• Published 14th Jan 2015
  • 20,133 Views, 2,190 Comments

Friendship is Grievous - Snake Staff



All welcome the latest visitor to Equestria... General Grievous?

  • ...
91
 2,190
 20,133

The Battle of Canterlot (I)

The Separatist Droid Army marched relentlessly up the mountain towards Canterlot, following its armored spearhead. The AATs at the fore of the vast column were the first to fire on Equestria’s capital, the sound of their heavy main blaster cannons echoing easily above the nervous whispers and whinnies of the ponies within. The laser blasts tore through the air en-mas, impacting against the city’s protective barrier with tremendous force. Explosions rippled across the magical bubble, but it was built from the magic of alicorns and a draconequus alike under the guidance of the leading expert in such spells, and so did not break.

After almost a solid minute of bombardment from the hovertanks had made no noticeable impact on the shield, a tactical droid with the label T-XB17 poking from the top of one of the AATs raised its hand. Instantly, the every single one of the tanks ceased fire. For a moment that seemed to Princess Luna to stretch out for far too long, all was silence. And then the droid pointed one finger at the white and gold city.

“All units,” it commanded in a dull but somehow feminine-sounding monotone. “Advance and fire.”

Obediently, the orderly lines of B-1s resumed their advance, seeming to flow around the AATs in their dozens, then hundreds, then thousands. The shield would not repulse them, Luna knew. It was a spell designed to deflect energy attacks, physical projectiles moving at speed, and dark magic. The droids were not creatures of dark magic, merely mindless conglomerations of mechanical parts and electricity. And the princesses could hardly have set the spell to repel everything from outside when it had been cast several days after Grievous’ initial arrival. Canterlot was, after all, the capital of the nation and as such had a regular amount of traffic to and from it. And of course, at the time they had had only a guess as to who any potential enemy might be. There simply had not been a way to calibrate it to specifically repel alien machines, as no relevant magical research had been done on the subject.

As Luna predicated, the first battle droids to reach the shimmering pink barrier forced their way through it as though it were simply some especially viscous liquid, their passage causing visible ripples in the shield. They continued their march forward without pause, aiming their blasters at the city’s outer walls and the Royal Guard that manned them. Red laser blasts and beams of unicorn magic flew through the air as the two sides began to exchange fire.

And then the droids walked into the first of the sisters’ surprises.

Over the course of their long, long lives, Celestia and Luna had made many friends and allies. Among them was a water spirit that had taken up residence in the reservoir high atop the mountain where Canterlot stood. Normally shy and reclusive, at their request it had acceded to lay in wait in the small river outside the city gates. When the first droids drew near, the water of the mountain rose up into a titan with an amorphous humanoid head, arms, and chest and a cone of pure water below the waist.

The spirit’s fists lashed out at the intruding machines, sweeping away a dozen in a single blow. The other droids immediately turned their weapons on the giant. At such close range, and with such a large target, even their notoriously poor aiming programs could not fail to find their mark. Red blaster bolts impacted on the creature by the dozen, each hit causing a small flash of steam and a ripple across its surface. But the creature was enormous, and the impacts against it small. Its arms stretched out even further as it swept them across the ground before it. Droids were caught in the currents, crushed by the weight, or thrown off the great mountain altogether. The Royal Guard atop the walls redoubled their own barrage of projectiles, and foot by foot the droid line was forced back. They kept coming with the fearlessness of those lacking any sense of self-preservation, but very soon were being destroyed the moment they forced their way into the shield.

At last, after several hundred droids had been pulped for only a handful of pony casualties, the tactical droid outside called the advance to a halt. With another gesture, she signaled for a trio of AATs to advance. The armored behemoths forced their way through the shield more easily than the droids had, and the hail of projectiles and magic from the wall did little but scorch their armor. Immediately the B-1 advanced resumed in their wake, droids marching through the shield once again.

