• Published 27th Jan 2015
  • 435 Views, 8 Comments

Sun and Moon Asunder - Mixer



1000 years after Equestria was split by cecession a single day may decide if the history books tell a story of war or peace.

  • ...
 8
 435

Shadows and Light

Princess Luna was sitting upon her silvery throne in the Duskdale palace. Standing before her were five ponies. At the head of the group was Eclipse, saddlebags draped over his sides. Standing just behind him was a dusky grey pegasus mare in a navy blue flight suit, her violet mane tied back in a long ponytail.

“Midnight, I trust you have your arrangements in order?” Princess Luna asked the head of the Shadow Bolts.

She nodded, “Yes, things will be taken care of while we are away.”

“Likewise,” said a large sage colored unicorn in a gravelly tone.

The princess nodded to him, “Very good Black Guard.” She then turned her gaze to a charcoal grey batpony whose ears were twitching at every sound. “Are you prepared Echo?”

Her ears both turned towards the princess as she nodded, “All of my personal affairs are in order. I am looking forward to seeing Ponyville and Castle Everfree.”

The batpony held a unique position as both the head of the royal archives but also of relations with Equestria. They were both tasks with which she performed with an unusual vigor.

Finally, Luna looked towards a filly who was sitting at the back of the group. “Wisp, are you ready?”

The young mare looked up at the princess, her coat was a light teal, bordering on white. Her mane and tail were a rusty brown with stark silver streaks running through them. She nodded, not saying anything, her light violet eyes meeting Luna’s.

“Well, if everypony is ready, then shall we be off?” Eclipse said, turning to the rest of the group.

“Yes, let’s get moving, the celebration is in three days,” Echo said.

“Take care,” Luna called to them as they exited the throne room and walked into the antechamber.

Guards closed the doors behind them as they exited the castle.

Midnight stretched her wings and flapped them lightly, lifting herself a few feet in the air. “If you don’t mind, I think I’ll head over to the train station.”

Eclipse shrugged, “Do whatever you want, you usually do.”

“We should stay together,” Black Guard said flatly.

Midnight scowled at the two of them and flew off in a huff.

“Why do you always insist on antagonizing her?” Black Guard asked his earth pony companion.

Eclipse smiled, “It’s fun to make her angry. She has such a cute little pout.”

“Oh!” Echo said, suddenly bolting upright. “I forgot something in my room. I’ll be right back.” She spread her wings and took off before anypony could argue.

“Hurry back!” Black Guard yelled after her. “Mares...”

Wisp looked slightly offended.

“Present company excluded,” he corrected.

Eclipse tried to stifle a laugh and failed miserably.

Wisp gave a smirk and gave a mock scoff, “Stallions.”

Eclipse stopped laughing and looked at the unicorn who was giving him the most serious look.

After a silence that seemed to last hours, both of them started laughing. Black Guard cracked a smile and rolled his eyes. “Are you two about done?”

--

Echo padded silently into the throne room from a side entrance and trotted up to the side of Luna’s throne.

“Did anypony suspect you?” the alicorn asked, not looking down at the batpony.

“No, Midnight went ahead to the train station and I told the others I forgot something.”

Princess Luna produced a small scroll with magic and placed it on the armrest of her throne. Echo picked up the scroll and read over its contents thoroughly. “You are to tell no one,” she said to the batpony as she scanned it.

Echo rolled up the scroll and tucked it under her wing, “Are you certain, Princess?”

The Princess of the night looked down at the batpony and met her eyes, “Yes, if anypony were to find out, everything may be ruined.”
Echo held her gaze for a moment and nodded.

“Now go, before you are missed.”

Echo nodded again and quickly made her way out of the throne room.

--

In Echo’s absence, the rest of the group had started walking towards the train station and were almost halfway there when she finally caught up with them.

“Jeez, Echo, what did you leave, your whole room?” Eclipse jibed.

She landed next to him and folded her wings, “No. If you must know, I brought a copy of the Abridged History of Equestria and Shadow Veil. I was hoping I could get it signed.”

“By who?” It was Wisp who asked this time.

“Well, since we are going to be Princess Celestia’s guests, I was hoping I could get her to sign it. And I’m sure they have an archivist at Castle Everfree that could sign it too,” she answered.

“Echo, tell me about Equestria,” Wisp asked.

Echo’s ears twitched, the question catching her off guard. “Don’t you read about it?”

“A little, but you’ve been there before, right?”

“Well yes, but not to Ponyville. This will be my first time seeing the capital myself,” Echo said.

“What’s it like? Do pony’s really worship the sun all day?”

Echo giggled, “No, silly filly. They work during the day just like most ponies here in Veil and sleep during the night.”

“But don’t they miss all the beautiful stars in the sky?”

“Some do, but there are many ponies who stay awake for part of the night. There are probably as many ponies who like the night as the day.”

“Really? Then why do most ponies not like Equestrians?” Wisp asked.

“Because they’re ignorant.” It was Eclipse that answered, his usual levity forgotten. “Most of them don’t know anything about us, so they’re afraid of us. They think we’re all boogeymen that hide in caves all day and come out at night to steal away foals in the night.”

Wisp looked at him with a look of shock and worry.

Eclipse’s serious tone shifted to his usual casual attitude. “But that’s only an old mare’s tail from a few hundred years ago.”

“The ponies in Ponyville are quite reasonable,” Echo said.

Wisp looked relieved.

As they continued walking, Black Guard sidled up to Eclipse. “What was that all about?” he whispered.

“Whatever do you mean?” Eclipse asked nonchalantly.

“You know what. Is there something you’re not telling me?”

Eclipse placed a hoof on Black Guard’s shoulder, “It’s nothing. It won’t cause any problems for us or our mission.”

Black Guard eyed him suspiciously. “Just make sure it doesn’t happen again.”

“Cross my heart and hope to fly.”

“That can be arranged if it does,” Black guard said, putting on some speed to catch up with Wisp and Echo who were walking a short way ahead of them.

“Let us hope it does not come to that,” Eclipse whispered.

Comments ( 6 )

i enjoyed this chapter hope to read more soon

How do they know that promise? :pinkiecrazy:

I wonder what Luna has planned.

i know i commented on this chapter before and i am sorry to bug you i was just wondering if by any chance you know when you might post next chapter :fluttershysad: i understand that life can get in the way and i don't want to rash you or anything i just asking if you don't know that is okay and take your time on making a grate chapter:twilightsmile:

5935503 Well, seeing as how finals are this week, I probably won't be able to get a chapter out until next week at the very earliest

5938778 oh okay thank you for letting me know

Login or register to comment