• Published 6th Jun 2015
  • 10,819 Views, 1,481 Comments

The Crystal Wolves (Rewrite) - Roran Dreamon



They say that those that wish for an exciting life should be blessed that it doesn't happen to them, but what happens when that wish comes true and the person actually enjoys what was given to him? A Displaced Story

  • ...
108
 1,481
 10,819

Necessary Preperations

As soon as Luna left my dreams I stood up during the middle of the raging blizzard and just as quickly as it came it left, leaving behind for me to see a grim reminder that war is a gruesome affair and that no one is a true winner in any given war.

Walking through the frozen wastes, stepping gingerly over the corpses of ponies and griffons alike, body parts strewn everywhere in every which way and in varying states of motion, the looks of shock, horror, pain and agony forever marked on their faces. Swords, spears, axes and arrows littered this mass graveyard and for a moment I thought I saw someone that I could recognize but instead it was just a random pony that I never saw before.

This battlefield, so many died here but it was the griffons who for the most part paid the price in the end. Without a structured leadership to take the reins and lead the common foot soldiers, the remaining griffon army charged into battle with no formation, no plan and no means of ordering a tactical retreat or surrender, they all ran towards our lines in a reckless charge and for their recklessness we cut them down with a hail of arrows and thunder.

When our lines collided it turned into a bloody melee that went for two days without end. The griffons fought on until finally they had enough and retreated, leaving behind their wounded and dying as they retreated south.

So many were screaming in agony and in pain, all of them were screaming for help, crying for someone to ease the pain but in the end we let their cries of anguish go unheard.

We simply left them to die while we grabbed our own wounded and dying and did all that we could to either ease their passing or to try and save them from death's door. Some of them we managed to bring back from the brink of the abyss, others on the other hand were not so lucky as them.

Crossing the frozen wastes I strode into the griffon camp, my eyes catching sight of numerous scorch marks and piles of ashes that was strewn about, the untimely remains of numerous griffon officers, their food supplies, their war drugs and other concoctions were set ablaze along with their supplies of javelins and arrows. I made sure to burn as much as I could before I got caught and I must say it was amusing to see the griffons running around like a chicken with its head cut off.

But enough of the past for the time being, I have to wake up and tell the empire that we will be having company soon, and they must prepare themselves for any kind of eventuality.

Closing my eyes and concentrating for the slightest of moments I forced myself to awake back to the real world and with my eyes opening I saw Forge sleeping on my chest, her head resting underneath my chin and with her sleeping came the snoring and drooling.

I love Forge to death but the few things about her that irks me is that her snoring is far worse than Celestia's and if you have ever heard that mare snore then then you would think that is easy to sleep through when compared to Forge, its like a god damn manticore nest of sleeping beasts! And don't even get me started on her drooling, when a little pony drools it looks adorable, cute even, but when Forge drools its like a freaking leaky faucet that reeks of morning breath!

Although I love this mare to death this is one of the few things that irks me, the other being the constant rubbing against me whenever we are walking outside the palace, her sleeping on top of me and leaving me unable to move without waking her up, her constant attempts to fight me to see who is the dominant partner and lastly that she always gets into a fight with the ponies I work with.

And speaking of her getting into a fight with the ponies I work with...

With me awake and being unable to move to see what is going on, I heard the door leading to my chambers slowly get pushed open I saw nothing but Forge's horn glow its luminescent orange color just as I heard her ancestral battle axe rattle off the floor before being tossed at the door, a meep of fear as I hear the blade sink into the wall beside the crystal pony's head.

"Go away, give us five more minutes..." I heard my giant mare mutter out as she snuggles more onto my chest, her mane falling onto my face as I try to blow her greasy yet floral scented mane off of my face.

"Forge, get your lazy fat flank up! It is three in the afternoon already! We have to go and address the ponies out there that everything will be alright and that we will be passing out the rations soon." A dark silver pony slowly trotted into the room, a hum of magic filled the air and for a moment the axe that was thrown into the wall wiggled in place before detaching itself from its prison in the wall and allowed it to drop to the floor with a clang before trotting closer to the bed.

"You know you should really stop leaving your things lying on the ground, somepony might trip on them and seriously hurt themselves." The mare said with a huff before placing the large weapon off to the side, leaning it against the wall so it doesn't fall down and accidentally hurt somebody.

"Oh piss off Quill...your cheery voice is annoying me and I rather not buck your skull into pieces so early in the morning..."

"Forge, you have been sleeping on your husband for the past four hours, it is time to get up and greet the day! Or in your case, greet the afternoon with a smile on your muzzle and some pep in your step!"

"I hate you so much sometimes it makes me wonder why I even bother to talk to you..."

"You bother to even talk to me because if it wasn't for me then your precious mead from your clan would still be stuck in some warehouse in the city instead of sitting in the kitchen cellar." I hear the mare say as she looks down at me with a smirk before shaking her head.

Looking up at the silver grey mare I can tell exactly who this was, Glittering Quill, Celestia and Luna's secretary before they left the palace when Sombra usurped the throne. She stayed behind because she wasn't going to leave her family's home for the past two centuries.

"Morning Skolas, sleep well?"

"Yeah Quill, I slept well...would have been better if a certain mare would stop drooling on me though." I said while snickering to myself before getting clocked upside the head with a horn.

"I heard that."

Laughing to myself I pat Forge on the flank with my small hand, making it feel larger than it actually was but I don't care, that flank belongs to me and I am going to abuse the hell out of it! Or until Forge decides to try and fight for who gets to lead next time in the bedroom.

"Easy there little lady, remember last time you touched me with your horn in such a manner?"

"Yeah, it ended up in your mouth."

"And do you remember what happened after that?"

"No, was too busy enjoying it to really pay attention." Well at least she was being honest about it, guess I have to remind her at a later date and time.

Looking back at Quill I can see her cheeks tinted red and that she was still standing there hearing everything that was being said between the two of us.

How lovely...

"Erm...Skolas, Forge, I know this is private and intimate and all but...can you please at least wait for me to leave the room before you start the heavy petting? I rather not get caught in the crossfire unlike last time..." Quill said as she shivered in place.

I don't exactly recall when she was even near the two of us when Forge and I last had sex but if she is shivering I can guess that she was stuck in the room and couldn't reach the exit in time when Forge placed a muffling spell on the room along with a magical lock on the door to prevent anyone from interrupting us.

"Sorry Quill, you know how it is."

"Yeah, I do, Chisel and I used to do such thing but ever since the griffons attacked...may his soul rest in peace." The dark silver mare said, bowing her head low and letting out a sorrowful sigh before resuming her old chipper self.

"Anyways I need you Forge to come with me and help out the others with the rations. And you Skolas, Bastion needs to have a word with you regarding your wardens, apparently one came back with news."

"Is it good news or bad news?"

"If I may speak freely about the matter?"

"Go ahead."

"Er hrm...The news is up shit creek without a paddle and the canoe is sinking."

"Ah, I guess the warden found it than...perfect." I mumbled to myself as I recalled one of two things that can only be declared 'shit creek without a paddle' and I know for a fact that one of them is in this very palace, rotting in a prison cell.

The other is in the main warden fort off in the wilderness far outside and away from Providence.

"And what did they find exactly?"

"Something that needs to remain buried and forgotten, there are things of this world that shouldn't be released upon the world ever again. I had to kill this beast four times and each time he got smarter and more accustomed to my tactics until finally I had to bring a damn mountain on top of him just to keep him from coming back." And I lost several wardens trying to track and trap him the other three times.

Fucking goat bastard, may his ass forever rot in hell.

"I see, well I won't prod you any further for any information, just get Forge to get up somehow and tell her to meet me in the foyer. Have a good day, sir." Quill said as she gave me a short bow before leaving my room and closing the door behind her, leaving me alone with Forge once more.

