• Published 10th Jan 2015
  • 760 Views, 13 Comments

The Silver Rainbow - ImAPonyXY



An SFW romantic Comedy between Rainbow Dash and Silver Blaze that soon spirals out of hoof and becomes something that neither of them ever expected.

  • ...
8
 13
 760

On That Night

Once the sun had started to set Blaze and Rainbow stepped hoof onto the front porch of her house. Blaze had made sure he brushed his brown, wind-swept mane and cyan-blue coat just so he looked nice for the occasion. Even though tonight was not going to be anything special he wanted to look dashing in case he me anypony new tonight. First impressions were always important, especially in front of potential friends. Never the less, this wasn't the first thing on mind, he just wanted to learn what Rainbow had to show him about the town's after dark. So with that in mind he flapped his wings and hovered above Rainbow.

"You ready?" he asked.

"Yeah, fly me down," she answered and allowed herself to be picked up and carried as she was earlier. Hooves around her chest for security and her head and tale left the soak up the breeze and thrill of flight. She only wished that he could fly faster, but she was lucky enough to have someone fly her up in the first place, so she wasn't complaining.

No doubt the short flight would be awkward and boring, so Blaze decided to strike up a conversation, "So where will you be taking me tonight." he inquired eagerly. Perhaps she would tell him now.

But of course, she replied only with, "I'm not telling. Its a surprise for a reason."

Blaze sighed, he was hoping she would break her silence on the subject, but that just wasn't an option right now. So he would just have to suck it up and be surprised for when this remarkable restaurant was revealed.

"Okay then. So mind telling me why it's a surprise?" he asked curiously and keeping their little chat alive.

"It's more fun this way," she answered simply, "I need to entertain myself a little."

"How is this entertaining?"

"Well it's not really that fun. It's just the thought." she sighed, "I haven't messed with someone in a long time, I'm losing my touch."

Blaze laughed,"Haha," ... "Oh I'm sure you get back to it soon enough."

"Well now that you're around I finally have someone to practice on," she joked.

"I wouldn't get your hopes up, you weren't ever able to prank me back in Cloudsdale. I doubt you'd be able to do it here without me figuring it out."

"I've changed Blaze, I'm better at two things now. Flying and pranking. Both I can use to mess with you."

"Not now you can't, I'm the one flying and you're the one who isn't able to"

"Whatever. I'll show you a thing or two by next week. I'll make you awe at how amazing I've gotten."

"I have no doubt you will," with that, he touched down and let go of Rainbow as he lowed himself down, standing next to her. "Right then. Lead the way," he said, gesturing for her to start walking and once she did.

Rainbow nodded and began to walk down the bustling street as the nightlife of Ponyville started to reveal itself. It was a wondrous sight to say the least, but it hadn't even kicked off yet.

She turned a corning and lead him down a quieter street full of small shops that had closed for the night, cafes, and restaurants. At the end of this street was a place known as Lil' Drops's. Well here we are.

"Lil' Drops?" Blaze said, "What's so special about this place?" he asked.

"This is the most successful and expensive place in the entire town," she explained, "And since the cook as a massive fan of mine, I get to eat a discounted price. Since you're with me, you get that discount too."

"Wow. That sounds cool."

"I know!" she squealed a little, "And they make great food."

"Sounds even better. Shall we go in?" he stepped to the side of the door, "Ladies first."

She trotted in, "I'm not a lady," she stuck her tongue out.

Blaze laughed again and followed her in, sitting down at a window seat and eying the place curiously. The restaurant definitely resembled success. It was fashioned with what looked like fine materials. The wall adjacent the the entrance was made entirely of a clean stone while the rest was lined with thin, horizontal wooden planks. Pillars of wood and thin fences around the place sectioned off the seating areas from the bar that sat at the back, entertaining the few drunks that had nothing better to do. The floor was a nice, light pine and under every table was a red and green rug lined with white trims and a different emblem decorated the center. Their emblem was ironically a love heart. Although not intentional this gave their table a slight feel of romance and courtship.

