• Published 6th Jun 2015
  • 10,812 Views, 1,481 Comments

The Crystal Wolves (Rewrite) - Roran Dreamon



They say that those that wish for an exciting life should be blessed that it doesn't happen to them, but what happens when that wish comes true and the person actually enjoys what was given to him? A Displaced Story

  • ...
108
 1,481
 10,812

Equestrian Presence

The dusk has come, the moon has risen over the horizon and with it came for the ponies that were working during the day were now returning home as those that are part of the night shift get themselves ready for the night.

I was sitting in my throne room with the all of the heads of the noble families, all of them swearing their fealty to me as their new king. With my wife on my left and Glittering Quill on my right, I know on this night will be the beginning of a new kingdom, one that will not bow or bend to the demands of another nation nor will it allow any transgression against us go unpunished.

Looking down from my throne at the noble ponies standing before me I saw that all of them knew that I was rightful heir to the throne if the crystal crown on my head was of any indication along with the fact that I was the only one around that has the knowledge and experience in leadership along with the experience in dealing with foreigners.

Casting my gaze to my loyal wardens who stand at the ready along the perimeter of the chamber as the crystal guards form a line along the dark blue carpet leading to the throne, facing inward to see behind the guard in front of them. The nobles that are in attendance nervously shift from hoof to hoof, I know for a fact that a few of them don't like me because I am not a pony but the other reason why they don't like me is that I tend to...be rough with those that I play with.

Tilting my head to my left I saw Forge let out a tired yawn, she had been busy since we left the walls many hours ago to prepare herself for what might be a pre-emptive attack from the Equestrians, she was sitting beside me wearing the armor I had commissioned for her, it was form-fitting, protected key points on her body and it still allowed her to have full mobility to be a threat to anything that moves.

Looking to my right I saw Quill was busy writing down the names of those that are swearing fealty along with the names of those within the family of each noble house. My friend looked happy to be writing all of this down, I guess whatever it takes to keep her mind off the things that has happened in the past, it isn't healthy for her and I will be having a talk with her when this is all over with.

Returning my attention to the nobles I thanked them for their time and dismissed them, in the coming days, weeks, months and years I will have to establish trade with foreign nations, make peace deals, grin and smile as some parties try to make demands on us all the while I make demands of my own. Ruling a nation is a cutthroat business and if it is anything like leading my Wardens during the war and during the peace time in between, I will be forced to stomp out any opposition or problems that may arise on occasion.

"Thank you all for coming on such short notice, you may all return to your homes now. Have a pleasant night and remember, only together can we ensure a greater tomorrow for the empire." I said to the nobles as they bowed their heads at me before they left the grand chamber and only when the door to the throne room was closed was I allowed to slump into my throne and let out a dejected sigh.

"I hate dealing with those pretentious pricks..." I muttered as soon as they were gone.

I really hate dealing with those snobs, all they care about is themselves and their money. Unless we force them into doing something than they will gladly let everything burn and fall apart around them so as long they get to keep their gold coins and their status above the common pony and those beneath their station.

"Love, I know you hate them, you tell me every single day because of how selfish and self-centered they are. If this were to happen back home the clan would have the selfish little snobs doing double the amount of work the rest of us do." Forge said as she rested her head on my left hand as my upper left hand started to stroke her mane as she let out a happy sigh.

"Sadly Forge we need those nobles if we are to get things done in a timely manner, we wouldn't be able to do much without their assistance in several matters and they all serve their purposes well enough." Quill said as she rolled up the scroll she was writing on before placing it in her saddlebag pocket before standing up to get the sleep out from her legs.

"Aye, they do accomplish their jobs but they complained whenever I was the one who made the request in the past and now that they see that I am in charge they are starting to think twice on saying 'No' to me along with giving me a proper response instead of calling me a monster on a leash." Dealing with these assholes in the past sucked balls, I am still wondering on why I never killed any of them in their sleep and placed the blame on the changelings or griffons.

Thinking back on it all I still remember that every single one of those nobles hated me because I was given the title of Warden of the Wilds and was given the authority of both princesses to act in their stead in any situation that would dare to threaten the tranquility and harmony of their kingdom. I abused that authority to root out any who would dare undermine their rule, hunted down those that committed atrocious crimes of the most heinous sort, all the while committing a few crimes myself.

Blackmailing a few ponies, selling relics and other artifacts from a bygone era to collectors, making illegal alchemical mixtures that can alter the pony's mind and thoughts, broke a few bones and killed a couple ponies who knew too much.

