• Published 13th Feb 2015
  • 7,712 Views, 252 Comments

A Bright Little Shadow - Princess OtakuGeek



Life in Twilight's new castle becomes even more intresting as she becomes a mom.

  • ...
11
 252
 7,712

Hearthswarming

After some caroling and desserts, Spike reminded them of their gift exchange. So here they were, gathered in a semi-circle around the tree with their gifts and a fire burning warmly in the hearth. Twilight was the first to stand.

"Well, since this is my castle and I'm the host, I guess I should start." With that said, wrapped boxes were levitated in front of each of the recipients. Since this was Twilight, it was safe to guess what she'd gotten them. This was confirmed when they opened their gifts.

"Encyclopedia of Exotic Plants an' how ta Grow Them." Applejack read the cover of the book she'd unwrapped.

"Yup. I figured you'd find it offensive if I gave you a book on apple farming, so I got something that you'd appreciate more." Twilight explained.

"Huh. Well, that was mighty thoughtful of ya. Thanks." Applejack thanked.

"You're welcome," Twilight answered with a bright smile.

"Sketch pads! And pencils!" Rarity exclaimed as she held up a pack of the aforementioned pads.

"Yeah. Aside from fashion magazines or a book on the history of fashion, I couldn't figure out what to get you." Twilight explained. "So I just got something that you could draw your designs on."

"And I love them all. Thank you, darling." The unicorn thanked her friend.

"Ooohh! A set of dessert cookbooks." Pinkie Pie exclaimed before Twilight could reply. "I think there are some recipes I haven't made before in here! Thank you so much Twilight!" The pink pony thanked as she threw her arms around her friend's neck and squeezed tightly.

"No problem Pinkie." Twilight gasped out. "Could you please let go of me before I choke?"

"Sorry." Pinkie yelled as she jumped off her friend.

"Oh, my. It's a bundle of books." Fluttershy whispered.

"You've been telling me that you want to start an animal book club and these are a few books that I think are great for getting started." Twilight explained. "And if you need anything, just let me know."

"Oh thank you Twilight. I think these'll help a lot." Fluttershy said with a smile. Twilight returned it.

"Great. You know how much I love reading and I'm so happy that you're starting a book club." Twilight said gleefully. Her gleeful squeals were suddenly drowned out by Rainbow Dash's gasp.

"Is this a copy of the latest Daring Doo novel?" The pegasus asked as she lifted the book out of the wrapping paper.

"Fresh off the press and signed," Twilight replied and Dash squealed gleefully.

"Thank you thank you thank you!" Rainbow Dash said. "I put in an order for this two months ago and I'm not supposed to get my copy until after winter wrap up. How did you get this?"

"It was easy when I told AK Yearling it was for a certain pegasus," Twilight said. "She even signed it for me when I didn't even ask for her to do that. I just asked her for a copy of her book for you."

"Thanks again Twi." Rainbow Dash said. "And when my copy that I put an order for comes in, I'll give it to you."

"Thank you, Dash," Twilight said gratefully. "And I'm glad you like your present."

Spike hadn't opened his present right away because he didn't believe that he'd like another book like last year. But in the end, he unwrapped the box and lifted the lid. And he found himself more than mildly surprised. It was reading material, to be sure. But it wasn't the reading material he'd been expecting.

"Are these Power Ponies comics?" He asked as he pulled out the aforementioned comic books to get a good look at them and was surprised even more. "Wait, are some of these first editions? How did you find all these?"

"Well its an interesting story." Twilight started. "Remember when I went to Canterlot to wish my parents Happy Hearthswarming? Well, while I was there I visited that comic-book shop that you love to get you some comics. I got you some of the newest copies there. Then after I left the store, I actually ran into Celestia."

"You ran into Celestia?" Spike asked a little skeptically.

"I know, I almost don't believe it either," Twilight said. "Plus I didn't recognize her at first because she had disguised herself as a unicorn. After she proved to me that she was indeed my mentor she explained to me that sometimes when the court and Royal duties become too stressful she disguises herself as an ordinary pony so she can have a relaxing walk through Canterlot without ponies flocking to her."

"Huh. That actually explains a few things. Continue." Spike said.

