• Published 3rd May 2012
  • 15,417 Views, 344 Comments

Mass Effect: Continuum - Oceansama



Shepard and Anderson are tossed into Equestria shortly following the activation of the Crucible super-weapon. Once there, they meet a tribe of buffalo who seem to know exactly who Shepard is.

  • ...
37
 344
 15,417

9. False Accusations (April 2021)

Chapter 9: False Accusations

(…………………………………………………………………………………………)

Metal squealed against metal as the Equestion locomotive came to a screeching halt at the Appleloosa train station. The engineer pulled hard on the brakes while releasing the steam buildup in the engine, his skill assured that none of the passengers felt more than a minor discomfort at the deceleration. Once the train had halted to a complete stop, he pulled on an overhead cord and allowed the sharp whistle of the horn to announce their arrival.

The long line of cars then opened up and allowed ponies of all ages and colors to disembark, luggage in hoof or on their back, eager to enjoy their time in Appleloosa. Most of the patrons were earth-ponies, but there were also few unicorns and pegasi mixed in. Most were there on vacation or to visit family, their excited chatter made the day all the more bright.

Three members of the Apple family were happily counted amongst them, along with their loyal pegasus friend, Rainbow Dash. After the train staff had checked to make sure that there were no outstanding medical issued, they then opened the cabin doors and ushered everypony out onto the station proper.

Out of all of them, Applebloom was the most eager to leave the cramped metal box behind; though her head was hanging low, black bags visible under her eyes, and with tear stained cheeks. She had no energy to be bothered to watch where she was trotting, she simply didn’t care. She was content to simply let her hoof steps carry her along, slow and sluggish as they were.

(…………………………………………………………………………………………)

She’d been asleep when the storm hit; jolted awake with only a few precious seconds before the storm had swept across the train in a tsunami that had nearly toppled the train car outright. Thankfully, nopony had been critically injured even as reality had seemed to fall apart around them. Her family would say that she was too young to understand, but Applebloom was aware of just how close death had passed them by. She’d seen it, a monster big beyond imagining, cold and unfeeling, screaming into the night.

None of that mattered to Big Mac as he was not a stallion big on words. Silently he cradled his little sister close to his chest. His massive fore hoof, powerful and heavy, was surprisingly gentle as he stroked her back. At the same time her big sister whispered calm assurances that everything was going to be alright; that the threat had passed and they were all safe. Nearly an hour had passed before Applebloom was finally lulled back into an uneasy rest.

But the nightmare was still there; tall, dark, it seemed to be searching for something.

(…………………………………………………………………………………………)

“Now ya behave and wait a tick here, Applebloom. We’ll just be done quicker than two shakes of a rabbit’s tail.” Applejack gave a reassuring rub to the filly’s mane. Reassurances aside, one minute quickly turned into two, then five, and then an agonizing ten as the filly struggled to keep her eyes open.

Applebloom leaned back onto the bench, completely bored, waited for her siblings to claim their luggage from the baggage car. She knew they had a lot to unload; most of it was ingredients and utensils for backing foods that Sweet Apple Acres was famous for. Pies, fritters, fizzy cider, apple uglies, brown betties and so much more; even including half a dozen barrels of Applejack’s world renowned hard liqueur; the adult-only variety. Though, at this point, transporting baked goods and fermented liquids was not foremost on her young mind. She only wanted to get to her uncle’s ranch and squeeze in a quick nap and shower before the reunion was to start.

Looking up and down the station platform, she felt a sudden unease. There were several market stands nearby that sold a variety of food and merchandise; hats, dresses, mini train models, snow globes, candies, caramel treats, peanut treats, caramel-peanut treats, more candies, and countless other cheap wares that had been made to lighten a tourist’s money purse.

That was not what bothered her.

The temperature, possibly, she had been waiting in the shade all this time yet, her coat was completely soaked in sweat. Applebloom pulled out a brush to clean herself as staying hygienic was important, especially now as she was about to meet her cousin, Bab Seed, for the first time and she wanted to make a good first impression.