I did it all to ensure that the Crystal Kingdom would keep running and not cave in on itself and in the end it almost didn't matter because of Sombra and the bullshit he pulled in the last year.

That asshole almost ruined my plans, I couldn't believe that he thought that if he had the power of the Crystal Heart on his side along with the power of the Darkness that I had taught him over the years. If I had failed to beat him than I can very well tell that he would have turned every single pony within the kingdom into mind-controlled slaves before spreading out from the kingdom to enslave the rest of the world.

Sighing explosively I stood up from my throne and took a few steps off of it, my spine cracking as it hasn't move a single inch since I started court and I must say that although it was needed it was also incredibly dull and boring.

With the sun in the middle of the sky and court is adjourned for the day I went down to the barracks to check out the guards and wardens that are still here and are not out checking on the villages and towns to see if any of them have returned. The barracks was a few floors below the throne room and with a quick walk and a jog to it I found that they are getting back into shape with their practice sessions.

Apparently the body while in stasis will suffer from a form of muscular atrophy, all of them are suffering from it and as a result they are beating themselves back into shape, the wardens are mostly doing the beating while the guards are busy trying to duck and dodge well timed thrusts and sweeps. And as for the centurions that I have beaten into unconsciousness, most of them are in the infirmary for broken bones, concussions, internal bleeding, busted teeth, dislocated legs, bruised tailbone and a cracked hoof, but for those that are in good condition they are helping whoever is available however they can.

As I stared at them I saw Bastion doing his best to instruct and teach everypony present, I need that old stallion here now more than ever seeing how we have the Equestrians at our doorstep. They are just a scant three miles away from our front gates and if what my scouts are saying is true than they brought both princesses and who I can only assume are the new element bearers.

Celestia and Luna tried to hide the elements from me but when I found them within the vault hidden underneath their thrones I had immediately assaulted the archives in my search for any information regarding them and what I found made my skin crawl.

The elements of harmony pre-date both Celestia and Luna, they were discovered during Discord's reign of terror and fear, not much is known about them other than that they imbue its user or users with unimaginable power of harmony that when used against those that are chaotic, disharmony or those that are evil and wicked, they would be purged. When I had asked Celestia what it meant by purged she said that it had turned Discord into stone, and back when the last king and queen alicorns was alive it was used to banish Tirek to this world's version of hell.

For me to guess I can say that the elements punish you depending on how evil you are, for a being like Discord who threw everything about the world out of whack with his chaos he was imprisoned and stone and forgotten where he was petrified, and as for Tirek he tried to steal the world's magic to make himself a god and the elements banished him to hell and turned him into stone.

Seems like the common outcome is being petrified, a fate worse than death and if it turns out you are still conscious and can see and hear everything while you are encased in stone, you just might go mad from the isolation.

I couldn't believe that the ex princesses would bring the elements along with their new bearers here, did they really have little faith in us? And who do they think they are, coming here with a century amount of soldiers and armed to the teeth, I will not surrender my kingdom without a fight the old fashioned way.

'They want my throne, they want my crown and kingdom? Then they are going to pay the blood price for it, and I know that those ponies out there are too cowardly and thin-skinned to risk their own lives for the crown.'

Leaving the barracks behind I went straight to the armory and entered the large room, swords, spears, shields, axes, hammers, crossbows and throwing spears lined the walls and holders but what I was looking for was in the back of the arsenal. My weapons and armor, the very things I had forged to fit my physic and fighting style.

This armor is not as strong or as durable as the armor that I came here with but I had it specifically built to go over my true armor so it would fool those that think I am wearing bulky and unnecessary armor. I wonder if the ex-princesses still remember this little ploy?

Strapping on the Bulwark I slid the pieces onto their corresponding spots and had the straps hidden as best as I could before grabbing my four swords and their sheathes.

While I was equipping myself for what might be an inevitable battle I heard the loud clopping of hooves before it kicked open the door and I didn't have to wait to hear who it is as I heard the pony in question speak up.

"Skolas! The equestrians have started to move toward the main gates!" a warden shouted, one Skirmish Strider, a bundle of piss and vinegar who has a thirst for battle and seeing how we might be getting into a war just as soon as we have returned, naturally it would have been him to tell me this news.

Turning around I faced the lemon yellow earth pony and smiled, this warden was strapped with his longsword, this guy is already prepared for battle.

