• Published 5th Feb 2015
  • 6,201 Views, 185 Comments

Never Meant to Be - Priceless911



Zeil an injured changling takes the form of a zebra in hopes of receaving first aid from the enchantress of the everfree forest. However, he starts developing feelings for her and wonders, Can a changling love? and if so, will she return his love?

  • ...
13
 185
 6,201

Ch1 I Am Wounded

Prologue
I Am Changeling

The lone Royal guard made his way through the massive rocky gorge that sat just outside Equestria’s borders. With no expression on his face that could show any signs of emotions, the royal guard stopped in the middle of the gorge and stood still as if he were waiting on something. Almost immediately, a swarm of changelings flew out of hidden holes in the rocky landscape as they swarmed around the lone stallion like bees around a hive. With no expression of concern on the stallion’s face, the royal guard stood still while looking forward, as the swarming changelings began landing one after another until all of them where standing around the lone pony as they watched him and his expressionless stare.

With the sound of buzzing coming to a complete stop, the surrounding changelings and the lone guard shared a brief moment of silence; until Queen Chrysalis, the queen of the changelings flew out from the hole in the cliff side as she landed in front of the guard. Seeing the large changing standing in front of him, the lone guard bowed in respect as she smiled, “Report!”

The guard rose from his bow as he turned into a changeling and replied, “It’s as we expected your majesty. Captain Shining Armor and Princess Mi Amora Cadenza are to be married within the following week.”

Queen Chrysalis smiled as she replied, “Excellent, Have you determined a time and place for us to meet?”

The changeling nodded his head, “Yes, every Sunday at about one in the afternoon, the princess along with two guards likes to take a stroll through the Canterlot garden. I happily volunteered as one of the guards, but I'm afraid my partner in this task will meet with an… unfortunate accident prior to this mission. So I believe this will be the best time to make the switch your majesty, I have also discovered a cave below the castle that can be used as a hiding place for the princess, at least… until after we take the kingdom.”

Queen Chrysalis smiled, “Well done Zeil… I knew you were the best changeling for this task. When Canterlot falls we will have a new home and a new kingdom, filled with ponies who will have no choice but to share their love with us all!”

Zeil nodded his head as he replied, “I never had doubt in you your majesty.”

Queen Chrysalis smiled in a pleased manner as she replied, “Of course you didn’t… You are among the loyalist of my subjects, and soon, your loyalty will pay off. Return to Canterlot and continue posing as a royal guard for just a little while longer. Then once I take the place of that pathetic alicorn princess, I will take over from there.”

Zeil bowed in respect as he replied, “As you command your majesty… I will obey.”

Then, just as he rose from his bow, Zeil transformed back into the pony guard as he turned around and began trotting back to Equestria.

Never Meant to Be
Chapter 1
I Am Wounded

Zeil hovered above Canterlot in his changeling form as he smiled looking into the panicking streets below. Seeing that his task to infiltrate Canterlot had succeeded, Zeil could feel nothing but pride as he watched the changeling army sweep through the city capturing the pony inhabitants. As he smiled with pride, Zeil looked near the city gate as he saw a few changeling worriers fighting a Canterlot royal guard. Though the guard was holding his own against the small number of changelings, it was easy to see that the guard was clearly outmatched as he pushed the changelings away and panted in exhaustion. As the guard tried backing away from his foes, Zeil decided to finish this fight quickly as he dove in from the sky, tackled the guard, and held him against the ground as he spoke to his fellow changelings, “I got this one… go get the rest.”

The changelings nodded their heads in agreement as they flew away to find more ponies to capture.

With the guard now pinned against the ground, he looked up at his enemy as he spoke, “W-why are you doing this?”
Zeil looked down and transformed into his royal guard disguise as he replied, “Like you… I am loyal to my ruler.”

The guard stared in shock at the changeling in his royal guard form as he replied, “C-Corporal Stan?...”

Zeil held his appearance while he smiled wickedly, “Funny isn’t it? To find your own species as your enemy. Well, it’s not like I was lying the whole time… nopony ever asked if I were a changeling now did they?...”

The guard sneered at Zeil as he replied, “You traitorous parasite.”

Zeil smiled as he held the guards spear to his neck as he replied; “Now that’s not a nice thing to say… I won’t deny it, but it’s still not nice.”

