• Published 3rd May 2012
  • 15,411 Views, 344 Comments

Mass Effect: Continuum - Oceansama



Shepard and Anderson are tossed into Equestria shortly following the activation of the Crucible super-weapon. Once there, they meet a tribe of buffalo who seem to know exactly who Shepard is.

  • ...
37
 344
 15,411

1. The Ending is the Beginning (March 2021)

Author's Note:

This story takes place post-Mass Effect 3 and there will be some spoilers for the game’s ending.

Many thanks to http://www.fimfiction.net/user/GermanDash for proofreading this chapter.

BTW, I am fully aware of the indoctrination theory of the Mass Effect ending.  While I find the theory to be very well thought out and researched, I can’t agree with it.  It's just my opinion on the matter, and yes I am trying to be deliberately vague as to the ending.  It’ll make the story much more interesting.  Trust me.

Chapter One: The Ending is the Beginning

Mass Effect: Continuum

Chapter One: The Ending is the Beginning

(…………………………………………………………………………………………)

The crisp air of the clear summer night was filled with the gentle sound of a lazy breeze working its way through the sparse desert vegetation. A dry sound of rustling flora intermixed with the chirping songs of crickets and the quiet disturbance of small night creatures; the perfect ambiance calm and enjoyable summer night. The sun having set less than an hour ago was quickly plunging the temperature to chilling levels. While the luminous glow of the lunar body, and the countless shining stars overhead, ignited the sky with their beauty. Most were already settled into their homes for dinner, yet the night sky hadn’t gone unnoticed by a single pony stallion.

“Boy howdy, that sure is a pretty sight.” He quietly mused to himself while admiring the endless expanse. He was cantering through the cool desert with a purposeful stride. His appreciation of the heavens was temporarily interrupted as he sidestepped to avoid sticking himself on the spikes of an organ pipe cactus. Giving the cacti a respectable distance he playfully chided himself for a time when he had accidentally bumped into one as a small colt. Leaning in he did risk a deep whiff of the flowers that had recently blossomed on the prickly plant and a contented smile at the sweet scent.

On the horizon the stallion spotted the telltale light of a cluster of campfires. The smoke left lazy spiral columns which could be seen for miles in the clear night air. He knew that the fires belonged to the local buffalo tribe that migrated daily throughout the desert lands. During the stampeding season it was common for the tribe of nomads to settle in different places each night. It made contact between them and the nearby pony town of Appleloosa exceptionally difficult at even the best of times. Normally he wouldn’t be bothered to attempt a dialogue with the tribe unless they came closer to the town, for the occasional trade, but tonight was a special night.

As the stallion approached the campsite several of the buffalo waved their hooves at him along with warm smiles, or a respectful nod. The stallion reciprocated, but he was here to see a certain bufflo tonight. He needed to speak to the leader, the wise shaman Chief Thunder Hooves.

“Braeburn!” A young female voiced erupted with an excited squeal. The stallion turned to the voice and saw a skinny buffalo cow with a coat the color of orange amber, galloping towards him. Her shining black eyes were filled with cheerful joy at seeing him. Her mane was of a pale yellow which waved freely along with the white and black feathers of her headdress.

“Howdy and good evenin', Little Strong Heart,” the stallion greeted back, a wide goofy grin ballooned across his face. “A mighty fine evening to ya.”

“Yes,” Little Strong Heart came to a resting stop. “It is a very beautiful indeed. The moon is full and the stars are strangely brighter than before. Among my tribe it is a good omen, speaking of prosperity and good tidings.” She looked up high, still a frown suddenly sprung up, “Though I’ve never seen them quite this alive with such intensity before. Princess Luna has certainly outdone herself.” The smile returned as she regarded her pony visitor, taking a moment to scrutinize his well-groomed light golden coat and dark orange mane. She also saw he was wearing his favorite brown Stetson hat. She never told him, but she found him more handsome when he went without that accessory.

“Is something wrong?” Braeburn inquired, his pistachio-colored eyes softening with worry at her staring. From what limited time they’d gotten to spend with each other, he’d become accustomed to her acting rather shy around him. This time, however, it seemed there was less shyness and more curiosity on her mind. Maybe it was just his own nervousness concerning the talk with the chief, but he noticed that she was continuously looking up to study the stars as if she was expecting something more to happen than sparkly lights.