The AATs concentrated their fire on the water spirit, their far larger cannons vaporizing considerably more of its body with each hit. For a moment it looked as though it were shrinking back, but the next it slammed its fist into one of the tanks. Water poured into the machine from all angles, crushing the droid crew under its pressure and shorting out it internal electronics. The other fist solidified into a virtual mace of ice, which rammed the leftmost tank on the side. The ice shattered into a million pieces, but the tank was sent hurling over the edge of the cliff by the sheer kinetics force of it. It plummeted to the ground far below the city, visibly exploding upon contact. The final tank fired its main cannon directly into the water creature’s “head”, which was vaporized immediately. Far from crumbling, more water flowed out to reform both fist and head, with which it promptly flooded the third AAT. With their armor removed, the droid line was once again slowly but surely forced back towards the barrier by the combined efforts of the water spirit and the Royal Guard.

From where she stood atop the palace battlements, Princess Luna felt a cautious sense of optimism creeping in. The battle, at least so far, seemed to be going well.


“Idiot droids!” General Grievous pounded his fist onto his command chair’s armrest and snarled. “Can’t they do anything right?!”

The cyborg general had been observing the opening stages of the attack via a holoprojector in his transport’s cabin, and he had not liked what he had seen on the three dimensional image. B-1s were expendable, certainly, but they were supposed to at least take down more of the enemy than they had so far. More importantly, time was a crucial factor in this campaign, and he had no idea how much they had.

As always, the general’s moronic subordinates were fumbling about like blind fools, smashing their heads against a brick wall in the hopes of taking it down. Even the so-called “tactical droids” appeared to be oblivious to what the cyborg found ridiculously simple. The water in the river beside Canterlot continued to flow freely from higher up the mountain, but the flow past where the water giant had appeared was virtually dried up, the riverbed containing a slight trickle and the elegant waterfall gone. This fact, combined with the creature’s evident regenerative capabilities, led Grievous to a very simple conclusion.

“You!” he barked at one of the droids standing behind command consoles. “Order Fireheart Squadron to commence a bombing run on these coordinates!” he tapped the holographic image of a cavern near the mountaintop from which the river was flowing down towards Canterlot. The spot his clawed finger touched lit up. “I want a full proton bomb spread into that cave!”

“Yes sir!” the droid answered, hurrying to transmit the general’s commands.

Grievous watched the hologram before him shift as the designated squadron of Hyena bombers adjusted their course and soared towards the mountain. As they approached the target, all five droid ships launched five projectiles at the exact same moment. The Hyena bombers pulled away as the five glowing proton bombs flew into the mouth of the cavern. Seconds later, there was a spectacular explosion. Vast quantities of water were instantly vaporized, sent hurdling into the already dark sky as steam. More importantly, the cavern and a considerable portion of the mountain face around it collapsed, sending streams of debris raining down on pony and droid alike. The planet’s natives deflected the worst of the small landslide before it could strike their city and a number of droids were crushed, but far more important was the fact the water flow had ceased.

Now order our armor forward,” Grievous directed.

At his command, the remaining AATs outside the city surged forward, driving straight through the shield. Their heavy guns unleashed hell on the water beast, vaporizing enormous amounts of its liquid body with each hit. It fought back as best it could, destroying two more tanks with its tremendous fists even as B-1s advanced behind the armored vehicles. But, deprived of the water flow it needed to regenerate its body, the creature’s fate was sealed. Shot by shot it was worn down by tanks and droids alike, until at last it lost all coherency and collapsed into a thin puddle in the dry riverbed.

“Press the attack,” the cyborg commanded. “Kill them all.”


The water spirit’s demise signaled the start of the true battle for Canterlot. Hundreds of droids and several tanks had already been destroyed, but the Separatist army was still quite large. AATs fired their cannons at the city’s outer walls, while rank after rank of droids marched through behind them. The exchange of fire between the walls and the ground below intensified almost fourfold as the Royal Guard struggled to keep up with the sheer number of enemies pouring in.

Canterlot’s walls had been primarily designed with peacetime in mind, but they had withstood more than one siege in their long years. The heavy blaster shots rocked the ancient stone and burnt away its paint, but did not immediately blow it to pieces. Rather, the Royal Guard atop the wall and within the towers that interspersed the structure were being taken out one at a time. The B-1s were not especially accurate, but there were now hundreds of them inside the shield’s perimeter, all concentrating fire on those brave ponies that were defending their home. There were simply more blaster bolts in the air than magical attacks or projectile weapons, and every droid cut down was immediately replaced by another. One by one those soldiers behind the battlements and in the tower windows were cut down, or else forced to keep their heads to the ground.