Feeling the spear blade on the back of his neck, the guard replied, “The princess will defeat you and your queen. You have no idea what the elements of harmony are capable of.”

Zeil sighed, “Look around you soldier… the city is completely under our control. Seeing the city like this can only mean one thing. Your princess is already defeated. Just like you.”

With that said, Zeil raised the spear up with the intent of bringing it down and into the back of the guard’s neck, but as he started to drop it a bright pink flash of light came from the Canterlot castle as Zeil stopped the spear to look towards it. Zeil could only watch as the pink flash was followed by a magical barrier that started inside the castle and pushed outward in a massive wave taking all the changelings to include Queen Chrysalis with it.

As Zeil saw the wave approach, he quickly raised the spear in his hooves in a blocking manner, but as the barrier hit him, it pushed him off the pinned guard and tossed him into the air like a massive tidal wave. With no control of his actions, the changeling was tossed into the air hitting his back against the top of the city gate before being thrown into the sky flipping and spinning out of control. Though the impact against the city’s gate hurt him incredibly, Zeil still tried all he could to regain his control as he released the spear and opened his wings trying to stop himself. However, with his velocity overpowering the drag of his wings, Zeil could only slow himself down slightly as he veered off course from the rest of the changelings and started to fall short into a forest that sat a number of miles outside Canterlot.

With little control on stopping, Zeil flew through the forest as the branches and limbs of the trees battered, bruised, and cut him as he broke through them like an unstoppable cannonball. However, it wasn’t long before he finally encountered something that he couldn’t break through as he colligated with a massive tree, breaking a few branches and thrown upward before coming down and landing in thorn bushes on the other side of the large obstacle. With his body, completely battered from head to tail, Zeil laid in the thorns with too much pain spanning through his body to notice that he was in thorns to begin with. As he slowly started to regain focus on his surroundings, Zeil slowly rolled over allowing the thorns to cut into his body all the more as he rolled off the bush and onto the ground beside it. As he struggled to pick himself up from the ground, he tried all he could to bear his pain as he felt something roll down his back that was heavier then the blood that was already dripping from all his wounds.

Curious to what he felt, Zeil slowly turned his head to see that what had fallen off his back was his insect like right wing. Though the sight of his wing on the ground concerned him, Zeil decided to pay no mind to it as he started looking at his surroundings with his head still rocking back and forth from his wooziness. As he rocked with his movement, Zeil noticed that he had fallen deep into the Everfree forest. As he looked at the damaged tree that caused his sudden stop, he all of a sudden saw a light emerge from the other side as a shadow appeared inside of it. Knowing that the light was from a doorway and the shadow from a resident inside the tree, Zeil struggled as he pushed his wing under the thorn bush and stumbled behind it so he wouldn’t be seen.

Feeling sleepy from his blood loss, Zeil watched from behind the bush as he saw a zebra trot around from the other side of the unusual home. Though he had never seen a real zebra before, Zeil knew that’s what he was looking at since he had heard that they resemble ponies but with stripes. First, the zebra looked at the damage done to her home, then she looked into the bushes that he was hiding behind as she spoke, “Hello there? Is anypony around? Are you the source of this damage found?”

With the zebra looking in his direction, Zeil knew that it was only a matter of time before she discovered him, and with his injuries, there was no way he could defend himself or flee if he needed to. So thinking fast, Zeil though up a good form to take as he used his natural abilities to change himself into a male Zebra

As the zebra made her way around the bush, Zeil tried all he could to hold himself up as she spoke in shock, “What? A zebra? I… didn’t expect to see… wait… you’re wounded… Please come with me.”

With that said, the zebra quickly rushed to Zeil’s side as she helped him up and started helping him inside, “Please come, lay down, your injuries are quite bad, you’ve been through too much, with no protection or clad. It’s a good thing I was home, for this, I am glad.”

As the zebra helped Zeil into her home, he couldn’t help but feel nervous, for one, He didn’t know this zebra so chances of her liking changelings to begin with was very low. Second, even if she did like changelings, if word of their failed attack on Canterlot were to reach her, he would be in serious trouble. But since he had almost no other choice, all he could do was keep his disguise as he mumbled to her through his fatigue, “Please… h-help me….”

The Zebra smiled peacefully as she replied, “Don’t worry one bit, Zecora’s medicine will work, and knowing much about herbs, is a most helpful perk.”