Her thoughts drifted to her other friends; Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo and she wished they had been able to make it to the reunion as well. But the two of them had been grounded due to an unfortunate accident involving a cement mixer, fireworks, several cartons of salt-water taffy, and a rubber chicken. The aftermath made tree sap, by comparison, feel like a fine silk dress.

Applebloom couldn’t help but giggle, despite her brush having caught several knots in her mane. Only after defeating the knots, and affixing her mane bow to its proper place, did she happen to spot a most curious pony approaching the ticket booth; given that it was not a pony at all.

“Ah can’t believe it. A real live buffalo,” she spoke to herself in a mixture of curiosity and awe, “it might even be Little Strong Heart, ah heard so much about her.” Despite her sister’s insistence that she shouldn’t wander off, the filly bolted to greet the newcomer. “Ah can’t wait ta tell everypony back in Ponyville.” She had never met or seen a buffalo before, the only stories she knew of them were the ones Applejack had shared.

The station was incredibly crowded with ponies and employees wandering about as they attended their business. For such a small town, Applebloom had not expected it to be so unbelievably packed. Thanks to her small size, it was easy to maneuver her way under the various bodies. It made her feel super stealthy like those ninjas that Scootaloo always gushed over.

(…………………………………………………………………………………………)

The buffalo had company; a peach colored mare, with a fire red mane, was there and the two of them were discussing, something, while scrutinizing a map of the Equestrian railways. The filly dismissed it as boring adult stuff, choosing to sit nearby and let the two of them finish. She didn’t want to interrupt, after all, Applejack had taught her that it was very rude to do so.

Waiting, patiently, she had found herself looking over the mare’s mane. It was cut slightly shorter than what was generally considered, ‘in style,’ and looked badly in need of some T.L.C. Or maybe it was the mare herself, there just seemed to be something strange about her.

Applebloom had completely forgotten about the buffalo by this point. Intrigue was mixed with a little bit of fear and, for all the apples in Equestira, she didn’t know why she was feeling this way as the mare was not all that different from any other pony. That’s how it appeared at first till the filly, much to her shocked horror, realized the mare was undeniably a blank flank.

Applebloom hadn’t realized that she’d let loose a loud gasp of hysteria that drew everypony’s attention to her, including the buffalo and the strange mare.

“Ya…ya’ll don’t have a c-cutie mark?” Applebloom squeaked as tears began to form in the corner of her eyes. Maybe it was the stress from a lack of sleep, but the discovery that an adult could have a blank flank had broken something inside of her. Everypony always told her the same thing, that all ponies eventually discovered their Cutie-Mark, the very thing that defined their future. Maybe some ponies never did find their Cutie-Mark.

“No, ma big sister would neva lie!” With this horrific revelation, Applebloom finally felt the previous night’s stress and anxiety come crashing down. She ground with uncontrolled misery flooding from her eyes as her brain tried to comprehend a cold and unfeeling reality.

(…………………………………………………………………………………………)

“What are you talking about.” Shepard felt an unaccounted guilt, confused as to why this yellow filly was breaking down in front of her with tears accompanied by shuddering hiccups and sniffles. She hated this, not because she was somehow the reason the child was in such distress, but that seeing such a sight, no matter the species, brought back terrible memories of her own.

“Hey, it’s going to be ok.” She said gently, carefully approaching the filly.

Bending over Shepard reached out with a hoof, but withdrew a moment before contact; suddenly self-conscious as to how other around her would perceive that scene. Surely the child’s parents were nearby and might interpret her gesture as something more sinister.

“I’m sure this is just a misunderstanding.” She sat down. “We’ll just wait here for your parents to find you. I’m sure they are around here.”

“I…,” the filly started to wipe the tears, “I’m sorry Miss, ya’ll didn’t do anythin’. I…I just got really scared when I saw…” the filly tried to say more, but stopped when an adult mare, with unkempt orange fur, and a stetson atop her head, approached the two of them.