“Oh, it’s nothing at all.” Strong Heart deflected with a wave of her hoof. “I’m just wondering what brings you out here tonight.” Braeburn crooked an eyebrow at what had felt was an obvious dodge on her part.

“Well, ah came out here ta speak with your father, tha chief. Y’see, mah family is soon goin’ to gather together for another Apple reunion and they decided ta meet up round in Appleloosa this year.”

“The last time was in Ponyville, two years ago, right?” Strong Heart inquired.

“Eeyup,” Braeburn gave an enthusiastic nod, “that was quite the shindig, what with Nightmare Moon appearin’ an’ all.” He stood a tentative step toward the buffalo girl, “So, Little Strongheart, ah was wondering if you and tha rest of your tribe would like to join me in tha festivities and meet tha rest of mah kin. Since, ya’know... ah think you’d all get along like apple pie and ice cream.”

He absently played with a rock, worried that such a simple request might have overstepped some tribal law. After all, he was a simple farmer and Little Strongheart was a buffalo chieftess in training. He cursed himself for not spending more time trying to learn her tribal laws. It was important to try and build a future between their two societies.

“I mean... if it’s alright with you that is. My cousin Applejack will be there, and you remember Rainbow Dash, right?”

“Of course I remember them,” Heart put a hoof to his muzzle and directed him to acknowledge her directly in the eyes, “I think it’s a wonderful idea. I’m sure father would love to see them again and even if not, I’ll go for sure.” She then hesitantly closed the distance between her and the stallion, putting a hoof on his shoulder encouragingly.

“I’m just glad that you remembered me... us,” Heart playfully gave the stallion a playful push, “despite the terrible history between our people.” She had remembered it well, even suffering nightmares about it from time to time.

“Well, I hope ya father does come. I’m a little sad that some of mah cousin’s other friends couldn’t make it. But, really, Ah want tha chief to try and talk with tha Sheriff about this humdinger of a problem brewin’.”

“Oh,what kind of problem?”

Little Strong Heart’s question, had just left her lips when the very next instance an ear shattering boom shook the ground and nearly sent both of them tumbling. The sudden and intense change in air pressure popped their ears and scrambled their brains. Braeburn would have heard Strongheart screaming if the mighty cacophony had not left both of them temporarily deaf. Then the cataclysmic event was joined by a mighty wall of light appearing over the horizon in the east.

The illumination blanketed the land with an ethereal energy that caused the hair on their bodies to stand up as it approached faster than a sonic rainboom. Closer and faster it came growing exponentially in size until it was impossible to glean anything past its veil which flowed and snapped like lightning arcing through water.

They slammed their eyes shut against the frightening sight and embraced each other in a desperate hug, wondering if this unexplained phenomenon was to be their end. The air was supercharged and became nearly unbearably hot. Then, they had felt it its force slam into. Existence had become disorienting as they were sent tumbling across the ground.

Then, just as quickly, it was gone. Vanishing past the opposing horizon with nary a hint of its existence, save for the stench of ozone. The sounds of wildlife had ceased and all that was left was a complete and absolute silence.

(…………………………………………………………………………………………)

Some miles away a steam-powered locomotive chugged contentedly along its rails and was a mere few hours from its destination of Appleloosa. The voluminous sound of the engine whistle gave a whistle of alarm to the nightly creatures; a warning to distance themselves from the train’s tracks. The train was traveling a speedy pace despite the array of a dozen cargo haulers behind it, mostly boxcars with a few tankers too. There was also one passenger car attached at the end of the train almost as an afterthought.

Onboard this passenger car, a sleeper car, there were about five different ponies. One of them was Applejack perched at the end of her bunk. The light orange coated apple farmer, and rodeo aficionado, hummed a homely tune while she brushed her long blonde mane. Normally she wasn’t all that concerned with her appearance; however she did want to be presentable for her family at the reunion tomorrow. There were going to be a lot of family branches represented there and she didn’t want to come across the odd one out.