With Zecora helping him into her home and onto a table, Zeil laid down as she turned to her shelf and spoke, “Though I'm no doctor, I know many ways, to help the wounded who’ve seen better days.”

Zeil with his blood loss starting to take effect felt a little nervous. He knew that a changeling could change everything about himself to include the texture of his skin, and the color of his blood, and he knew he could keep this form even if he were to lose consciousness. It still didn’t make him feel at ease since he didn’t know anything about this mare or her species for that matter.

When Zecora finally found what she was looking for, he saw her pull out a small first aid kit as she opened it up and pulled out a small canister that looked homemade. Curious as to what it was, Zeil watched as Zecora opened the canister and dipped her hoof into the gel substance inside as she showed him and spoke, “This formula will help, but don’t trust what you feel. Just lay very still, for the feelings aren’t real.”

Zeil was entirely confused to what she meant by aren’t real, but since he had almost no choice in the matter, he kept his silence as Zecora rubbed the gel like substance on his forehead then wiped it off of her hoof as she started getting some bandages ready. Within a few minutes, the pain that Zeil felt that covered almost his entire body, seemed to go away leaving the disguised changeling in a state of confusion.

As soon as the pain was completely gone, from his forehead stretching to the rest of his body, the feeling of pain was replaced with a numbing feeling that wasn’t a painful numbing, but an absent feeling that made him feel like he was falling. Worried that he actually was, Zeil raised his head up to look around as Zecora put his head back down and spoke, “Stay calm my friend, I know what you feel. But you must stay calm if want yourself to heal.”

When Zeil laid his head back down, he could see Zecora hard at work as she stitched some of his cuts leaving him to feel nothing from her actions. Even then, he still felt like he was falling from high in the sky. This feeling continued for about twenty more minutes as Zecora cleaned, stitched, and bandaged the many wounds that were all over his body from the cut on his back that removed his wing to the thorns still stuck in his legs and even to his side which he knew probably broke a rib or two. Then after about ten more minutes of endless work on Zecora’s part, Zeil started to feel an intense drowsiness as he fought to keep himself conscious but lost in the end.

He didn’t know how long he was out, but when he awoke, Zeil found himself laying in a bed with bandages covering almost his entire body. Worried, Zeil lifted one of the bandaged high enough to see that he was still in the zebra form as he sighed in relief, “Good she di…”

Thinking that he was still at risk, Zeil silenced himself just in case somepony could hear him, but as he looked around he could easily see that he was completely alone in the one roomed home. Worried that whoever helped him would return soon, Zeil pulled the covers off himself as he climbed out of the bed. However as soon as he put pressure on his hooves, Zeil’s legs gave way to his injuries as he fell to the ground with a pain riddled grunt. With the pain of his wounds returning to his body, Zeil struggled as he tried to pick himself up, but no matter how much strength he could muster, it wasn’t enough to pick himself up from the floor.

As he continued, the front door of the home opened as Zecora entered and trotted to the center table with a bag of herbs. As soon as she laid the bag on the table she looked over at Zeil as she panicked at what she saw, “No! My guest. You mustn’t be standing, you must lay back down, and to this I'm demanding.”

Zecora rushed to Zeil’s side and helped him off the ground, and back into the bed as he replied, “I-I gotta go… I can’t stay here.”

Zecora shook her head, “In your shape, I cannot allow. For your wounds are too fierce, and your muscles won’t endow.”

Zeil laid back in the bed as he replied, “But I… wait… exactly how severe were my injuries?”

Zecora turned around and started pulling her collected herbs from her bag as she replied, “Broken bones, Deep cuts, much worse than ever seen, Well you tried to stand, so you know what I mean.”

Zeil looked at his bandaged hoof as he replied, “Well… I guess it beats dying… but how long will I be like this?”
Zecora replied, “For the next few days, you’ll be in a weary state, but shortly after that you’ll be better than great.”

“A few days... so what should I do till then?”

Zecora smiled, “You can stay here with me, I will not mind one bit, since it never happened, for a zebra to visit.”

Remembering that he was in disguise, Zeil felt nervous as he replied, “Oh… yea… I suppose, we aren’t in many around here are we?”

Zecora smiled, “So far from home, this pony nation reside. But I made it my home, and this I decide. But what about you? Where you forced to disembark? I ask this simply, cuz you have no placement mark.”