The newcomer’s ears were perked and turned to the sniffling filly, yet, her face had a large frown that was reserved for the Commander only. Green eyes, both worried and challenging locked with Shepard’s red. So strong were these emotions from the Mare that Shepard decided to back up a few steps, while trying to seem as nonthreatening as possible.

“What in tarnation is goin’ on here?” the mare put a hoof around the filly, dragging her back. “Applebloom what have Ah told ya about talkin’ to strangers.” The mare’s expression melting as she delicately brushed at the filly’s tears. “Now tell me what’s wrong.”

“I was just trottin’ around when…when,” Applebloom didn’t look the mare in the eyes, “Tell me tha’ truth, Applejack. Am I gonna be a blank flank forever?”

“Applebloom, we’ve talked about this before. You know ya’ll will find her special talent eventually.”

As the sisters talked, Shepard felt a need to make herself scarce and there was no need for her presence any longer. As she turned to walk away she suddenly found herself blocked off by a large red wall of hair. Looking up she saw, built like a stone pillar, the largest stallion she’d seen; at least as far as the stallions on this world were concerned. He stood a clear two heads taller than her with a mane of sun-burnt yellow and a demeanor that was both calm and intimidating.

“Enope,” he plainly said.

“Aren’t you a big one.” Shepard quipped, hiding her concern with a smirk as she could his massive muscles moving beneath his coat as he moved to block her way. His size and toned physique was daunting, his movements seemed lazy but purposeful. Shepard was doubtful she could take him on in a straight up melee fight, but she had more than a few biotic tricks up her (nonexistent) sleeve. Which, she had to remind herself, were currently forbidden by order of the Admiral and their sudden unpredictable condition. With so many witnesses around, however, using biotics would have proven to be unwise regardless, especially if the reactions from the buffalo were any indication.

“What in tha sour apples did ya say to mah little sister?” Orange demanded, flanking Shepard from the other side before poking the Commander in the chest. “And who the plum high-heck do ya’ll think ya are? Picking on a littl’ filly like that?”

“Applejack,” The filly interrupted grabbing the larger mare by the hind leg, only to get shushed.

“Not now Applebloom, the big ponies are talking.”

When it came to fight or flight, Shepard rarely ever listened to the latter. The situation, however, was beginning to draw a large crowd of onlookers. Fighting would mean taking on the red giant and a pissed off sibling trtubg protecting her sister. She already had a negative reputation on this alien world, and she didn’t feel like adding anymore to it.

“Hey, whoa, let’s just relax for a moment,” she raised a fore-hoof to show she was unarmed, “I would never verbally accost a child. It’s unprofessional and beneath me.”

“Yeah, likely story,” With a harsh downward blast of air, a cyan colored pegasus, with a six-toned rainbow mane, came to a flying halt inches from the ground. The action threw up a cloud of dirt and sand causing Shepard to shield her face before finding the Pegasus planting her muzzle firmly against hers.

“You’re nothing but a big bully. Try picking on somepony your own size or do you think that teasing little fillies for their blank flanks makes feel like all that and a bag of hay chips?” The pegasus’ scratchy tomboyish voice was aggressive with an eagerness to throw down, while she scrutinized Shepard as one would an insect.

“Easy there, sugarcube” Applack pulled her friend back, “I want to hear what tha mare has to say.”

“Hmph, fine.” The pegaus leaned back with fore hooves crossed. Shepard already knew she didn’t like the Pegasus, but she grit her teeth, now was a time for careful diplomacy.

“If what ya’ll say is true, then why was my little sister crying her bow off in front of you?”

“Applejack was it?” the orange mare gave a nod, “I don’t know exactly what happened. Your sister said something to me about missing a QT-mark and then got really upset. I didn’t say anything cruel to her. I respect that you’re trying to protect her, but this has all been a big misunderstanding.”