"Well anyways, we talked a bit you know." Twilight continued. "She asked how I'd been since I don't send letters all that often. She also asked how you were doing and how Sombra was doing. Then she asked why I was buying comic books and I told her about our Gift Exchange and explained that it was for you. She smiled and then summoned this stack of comics and gave them to me. She said that she wasn't reading them anymore and that it would be a waste for them to collect dust in a storeroom. Anyways, she said to tell you they were from her and sends a Happy Hearthswarming to you."

"Wow. Well, thank you, Twilight." Spike said. "And I should make sure to send a thank you letter to Celestia too."

"She also told me that she liked the idea of a Gift Exchange and that she'd try it herself," Twilight said. "She also said that someday it will catch on."

"Sounds cool," Rainbow said. Sombra was the last to show his present.

"A Beginners Guide to the Basics of Magic." He announced as he held up a somewhat thin and colorful book. The way it was illustrated was much like a children's book but when he flipped through the pages he found that while the writing wasn't too technical and complicated, but at the same time it wasn't condescending. Moving back to the present, Twilight grinned.

"Yep. I've noticed however since your magic surge in Canterlot, you haven't actually used your magic." Twilight said. "So I thought it was a good idea to get you something to help you out."

"Oh. Thank you, Twilight." Sombra thanked her with a smile.

"You're welcome," Twilight replied.

"Well, Ah guess it's my turn." Applejack announced as the paper from Twilight's gifts was tossed. When everyone settled back into their seat, the farmpony passed out her gifts.

"A book on apple farming," Twilight said when she opened her gift.

"Eeyup'." Applejack replied. "Now while Ah would have some problems with you giving me a guide ta how to grow my crop, Ah don't see any problem with given' you a book on apples. An' check this out." She leaned forward to point at the bottom of the book where the author's name was. "It was written by an Apple. My cousin to be exact. It's the first thing she ever published and while she might not be at the top of the bestsellers list, she still a good author."

"Well thank you for the book," Twilight said. "And maybe later, I'll check out what else she's written."

"Ah reckon she'd like that." Applejack said with a tip of her hat. Rarity's package was small and when she removed the paper, she revealed a small jewelry box. And when she opened that she found a locket that was decorated with, what else, an apple motif.

"Oh, my Applejack. What a lovely locket." Rarity said as she lifted it out and placed it around her neck.

"Yup. Ah know it's not as shiny or fancy as all your other jewelry, but Ah figured you'd like it." Applejack answered.

"Oh Applejack, even though I do enjoy a little glamour-" everyone except Spike and Sombra raised their eyebrows at that as though saying 'really'. Rarity continued without interruption. "-doesn't mean that I can't enjoy the simple designs. When done right, simplicity can look glamorous."

"Glad you like it." AJ nodded.

"Ooooohh! Pie tins and cookie sheets!" Pinkie exclaimed as she waved the items in question in the air. "Thanks so much, AJ!" She thanked, refraining from glomping onto the orange earth pony.

"Yer welcome Pinkie." Applejack said.

"Oh, my. It's a new birdhouse." Fluttershy whispered. "Thank you very much."

"Yer welcome."

"An alarm clock? Really AJ?" Rainbow asked the farmpony as she held up the clock in question. Applejack sent her friend a deadpan look.

"How many times have Ah asked you ta help an' you were late because you over napped?" AJ asked flatly. Dash groaned.

"Fair point." Rainbow sighed then turned to Spike. "So what'd you get Spike?"

"A plush dragon. Cool! Thanks, AJ!" Spike thanked then turned to Sombra. "And what about you buddy?"

"I got a quilt." He said then threw it over himself. "And it's so warm. Thanks!"

"Yer welcome kiddo." Applejack said pleasantly.

✴✴✴✴✴✴

It was in this pattern that gifts were exchanged. After Applejack, it was Rarity's turn. For Twilight it was a simple yet elegant dress that was, quote-unquote, 'fit for a princess while at the same time was something that you would want to wear'. Applejack received some apple-scented shampoo and conditioner with similarly apple themed mane ties, clips, bands, ribbons, and even combs. This, of course, led to a 'discussion' about proper mane care. Thankfully it didn't get too heated.

Fluttershy also received similar mane care products, although her's was scented like a flower field and there was slightly more emphasis on the mane bands, clips, and combs. Rarity said that she thought that Fluttershy had a beautiful mane and that she should put it up more often. Fluttershy's reply was, of course, a whispered apology and a statement that she didn't really feel comfortable with that. Rarity accepted that and didn't press the issue.