Although Zeil was confused at first, he quickly realized what she was talking about as he looked to a small opening on his bandages that sat on his flank. When he looked, he realized one very important thing. Through his pain, he had forgotten to give himself a Cutiemark along with his disguise. Zeil could only feel embarrassed that he had forgotten something so crucial when taking a new form, but since he knew it was too late, he just decided to play along, “Oh… um… yea… That’s why I'm here… um… in Equestria that is.”

Zecora nodded her head as she started mixing the herbs into a bowl and began grinding them up, “I see and understand, traditions all inscribe, Say that all who fail placement will be banished from the tribe. But from which of them did you reside?”

Not knowing anything about the nation Zecora was talking about, Zeil mumbled as he tried thinking of a believable answer, “I… um… well… I guess I would say… the tribe in… um… the center?”

Zecora turned and gave Zeil a curious look as she replied, “A tribe in the center? Of the four tribes in peace? I was not aware of a fifth to say the least.”

Zeil hid his nervousness, as he replied, “Well… not many po… I mean Zebra know of the fifth tribe… especially since… um… they aren’t very liked by the rest.”

Zecora thought to herself as she replied, “Well I can’t say I would know, since I left home long ago. None the less welcome, it not often I see a same. So welcome uh… hmm… might I have your name?”

Feeling caught off guard with the name question Zeil looked around as he tried to think of a fake name to give, “Oh… um… my name is…zzz… zzz…”

As Zeil looked around trying to think of something that she wouldn’t catch, his eyes wondered across a window where he could see vines hanging down from a few branches outside. Therefore, in the stir of the moment he cleared his throat as he continued, “My name… is Zine.”

Giving Zecora a curious look in hopes that his fake name was believable, Zeil looked at Zecora as she smiled, “Well that’s quite the name, and it’s nice to meet you Zine. And as for names, Zecora is mine.”

As Zecora smiled peacefully, Zeil smiled back as he felt lucky that his fake identity was working so far. After the two smiled at each other for a brief moment, Zecora went back to grinding the herbs as she continued, “Well Zine, I’m sorry to say, but how did you crash here? And from where yesterday?”

Zeil tried to think up a good reply, but when none came to mind, he decided to reply with a sarcastic remark, “Um… well, I guess… I was trying to see if my… um talent was flying… but that wasn’t it after all… was it?”

At first, Zecora turned and gave Zeil a blank stare as he smiled in embarrassment at his remark, but then Zecora could only cover her muzzle as she giggled at his reply. Trying to play along while still nervous, Zeil laughed along with Zecora before she replied, “Flying isn’t your talent, that’s easy to see, Niether is landing since you crashed into a tree.”

As Zecora continued laughing at his remark, Zeil nodded his head as he replied, “Yea… a tree… some branches, a few thorn bushes, and then the ground. Maybe I should just stick to trotting… I may live longer.”

As Zeil and Zecora continued laughing at the situation, he was in, Zeil started to feel something coming from Zecora. To a pony, this could easily be missed, but to a changeling, this feeling was all too familiar. She was flirting with him.

Trying to ignore this easy to sense feeling, Zeil tried to change the subject, “So… if flying isn’t my talent… then… what is?”
Zecora finished laughing as she turned back to the herbs, poured a small dab of water into the bowl, and mixed it into a fine paste, “I cannot say, each tribe’s talent depends on their home, but for the fifth tribe, I can’t say its known.”

Zecora then turned back to Zeil and placed the bowl of paste in front of him as she continued, “Now eat this, the taste isn’t the best, but it will heal your wounds faster while you rest.”

Zeil looked at the brown paste as he could only asked, “Um… is it safe to eat?... it looks… kinda gross.”

Zecora could only shrug her shoulders, “Well it isn’t poison, it will heal you quite quick, and prevent all your scars from being permanent. Now please lay down, your bandages need change, and I'll ask that you hold still during this delicate exchange.”

