• Published 14th Jan 2015
  • 5,811 Views, 306 Comments

Sunset's Redemption - TheNewYorkBrony



Without Twilight being able to come through the portal to help, it's up to Sunset to protect the school from an impending evil and save her friends.

  • ...
15
 306
 5,811

Chapter 11

Equestria, two thousand years ago, B.B (Before Banishment)

"You knew I loved you! You knew and yet you strung me along!" Maeva shouted, stomping down a red hoof. Before her was the stallion she loved. Or, thought she did, at least before this very moment.

"Please! You and I both know that this was nothing more than a small fling!" King Samos said, stomping his hoof. "Why would I want some love struck child as my wife? You're not fit to be a queen!"

"Is that so?!" Maeva snarled. "Why don't you look a bit closer at your so called fling?"

King Samos squinted and realized that Maeva was transparent, and that she wasn't touching the ground. His eyes widened. "W-What are you?!" He demanded, backing up against his throne.

"I am the mare who loved you! The mare who loved you, defended you, and cared for you!" Maeva shouted. She grinned, jagged teeth showing themselves as she saw the raw fear in his eyes. "And now the mare who will kill you! Haha!"


"Who are you?! What do you want?! Why am I here?!" Sunset demanded.

"All good questions that will be answered in good time," Demonset said, folding her hands. "But if you must absolutely know, I am the embodiment of every single evil, negative and rude thought you've ever had. I am the personification of your old ambitions." She laughed. "To put it simply, I am you. I am what you became."

"No, you're not me!" Sunset barked, a lump in her throat. "I've changed!"

"Oh? Have you?" Demonset sat herself on the tattered teacher's desk. "Do tell me what you've done as this, 'new and improved' Sunset Shimmer."

"I've....I've made friends!"

Demonset laughed. "Have you? Because last time I checked the entire school hated you and your so called 'friends' were doing this as a favor to Princess Twilight." She walked over to Sunset and put a hand under her chin. "Face it, Shimmer. You've never changed. You just decided to push aside all those good feelings of domination and power just so you could live in this fantasy world of friendship." She laughed.

"You're wrong!" Sunset protested, albeit weakly.

"Am I? Don't you remember how good it felt to finally have that crown on your head? The one that should have been yours in the beginning? The one that was given to some secondrate brat instead? Don't you remember the power surging through you?! The fear in their eyes as they saw you for the monster you truly are?!"

"I am not a monster!" Sunset screamed, tears stinging in her eyes.

Demonset chuckled. "Crying already?" She teased, a edge of venom to her voice. She frowned, throwing Sunset back down in the student's desk. "What happened to 'you're never gonna bring me down' and all that other crap you were spewing to those Sirens, huh? What happened to that? Pathetic. You're not reformed in the slightest and you know it. You thirst for power just as much as she does."

Sunset breathed heavily. "S-She? Who's she?!"

Demonset grinned. "Maeva of course. And after tonight, she'll have all the power she could ever want. With the help of your body of course."

"What are you talking about?!" Sunset barked at her.

"Soon Maeva will have full control of your body. And then you'll be able to stay here all alone and watch as she uses you to fulfill your past desires and destroy your friends." Demon set said, getting in Sunset's face.

The scenery changed again, and this time they were in a dark room with no windows.

Sunset realized that she was hanging; painfully so, and that Demonset was in front of her with a whip. Cold, hard fear she hadn't felt in a long time washed over her body as she saw the whip being raised and then sting her body with its unforgiving slap.


"How exactly do we know what we're looking for in here?" Science Twilight asked her counterpart as they both looked through Starswirl's journal.

"To be honest, I don't exactly know." Princess Twilight answered sheepishly. "Maybe just some indication of how he and Clover the Clever defeated Maeva."

"Is anything known about the ritual Maeva will perform tonight?" Rarity asked.

"Not really," Princess Twilight answered her. "At least I don't think so. She isn't pre-Royal Sisters, so there should be something on her, but anything about her has probably faded into myth with her being gone for so long."

"What does she need Sunset's body for?" Fluttershy asked.

"A physical body to call her own. Coincidentally, Sunset's body is quite similar to her own. Plus she's a powerful unicorn, so Maeva can use that to her advantage." Princess Twilight explained.

"What if she decides to go through the portal? You know, to get revenge?" Dash said, drumming on her ribs.

"She doesn't know the portal exists. She doesn't even know that there are two more princesses. She's been here for over a thousand years. So she's a little in the dark." Princess Twilight smirked. Her eyebrows furrowed when she saw a sticky note posted to the middle of one of the pages in the book.

Did you really think the answer would be in here? Ha! Try again, purplebutt! -Discord

She removed the note and read it. She frowned. "Why that conniving little-"

"Uh, Twilight, you alright there sugarcube? Yer kinda mumbling to yerself," Applejack told her, putting a hand on her shoulder.

Twilight smiled faintly at her. "Never better!" As soon as the other girl turned her back, the frown returned and she crumpled up the note. So much for that. She knew that Discord had told her to not get involved, but this was a serious matter and just remembering how worried Fluttershy had sounded in her letter, it made her even more concerned.

Sure the only person who could possibly take down Maeva from the inside out was Sunset, but who knows what could be happening to her right now, in her own subconscious? And what about that other enemy Luna told her about? Was that just a figurative thing or was there really another Equestrian villain on the lose?

Shaking her head to clear her thoughts, Princess Twilight buried her nose in the journal. Now was not the time for freak outs. She had to focus.


Maeva parked Sunset's bike in front of the school. It was almost time. She looked at her watch. It was twelve am. Which meant if she wanted to get this done, she was going to have to hurry up and get it done soon.

She slung a duffle bag full of candles onto her shoulder and walked up to the exact spot where Sunset had put on Twilight's crown, thus awakening her powers. She set down all of the candles in a circle and lit them with a match.

Then she sat in the circle Indian style, eyes closed. This was it. After tonight she'd be the ruler of this world and nothing would be standing in her way. Taking deep, slow, breaths, she started reciting a spell in a tongue long forgotten.

The ritual had begun.

Author's Note:

Ooooh things are getting serious now! This story probably has two or three more chapters and then it'll be finished. If it's going too fast i sincerely apologize, because I've never written an action adventure story before. So, what do you think will happen next? :pinkiegasp: