

I'm assuming you meant "and" instead of "had." ^_^

and if i'm right abut what happens next then i think that this song is apropriate.

Yup Sunset is either the Element of Redemption or Forgiveness.

I need more. Like now.:heart:

AURON! WE BELIEVE...oh wait...SUNSET! WE BELIEVE IN YOU! :trollestia:

ITS HERE BITCHES! *cough* I mean yay, new chapter...

6340897 Go in there and it'll be 2065 before you're done. :pinkiecrazy:

6340738 Never equated Sunny with an Element, but looking at it now it seems so obvious. Good show, even with a slightly lost-to-the-ages conversation.

Glad for an update. Seemed a bit rushed but it was worth the wait!

I honestly totally expected Pinkie to kiss her and snap her free. This works though...Kinda short but seeing as I haven't updated my own shit in ages I have no room to complain

I'm not sure how or why I'm only just now liking and faveing this. I should have when I first read it. Oh well, better late then never!

Nicely done:
1. Element of Redemption
2. Demonset representing Sunset's regrets and her hatred for what she did and how she feels or what she feels she deserves for it
3. This story in general!

Keep it up. For a while I thought you had abandoned this work of art. Good to see it's going to be finished. :moustache::twilightsmile::pinkiehappy:

Both Twilight and Rainbow Dash had jumped out of the way in time, but unfortunately for Pinkie, she had moved too late.

No way! Are you seriously trying to tell me that Pinkie Pie has a slower reaction time than Twilight and Rainbow Dash? Impossible!

Now to some more serious criticism. I feel like you did a little too much reference stuff in the combat scene. "My Past is not Today" is awesome, but if pretty much every line in Sunset's this-is-why-you-suck-speech is based on it it feels a bit cheap. At least to me. Obviously the other commenters had no problem with it, so it might be just me.

What is this, some kind of reverse Descartes? I think you don't exist?

6340738
Can it not be 2035 when it comes out? I don't think FIMfiction would be up 15 years after I graduate highschool...
but eh

It's such a good story and I sure as hell can't wait for the next chapter(s)[ending/conclusion]

"Yes I am. I am a phoenix reborn from my ashes. I am Sunset Shimmer, Element of Redemption and I will not let you bring me down."

You should change that part to say:
"Yes I am. I am the hope of the universe. The answer to all things that cry out for peace. I am protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. Ally to good, nightmare to you."

I saw that as a caption underneath a daydream shimmer picture.

6615349
It should be: "I am the hope of the omniverse. I am the lightbulb in the darkness. I am the bacon in the fridge for all living things that cry out in hunger. I am the Alpha, and the Omega. I am the terror that flaps in the night."

is this story dead its not updated in a while

All I wanted for Christmas was another chapter of this story.

This is late but... you mentioned Pinkie, Rainbow and Applejack following Princess Twilight. ..
So... where the hay is AJ when they met Maeva??

Why is it that Authors around here Stop updating during the Climax?

Sorry to be the one to ask the question, but are you ever going to come back to this or is it pretty much dead?

8906198
I think i might finish it. I dont know.

This is epic.

I hope there is more.

I hope this continues. This is freaking awesome.

Noooo COME BACK PLEASE MORE CONTINUE THIS 😭🙏🥺

Really like this story hope it continues. :pinkiehappy:

Login or register to comment