As Zeil laid still, Zecora picked up a bag of bandages as she began removing the ones from his body. As she continued Zeil tasted some of the brown paste that sat in the bowl but when the taste hit him, he could only cringe as the foul tasting paste filled his already aching head with even more pain. Luckily, the feeling was brief as Zecora started giggling at the face he made while trying to stand the bad tasting medicine. As Zecora continued removing his bandages, Zeil tried all he could to hold still as he felt the pain in his healing wounds start to return when exposed to air. Trying to be careful, Zecora continued to clean and rebandage every part of his wounds until she got to the bandage that wrapped around his torso and covered his back. As she removed this bandage revealing a stitched laceration on his back, Zeil looked at the wound and immediately became worried. It wasn’t the number of stitched that he saw, or the length of the cut itself that worried him, but the fact that the stitching on his back wasn’t just closing a simple wound. It was closing the wound left behind when his wing fell off.

Zeil tried to think to himself, he knew that with this wound closed, that chances of reattaching his wing would be zero. Nevertheless, he also knew the risk that he would be taking if he said anything and revealed his true form. So, with a sigh of disappointment, Zeil laid his head down and said nothing as Zecora continued cleaning this wound then rebandage it making the permanent decision to never fly again. When Zecora noticed his sigh, she spoke as she continued, “I understand the pain you undoubtingly feel, for injuries like this, it seems unreal.”

Zeil shook his head as he replied, “Yea… and to think of what it means for me… oh… never mind.”

Feeling sorry for the depressed look on Zeil’s face, Zecora smiled, “You should count your blessings. You’re still in one piece. If I weren’t here, you’d die to say the least.”

Zeil smiled as he looked as Zecora and replied, “You’re right… I completely forgot… Thank you Zecora. I know it won’t mean much coming from a complete stranger… but thanks… for saving my life.”

When Zecora saw the gentle smile on his face, she looked back at his wounds and avoided eye contact as she blushed and replied, “Yes… um well… it’s a pleasure to assist the same of my kind, I wasn’t expecting such a miraculous find. Now you sit back and rest, it’s here that you will stay, until you are healed and go about your merry way.”

When Zeil saw Zecora blush after he thanked her, he started to feel the same thing as before, which confirmed his theory. She had a crush on him… It was very faint and new, but this feeling was definitely a feeling of attraction that she had for him. However for a changeling in his current position, all he could do was play along until he was healed enough to leave on his own. He never had any interest in the affections of others nor would he stick around to antagonize those feelings if he had the choice. Nevertheless, with his injuries too severe to trot, and his identity still concealed behind a clever disguise, he saw no reason to escape when it wasn’t necessary. So, with his disguise in mind, Zeil smiled peacefully as he replied, “Thank you, it’s… been a while since I saw another zebra… like myself, so I'm grateful it was you that I came across.”

Zecora could only smile pleasantly as she continued her work in changing the fake zebra’s bandages.

In the border city of Trottingham, two royal guards dragged a chained changeling into the mayor’s office as one spoke, “Mr. Mayor… Look what we found trying to sneak into the kingdom.”

As the mayor stepped out from behind his desk the changeling replied, “I told you, you got it all wrong! I wasn’t trying to sneak in… I was trying to sneak out!”

The mayor approached the changeling as he asked, “Sneak out… what do you mean?”

The changeling replied, “I landed here after being tossed from Canterlot like a rag doll. I must find my Queen, as her subject I must make sure she is safe.”

One of the guards spoke to the mayor, “It was just yesterday that Queen Chrysalis and her army of changelings were cast out of Canterlot. If

I were to guess I would say that this… creature is one of the changelings that attacked the city.”

The mayor replied, “Yes... but the question remains… is he telling the truth?”

The changeling sighed as he replied, “of course I am! Why wouldn’t I be? Even her majesty knows when she’s beat. And trust me… she was beaten.”
The other guard looked at the changeling and spoke, “I don’t care what you say… why should we believe a changeling who attacked our captain?”
The changeling gave the guard a sarcastic look as he replied, “You’re a guard aren’t you?... You know that you have to follow the orders of royalty…”
With anger, the guard punched the changeling in his stomach as he replied in anger, “Don’t you ever compare me to the likes of you changeling,”
as the changeling gripped his gut gasping for air, the mayor spoke to the guards, “Take him to Canterlot… we should let capta… I mean Prince Armor handle him. Also, increase security in the city. If his story is true… then there are bound to be more changeling’s in Equestria.”
The guards nodded their heads as one replied, “Should we notify Princess Celestia of this news too?”
The mayor nodded his head, “Yes… if changelings still roam Equestria unchecked, then it could mean that the danger isn’t over just yet.”