"Tell the guards, wardens and centurions in the training hall to suit up and to meet me at the main gate, tell the trebuchet operators to get to the front gate tossers and to load it immediately. We will not be taken over by a mere century of soldiers!" I said as I left the armory and already there are wardens leading the crystal guards outside, all them galloping in formation as they headed towards the ramparts.

"Aye sir! Should I alert Crucio as well?"

"No, he will find out on his own, I would rather not disturb him when he is busy reading the tomes of the past."

"But isn't he blind? How is he reading?"

"He doesn't need eyes to read Skirmish." I said as I ended the conversation before heading out the front door of the crystal palace and started to march towards the front gate, my handpicked wardens surrounding me as we all went together as one.

As we marched towards the gate I watched as the citizens ran towards their homes and barricaded themselves inside while a few others started to grab their own weapons and setting up defensive points by knocking over patio tables and using them as barricades.

Marching past the market district we soon arrived at the outer residential district and out here was where the guards were already telling the citizens to barricade themselves inside while also assembling themselves on the ramparts. Scaling the stairs onto the ramparts overlooking the main gate I saw that the equestrians were indeed moving towards us and immediately called for the shield wall to form up and the crossbows to aim over them.

I am not taking any chances with them.

Before long I was able to see the equestrian banner they are carrying with them and with them I saw that they were in a box formation around both princesses and the new element bearers, but something else about the group caught my eyes.

There was a pony amongst them that was taller than the rest, I know it was a giant because those are as big as Celestia, sometimes taller, and that this one looked unarmored while Celestia and Luna were wearing their battle armor. Whoever this third pony is, I sure hope it isn't another alicorn, if it is than Celestia and Luna will have some explaining to do if they are breeding alicorns.

Soon the equestrians were three hundred meters away from the gates before stopping, their formation opened up as both white and black alicorns stepped out and trotted between their forces and the wall.

Looking from my position on the wall I watched the alicorn sisters trot across the field before stopping just a hundred meters from the wall, the crystal guards had their crossbows out and were aiming at the princesses while I stood in the shadows of the bunker on top of the main gate before leaving it behind with Forge in tow.

Leaning down to a crystal guard standing by the mechanism that opens the gate I whispered into his ear to open the gates and to keep them open long enough to let the two princesses pass but to close it immediately as soon as they cross the threshold.

I then whispered into the ear of another guard that if any of the equestrians tried to get into the city without my permission that they have the authority to shoot them down and arrest them if they surrender, kill them if they resist to the point that they won't surrender no matter what.

Forge knew what I was going to do as I have told her when we were on the wall last night about the plan so now was the time to set it in motion.

Leaving the gatehouse behind me I went down to the main gate and waited as it slowly opened up, my wife standing beside me although she seemed a bit antsy as she shuffled around, her armor was a bit tight on her as she grew a bit when she last wore it.

As soon as the main gate was open I slowly made my way out and walked with stride towards my two old friends.

Both of them were surprised to see me that I was still alive and was not a apparition of their own design, they galloped right at me and I stood there as I was toppled over in a heap of legs, feathers and hooves.

While I was in the pile of equestrian princesses it took me a few seconds to pull myself up and out from them as I looked down at the both of them.

"It has been a while since we last saw one another, under much better circumstances."

"We haven't seen you in almost two thousand years and the first thing you say to us is that?"

"And what did you expect me to say? 'Oh I am so glad to see the two of you! It feels like it has been ages since I last saw either of you, oh wait a minute...it has been ages huh? I wonder why is that the case.' Because if you were expecting me to welcome you with open arms then you came to the wrong place." I said as I plucked a white feather from my shoulder before flicking it aside as I stared the two down.

Neither of the two said a word as they took in what I said with stride but I can tell that it hurt them as their eyes winced from the biting words that I unleashed.

Turning my back to them I took a few steps toward the gate before tilting my head to the side so two of my four eyes can see them.

"I take it that you came all this way for something, might as well invite you all inside to keep warm from the biting cold. Just don't anything stupid and follow the laws of common sense."

"Thank you for your hospitality."

"Just keep your ponies in check, last time I checked the equestrian ponies they were fighting each other over the very land they migrated to and they hated the others guts so badly that they nearly committed genocide on one another." and with that said I resumed my walk toward the bulwark and as soon as I walked through the main gate I told those that were there to be on alert and to let the equestrians in and to also tell everyone inside to stand down but to also be on alert.

That and also to get the Crystal Festival up and running for it will not be put on hold or postponed any longer.