Looking down the sleeper car, she spied the other four traveling ponies inside. A bunk over was her little sister Appleboom, already soundly sleeping soundly. In the bed across from Applejack there was one of her best friends. The loud and brash Pegasus called Rainbow Dash who, although not by blood, was considered as close as family. This despite their many, many, stiff competitive rivalries when it came to matters athletic. There was also cousin Apple Fritter comfortably settled upon her bed. The somewhat aloof yellow mare was busily chewing on one of her emerald green pigtails while she slowly wrote in a journal of sorts. Finally, rounding out the members of their traveling group was AJ’s big brother, Big Macintosh, who was confined to the far end of the car, and behind a curtain, due to reasons of gentlecolt etiquette.

“So AJ,” Dash asked, turning another page in the latest Daring Doo adventure novel, “could you tell me why you didn’t invite all of our friends to this little get together of yours?” To which the apple farmer rolled her eyes while tying her mane into a ponytail.

“I done already told ya, RD, everypony already had their own business to attend ta. Not much ah could do about that. Though both Applebloom and ah felt bad that Granny Smith couldn’t make it.”

“Why not?” Dash looked up from her book.

“Granny did want ta come, but she ain’t fit enough ta make the journey,” AJ smoothed out her mane before placing her stetson upon her head. “At least not until the doctor has given her tha all clear.”

“Is it her bad hip again?” Rainbow asked, lowering her book.

AJ chewed her lower lip,“She has been gettin’ on in years and mah family is mighty concerned.” She then smiled, “I wouldn’t worry about her, she as stubborn as Apples go and she’s confessin’ not to be goin’ anywhere until she sees some grandfoals.”

“Guess some pony had to watch the farm, huh.” Rainbow concluded, raised her book then lowered it again. “Hey, speaking of ponies who should’ve come, why isn’t Pinkie Pie with us? Of all the ponies we know, she always manages to find time for parties and celebrations, busy or not.”

“Sugarcube, I aimed ta trying to talk her outta comin’ along. I love that gal, but ah don’t want a repeat of what she did last time she visited Appleloosa.” AJ concluded with and unsure frown.

“I guess,” Dash reluctantly agreed, “so, how DID you manage to convince her? I’ve never heard of Pinkie willingly turning down a party.”

“Turned out to be right easy, ah didn’t have ta say a thing.” AJ shrugged, “She said somethin’ about a new pony comin’ to town soon. So she had’ta stay behind to give tha greenhorn a proper Pinkie welcome.”

“Heh,” Dash chuckled, “that sounds like her, I wonder what...” Dash’s curiosity halted the moment she spotted a bright light out of the corner of her eye; a strange illumination originating from outside her window. She turned to look at the strange sight just in time to be blinded by a flash as intense as the sun. AJ saw Dash’s shocked expression and turned to see the pulse just as it was upon them, but had managed to shield her eyes with a foreleg.

“Everypony get down!” AJ shouted before pulling Dash down from the bunk and using her body as a shield for her Pegasus friend. Covering her friend’s head with her forelegs and pulling her Stetson down. There was just enough time to register a sudden spike in the temperature as the cabin became very hot.

Then the wall of energy hit, saturated, and then had quickly passed through the train. The force sent the cabin to list dangerously to one side and for a moment there was a fear it might derail the train completely. It lasted only for a second or two before the cabin came crashing back down onto the rails with a shrill screech of metal. Luggage was let loose by the tremor and went tumbling down from the overhead compartments. AJ released an uncharacteristic squeal of pain as a trunk cracked against her skull and caused her world to swim about sporadically, followed by a bout of dizziness coupled with nausea.

“What in the buck was that?!” the, now panicked Pegasus gasped, brain frozen in confusion as she tried to unpin herself from the floorboards. Her blurry vision snapped to her friend for answers. She couldn’t make out the expression on the orange farmer’s face, but the noticeable tint of red trailing down from under her hat overrode all other concerns.

“I don’t know,” Aj answered with gritted teeth as she rolled off of Dash while gingerly cradling her head. She passed a quick thanks to Faust that she had had the sheer fortune to have been born with a thick skull. “I’ve never seen any kind of weather like that before. Ya’ll wouldn’t know what could cause something like that?”

“There is no weather factory that would allow something like that.” Rainbow Dash responded with a dubious shrug. “At least none that I know of.”

“Applejack!” the shrill scream of a young filly silenced the two adults. Applejack felt the impact of a small body grabbing onto her. She righted herself and found her younger sister crying. Her adolescent eyes were flooded with hot tears and her body trembled in fright.