"Did you want to move to another table?" Blaze asked.

"Nah! Suck it up. It's just a rug," she replied and began to scour through the menu. Although she already knew what she wanted to eat, she just wanted to catch the attention of the nearest waiter.

Blaze followed suit and he too read through the menu. Although unlike Rainbow, he had not the slightest idea what he wanted. Page after page he turned. He was surprised that this place had so many meals to prepare.

He flicked through each different section, entrees... mains... desserts... until he came to something that sounds alright to him. It was a simple flower dish known to just about everypony of which small cafes usually specialized in. Although he assumed a 5 star restaurant like this would perfect such a dish to mere amazement. It was the Flower de Flur.

By the time he had decided a waiter showed up to take their order, she held a small not bad and a pen. With a bow around her neck and her main combed back professionally. "Good evening Miss Dash. May I take you orders?" she asked kindly.

"Yes," Rainbow spoke, "I'll have the Flower de Flur please."

Blaze gulped a little, Rainbow was ordering the exact same thing as he was. First the heart rug and now this. This night just kept getting more and more awkward by the minute.

The waiter then turned to Blaze, "And what would you like sir?"

"Uhh. I'll have what she's having," he answered her nervously.

"Two Flower de Flurs. Did you want anything else for tonight?" the waiter inquired. Writing their order.

"We'll get back to you on that one." Rainbow said.

"As you wish. You're meals will be ready shortly," the waiter said walking off to serve some other new arrivals.

And just as she said, their meals shortly arrived. It hadn't even passed the five minute mark. The Flower de Flur was a simple flower sandwich normally. But this restaurant had changed it slightly to make it more presentable and delectable. Now it had a Sour Dough bun, lettuce, cucumber and at least three types of flowers. Although Blaze couldn't tell what they were.

He took a bite of it and an explosion of flavor burst throughout his mouth, enlightening any and all taste buds in it's path. It seemed as though they also topped it off with some sauce that probably had a name too fancy for Blaze to even dream of pronouncing. His trust in them wasn't misplaced, they had definitely perfected such a simple product.

"So how is it?" Rainbow asked suddenly, having already finished hers.

"Amazing," was all that he said. Taking another few bites. "I honestly wasn't expecting it to be this good."

"Well this place didn't become the best over night." she said.

He took the last few bites of his sandwich and leaned back in the chair, "Yeah no kidding, they really earned their name. This place is great," he complemented. "I might actually look for getting a job here."

"Can you cook?"

"Not entirely. But I can serve." he answered.

"Well why don't you go up and speak to someone about it now?"

"Uhh. I'll wait until tomorrow. You know, when it's less busy."

"Good point," she said and yawned. "Well, it's going to be getting late soon, we should start heading home. You've got a big day tomorrow."

Blaze nodded, "Yeah, it's not easy moving to a new town." He stood up and waited for her before leading Rainbow out to the front of the miraculous restaurant. "Well, should I fly you up now?"

"Well I can't fly myself up," she said keeping herself stiff, letting Blaze grab her before she loosened herself up a bit.

The flight home was quick and cold. The night time breeze was chilly and since they weren't moving too fast they didn't get a whole lot of blood pumping to keep them warm. However they passed the time with a little small talk as they got to know each other a little. Rainbow told him of the adventures she's had with her friends. She told him of how she helped to stop Nightmare Moon and how she longed to join the Wonderbolts.

By the time they got to her home, Rainbow had told him of just about everything that had happened between when they last met and now. She even told him about Gilda and the Grand Galloping Gala. Blaze was impressed to say the least as he didn't have much to tell her except that he had a job as a Weather Pony Supervisor, which was one of the most boring jobs ever.

But now he was here and he could start a new life. One that was hopefully interesting and full of adventure. Instead of one where he told pegasi where to position, or take away a cloud.

"Hey Blaze." Rainbow said as they landed, catching his attention.

"Yeah?"

"Thanks for a great night," she said, smiling and a leaning in to kiss his forehead.