For Pinkie Pie, it was a pink apron with her cutie mark on the front. Rainbow Dash received a flag with the Wonderbolts insignia on it to hang in her bedroom and Spike got a package of assorted gems. Sombra's gift was a necklace that resembled Princess Celestia's only it was darker and had a large jet gem. There were four smaller collars that were studded with their own stones. Onyx, moonstone, tiger's eye, and smokey quartz. It wasn't very hard to figure out who these were meant for. As Rarity helped him and the ferrets fit the collars on, she told them that she would love to design some outfits for him and the ferrets and requested that they visit her so she could take some measurements.

Pinkie Pie's gifts came next. For Twilight there was a lamp for late night studying. Applejack received an apple peeler and corer since theirs had broken a while back. Nopony was sure how she knew that since Applejack had never mentioned it. Rarity got all types of sewing thread in every available color. Nobody knew how she got all those spools to fit in that box and Twilight set it aside so she could scan it for any kind of magic signature.

When Fluttershy opened her gift, she found scented candles for quiet relaxing. And for Rainbow Dash, it was a collectors edition, Wonderbolt pair of goggles. Twilight was certain that one or two windows had at least cracked when Dash's squeals filled the castle. When Spike unwrapped his present, he found a cabinet designed for storing and displaying his comics. At that point, Twilight gave up on Pinkie Pie gift logic. Fortunately, the next gift was a little simpler. For Sombra, he received a framed picture of all of them together. So he could have a picture of his family. The little colt thanked her with a hug.

Fluttershy's gift for all of them were plushies of their pets. While Rainbow Dash tried to hide it, they could tell that she was happy to be able to hug Tank even when he wasn't home. And while Spike didn't have a pet of his own, he did receive a plushie of Peewee the Phoenix. Finally, Rainbow Dash took a turn.

✴✴✴✴✴✴

Twilight lifted the lid of the box from Rainbow that she'd unwrapped. Sitting inside was a compass. "A compass?" She asked as she lifted it out of the box.

"Yeah. Like the one Daring Doo uses in her books." Dash explained. "You did introduce me to the series and you may be, probably, kinda be as big a fan as I am."

Twilight rolled her eyes with a smile. "Well, it's a very thoughtful gift Dash." She said. "Thank you."

"You got me some horseshoes?" Applejack asked as she held up the shoes in question.

"For playing horseshoes," Rainbow said. "Next time, I'm going to win."

"In yer dreams, maybe." Applejack retorted with a confident smirk. Fortunately, Rarity interrupted before they could start.

"A rock?! Rainbow Dash, what are you thinking?" Rarity shot her friend a look as she levitated the rock out of its box. Rainbow Dash fought down a snicker.

"It's not just any rock." She said with a grin. "This is something called a geode. You have to crack it open to get some not very precious but still pretty jewels. It's like Tom only this time there's actually something." At that point, she lost control and dropped to the ground in a fit of giggles while Rarity frowned at her friend.

"I thought we agreed to never speak of that again!" She exclaimed then smiled slightly for a second. "However, I would be remiss if I were offended by that so haha, very funny. And thank you for the rock."

"You got me a squeaky bunny?" Fluttershy asked as she squeezed it between her hooves.

"Yeah. I figured your dogs would enjoy playing with it." The other pegasus said with a small smirk.

"Oh. Well, thank you for getting such a thoughtful gift for them. I'm sure they'll enjoy it." Fluttershy said, completely missing the subtext.

"A prank bag!? Awesome!" Pinkie shouted out as she held up her bag then she tackled the blue pegasus out of the air. "Thanks, Dashie!"

"You're......welcome Pinkie." Rainbow choked out. "Thought it would be.....useful for when we go pranking. You can let me go now by the way."

As Rainbow Dash gasped for air after she was released, Spike lifted a very familiar mask from its bag. "Dash? Is this a Humdrum mask?" He asked.

"With cape, gloves, belt, and boots," Rainbow said proudly as he pulled out the rest. "I don't care how you feel about that character, you're still the best Humdrum ever."

"Aw, gee thanks," Spike said bashfully then turned to Sombra who'd just pulled out a music box. It was carved out of rosewood and beautifully decorated with swirling carvings and the image of a candle on the lid. There was a hoof crank on the side to wind it up and when he opened it there was a little bronze model of Twilight sitting down and holding him close in her forelegs with her wings spread and cupping the two of them in an embrace. As Sombra lifted the lid and studied this little statuette, a few notes plinked sluggishly before stopping.