“Shh, shh, it’s alright Applebloom.” AJ held onto the little filly before climbed onto nearby bed. She then took the opportunity to wrap her hooves around the foal in an effort to provide a modicum of comfort. Even Dash joined in the embrace, equally as worried, though she was trying with all her might not to show it.

(…………………………………………………………………………………………)

Unknown the both AJ and Dash, the effects of the energy storm were to be inflicted across the whole surface of the planet Equus. Every city, town, forest, and living being was subjected to its uncaring crusade. It was an event that no one alive had ever witnessed before and at a level of power beyond anyone’s ability to comprehend or control. Those that had been sleeping soundly, minds filled with the pleasant dreams of innocence, were wrenched awake by the shouts and mindless panic the event left in its wake.

Nowhere was this phenomenon as hard hitting than it was in Canterlot, capital city Equestria. It wasn’t just because it was the center of government, the workplace of countless politicians, or even the home of the rich and famous; though those had their own part to play. It was mainly due to the two ruling Monarchs, Celestia and Luna, resided. They had been caught just as flat hooved as the rest of their nation. This, for beings who had lived for many thousands of years and had believed to have seen everything in life, it was a most unwelcomed reckoning.

The two princesses both knew that very soon their subjects would come to them seeking answers to whit neither princess was capable of giving. With long practiced dignity and grace they had quickly decided to set into motion a series of investigations and inquiries so they might solve this newest threat to their nation. May Faust have mercy on whoever had been responsible for this insult, they would be found and brought to justice to answer for their actions.

(…………………………………………………………………………………………)

There was an acrid smell of burning hair and smoke filling the air. The offensive stench served to quickly return Braeburn to consciousness yet, he hesitated to acknowledge his surroundings for fear of what he’d see. Images of two burnt bodies and a charred landscape finally rousted him. If he was injured then Strong Heart and her fellow buffalo would be too and they would all need to seek help soon.

Yet, there was not a single call of pain or for immediate aid and after a few strained moments of silence both stallion and the buffaloes slowly realized that it was safe to come out of hiding and take measure of their surroundings. To their simultaneous relief and wonder absolutely nothing had been destroyed or damaged. Apart from a light cloud of dust and sand lazily settling to the ground, and a telltale sign of blackened hair along their bodies, everyone in at the camp emerged unharmed.

“Is every creature alright?” Breaburn asked of no one in particular; receiving a few positive grunts and vocal replies. Little Strong Heart arose onto her hooves still a little shaken.

“I’m alright too.” The light sweat soaked in her fur rapidly cooling as the temperature returned to its normal nightly chill. After a lazy shaking of her head she began to pace about and muttering things under her breath. Braeburn politely waited while she argued something with herself.

“I was afraid something like this might happen.” The buffalo girl finally concluded and looked to Braeburn with a very fierce glare.

“Afraid of what? What just happened?” Braeburn dusted off his fur, unsure how to react to such an atypical reaction from her.

“It’s my father... um...” Heart hesitated.

“Chief Thunderhooves? What about him?” Braeburn looked around for the chief in question, a snort of uncertainty accidently escaped his muzzle. The adrenaline flowing in his veins threatened to override any further patience he had for finding answers to what had just occurred. Truthfully, he was scared, straight to the core of his being.

“Well... you know how I said the stars were glowing with more light than before.” Strong Heart began, to an affirmative nod from her companion.

“Yup, and ya’ll had said it was a good sign. But ah think we can both agree that that was hardly a good thing that just happened.” He had noticed the odd appearance of the stars before Heart had said anything, but he’d simply dismissed it as Princess Luna being in an uncharacteristically good mood; not as a foretelling of any significance.

“I did say that, but that wasn’t all.” She hooved the ground for a bit, “Its just that my father felt it was the first sign. I don’t know how to better tell it. A sign of...” Again she glared worryingly at the stellar bodies.

“An sign?” His sigh emerged more as a groan, “That doesn’t sound dandy apples, ah’ll be honest. I can say ah don’t rightly believe in such tall tales of portents and fortune tellin’.”

“It’s a hard thing to describe to an outsider, but I’ve always deeply respect my father and his love of the old ways,” Heart walked a few steps away from the stallion, then turned and showed a knowing smile, “though sometimes I did doubt his words, but now...”