“How can I know ya’ll are tellin’ the truth?”

“Just as her, I think that’s what she’s trying to tell you.”

“It’s true,” the filly jumped in one cue, grateful that somepony was going to listen. “It’s true, when I saw that she didn’t have cutie-mark, I got upset. I didn’t mean to cause a ruckus.”

“Oh, sugarcube, I understand how much findin’ your special talent means to you.” She gave her sister an affectionate nuzzle, “But yer’ eye’s must’ve been playin’ trick on you or this mare’s cutie-mark is hard to see against her coat, so I’m sure ya’ll just missed it.”

“But,” she pointed a hoof at the Commander, “she doesn’t.”

“Now don’t be rude, Applebloom. I know you must be shaky after last night, but every pony finds their mark.”

“Oh pony feathers!” the Pegasus suddenly cried, “She doesn’t, she actually doesn’t have a mark.”

“Enope” Big Red agreed.

(…………………………………………………………………………………………)

Applejack had to do a double take as the four of them took in the impossibility that was the mysterious mare, who looked very uncomfortable under their combined scrutiny. What Applebloom had said was true, the evidence was standing there right in front of them.

“How is this possible?” AJ circled the impossible mare “All ponies get their cutie-marks when they’re foals.” She reached out as if touching would make it any less ridiculous. A growl from the mare gave AJ second thoughts, instead she tapped her chin in thought. “Tha only time a pony is missing a cutie-mark is if they’ve been drained of their magic.”

“Doesn’t that leave them really weak and exhausted?” Rainbow added.

“Eyup.” AJ nodded, coming back around to face the mare “But ya look pretty spry ta me.”

“Yeah, you some kinda freak!” Rainbow leveraging an accusatory hoof, to which, the mare gave a scowl of offense exposing her predatory teeth. For AJ this set off all sorts of alarm bells. A pony unaffected by the lack of a mark, sharp teeth, and, the closer she looked, the mare had eyes that seemed to look through you. She had never seen a pony like this before, but was this even a pony to begin with.

“You are right Rainbow, not just a freak; a changlin’.” AJ concluded, the word seemed to leave a bitter taste in her mouth. The mare seemed confused. Meanwhile the gathered crowd began to mutter and gossip, while taking a few hesitant steps back. Rainbow Dash, on the other hoof looked mostly convinced, but still a little doubtful.

“Think Rainbow, back to Cadance’s weddin’ a few months ago. Not all of them changlin’s could make perfect copies of us. Some of them had tha wrong cutie-marks, or,” she gave the mystery mare a heated stare, “no cutie-mark at all.”

“I don’t know what a changeling is and I certain am not one,” the mare ran a hoof down her face and barrel, “this is just how I am, and I’ve never had a need for one of these QT-marks you’re obsessed with.” The mare’s stood proud at her words, not a hint of fear or doubt escaping her.

“Oh yeah!” Rainbow’s was positive now, “that’s just what a changeling would say.”

“I agree with Rainbow, every ponies destiny relies on it, only an apple-hatin’ changeling would not care about a cutie-mark” AJ took a step closer to the suspected changeling. “Ya’ll want us to believe you are not a changelin’, but I’ll prove ya are.”

“OK,” the mare sat down, back straight, “how?”

“Well, uhh…” AJ pondered the question, changelings usually copied their identity from a real pony and then ensnared the original someplace where nopony else could find them. Unfortunately they had no idea where the original pony would be; something to grill out of this changeling once they exposed her true nature. “how do we prove she is a changeling?” She asked Dash, who also was mulling over the problem and only shrugged.

“Got any ideas Big Mac?”

“Enope.”

“Well, it seems we are at an impasse.” The mare concluded, “So if you’ll excuse me, I should go.” She turned and stared to walk away.”

“I got it,” Dash proclaimed bringing one forehoof down on the other. “We knock her out.”