Even as Luna watched, one of the AAT shots finally overcame a tower’s enchantments. In a spectacular explosion, much of the structure’s middle was sheared off. The top of the building toppled over in an avalanche of stone, tile, and metal, crushing to death almost a dozen ponies caught beneath it. The alicorn’s heart was simultaneously filled with sorrow and righteous anger at the deaths of her subordinates.

“Now, Tia?” the night princess enquired of her sister.

The solar princess, now arrayed in full golden battle armor, made for a splendid sight. In contrast, her face was grim.

“Not yet,” answered Celestia without looking at her younger sibling. “Wait just a little longer.”

“But our ponies are dying out there!” Luna complained. “Surely ‘tis our duty to be among them!”

“And so we shall be, Lulu,” Celestia replied. “But first we need to time our counterattack for maximum impact.” The white alicorn gestured at the tactical droid, still halfway out of her tank, directing the incoming droid forces from beyond the shield.

Luna could see her sister’s logic, but it still ate at her to sit back and allow her subjects to die on her behalf while she awaited the perfect moment that might never come. Nonetheless, the solar alicorn had more experience with modern warfare than did her sister, so Luna repressed her urges and waited atop the tower of Canterlot Palace.

On the city’s edge, the situation was beginning to turn critical. Rank after rank of battle droids advanced through the protective barrier in a seemingly endless tide, flooding the ground between the outer walls and the shield’s edge. Blaster bolts were flying thick and freely, burning the artistically-carved marble of the city’s buildings and exploding into showers of sparks at every turn. Return fire from the Royal Guard in the area was sparse and isolated, with anypony that stuck their head up for more than a second immediately targeted by a score of droids. Few were left alive long enough to do so in any case.

Then, the great gate that barred the entrance to Canterlot took one more impact than even its heavy and ancient enchantments could endure. Struck by an AAT’s main gun, it exploded in a spectacular fireball, sending chunks of wood and metal flying in all directions. A few droids closest to the blast were shredded, but the soulless automata shrugged off those losses as stoically as they had all their other losses to date.

“Go!” the tactical droid commanded from atop her AAT. “Go!”

At the droid’s command, the remaining AATs surged forward and through the shield, while those already inside made for the now-open portal. As before, ranks of B-1 battle droids followed in the wake, ready to storm Equestria’s capital and put it to the torch.

Celestia turned to her sister and nodded. “Now.”

Grinning viciously, Luna put the silver horn that had hung on her flank to her lips and blew two long notes.

That was the signal. As one, the two alicorn sisters took flight from Canterlot Palace, as did a full two hundred pegasi around them. Mostly Royal Guard, but with small detachment that had been borrowed from the Wonderbolts, the flying ponies soared rapidly over the capital and descended on the heads of the unprepared droid army.

Equestria, though long a nation of peace, had not entirely forgotten the ways of war. Once upon a time, during the days of Commander Hurricane and the Pegasopolis Legions, the pegasi had made war from the sky with the wrath of nature and lightning-fast dive bomb attacks. Now the pegasi of the modern era continued the martial traditions of their ancestors, swooping down with miniaturized storm clouds and potent alchemic explosives to wreak havoc on the invaders. Dozens of lightning bolts struck the massive advancing tanks, overwhelming their electronic systems and shorting out the droids within. Explosions rocked the ground troops as the pegasi tossed their primitive grenades into tightly-packed formations. Mechanical limbs and heads went flying in every direction.

Cut off from their air support by Canterlot’s protective bubble and with their primary focus on the open gateway in front of them, the droids’ first response was clumsy and ill-aimed. Princess Luna’s expression was one of malicious glee as she repaid the droids in full for their defiling of her land. Her horn unleashed blast after blast of mystic blue fire into the battle droids, burning scores to foul-smelling molten slag in a matter of seconds. Dodging their slow attempts to return fire with contemptuous ease, Luna swooped in low over their heads – low enough even to kick at the mechanical soldiers with her armored hooves.