“But now?”

“There have been tales passed down by my father, and his father before him, and his father before him, and...” the tribal girl face-hoofed, “gah, now he’s got me doing it.” she lightly giggled with embarrassment before growing serious again.

“Anyway, it's not just the stars or the tales, a part of it is instinctual; a connection to the lands that we stampede. The stars were the beginning, but we believe that what we just saw was the second sign and that it something big is about to happen.”

“Ya’ll are talking about some sort a prophecy coming true?” the stallion’s face twisted in an expression of equal skepticism and intrigue before he was interrupted by a deep bass male voice singing.

“The providence of stars,

in the ether of night,

with holy divinity alight.

Foretell that of a foe,

born a million eyes,

has fallen to their demise.

Braeburn and Strong Heart turned to face the singer and were greeted by the grim visage of Chief Thunder Hooves.

The imposing buffalo, who was easily five times the sheer mass of Braeburn, was wearing his traditional ceremonial headdress, consisting of a blue fabric band with a peacock-like display of white and brown feathers signifying his rank. Thunder’s dark brown coat was beginning to show a few touches of gray and gave off a full bodied smell of burning wood and calumet pipe smoked tobacco.

The heavens will shatter,

with a light to unfold,

purge the land of danger untold.

Witness, the time is passed,

the shepherd is near,

be they of dark heart or friend dear?”

With his song finished, the chief snorted for emphasis while panning his hoof about for dramatic flair.

“This tale has been passed down through many generation of my tribe. This night marks the birth of a new age,” he continued, “foretelling of the arrival of a being known only as ‘The Shepherd.’ Not even the harbingers of the sun and moon can hope to stop them.” Braeburn just stared slack-jawed as the Chief’s declaration.

“What are ya’ll on about?” Braeburn growled as bewilderment melted into indignation. “Are ya’ll saying that there is a threat to Equestria? What your spittin’ is total nonsense anyway, but why haven’t you told tha princesses about it anyway?”

“Hold your tongue pony.” The Chief bit back, “I speak only of that which is already in motion. Still your unease, your princesses are in no immediate peril. Just that they have no say or recourse in what will happen next once the final sign comes to pass.”

“What must we do now father?” Little Strongheart asked; both eager and terrified.

“You will not address me as such in front of the others, Little Strongheart!” Thunder Hooves harshly reprimanded his daughter.

“Sorry, Chief.” Heart backpedaled with a submissive bow. Braeburn had to fight to keep his anger in check; both for being ignored and for the callous way he had treated Little Heart. It was fortunate that he had kept his calm as he was still surrounded by a tribe of buffalo who had all congregated around them to heed the Chief’s words.

“We must seek out the one who has been chosen to serve as the living vessel of ‘The Shepherd.’ They will carry with them the proof of their sacred purpose; to serve the world as either the savior of all life or as the vanguard of its destruction.”

(…………………………………………………………………………………………)

There had been a passage of time, but for how long he was unable to comprehend. It had seemed only a moment ago that he had felt the familiar background of thrumming of electronics, human chatter, and air recyclers turning over. Pain, there had been pain too; a throbbing ache in his stomach. Now the there was just was the sounds and sensation of a cold night’s wind. The exact moment when the former had distorted into the latter was gradual, yet subtly inexorable. The chilling caress over his ragged body was only servant to amplify the discomfort he was feeling in his back and lower gut.

His brown eyes had slowly opened, to drink in his surroundings. The expanse around him was reminiscent of an Earthly desert; sand, cactus and even a nearby howl of a coyote. He pushed himself into a seated position, leaning against a large jagged rock before he had leaned forward to stand upright. The movement was rewarded with an incredible amount of pain from his stomach wound. He collapsed forward, hands and knees impacting the sand. A few calming breaths and the man stood up again before brushing the excess sand off of himself.

Admiral David Anderson had died, but he was still here.

His left hand caressed the hole in his Alliance uniform where the gunshot had pierced it. When he hadn’t felt any wetness he inspected his hand. It was dry, which meant the bleeding had stopped but the loss had left him a feeling of deathly fatigue. He pinched the bridge of his nose and let loose a groan.

