• Published 14th Jan 2015
  • 7,690 Views, 313 Comments

Sunset Shimmer: The Mysterious Mare-Do-Well - Joeycrick



During one fateful Nightmare Night, a last-minute costume choice turns Princess Twilight's student into a hero.

  • ...
7
 313
 7,690

Chapter 1: Robbery in Manehattan

Dark, starry skies are looming over the city of Manehattan. The night is alive: couples are having fancy dinner dates, music is blaring loudly from the nightclubs, and in the park, The Great and Powerful Trixie is putting on a magnificent magic show.

And in a dark, secluded street several blocks away, a jewelry store is being robbed.

Two stallions dressed in black, a pegasus and a unicorn, are behind the register, attempting to crack open a safe and pillage the riches inside. Just outside the store, two earth ponies are keeping watch.

"Al...most... there..." the unicorn muttered as he jiggled the lockpick with his magic.

"Can ya hurry it up, Quick Change?" the pegasus nervously asked.

"Shut up, you know these things take time!" Quick quietly snapped back. "Unless you'd like to try it?" He fiddled around with the lockpicks a bit more, until...

*click!*

"Bingo." With a satisfied smirk, Quick Change grabbed the handle and pulled. The door swung open, revealing a large sack filled to the brim with glimmering gemstones. Quick chuckled, his smile growing ever wider. "We hit the jackpot, baby!"

He didn't notice the dark shadow or the two suddenly-unconscious lookouts behind him.

"Yeah yeah, we're rich, I get it," the pegasus stammered. "Can we go now?"

"You tryin' to ruin the moment or something?"

"No! It's just... you know that costumed pony who runs around at night beating up guys like us?"

"What, that Mare-Do-Well or whatever she's called? Pfft, just some urban legend."

"But what if she's real? I'd prefer not going hoof to hoof with her!"

"Come on, we could take her on no problem."

"You sure about that?" a third voice asked.

"Yeah, I'm VERY sure ab-" Quick froze. Oh crap. Somepony was behind him. He and the pegasus turned around, hoping it wasn't who they thought it was. Quick's eyes widened, and the pegasus's face went pale.

Standing in front of them was a mare costumed in a purple bodysuit with dark blue wrappings around her hooves. A dark blue cape flowed behind her, held in place by a brooch with the letter "M" monogrammed on it. On top of her head was a stylish wide-brimmed purple hat, and her face was covered by a dark blue mask with two light blue patches where the eyes should be. It gave the impression that she was glaring menacingly at them. "Hello, boys," she says coolly.

Quick Change was snapped out of his trance. "Wha- how-?!" he spat out, quickly glancing at the door and spotting his two unconscious guards.

The Mysterious Mare-Do-Well followed his gaze. "Oh, that. Now unless you want to wind up like those two, I suggest surrendering right now."

The two stallions stood straight up, the pegasus bashing his hooves together while Quick Change grabbed a nearby bat with his magic. "Get real!" he shouted.

"So we're doing this the hard way, eh?" Mare-Do-Well replied, crouching into a fighting stance. "Bring it."

The pegasus yelled and charged at her with his wings and hoof outstretched. The masked mare simply sidestepped and drove her forehoof into his side, causing him to spin and crash into the wall.

Quick Change approached slowly, taking a few practice swings with his bat. He launched an attack at Mare-Do-Well, who ducked the swing. She nimbly dodged and sidestepped the ones that followed, much to the stallion's irritation. The last swing, however, whiffed her hat and sent it flying off her head, revealing a horn underneath.

"Good job, you managed to get my hat," she remarked as her horn began to glow.

"A unicorn-?!" Quick barely had time to shout before Mare-Do-Well magically yanked the bat out of his grasp and slammed it against his legs. Shouting in pain, he collapsed, grabbing his broken legs with his forearms.

Behind her, the pegasus had recovered and was flying towards Mare-Do-Well, hoping he could punch her face in. She spun around and blocked the attack. He let loose with a couple more swings that were either blocked or dodged, before receiving a forehoof to the stomach. Mare-Do-Well spun around and delivered a solid buck with both her hind legs, sending the attacker headfirst into a display case where he lost consciousness.

Mare-Do-Well levitated her hat back onto her head, securing it in place. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Quick Change desperately trying to crawl away. The stallion gasped loudly when he saw the masked mare glaring at him, and started frantically clawing his way to the door. Her horn glowed, and she vanished.

Quick Change looked ahead and saw Mare-Do-Well standing over him. His eyes widened and he started panicking. Using her magic, the heroine lifted the stallion upside-down into the air, dangling him by one of his hind legs.

"And just where do you think you're going?" she asked mockingly.

"Why you little-!" Quick's horn began to glow, but before he could fight back, Mare-Do-Well flicked it with her hoof. His horn sparked as he lost his concentration and a sharp pain went through his forehead, causing him to cry out.

"Nice try, buddy."

"I... I ain't scared of ya!" he snapped back.

"Sure, that must be why you're sweating buckets right now," Mare-Do-Well replied, looking at the stallion's apparently-melting face.

Quick Change gulped. "J-just let me go... lemme go please!" he begged.

Mare-Do-Well raised a forehoof to her chin in mock thought. "Hmm... how about this: I knock you out, and when you wake up in a few minutes, you'll be shackled up by the Royal Guard, on your way to jail?"

"WHA-?!" was all Quick Change could get out before Mare-Do-Well struck him in the face and dropped him onto the sidewalk, where he lay motionless.

Her ears perked up. She could hear the whistles and bells signaling the arrival of the Royal Guard. Her horn glowing, she teleported onto a nearby rooftop, where guards and citizens were starting to gather below her. They looked up, seeing the masked hero with her cape fluttering in the breeze, and applause began to break out.

"Mare-Do-Well's done it again!" "Thank you so much, Mare-Do-Well!" "Can I get your autograph?!" "You rock, MDW!"

As the townsfolk cheered on, the Mysterious Mare-Do-Well, smiling widely underneath her mask, simply saluted before turning around and vanishing, running and leaping across the rooftops.


Princess Twilight Sparkle was sitting in her castle library, looking over some notes for an alchemy experiment. She heard a pop behind her, but she didn't need to turn around to figure out who it was.

"So... anything interesting happen tonight?" she asked Mare-Do-Well.

Mare-Do-Well tapped her hoof on the brooch bearing the "M" twice, and it began to glow, enveloping her entire body. A moment later, the costume vanished, revealing an amber unicorn underneath. She began shaking her red and yellow-streaked mane loose.

"Eh, just a few muggings and a robbery, nothing special," Sunset Shimmer replied.

Twilight nodded. "Good to hear. You really enjoy doing this, don't you?"

"Just seeing everypony smiling and safe makes it worthwhile." Sunset leaned forward, stretching her legs and groaning slightly. "Wow, I'm beat," she muttered. "Gonna head upstairs for some sleep. Later, Twilight."

"Good night, Sunset," Twilight said, not taking her eyes off her notes as Sunset left.

Sunset opened the door to her bedroom, levitating the enchanted pendant around her neck onto the nightstand before flopping onto the bed, not bothering to wrap herself up in blankets. Her eyes slowly closed shut as she drifted off into sleep.

Author's Note:

My first attempt at fan fiction! Let me know what you guys think, and how I can improve. I'm not entirely sure when the next chapter (which will cover how Sunset Shimmer became the Mysterious Mare-Do-Well) will come out, but I'll try to come up with something as soon as I can!