Looking down at Forge I can see that she shut her eyes once again and was clearly faking the appearance of being asleep while making fake sleeping sounds.

Shaking my head in amusement I gently shook the sleeping mare resting on top of me, hoping that it gets her attention but it instead made her let out a snort and went back to nuzzling into the crook of my neck and resumed her false sleeping.

"Forge, if you don't get up now I will zap you somewhere that hardly see's the light of day!" I said the thinly veiled threat as I prepared myself to vanish out from underneath her.

"No you won't...your too nice to do such a thing...go back to sleep, your so warm..." My mare said as she snuggled even more into me, and before I could enact my plan to escape and greet the day I felt a pair of hooves securely wrap themselves around my back.

This isn't going to end well.

Before I could stop myself from teleporting we both vanished in a distorting blink of blue light before reappearing above the bed, but this time with me on top of Forge.

'Uh oh'

When gravity returned to the two of us we fell back to the bed and for a moment I thought this was going to end well but instead when we made contact with the bed with our combined weight along with the fall broke all four legs holding the bed up.

Perfect, now I need a new bed.

Looking down at Forge I saw that she was glaring at me weakly, mumbling obscurities at me as I manage to pry her hooves off of me before getting up and out of bed. The mare in my bed eventually grumbled some more before finally getting up and letting out a yawn before wiping the line of drool from her muzzle with a hoof, her eyes blinking owlishly just as she lets out a yawn.

"You suck Skolas, you know that right?"

I could only snicker to myself before nodding at her as I got myself dressed, the bandages on me haven't been replaced yet but that could wait until I have made my rounds and checked in with the guards patrolling the city, securing it from any would-be usurpers that might still be around and are under Sombra's orders to retake the city in the event that he is unable to get all of it under control.

Putting on my battle armor and cape and giving my mare a kiss on the cheek and wishing her good luck I left my room and made my way towards the war room, the wardens and I called it the Hive and not because it reminds us of the changelings. No we called it that because during the war and whenever the wardens were using that chamber it was always bustling with activity and ponies going to and fro places along with carrying sensitive documents about operations and other things that we have been doing.

Ever since we won our war against the griffons the war room sort of fell into disrepair, Celestia and Luna thought that this was going to be the only war that would ever threaten their kingdom but I knew that was just nothing more than a pipe dream and wishful thinking, war is inevitable and that it will happen again eventually, it was only a matter of time which the three of us have but they refused to heed my words.

Now look what happened Celestia, Luna, you had a hidden war brewing within your kingdom with ponies taking sides on who should rule the kingdom because of how incompetent you two are, and guess who finally just won? It only took us a thousand plus years to do so but hey, I still won in the end.

Soon I stood in front of the war room, I had two of my wardens in their tactical armor, chainmail with padding underneath to prevent the chains from pinching their fur with hardened hoof guards so they can stand on objects that would normally pierce unprotected hooves with ease along with the ability to strike things much harder. My wardens also had a variety of weapons to chose from but they were all required to carry with them a standard issued set, a gladius for slashing flesh and other soft targets, a mace to break heavy armor or hardened bone and scales and lastly an axe to either behead their target and/or to gather firewood during their missions in the wilderness. Along with what they usually carry I had them also carry with them some other things that I think are important, torches, flint and steel, medical bandages and alcohol to disinfect, a small telescope and lastly a single blackpowder urn for emergencies only.

The two I had posted to guard the war room however, they were given six of the blackpowder urns and all six of them are meant to kill crowds of armored targets, especially effective if they are in a hallway like this one, with no windows for them to jump out of to escape the impending death of the explosion and its proxy effect on them.

Getting caught in an explosion sucks because of the concussive blast and the heat and pressure from it. Getting caught in an explosion while also getting pelted by molten hot round metal balls? Excruciating pain if you manage to survive the initial blast and shrapnel.

