• Published 4th May 2012
  • 2,124 Views, 7 Comments

Once Upon a Derpy Day - CharmingChaos



Dinky Doo questions her mother's eyes, and Derpy teaches her a valuable lesson on family

  • ...
1
 7
 2,124

Mean Fillies

"Oh, don't you just feel so bad for Dinky?" Diamond Tiara's sarcastic voice makes its way all the way across the playground to me, making me huddle even farther into the corner.

"Totally. I heard that her mom got stuck in a mailbox yesterday. Again." Silver Spoon makes sure I hear every word, even across the playground. "I don't even think she cares about anything but muffins."

"Ugh, if I were Dinky, I would just die of embarrassment. I don't even want to know what she thinks of Derpy Hooves. I mean, how can anyone stand having a mom that wierd?"

I feel a tear trace down my cheek, and Twist comes over to my corner, awkwardly patting me on the head.

"It'th OK, Dinky. They'll thtop when they realithe how awesome and thpethial you are." Twist means well, but sometimes she just misses the point. "Want a thugar cube? They always cheer me right up."

"Thanks, Twist," I whisper as I take the sugar cube from her out-stretched hoof. "I think I'll go home early. I-I, um, I don't feel so good."

"Do you want me to walk you home?" Twist asks sympathetically.

I duck my head, embarrassed by how loud she's talking. "No thanks, Twist. I can get home on my own. Just tell Miss Cheerilee I had a stomach ache, OK?"

"OK. Bye Dinky Doo!" Twist yells after me. I end up running out of the playground. The eyes of the other ponies seem to stab into my flank as I run, fighting back tears, to the safety of my home.

I don't stop running until I've made it all the way to my bedroom. I don't want anyone to see me, not even my own mother, as I let loose my own recreation of Equestria's largest waterfall. Too many thoughts fly through my head. Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon's stabbing comments against my (admittedly slightly loopy, but still very sweet) mother echo through my mind, crossing out and covering up all other coherent thought. I roll onto my back and mull over what they said. What if they're right? I ask myself. What if all Mama cares about is muffins? What if she doesn't love me? A small quiet part of me insists that it can't be true, but the thought is buried under a thousand others, all dark and gloomy and full of sadness and heaviness. Mama always tells me that those silly fillies at school can't hurt me, that I have to stay strong, but what if she's wrong? They can hurt me, and they have. What if Mama is just a crazy old mailmare who doesn't know a pony from a pumpkin? What if she isn't even my Mama? Now my thoughts have gotten all tangled up, and new, impossible fears surface a dozen a minute. I know most of them are absolutely ridiculous, but it's too late to turn back now. I've burrowed myself deep into my little hole of self-pity, and there's no coming out now.

I glance at the clock on the wall. I don't think it's right, none of our clocks are, but it's worth a shot. Just then the clock in the Ponyville town square chimes 4 o'clock. 4 o'clock? that's like an hour after I usually get home from school, and Mama's usually home when I come back. I suddenly feel hungry, so I go to the kitchen to find a snack. A note is pinned onto the refrigerator.

Dear Dinky,
I have to spend some extra time at the weather factory because I accidentally spilled a bunch of mail in Rainbow Falls. I'll be bak for dinner.
hugs,
Mama

I sigh, wishing she would come home sooner. Oh, well. I open the fridge. Nothing but muffins, as usual. I take my usual chocolate chip one and nibble on it half-heartedly. I go back to my room and curl up on my bed, sulking.

-------------------