“What?.” Both AJ and the mare said in unison.

“When we were kicking flank and taking names, dishing out the the pain to the bugs, the changelings always lost their disguise after a good buck to the face.” Rainbow puffed out her tuft like she was being presented an award from the princess herself.

“Try it and I’ll break more than your face.” The mare slammed her hooves together, before rearing back defensively.

“Enope” Big Mac’s voice rumbled in warning, giving the mare a neutral, glance.

For several moments no pony made a move, the tension in the was air growing by the second. AJ and Dash whispered to each to a plan to take on the mysterious mare. One good hit would be all it would take to break the changeling's disguise. Off to the side an enterprising stallion had started a betting pool on if the mare in question was, or wasn’t a changeling, and who would be the pony to deliver the deciding blow between AJ, Dash, and Big Mac.

Big Mac just stood in place, passively observing the situation, yet ready to jump in if needed.

Having come to a decision Applejack and Rainbow gave each other a hoof-bump before moving in the attack.

“Oh, Shepard there you are. I see you found Applejack and Rainbow Dash.” A familiar voice interrupted, “I must’ve gotten the wrong train car.”

Comments ( 25 )

A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one.

Was this chapter rewritten?

I liked it much better with the fight scene.

10785661
The fight scene was badass but this is more true to AJ's personality.

Kinda miss the fight scene to be honest, but this is more in character to Aj and Rainbow's character.

:pinkiecrazy: the new chapters begin~

10785599
Yep.
In the older version, Shepard would have already cracked Dash across the jaw for calling her a freak and the changeling angle is completely new.

10785792

I thought the fight scene was awesome.

Hey there Oceansama! Can you please put the fight scene back up as a non-canon chapter? Please!

I'd really appreciate it if you did.^_^

10786581
You're in luck, I do so happen to have a backup of all the original ME-C chapters (pre-2021 edits). Let me give the 'battle' a quick once over for spelling/grammar and I'll post it as a non-canon chapter at the same time I post a new entry.

Sound good?

10785934
Indeed they do. Happy to see your still sticking around. :twilightsmile:

10786622

You're in luck, I do so happen to have a backup of all the original ME-C chapters (pre-2021 edits). Let me give the 'battle' a quick once over for spelling/grammar and I'll post it as a non-cannon chapter at the same time I post a new entry.

Sound good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSnfdncZCYo

Yes.

Yay!^_^

Much better, way more in character and less forced. Well done.

Yay! Welcome back! :rainbowkiss:

I don't think I saw any part where they explained Anderson's absence. Why didn't he go into town too? I can think of reasons but I'd say it's important to have in the story.

Looking forward to more.

10788487
I didn't note them as I read. However, I found another way. I will PM you.

10799902
\T/ DOUBLE SUN POWAH! \T/

I am liking this. Good to see it back.

I actually think Starlight would get along with Shephard. Kind of wonder how she would react to a cutiemarkless adult pony.

I am excited to see that this is being worked on again, even better than what I (admittedly vaguely) remember. I hope to read more, good work!

I am guessing this story is dead again.

Im am very interested in this story hope it goes far

any crossover mass effect stories that doesn't take both equestria and galactic community seriously are bad stories.

i lived by that creed, this is bad story.

I read the description, and I thought: ‘I’ve never actually played Mass Effect, but you know what? This looks like a great story anyhow. I’ll just check its production status... 2012, 2013, 2013, unfinished. Noo! Another great story cut down in its... Wait a minute, I see a 2021 in here.’
I’ll just put this one in my ‘unfinished but not dead, you should read this if it finishes’ pile then. Best of luck, for admittedly more selfish reasons than normal.

Those two morons owe our precious Shephard a huge ass apology!

Sadly, this story won't continue!?

I'm not giving up my hopes for this story, seeing as it took the writer a few years to make an update, i'm sure they'll publish the next chapter soon. This is one of my favorite MLP/Mass Effect crossover.

Login or register to comment