Ahead, Luna spied her true target. Atop one of the remaining AATs, the tactical droid T-XB17 was attempting to coordinate the enemy response, pointed her finger into the sky and shouting for the B-1s to fire upwards in volleys. Grinning wickedly, Luna soared straight at the enemy leader. By the time she turned her head enough to notice the incoming alicorn, it was already too late. Luna stretched out her front hooves and grabbed T-XB17’s head as she passed, her reflexes easily able to time it right. Her supernatural strength proved more than adequate to the task, wrenching the droid’s head from her body without noticeable strain.

As Luna ascended upwards once more, she waved the head proudly, making certain her sister could see her accomplishment. Celestia nodded in acknowledgement as the two alicorns passed one another. Pegasi who saw cheered their princess as they came around for another attack run.

However, even without the coordinating influence of a tactical droid, the B-1s below were still soldiers. Incompetent and stupid they might be, but they had programming enough to know to raise their blaster rifles to the sky during the Equestrians’ next pass. Their aim was still poor, but there were far more blaster bolts rushing up to meet the ponies that time. Luna dodged the lasers with ease, burning more droids with her fire. But not everypony was so lucky. Out of the corner of her eye the night princess saw more than one pegasus burned through with a blaster shot or several. Explosions and lightning still shook the droid army, but less so than they had the first time. And the B-1s kept coming.

To her dismay, Princess Luna heard two short notes from her sister’s own horn. That was the call for a general retreat, which the pegasi around her were happy enough to heed. The air around the princess was thick with blaster fire as the pegasus flight swooped back the way it had come. Of the two hundred that had set out, around one hundred and forty ponies touched back down at Canterlot Castle to rearm and reload.

As Princess Luna settled back down on the balcony of the palace tower to get a fuller view of combat once more, she found her heart beginning to sink. Hundreds – no, thousands – of battle droids littered the ground before and immediately inside of the city, but it was still not enough. There were thousands more packing the mountain road to Canterlot that Luna could see, and they showed no sign of breaking. The battle droids marched remorselessly through the magical shield over piles of their own dead, driving relentlessly into the city proper. The Royal Guard just inside had used the temporary letup to bring in fresh replacements and send the worst wounded to the back, but they were already embroiled in combat once more. And yet again, they began to die.

Luna came to a dismaying realization. “There are too many,” she thought as she stared out at the seemingly-endless tide. “There are just too many.”

Celestia touched down beside her sister, looking grim, with several scorch marks on her golden armor where blaster bolts had impacted. Looking at her own enchanted silver armor, Luna realized with a start that she too had been hit during her flight – she just hadn’t noticed. It was a depressing revelation to a mind that was rapidly becoming gloomy.

“Sister,” asked Luna apprehensively as more and more droids spilled into the city proper, smoke and explosions coming from deeper and deeper inside. “What are we to do now?”

Celestia gritted her teeth and said nothing.

Luna swallowed, her ears folded back. There were other traps, other preparations they had made for the contingency of conflict, but… In the face of so much raw firepower, they seemed to the night princess to be wholly inadequate.

“Is this…” she wondered silently. “Is this the end? For all of us?”


General Grievous observed the tactical hologram with undisguised malice and amusement. It was over, anyone could see that. In spite of everything the equines had done, it was over. It was simply a numbers game at this point, nothing more. And numbers Grievous had in abundance. Almost five thousand droids had fallen since the engagement began, but ten thousand more stood outside the capital and were marching in. They had forced their way through the outer walls and were deep into street-to-street fighting. The droids’ superior numbers would tell even in such confined chokepoints, with each machine that fell being immediately replaced by another. They could not be pushed back. Indeed, the streets they had taken were so packed that B-1s were already spilling over into houses and buildings to execute the civilians within.

Grievous laughed malevolently, clenching his fist. Victory was his!

“Sir?” the annoyingly squeaky voice of a B-1 interrupted his silent gloating.

“What?!” Grievous snapped irritably at the droid.

“Count Dooku is here, sir. His ship has touched down outside our transport.”

“Ah, very good,” Grievous said, his good humor immediately restored. “Invite him to come inside. It will be good to have him witness my revenge.”

“Yes sir,” the droid replied, transmitting the cyborg’s invitation to the count’s ship.

