• Published 3rd Apr 2015
  • 533 Views, 7 Comments

The Republic - Iroh Legoman

  • ...
7
 7
 533

The Aggravation

After Nightmare Moon was defeated and the Lunar Princess was returned, peace and harmony was at its highest. Though some would think. Not long after the Lunar Princess' return, four threats returned: the return of Discord, the infiltration and invasion by Queen Chrysalis, the return of King Sombra, and the conquering by Tirek. This was the start of the underlying tension that brought forth the civil unrest.

With the rise of these 'villians' and their ability to defeat the Solar Princess made some ponies question her power; her power to protect and her power to rule. The Solar Princess, began to make many laws. These laws started as simple national security, but turned more radical. The Lunar Princess, with the help of her innocence from a thousand years away from the progressing society, notice a great change in her sister's behavior. She tried to convince her sister away from the path the Solar Princess was heading. The Solar Princess dismissed her sister's concerns stating that she did not know as much about the modern world, and these were necessary steps.

The Royal Guard was increased due to the new laws. Many new recruits poured in to the training camps. Those that were already trained were sent to the corners of Equestria and everywhere in between. Guards were also sent abroad to the overseas colonies. At first the guards where for the extra protection of the town, along with the local law enforcement. They were at first nice, treating the citizens with the utmost care. As time went by, the kind guards eventually dissolved into a force not to dealt with.

Though that the guard was increased, it was the Solar Guard that was increased. The Lunar Guard, for the most part, stayed the same, if not decreased. While the Solar Guard was out in Equestria, the Lunar Guard was given remedial tasks; cooking, maintenance, and all secluded to the training camps. Compared to the Solar Guard, they were under trained and unprepared. There was not that many that joined the Lunar Guard, those that were were treated poorly my their training peers.

With reports of Changlings coming in and that they were getting my daring in their operations, the Solar Princess decided that it was time find them. It was not that long before their lair were found. The Lunar Princess tried to stop the Solar Princess from her plans, and pleaded that the action was not necessary. The Solar Princess said it was necessary for the safety of of Her ponies.

The Solar Princess went ahead with the plans. She sent the Guard in take care of the changelings; not just the Solar Guard, but the Lunar Guard as well. The Lunar Guard was sent into the lair first, the Solar Guard was only sent in when it was mostly over. The under trained, unprepared, and ill equipped Lunar Guard, for the most part, was slaughtered. Only a fifth of the Lunar Guard survived, only about a few hundred; while the Solar Guard did not lose a single soldier. This did not make the lunar Princess happy.

The Changeling Queen was captured. As told by the newspapers, the Solar Guard went in and destroyed the 'evil' changelings, without a single loss, and that they were the ones who captured the Changeling Queen. The Solar Guard was welcomed back with a tremendous victory celebration. The Lunar Guard, or the remnants of it, was 'hushed-hushed' back to the training camps, with not even a mention of them. This made the Lunar Princess angry.

The Lunar Princess approached the Solar Princess demanding to know why that her guard was sent in, slaughtered, and not even a mention of them, while the Solar Guard was being praised. The Solar Princess apologized for the misunderstanding and that it will be fixed. The next day a report was made by the Solar Princess about the actions of the Lunar Guard. It was told that the Lunar Guard was full of corrupt and incompetent leaders, and they insisted that they go after the Changelings. They were denied, but they disobeyed orders. When the Solar Princess found out, she sent a Solar Guard unit after them. When the Solar Guard got there, it was too late and that the Lunar Guard had already started the fight. The fact of the guard being almost utterly destroyed was from them being under trained, unprepared, and ill equipped. When the Lunar Princess found out, she was furious. She stopped talking to the Solar Princess.

One night, while roaming the halls, she spotted her sister entering a door surrounded by guards. The Lunar Princess, though furious with her sister, thought this was odd. Normally guards guarded important doors, and most of them were on the upper levels on the castle. This was on a lower level, a very lower level, where most of the supplies were kept. The Lunar Princess decided to take a look. She approached the guards and faced them. The Guards said nothing. The Lunar Princess took a step forward. The guard immediately yelled 'halt'. The Lunar Princess was taken back for a moment at the guard telling her to stop. She took a another step and the guards crossed the door. The Lunar Princess demanded to enter, and the guards denied. She demanded to know why and they replied that the Solar Princess said to to let anyone in. The Lunar Princess huffed and walked away.

After a while, the Solar Princess exited and asked if anything was new. They replied that the Lunar Princess tried to enter. After hearing this, she nodded and walked away. The Lunar Princess saw all of this. With the Solar Princess gone, she turned into her signature 'mist' form. She floated by the the guards and into the room. There she saw the Changeling Queen, beaten. The Lunar Princess materialized, and scared the already frightened Queen. She assured her she means no harm and asked what happened. The Queen said that the Solar Princess had been torturing her for the location of the rest of the changeling hives. The Lunar Princess was in shock of what happened. The Queen told her that she was to be executed, but doesn't know when. This only surprised the Lunar Princess more. With that, she knew she had to do some thing.

After some thought in her tower, the Lunar Princess had a plan. Using her dream powers, she came as a shadow in their dreams with a tale of better time. Those the Solar Sister overlook, and that had lost the last vestige of hope. She also wrote letters to all the families that had lost their loved ones in the attack on the changelings. She wrote each one individually and told about what they in the battle. She gathered her leaders and told them of her plan. Overtime, more and more recruits had been requesting the Lunar Guard. This made the Solar Princess suspicious and limited their size to only a five hundred members, roughly half that of pre-changeling battle. The Lunar Princess had anticipated this and the plan went on.

Author's Note:

this was orignally going to be the prologue of the New Derby fic, but it got to long. This will still serve as the full prologue.

I have had thoughts of making a universe out of it: the Republic-verse? maybe