As a distraction he had decided to observe his surroundings for any recognizable features and landmarks. Despite the similarities, preliminary evidence gave Anderson strong reason to suspect that he was not, in fact, on Earth. The landscape was too pristine with no signs that indicated that the Reapers had recently razed the entire area. The cacti were healthy and numerous in a postcard like setting that was peaceful, serene, and not reduced into a lifeless, dust choked, and debris filled wasteland.

In that vein the sky, apart from a few clouds, was also clear of smog which allowed an unobstructed view of the moon. Anderson had spent a good portion of his pre-military youth enjoying London’s nightlife and navigating the streets by moonlight. Later on, while learning astronomy in the naval academy, he’d been intrigued by the myths of the ‘man in the moon,’ and paid particular notice to historical accounts of the moon’s effect on cultural symbolism and religious practices. To whit lead to the man coming to the realization that the astral body presented before him was too large, or too close, to be Earth’s Luna.

Anderson found himself assuming a contemplative posture as he mulled over his position. It was strange and even a little concerning, yet he didn’t feel overly alarmed by it. He had plenty of questions on the nature of his arrival on an alien world that strangely mirrored his own. Nonetheless he’d traveled the galaxy dozens of times over, and it’d reached the point where very little surprised him anymore. The most important thing now was that he was still alive. Anderson was more troubled in figuring out if there was anyone else around or if he was alone.

“Alliance actual, this is Admiral Anderson calling for any personnel still transmitting on this frequency, over.” The dark-skinned, career military, soldier pressed his fingers against his headset, activating it for broadband transmission. His ear was filled with a hiss of white noise as he waited for a reply. He took a few measured breaths as he silently prayed for a connection.

“I repeat, this is Admiral Anderson, calling for any Alliance personnel in the area? Please respond, over.” Again there was no reply and he felt his gut start to clench in fear. “I say again, this is Admiral Anderson to any survivors monitoring this frequency, requesting immediate evac and medical attention. Over.” Again his calls were anwered only by a hissing taunt.

“Alliance actual, this is Admiral David Anderson. Is anyone out there?” he began to pace about, his voice gaining an edge of desperation, “Admiral Hackett? Commander Shepard, Sword fleet, Hammerhead, anyone?”

Only silence, and Anderson’s fingers fell away from his headset.

A few seconds later.

“Anderson, this is Commander Shepard, I read you, over.” a slightly distorted female voice answered with a tone of relief.

“Shepard, damn it’s good to hear your voice again.” Anderson could not help but feel unrestrained relief, yet he resisted showing it in his tone.

“Likewise, I’ve been trying to get a signal through for the last half hour. No responses, except for you.”

“Understood Commander, you’re coming in clear so you must be close by.” Anderson turned about attempting to spot his fellow human nearby. “Commander, do you have any information on our whereabouts or how we arrived here?” He said calmly despite the strained effort it took to use a nearby rock to help him stand on his own feet.

“Not a clue,” Shepard vocally shrugged, “all I know is that I found myself here after the Crucible activated.” Shepard com lined remained open for a couple of heartbeats before she released a sad sigh, “Unfortunatly we appear to have another problem on our hands.”

“That’s par for the course by now, Commander. For now let’s keep our eyes and ears open and try to reconnoiter nearby.”

“Understood, do you see any identifiable landmarks at your location?” She asked simply, but Anderson’s trained instincts detected something unusual in Shepard’s terse response. Her tone carried an unusual edge, but it was hard to place what it was exactly.

“I do not see anything nearby that stands out to me, it’s mostly empty flatland. How is it on your end?”

“A lot of rocks, and some bones, but I’ve spotted a small river close to me. I’ll signal my position from there.”

Anderson had not long to wait before an orb of purple biotic light shot up in a near vertical arc in the air. Anderson surveyed the orb’s origin and had quickly spotted the river in question. It was not very far away, a couple minutes travel. Even from where he was he could spot movement on the banks edge.

“I see it. Sit tight Commander, I’m on my way.” The Admiral took a measured step to his destination when his foot made contact with something that felt like metal. He looked down and found he had bumped into his trusty M-3 pistol. Carefully he reached down and retrieved the weapon before promptly holstered it.

Neither Anderson nor Shepard could have realized that the nearby tribe of buffalo had also taken notice of Shepard's signal.