I didn't have to wait long as I walked back into my city to hear the sounds of several armored and unarmored hooves following behind me, my wife was trotting beside me on my left as Celestia and Luna were right behind us along with the rest of their group and protective detail. My own guards were standing on our left and right flanks, keeping their weapons at the ready and pointed right at the equestrians as Luna told their little group about the rules I had laid out for them to follow as long as they are here within my city.

It wasn't long before I heard the chatter coming from the equestrians, mainly from the six unarmored mares that was surrounded on all sides by equestrian royal guards, I was able to clearly hear everything that was being said and at the time they were talking about me. They couldn't get a clear look at me and they don't know who the mare beside is, but for the time being they can keep on guessing as to who the two of us are.

While we were walking through the city the group of ponies behind us were looking at the crystal ponies and were too busy looking at the stands and games that were being set up, a few of them were already ready to be played with but when one of them, an all pink earth pony tried to leave the group all it took was a hand motion and the crystal guards put her back into the group.

We all soon made it to the crystal palace and from the stunned gasps, apparently they never saw a castle made completely out of crystal and make it look fabulous although the metal gate slightly makes it look less regal, gonna have to work on that one sooner or later.

Walking through the front gates I watched as my wardens snapped to attention, one hundred specially trained crystal ponies and they were all under my command, the other nine hundred were throughout the city and the outlying lands as they checked on the other towns, outposts and far-flung areas to see if they too have returned to this realm.

Turning around I faced the assembled ponies, both equestrian and crystal, and announced what was going to happen now.

"In two days time the Crystal Festival will commence! I want all of you to enjoy yourselves! Drink! Laugh! Play! Enjoy yourselves and spread the cheer to your friends and neighbors and remember to have a good time! And as for our visitors from the south, our equestrian brothers and sisters who made the journey to reconnect with us and to finally bring word of what has been going on in the outside world since our sudden absence!" The sound of cheering ponies from my own guards and citizens can be heard just as I also hear the cheering from one pink earth pony as well, apparently that one is here for a good time instead of whatever part of the diplomatic mission that she is a part of.

Looking down at the equestrians before me I said only one word as I walked through the large double doors.

"Come."

And come they did, they followed me in as my guards lined the halls to ensure that they follow me and not take a detour.

Stalking the halls we made our way to the guest wing and told the equestrians that tomorrow in the morning we will discuss whatever they came here to discuss but for the time being they will be confined to their rooms and will only be allowed to be taken to the dining hall or to each others rooms and that is it.

But before Luna or Celestia can enter their appropriate rooms I got their attention and directed them to follow me, we had some things to discuss in private.

The three of us walked back to my chambers, we were exhausted from what was probably the most amount of administrative work I have ever done since I first created the Wardens, and that amount of paperwork was almost not worth it. Opening the door to my room I let the two alicorns in and as soon as they crossed the doorway and I let myself in I immediately closed the door, locked it and I immediately started to vent my frustration on the two.

"Celestia." I started as I poured myself a glass of what these crystal ponies call 'Bitter Root Ale' but to me it tastes more like brown piss water and took a gulp and immediately regretted it as I remembered why I stopped drinking it.

It tastes exactly like piss.

"Skolas." Princess Celestia said as she sat down on a cushion that was resting in the corner away from the fireplace, her sister following suit as the two made themselves as comfortable as possible.

"Celestia, it was because of your failure back then all those years ago that we are here right now." I said as I took another swing and shuddered at the revolting taste. Why would I keep drinking it even though it tastes so god damn awful?

Because it was either drink something that has the effect of keeping me from flying off the handle or take nothing and almost kill the two behind me in blind rage.

"Are we really doing this right now?" The white alicorn said as she stares at me as if I just grew a second head.

"Yes, yes we are. You know how blunt I can be and you are going to stand there and take it because I am going to be venting my anger on you until I am well and done." And also that it was about damn time that I let them hear what has been chewing me out while I was employed in their service.

"But I-" I immediately cut her off as I got started on my ranting.

"I had to get rid a third of the nobles in Providence because they were all trying to dethrone you, I have their bloods on my hands while your hooves were kept clean of the matter." I started as I recalled the first of horrible things I had done in my employment to Celestia and Luna.

"If you hadn't done that particular deed than the gryphons would have attacked sooner and laid waste to the entire kingdom!"

"That is bullshit and you know it. I did my homework on those stallions and mares and none of them had any connection with the gryphons let alone had any connection with the yaks that raided the western mountains, Chrysalis's feral changelings or even the diamond dog raiders of the south." Only one pony was responsible for the gryphons breaching our security, and his skeleton is still being picked clean by the rodents in the dungeons.