I nodded to the two wardens as they returned the nod with a crisp salute before returning to what they were last doing which was keeping their eyes on the hallways for any sign of intruders.

Pushing the doors open to the war room I saw that the few wardens that were here have been busy for the most part. I watched as several of my crystal ponies trotted to and fro the room from one end to the other, passing reports, giving sealed letters to one my letter readers to see who is a credible threat to the empire and who is just a bystander.

Looking at each and every single individual pony in the room, some of them are still recruits but a few I can easily tell are seasoned soldiers, one of them was even a veteran due to taking out a dragon that was terrorizing one of the outlying villages on the border. Naturally he got hurt when he fought it but the dragon got it worse, it doesn't have a head anymore.

Walking over to the old stallion who was coordinating everything going on in the room I watched silently as he told the ponies around him what to do even though none of them should but they are doing it anyways to get their work done in an orderly manner.

"You two over there! Set those letters down over there beside Blank Scroll so she can see if any of them are from Sombra's subordinates, only she can find the hidden messages within his letters. And you over there! Help Bronze Widget put those crates down over there by the corner then go back and help Crucio remove the curses on those tomes! We can't let anypony read them while they are cursed and they might contain more evidence on Sombra's illicit actions against the kingdom along with his motives for turning to black magic!"

The old codger, He was once so spry for a pony pushing sixty but when you have your life force drained to test someone's resolve in their cause only for it backfire completely when I ended winning after our hiatus in stasis. For a dark brown stallion that has seen his prime years far behind him, this guy can still kick somepony's ass and do it with a grin on his muzzle, a veteran of the griffon war along with several incursions against the changelings whenever they try to set up shop within the towns and villages.

I already have his retirement party ready for him, I have to pick the date and time for it but other from that I am sure that Bastion Wall will be able to enjoy the rest of his life with his wife and children without having to make his wife worry about him never coming home whenever he goes out on a outer-city patrol or if another war happens.

"I see you are keeping the young ones busy Bastion, anything to report?"

"Yes sir, I do have something to report but it is not meant for the rank and file to hear."

"Hmm, let us have this talk in the inner room."

"Yes, let us, sir."

The two of us left the war room behind us as we walked into the inner room, the same room where Celestia, Luna and I made our discussion to have the wardens placed into the army as a special operations division. Luna had some reservations on putting ponies that didn't have the princess's at the top of their priority list along with the fact that they have killed wild monsters and ponies before.

Once we were in the room I heard the doors close behind us before locking, the two of us were now alone and secured in here.

Turning around I looked down at the captain of the crystal guards as he looked back at me and started to explain the situation to me.

"Sir, we have yet to locate the Crystal Heart although we know it is somewhere within the palace. You and I both know that without it that the kingdom will be doomed to slowly slide back into an endless winter that will consume everything that we have worked so hard to secure and keep safe from Sombra and the griffons. Finding that artifact is the only thing that matters at this point, if we can find it and place it back onto its pedestal then everything will resolve itself in time." Bastion said as he pulled out a map from his militarized saddlebags and placed it on the table before rolling it out flat.

Walking to the table I looked down at it and saw that it was the palace schematics, it listed all the floors along with every single room and where they are located on each floor.

"We have already checked every single room on all five floors, from top to bottom we looked high and low and yet we couldn't even find a single fifty pound heart shaped chunk of pure arcana crystal!"

Yeah, how does one somehow manage to lose a massive crystal shaped heart in a palace that always has ponies and myself walking through it on a daily basis?

"Hmm...so you and the guards checked everywhere, correct?" I said as I looked at each floor, my eyes looking for places where Sombra has frequented on a daily basis, taking note and leaving little widgets where he has been for the longest time.

The throne room, his room, the public bathroom on the second floor, the archives, the alchemical storage rooms, the dungeon and the library...hmm I wonder...

"Bastion, I think I might have an idea on where Sombra might have hidden it."

"Where?"