"It's a box with me and Twilight in it and it plays music," Sombra spoke with fascination in his voice and Rainbow fidgeted embarrassedly.

"Uh, yeah, close enough." She said and she flew over to land beside him. "It's actually called a music box and it works like this. First, you close the lid." She then closed the lid gently and placed a hoof on the crank. "Then you turn this until you can't turn it anymore." She wound up the crank until it started to resist and there was a clicking sound. "Then you lift the lid back up to listen."

Rainbow Dash lifted the lid and the gentle, twinkling notes of a song poured out as the figure inside spun slowly. As he listened to the song, a spark of recognition lit up his face.

"It's the lullaby!" He cried out in wonder. "Twilight! Twilight! Listen! It's the lullaby you sing to me!"

Rainbow scratched the back of her neck. "Yeah, I figured it would be cool for Twilight to have something to sing to or you could listen to that on nights when Twilight isn't able to sing."

Sombra threw himself at the now airborne pegasus and ended up hanging off her neck. "I love it! I love it I love it I love it! Thank you, Auntie Dash!"

"Uh, you'rewelcome!" The pegasus blurted out then cleared her throat as she pulled him off her neck and set him back on the ground. "So uh Spike, I think it's your turn."

Spike grinned mischievously but didn't say anything about the now-closed music box. Instead, he started passing out the last of the gifts.

"Actually, Sombra and I decided to mostly share gifts."

"Mostly?" Applejack asked as she started tearing the wrapping paper.

"Well, we couldn't share what gifts we were giving to each other." Spike elaborated.

"Ahh," Twilight said in understanding then looked down to see what she'd gotten. Amongst torn paper and string was a toy Masked Matter-Horn and a folded piece of paper. Setting aside the toy for a minute, she unfolded the paper to reveal a picture of her surrounded by books wrapped in her magic. While it wasn't very professional and in fact had childish charm evident in it, she had to admit that it looked better than any child's drawing she'd ever seen.

"The toys from me and Sombra was the one who drew the portrait," Spike explained.

The others had gifts that followed the same trend. Applejack had Mistress Marevollous and portrait of her amongst her apple trees. Rarity was Radiance and her with gems. Pinkie grinned at her own toy of Filly Second along with a portrait of her making cupcakes. Fluttershy smiled softly at the toy of Saddle Rager and her frolicking with her animals amongst butterflies. Rainbow Dash thought the model of Zapp was pretty cool and the portrait of her performing a sonic rainboom was awesome.

With those gifts given and unwrapped, Spike passed a package to Sombra while Sombra did the same. The six mares watched from their seats as the boys unwrapped their gifts.

"It's a little figurine of me!" Sombra announced with a smile as he held up a small, somewhat roughly carved grey and black figurine with a bouncy head. Spike grinned proudly.

"Yup! I made a bunch of these at the Summer Wrap Up festival and made a killing." Spike said. "Of course I've gotten better since then and this is my best work."

"Thanks, Spike! It's wonderful!" Sombra said. Spike nodded and turned back to his gift. He pulled off the last of his wrapping paper and held it up.

"Whoa, this is an awesome portrait." He said, admiring the childish yet somehow somewhat professional style. "Thanks, big guy."

Sombra laughed. "You're welcome and I'm not that big." Spike cracked a grin as he reached over to ruffle his brother's mane.

"Someday you'll understand." He said softly.

✴✴✴✴✴✴

With the feast eaten, the dolls hung and the gifts exchanged, there wasn't really any reason to stay awake. Since everyone was sleeping over at the castle, guest rooms were prepared. Applejack, Rarity, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash and Twilight all slept in a bed. Pinkie Pie, Spike, and Sombra, however, remained downstairs in the living room waiting for the Wind Giver.

"Alrighty troops, now that it's dark out, it's then opportune time for the Wind Giver to strike!" Pinkie said in her best general voice. "And until that time comes we shall remain awake even if it takes us all night!"

The trio had set up three sleeping bags with pillows and blankets in the living room so they could be warm. Sombra sat on his sleeping bag with his new quilt wrapped around him. His music box sat beside him and his plush ferrets were on his pillow. Three of his real ferrets were tucked into the quilt with him while the fourth, Onyx, was resting on his head in his mane. Ever since they'd first met, she'd claimed that spot as her own. In any case, when Pinkie made her declaration, his eyes widened and he lifted his quilt so there was a good for both him and Onyx.