"But-"

"And then there was me cleaning up the mess with the Wendigo's, how the hell did you honestly expect me to fight them when they are nothing more than hostile spirits that creates an unnatural winter wherever they go. You should be lucky I was able to lure them into those caverns and locked them away at the cost of a magister and four wardens, those five ponies will never be forgotten." The sheer fact that the equestrians somehow managed to get a few of these fuckers to come north is frightening enough, I had to send them a message and it was loud and clear.

Send us your evil spirits one more time and we will poison your water supplies.

"I am sorry that they had to sacrifice their lives but if the Wendigo's weren't sealed away than all of the kingdom would have either starved to death or froze over!"

"And lastly we get to Sombra and the shit he pulled." Technically this one was somewhat my fault but it wouldn't have happened if that foolish mare didn't order me to spread my knowledge of the dark arts to those that weren't truly prepared for it.

"That one was actually your fault you know."

"Oh really? Did I ask you to teach one of my best mages the ways of an unknown school of magic, unsupervised by my own spies and mages, never check up and see how the lessons are going and finally decide that my own sister is ready to learn that same school of unknown magic when the results of said school of magic looked promising against our enemies both at home and foreign? OH that's right, you did the exact same thing that I was talking about! You ordered Sombra to learn about the Darkness, harness its power and use it against the gryphons and the nobles that plotted against you and when you finally decided that if it was safe for a normal unicorn to use you than it would be safe for an alicorn to use! You then told your little sister to learn the Darkness from the creepy pale gangly creature in strange armor. Surely it would not end terribly!"

"Okay I get it."

"Do you!? Because you failed to even properly watch, study and analyze the Darkness that was being used in the training room in the palace, it corrupted Sombra to what you saw when you were exiled and from what I heard from Luna that it eventually corrupted her as well! You risked everything for an advantage over the gryphons and any enemies that might arise from the ashes of the war. And oh how the mighty has fallen because of your foolish actions, the gryphon empire may have crumbled upon itself when I executed the king and his entire family with the exception of the children but in its wake we created several dozen raider camps, created distrust between the kingdom and several others that we have contact with and lastly the death of a few of my friends."

"This war gave us nothing more than a broken peace between us and the gryphons, several hundred ponies with severed limbs wearing my prosthetics just so they can go on with their lives, we lost the entire Boreal Valley region due to the gryphons 'Scorched Earth' policy and lord knows how long it will take to become fertile and safe again. Then after the war we then had to deal with Chrysalis and her feral changelings, her desire for revenge for me standing up against her advances when I first appeared her made her go after a chaos shard and it warped her body and mind into what she is today, how many ponies did we lose to those ferals until you finally made up your mind to hunt them down? Ten? Twenty? How about two-hundred and fifty-one, the entire population of Glittering Heights. My wardens found nothing but drained husks, dried blood pools and bleached bones there and it only took us a week to find where the feral hive was located, but you wanted there to be peace between us."

"Peace! With feral beasts! Were you out of your fucking mind you dumb whorse! You don't make peace with wild animals that has killed an entire town of your people, you put them down! What the hell was the matter with you!" I shouted at Celestia as I threw the by now empty piss water glass at the wall, it exploded into fragments as it scattered everywhere all over the wall and floor as I wheeled around at glared at the alabaster alicorn.

"And lastly we have you bringing with you a third alicorn! One I have never seen before and that is also younger than the two of you and it doesn't take a genius to figure out what you are planning here. You plan to install her as the ruler of the Crystal Empire to be your puppet so you can have a strong hold over your northern approach."

"I will not allow it nor will I let this happen."

"I am sorry but you have no say in the matter."

"Oh really? Have you forgotten about the laws that govern the Crystal Kingdom during its absence?"

"No I did not forget...I may have a little..."

"She can try to take the throne, but there is always a price for it." I said with a slow spreading shit-eating grin as I opened the door and let the two out of my room and told the guards waiting for them to take them back to their rooms.

With them gone I looked at the fireplace, but more specifically the ceremonial swords that was resting behind a normal crystal guard shield.

'Does she have what it takes to do what is necessary for the greater good? We will find out soon enough.'

Author's Note:

Sorry about the massive ass delay, apparently the laptop that I use for this story decided to fuck me over and go into the crapper so now its not working and with it all the files on this story, gonna have to play this by ear until I can get it fixed.