"I don't know precisely per say but I know that he must have used dark magic to hide it somewhere so it wouldn't be found by any conventional means so easily."

"Dark magic?"

"Yes, dark magic, there are only five people in the entire world that is capable of it, one of them has been de-horned and is rotting in the dungeons below, the other two have fled the empire when Sombra staged his coup, another is dead and frozen deep beneath the earth and the last person is me."

"But what is dark magic? I have never heard of this school of magic before."

"Bastion, Dark Magic is a forbidden school of magic because of how corrupting it is. What it does is that it channels your anger and hatred into a single spell before unleashing it upon your enemies, this was how curses and hexes were created. Although to you ponies it will slowly corrupt you from within and whittle away at your sanity to the point where you go mad from either the power going to your head or from the things that you might see when you gaze into the darkness."

"Why would you create such magic if you knew what it could do to others and yourself?"

"Because my people were mutilated when we were betrayed by our gods. They abandoned us to an unfortunate fate and because of it we're permanently scarred and in our anger we made it as a means of lashing out against the ones who made us who we are. The things I am capable of doing is in its own right a horrifying thing to behold."

Looking down at Bastion I saw his face scrunch up for a moment, probably imagining the things that could have happened to someone that might have angered in the past before shuddering, probably that imagination of his turning against him.

"I would hate to see what you did to the griffons and I would absolutely hate what you do to anyone that would dare insult your wife in your presence."

"Bastion, if someone insulted my wife with me there I am more than positive that Forge would tear the offender a new one before giving me a turn to do the same thing before she takes over and tears them another asshole." I said in confidence and for a moment I could only imagine the offender being verbally abused by Forge with me scaring the shit out of them and just when the person in question thinks it is over, in comes Forge and the resulting mess is deeply amusing.

I married one hell of a dynamite gal.

"Yes, I do believe that Forge could easily handle anything that comes her way but we have gone off topic and away from our task. Why is this dark magic important to our search for the Crystal Heart?"

Looking back down at the map I placed a finger on the throne room and started to wonder if it was there of all places.

"How long can the empire last with its current stock of preserved food rations?" I asked my friend as I looked at the other places that Sombra has periodically visited in the past.

"Three months...maybe four months if we really stretched it, why?"

"...wondering...hmm...seems like I have no choice in the matter then..."

"Skolas, what are you planning?"

"Nothing Bastion...nothing...just thinking on the choices I have at the moment and when I see what lies before me, almost all the options are bad or worse with one exception. I am afraid however that if I pick that particular choice than it might either cause an incident or another uprising from the ponies still living here." I mumbled for a moment before clearing myself up, I don't know which to pick that is the lesser of two evils.

Do I let in the equestrians from the south come into my lands, providing medical aid and emergency food supplies at the cost of allowing Celestia and Luna back home, or do I try to hold out as long as we can, find the crystal heart on our own, restore the land back to what it once was and make it fertile again for farming and pray to whatever god that is listening at the moment that nothing bad happens to us, or some combination of the two happens.

Looking at it now I can say that I know for a fact that when I made contact with Luna in my dream a while ago, I know that she has probably told her sister that I have returned and probably that Sombra is back as well, which would mean that they are assembling an attack force to accompany them in order to put him down and to reclaim the empire for themselves.

I am not going to stand here and watch as I lose everything that I have worked so hard just to acquire and defend to a pair of idiots who didn't see Sombra turning against them.

If I have to I will allow them to enter the empire, help with the relief effort, watch Sombra pay for his crimes before going home. I will not surrender the throne to them even if they use that 'We were friends' card on me.

I earned this throne and crown, I will not watch it slip from my fingers and slide to a pair of hooves.

"Bastion, gather a detachment of guards and meet me in the throne room."

"For what sir?"

"To find the crown, I do believe that if my hunch is correct, then we just might get through this after all with relative ease."

Gazing back at the map, my eyes casting a glare at the throne room, I could only see the throne itself sitting at the very back of the room, almost like a beacon shining bright in the coming darkness with a single prismatic crystal sitting at the top of it.