"All night?" He asked. "We're going to be staying up all night?"

"Well of course!" She answered. "How else do you think we're going to spot the Giver?"

"Well isn't it a bit dark and cold out?" Sombra asked. "And aren't you tired? It's been a busy day."

"Tired? Why would I be tired?" Pinkie asked with enthusiasm. "It's Hearthswarming Eve and almost Hearthswarming! Why would I sleep? Mark my words Li'l Sombry, we shall not rest until we have laid eyes on the Wind Giver!"

✴✴✴Half an Hour Later✴✴✴

Despite her encouraging words, Pinkie Pie was now curled up in her sleeping bag snoring loudly as she hugged her Gummy plushie tightly. Spike looked on at the scene with a deadpan look then sighed.

"Well, that's a new record," Spike said. "I tell you kid unless she's partying, she's out faster than a light."

Sombra nodded and they sat there in quiet. "So, are we staying up?" He asked.

"Well, that's really optional," Spike said. "You don't have to stay up if you're tired. Me, I'm going to be staying up a little longer before tucking in."

"Then I'd like to stay up with you too," Sombra answered as he leaned into him. For a time they sat in the quiet stillness of the night. The only thing lighting up the darkness were the lights of the Hearthswarming tree which cast the room into a multicolored glow like stars.

"The Hearthswarming tree always looks the best at night with the lights on." Spike finally said quietly so as not to interrupt this soft moment. "And on Hearthswarming Eve, it just feels more magical than anything I've seen. That's why I savor moments like this."

Sombra simply nodded agreement and they lapsed into silence once more. After some time, the quiet was broken once more. This time it was Sombra who spoke.

"Spike, what's a mom and dad?" He asked. Spike took a moment to roll that question around his head before letting out a long breath.

"A mom and a dad are an important part of any family." He began explaining. "Together they're called parents and they're the ones who take care of you. Aside from meals and clothes, they're always there for you to yeah, guide, comfort and protect."

"So if moms and dads do the same thing, why are there separate words for them?" Sombra observed.

"Well, I don't know about terminology or whatever it's called. But I do know that moms are girls and dads are boys."

"Ooohhh," Sombra said and quietly mulled over this information. "So, does that mean that Twilight's my mom?"

Once again, Spike took in a breath and let it out. 'Well, this was coming someday.' He thought then answered the question.

"Well, that all depends."

"On what?" Sombra asked.

"On Twilight. Technically speaking, she is your legal guardian, so she takes care of you. But the choice to become your mom is entirely her's."

"Oh." Sombra sighed and Spike pulled him closer.

"Hey now, don't worry." He soothed. "She'll come around someday. One day, she'll tell that it's okay to call her mom."

"I'd like that a lot," Sombra said. "She's a great mom."

"Yes, she is." Spike agreed. "And I would know because she takes care of me too. She's a great mom. Even if she doesn't know it."

The two hummed agreement and sat quietly for a little longer.

"So what about my dad?" Sombra asked. "If Twilight's my mom, then who is my dad?" If Spike had been drinking anything at that moment, he would've to spit it out. But he could've sworn he heard a muffled snicker. But then again, that could've been his imagination.

"Kid, why don't we focus on one parental figure at a time?" Spike said with a small humorous grin and Sombra cocked his head in curiosity.

"I mean let's just work with mom for now." He elaborated.

"Okay!" Sombra said with a bright innocent grin before he yawned. Spike smiled and laid a claw on top of the colt's head and Onyx, who'd fallen asleep at some point.

"Well it's getting late and we don't want to be too tired to enjoy Hearthswarming, now do we?" He asked. Sombra shook his head.

"No, we don't." He replied. With a bit of maneuvering and rearranging four fast asleep ferrets, Sombra was now tucked in his sleeping bag and piled with blankets.

"Here, let me wind up your music box." Spike turned the crank until it was ready then opened the lid. As the music played, Sombra stared at the spinning figured of him and Twilight and thought of her as his mom.

'Someday.' He thought tiredly as he drifted off to sleep. 'Someday I'll have a mom and maybe a dad. Someday.'