Grievous sat back in his chair, folding his hands together. He felt satisfied, if a little disappointed not to be killing the traitorous bitch Luna with his own hands. Ah well, one couldn’t have everything, he supposed.

“Uh, sir?” came the voice of a different battle droid.

“Yes?” replied Grievous in a much more level tone.

“There’s something here you should really see…”


Princess Luna was just debating with herself whether to continue following her sister’s lead or to strike out on her own to make a land stand among the Royal Guard at a place of her choosing when something caused her ears to stand up.

“Huh?” the night princess looked up from her hooves. “What in…”

There were bright flashes and thunderclaps from among the droid army on the mountain roads.

No, Luna realized as she looked closer. Not flashes.

Explosions.

The alicorn’s head immediately turned skyward, seeking the source of the destruction. What she saw made her heart leap.

Republic gunships. Dozens of them.

The LAAT ships were diving from the sky above, unleashing their own brand of hell on the hapless droid army. Missiles and green laser fire alike rained down upon the ranks of B-1battle droids. Caught unprepared, tightly packed, and in the open, the forces of the Galactic Republic cut down the Separatist forces like they were wheat in a field. The endless flow into Canterlot came to an abrupt halt as the slow machines struggled to reorient themselves to face this new foe. Cluster munitions tore apart entire platoons of droids at a time, littering the mountain road with their dead.

The Republic’s timely arrival had caught the Confederacy’s forces off guard, but they did not have things all their own way. Vulture droids swooped in to engage the Republic’s craft, hitting more than one of them while their attentions were focused on the ground. Nonetheless, the gunships swept much of the area before the shimmering shield clean before touching down. While Republic fighters engaged their droid counterparts in the air, a number of white-armored clone troopers spilled out of the gunships and pressed through the shield. The droids inside Canterlot were completely unprepared for a two-front engagement.

As the Republic’s forces fell on the invaders of her city from behind, Luna saw that at their head was a very familiar brown-haired man with a blue lightsaber.


“It would seem, general,” said Count Dooku in a level tone of voice. “That your declarations of victory were premature.”

Bah!” Grievous slammed his fist down onto the table beside the holoprojector, momentarily rattling the image. “This changes nothing! I haven’t yet begun to fight!” The cyborg whirled around and snapped orders at a battle droid. “You! Deploy all our reserves immediately! Every last soldier and tank! And you!” he whipped his head to face another droid. “I want twenty squadrons of Vulture droids in the skies above this city, and I want them now!”

“But sir, we don’t have twenty squadrons available! To deploy that many would require pulling them away from other fronts around the-”

“I don’t care!” Grievous snarled. “Get them here, and get them now!”

“Roger roger,” the droid answered, at once setting to implementing the cyborg’s orders.

“What are you thinking?” Dooku asked while the droids around the two were scurrying to obey their general. “Pulling the air cover from our forces across a broad front presents a danger to our objective.”

“Our objective is here,” Grievous retorted. “This is their capital. This is the heart of their nation. This is where their precious princesses reside. When we burn this place to the ground, we will have struck an irrecoverable blow to this wretched species.”

“Hmmm…” Dooku looked thoughtful.

“And besides,” Grievous continued. “Kenobi will be here. I know it. He would not pass up a chance to defend “innocents” from me. We will destroy him and these wretched equines in one swift stroke!” he clenched his powerful, six-fingered fist tightly.

“I see,” said Dooku. He smiled slightly. “Very well, general. You may proceed.”

Outside, the C-9979 landing craft were opening once more, this time to deploy the elite reserves of the Separatist Army. Thousands of B-2 super battle droids dropped from racks in orderly lines, standing at attention. B-X commando droids in their hundreds joined them shortly, as did rows of powerful AAT tanks and towering OG-9 homing spider droids. No longer the weak B-1s, these were the cream of the Confederacy’s forces on Equus, preserved by their cyborg general to strike a devastating and utterly final blow to the land that had sold him out to the Republic. Now the moment for that blow had at last arrived.

Grievous stalked towards the control room’s exit, shedding his cape and reaching for lightsabers. “I am going to go and end this battle, once and for all!”

To the cyborg’s surprise, he heard the footsteps of soft rancor leather boots following closely behind him.

“Yes general,” came the sound of Count Dooku’s voice. “Let us end this.”