(…………………………………………………………………………………………)

Anderson didn’t want to accidentally open up his wound, so he forced himself to remain extra vigilant of any rocks, needle-filled flora, or dangerous creatures that he might encounter. Thankfully, the trek passed slowly and with minimal incidence before he had arrived at the clear blue waters of the nearby river. The stream flowed with a pure and natural beauty; crisp and clear. Anderson couldn’t help but spare a moment to appreciate such an untainted sight. Yet, soon, he began to fidget in place while trying to find any sign of his friend. He had spun around a few time trying to gain a glimpse as to where she was, but grew dismayed when he had failed to spot her. Anderson keyed his headset again.

“Shepard, I’ve reached the river. What is your location?”

“Right behind you.” the Commander replied. Anderson eagerly turned to greet his friend and was slightly dismayed when he again proved incapable at spotting her. At least until he realized that something else was there instead. Angling down slightly he spotted a strange quadruped creature standing before him. The creature’s full height had barely managed to reach past his waist and it was looking straight up at him with a pair of large green eyes.

“Surprised to see me Anderson?” the alien spoke with Commander Shepard’s voice before it sat down on its rear like an expectant dog. Both Anderson and the alien critically examined each the other before…

“Shepard? Is that you?” The admiral asked slowly, disbelieve mixed with a touch of fear. It wasn’t the sight of a new extraterrestrial species that had upset him. After all he’d seen so many diverse forms of life over his career that it’d become routine, and even a little uninteresting. This, however, was unprecedented and even a little disconcerting.

“It is,” the creature rubbed its two hoofed forelimbs together nervously, “well, some of me anyways.”

The life form bore more than a passing resemblance to an Earth-bred species of horses, only smaller, a pony would have been a more accurate description. The one sitting before Anderson had a light tan coat of hair that covered its entire body and was complemented with an unkempt, fire-red mane, complete with unruly bangs, and a similarly styled tail. As he studied the pony with poorly disguised fascination, so did the equine follow him with its large pair of jade green eyes that reflected a personality with the hardness of stone and yet, oddly, charming, and set into a face covered with small brown freckles.

Any doubt Anderson had about this pony claiming to be Commander Shepard had faded when he examined the suit of blackened-charred armor the equine wore. Most of the suit was melted into a state beyond usefulness. Yet, it still bore a faded N7 logo on the breastplate. No matter what, his instinct told him that this couldn’t be real and still, Anderson was convinced that this was Commander Shepard; still alive somehow, physical form to the contrary.

The reality of the situation was still a blaster bolt to the face, and the shock was clear in his face.

“Good god child! What’s happened to you. You’re...”

“I think the word you’re looking for is cute,” she crooked an eyebrow, “adorable maybe…”

“In the same sentence as Commander Shepard? Dying once is enough, I’d like to keep on breathing if it's all the same to you.” Anderson had known Shepard for years and he had to admit that she had never been hard on the eyes. Maybe, if he’d been thirty years younger, he might’ve made a pass at her. Regardless of all of that, Anderson found his present company was better described as being more cute than sexy, and more adorable than deadly. Of course he’d never utter such things in front of her; he wasn’t suicidal after all.

Anderson raised his right arm at Shepard, the orange-yellow color of his holographic omni-tool had come alive. The semi-transparent display was comprised of a complex user-interface along with screens that could display a staggering amount of data. Using the highly sophisticated computer, he made several cursory scans of Shepard’s new body.

“Strange. my omni-tool confirms you really are Commander Shepard. However, it seems to believe that you’re still a human.” A 3D image of her human form materialized over the computer. Shepard spared but a moment to familiarize herself with her old body before letting out a defeated sign.

“So you believe that I am me.” Shepard released a seized breath. “That’s good because I didn’t know how to convince you otherwise. Maybe you have some idea on how we got here?”

Before either could contemplate further their attention was robbed by the long tone of a howling coyote. A call that was soon returned and echoed across the night from different directions.

“I think this will make for a very interesting story, but right now we should find someplace safe.” Despite her alternative and less threatening form her commanding voice was as deep and grim as ever.

“Agreed.” Anderson nodded as he followed Shepard’s trot.

“I already did some preliminary recon around the immediate area.” Shepard pointed towards the south, “I think I might’ve spotted a nearby settlement. We should make our way there.”