✴✴✴✴✴✴

Waking up was a sudden jolt that disoriented Sombra at first. Blinking sleep from his eyes, he could see that it was still dark out and the lights on the tree were still bright. He could hear the snores of Auntie Pinkie and Spike but something felt different. Like there was someone else there. Then he turned his head and saw it. Standing directly in front of his sleeping bag just a few feet away was a very tall pony made of mist. He couldn't make out any distinguishing features, he couldn't even see her back half, but he could see her coat color was pale yellow with swirls of pink that traveled around her body. Everything else was covered by a red hooded cloak with a white trim but he could tell that she had glowing eyes that stared down at him.

And yet, even though he gazing at a mist pony that he didn't know, he didn't feel scared at all. In fact, something about this mare felt comforting, yet he couldn't place a hoof on why that was. He simply sat there staring her down.

"Are you the Wind Giver?" He finally asked and there were several high pitched gusts of wind that sounded like melodic whinnies. Yet somehow, he could understand what they meant. This entity was laughing kindly and some part of him felt warm.

A movement brought his gaze down and he watched as a hoof made of golden mist slid a similarly misty box near his pillow. The box was bright red and tied with white ribbon. But when the hoof lifted from the box, it appeared to become solid. It was shortly confirmed to be solid when he touched it and it felt normal. Sombra was surprised yet not entirely. One glance at the tag confirmed who it was for.

"This is for me?" He asked as he looked up and the mist pony nodded. Then a gust of wind forced Sombra to shield his eyes from it but he could vaguely see the pony dissipate and vanish. The next moment, there was the feeling of a gentle touch like a kiss on his forehead. Then the wind was gone, leaving Sombra to wonder at what he'd seen and what just happened.

✴✴✴✴✴✴

"Sombry! Sombry! Wake up! Wake up! The Giver came!" Sombra started awake at Auntie Pinkie's excited voice. The pink mare was bouncing around the tree that now had gifts piled around it. As Auntie Applejack entered the room, Sombra's thoughts turned to last night and he couldn't help but wonder if it was all simply a dream seeing that mare. Then his gaze landed on the red box still where he remembered it had been placed last night. It wasn't a dream.

"Hey, kiddo. You alright?" Auntie Applejack asked, startling him from his thoughts. He nodded.

"Uh-huh. I'm fine. Just thinking." He replied. Applejack stared at him for a bit before she nodded in satisfaction.

"Well Ah ain't gonna ask what you were thinking about." She said. "If you want to tell me, you will." As she looked back up, her face went from gentle to firm. "Pinkie Pie, put that down!" She said loudly as she walked forwards. "Well, all agreed we'd open presents AFTER the Flag Raising ceremony."

"Awww! But I want to know what I got!" Pinkie protested as the farmer removed the present from her hooves.

✴✴✴✴✴✴

With pole and flag at hoof, everyone ventured outside for the flag raising ceremony. After being denied presents, Pinkie had run to rouse everyone from their sleep. Soon, four groggy mares were shuffling outside in the early morning cold to raise the flag. Applejack cleared a spot in the snow and began planting the flagpole. When she woke fully, Rainbow Dash came over to help. With the flagpole solidly in the ground, they began pulling the flag up until it reached the top. Just as it had been secured, the sun peeked over the horizon, pouring its golden light across the earth. Hearthswarming was officially here and as bells began to ring in celebration, Sombra started to sing.

Life is full of sweet surprises
Every day's a gift
The sun comes up, and I can feel it lift my spirit
Fills me up with laughter, fills me up with song
I look into the eyes of love and know that I belong

Bless us all, who gather here
(With Pinkie) the loving family I hold dear
(With Spike) no place on earth compares with home
And every path will bring me back from where I roam

As Pinkie and Spike joined the colt, they gestured to the others to sing. Not knowing what this song was, the other mares simply followed what was being sung yet somehow, it worked.

(All) bless us all, that as we live
We always comfort and forgive
(With Spike) we have so much, that we can share
(Sombra) with those in need, we see around us everywhere

Let us always (all) love each other
(Sombra) lead us to the light
Let us hear the voice of reason, singing in the night
(Spike) let us run from anger (Pinkie) and catch us when we fall
(Sombra) teach us in our dreams and please, yes, please
(All) bless us one and all

(Sombra) bless us all with playful years
With noisy games and joyful tears
(All) we reach for you and we stand tall
(Spike) and in our prayers and dreams
We ask you bless us all

(Sombra) we reach for you and we stand tall
And in our prayers and dreams, we ask you
Bless us all

As the song concluded, Rarity reached over and patted Sombra on the back.

"That was a very lovely song." She said. "Where did you hear it from?"

"Auntie Pinkie taught me!" Sombra said with a smile. "Auntie Pinkie has been teaching me and Spike some cool songs. I liked this one a lot and I felt like singing it right then. Just, felt right."

"And where did Pinkie learn that song?" Twilight asked.

"Oh, I just learned it from a friend." She said.

Thanks, Pinkie.

"You're welcome!" She said, once again confusing her friends. Rainbow shook her head a decided to just move on. After all, 'Pinkie will be Pinkie' and all that.

"Well, I don't really care where it came from." She said. "I'm more curious as to who we're asking to 'bless us all'."

Pinkie shrugged. "I dunno. Maybe Bonnie and Faust."

"Makes sense." Applejack said with a shrug.

"Yeah, so can we open presents now?" Pinkie now assumed a begging position.

✴✴✴✴✴✴

After coming in, Pinkie made a beeline for the tree in an instant. By the time they caught up with her, she was at the tree shaking a gift so fast it was vibrating.

"Whatisitwhatisitwhatisit!" She said excitedly.

"Geez Pinkie, slow down. It's a wonder you haven't broken it yet." Rainbow said jokingly and Pinkie ceased her shaking and smiled at her friend

"Oh don't worry, I haven't broken a present yet." She said. She then set the box down and bounced over to Sombra. "Why don't you open the first present. Which one do you want to open first?"

Sombra reached over and pulled his red and white box towards himself. "I'll open this one first." He said.

"Ooooh! Such a pretty ribbon." Pinkie said as Sombra pulled the bow out with a single yank. With its wrappings undone, he lifted the lid the reveal what was inside. There neatly folded in the box was a bright red hooded cloak with a white fluffy trim and swirling patterns embroidered along the edges in gold thread. The clasp was made of copper and studded a large crystal gem that Twilight didn't recognize. It was a deep red like a ruby but it had a slightly frosted appearance.

"Whoa!" Sombra exclaimed as he pulled it out then draped it across his back and fastened it. "This feels so soft and warm."

"Wow, this all looks hoof stitched," Twilight said as she lifted the hem up to examine. "Which makes no sense because these designs are more elaborate and detailed than I've ever seen before. Even done by a horn. And this fabric, I've never seen this type of fabric before and I don't even know what kind of crystal that-" Twilight was suddenly cut off by Applejack's hoof on her back.

"Sugarcube, before you go into full-fledged research mode, why don't ya take a deep breath and relax." Applejack said calmly. Doing as her friend suggested, Twilight did her breathing exercises until she was calm. AJ nodded. "Better?"

"Yes." Twilight then turned to where Sombra was showing his cloak off to Rarity and immediately zeroed in on the cloak. "But know what I can about that cloak. What fabric is that and what is it made of? What kind of crystal is that? Is it enchanted? What can it-"

"Now slow down Sugarcube." Applejack directed her friend's gaze back towards her. "Ah know you want ta find out what you can about the cloak, but I think you're forgetting a little detail. That cloak ain't yours. Remember, its something that the Giver gave to him and from the looks of it, he likes it."

Twilight turned back to Sombra who was now with Pinkie Pie sorting through presents and whimpered. "But.....sciiiieeence!" Her tone was almost whiny.

"Twilight darling, I have doubt that Sombra would let you see his cloak." Rarity added and Twilight's eyes lit up. But before she could go ask, the unicorn continued. "But its Hearthswarming. The cloak isn't going anywhere so I'm sure that your studies can wait until tomorrow at least."

"She's right. It's a holiday, so let's just have fun today." Applejack said. "Jus' let it be until tomorrow."

Twilight did her breathing exercises a few more times before answering. "Okay. I'll leave it be until after the holidays."

"Atta girl." Applejack said with a pat on her back. "Now let's open some presents."

"Twilight! Twilight!" Sombra called out at that moment as he bounced towards her. "Look! This one's for you!"

Twilight stared down at the box for a second before her gaze traveled to the colt, still wearing his cloak, holding it towards her. Her eye momentarily twitched. This was going to be a long day.

✴✴✴✴✴✴

The day went by quickly, depending on who you ask. After unwrapping presents, the morning was spent eating breakfast and in the case of the kids, playing with them. The boys were figuring how to use their gifts with the help of the adults. In the afternoon, they went outside to play in the snow and Twilight made a note of the cloak's apparent waterproof properties. When they got cold and hungry, they returned inside and enjoyed reheated leftovers for lunch. At some point in the day, Applejack had left because she had chores to attend to on the farm. Now it was getting late and everyone was relaxing in the castle.

"This was the best Hearthswarming ever." Pinkie sighed.

"Yeah, it was." Sombra agreed. "I can't wait until next year."

"Well, Ah better pack up and get back ta the farm." Applejack said as she stood up. "Better make sure everything is ready for when my family comes home."

"Okay. Be safe Auntie Applejack." Sombra said as he shifted to his side then froze when he heard the sound of paper crunching. The other mares and dragon in the room similarly froze and turned to him. Sombra pushed himself up and felt his cloak. It didn't take him long to locate the pocket in the lining. He pulled out of this pocket a slightly crumpled slip of paper and unfolded it.

Everyone peered over his shoulder as he smoothed it out on the table but nobody could understand it. It was all glypes they couldn't understand and some swirls. Sombra cocked his head in confusion.

"Twilight, what does it mean by that?" He asked.

"It's not any language I'm famil- wait, what do you mean why you say 'that'?" She asked when his entire sentence registered.

"I don't understand what it means when it says what it says," Sombra replied.

"Wait, you can understand this?" Rainbow asked.

Sombra shrugged. "It's all perfectly clear what it says. I just don't understand what it means."

"Odd. We can't understand it, but you can. Maybe..." Twilight trailed off then her horn lit up with a scanning spell that came up clean. "Nothing. For a minute I thought it had been enchanted so only Sombra could read, but there isn't even a spell on it. It's a completely normal piece of paper and ink."

"Maybe it has something to do with his past life," Fluttershy whispered in Twilight's ear so Sombra couldn't hear. Twilight rubbed her chin in thought.

"It's possible. Sombra, since we can't read it can you tell us what it says?" Twilight asked. Sombra's head bobbed in response.

"Sure Twilight." He said then turned to the message. "It says 'come find us someday'."

"'Come find us someday'?" Twilight wondered. "What does that mean?"

"That's what I'm asking," Sombra said.

✴✴✴✴✴✴

"Well, I had fun." Rainbow Dash said as she pulled on her warm clothes. The cyan pegasus was the last one to leave. By now it was dark out and a gentle snowfall had started.

"The feast was delicious and I enjoyed the gift exchange." Rainbow continued. "And that mystery at the end was cool. Anyways, you take care kiddo and I'll see you tomorrow."

"See you tomorrow too," Sombra said. "Fly safe!"

"C'mon, it's you're Auntie Dash you're talking to. Have I ever been known to fly safely?" She asked and Sombra giggled. Dash smiled and set her hoof on his head. She'd ruffle his mane, but from the look, Onyx was giving her, she decided against it. "Anyways, don't worry about me kid. In weather like this, it's always a good idea to be safe in the sky. See you around kid."

And with that, she took off. There was one thing Dash loved about flying that she would never admit out loud. The view. The view from the sky was the best view she could think of and as she flew, she could help but take in the sights. Amidst snowflakes and snow which shone silver in the moonlight and starlight, Ponyville looked beautiful. The decorations were still there and since it was night, most folks had their Hearthswarming lights on. Some were still awake and had their house lights on and when she flew past a few houses, she could hear folks singing carols. When she reached her cloud home, she paused to admire the view of Ponyville from above and smiled.

'Happy Hearthswarming Ponyville.' She thought then directed her attention towards a certain castle that seemed to glow. 'And Happy Hearthswarming to you Sombra. Someday, maybe in the near future, you'll get a mom.'

She remembered last night how when she'd woken up to sneak a snack or two from the kitchen, she happened to overhear a certain conversation between him and Spike. She'd almost given herself away when Sombra asked about his dad. Knowing Twilight, it wouldn't be for a while before she started dating. But who knows, maybe someday she'll find that very special somepony.

With thoughts of Twilight's love life in her mind, Rainbow Dash unlocked her door and entered her house, then shut the door behind her. It had been another great holiday and she looked forward to next year.

Author's Note:

Merry Christmas! I finally got these chapters finished! I hope you enjoyed this Christmas special and I wish you all Happy Holidays. Anyways, yes the cloak and Wind Giver is a set up for later chapters but that won't come until much MUCH later. Thank you all for favoriting and liking this story and I hope you continue to enjoy later chapters.

Happy Holidays from darkponDJ!