Is it really that simple?

Was it hidden there all along?

Only one way to find out now...nothing ventured...nothing gain.

Pushing away from the table I left the chamber after pushing the heavy doors open and walked out of the war room, my destination was my seat of power and the crystal sitting on top of it. If my theory is correct then I will only need to worry about magical traps and climbing flights of near-endless stairs.


Far from the Crystal Empire to the south, a division of ponies wearing gold armor a hundred strong stood at attention, all of them waiting at a train station for their ride to arrive. Waiting beside them was both of their princesses, Celestia and Luna, and both of them are wearing armor that hasn't seen the light of day in over a thousand years let alone used in over a thousand years.

As the division of equestrian royal guards wait for their ride and their rulers stand beside them, another pair of ponies stand beside them, recently married and just came back from their honeymoon in Las Pegasus, Cadance, the Princess of Love and her husband Shining Armor, the Captain of the Royal Guard. The two were happily talking to one another as they trotted beside princesses of the sun and the moon, unaware of what they are talking about when they arrived.

"...Now sister I know you are happy that our friend Skolas has returned but we mustn't worry about him. We must take care of Sombra first before we can worry about whatever else is wrong with the crystal kingdom." The older sister said to the younger sister as they both shuffle on their hooves, restless with what that is about to happen.

"But sister We can not let Skolas fight him alone! Have you not seen what Sombra has done to us when we last fought us? We know we are far stronger than he is but We fear that he might have gotten stronger in our absence and in his vanished state." The younger sister said back, her thoughts clouded with what was said between herself and her long lost friend earlier that day.

"I know that but...what if he turns against us? We have already sealed Discord in stone and he too was once our friend before his unfortunate madness. I just don't wish to see you sad if we have to fight him."

"We know sister...we kn-"

"Who are you talking about? Is it an old colt friend of yours?" A much younger voice said from behind them and with a turn of their heads they saw just exactly who was talking to them.

"No neice, it isn't an old colt friend, well for me anyways but my little Luna? I should think so." Celestia said with a wry grin as she teased her little sister.

"Sister! I thought we decided that Skolas was not my coltfriend! He is a happily married stallion and that my time to earn his affection has long sinced passed!" Luna shouted as she bopped her sister upside the head with a wing, earning a chuckle from Celestia ana Cadance as Shining Armor could only shake his head and silently laugh himself at what was going on.

"Oh come now Luna you know I am just playing with you!"

"Well stop! It is embarrassing enough that you have to remind me of my chances with him...if only he hadn't went with that mare..." Luna mumbled as she crossed her hooves and to her older sister and her neice, the two thought she looked adorable while pouting, even with a set of ancient looking armor strapped to her frame.

"Anyways is everypony ready to go?"

"Not yet Luna, we have to wait for my student and her friends to arrive and once they show up we can board the train and head north. Or as far north as we can go seeing how we haven't finish the railroad leading that deep into the north yet." Celestia said as she shuffled on her hooves, nervous for what will be happening soon.

As the four of them conversed with one another, off in the distance a steady plume of smoke made its way towards them, small clouds of the stuff approaching them at a steady pace and before long a train comes into view. The Friendship Express in all of its glory, and aboard its cars was six ponies and a young dragon, all of them talking to one another as they disembarked from their train raide to Canterlot.

"I hope they are ready Luna."

"We hope so as well, although they have faced Discord and Chrysalis relatively unharmed, I fear that Sombra will not be so merciful or gentle with them."

When the six mares stopped in front of the royal sisters they bowed down along with the young dragon, showing respect to the princesses before standing back up with the exception of one mare who stood up and hugged ther solar alicorn.

"It has been a while Twilight since I last saw you." The solar alicorn said as she hugged the young lavender unicorn with her wings.

"I know Princess Celestia but it is good to see you again! What is happening if you had to call all of us here along with the Elements of Harmony? Is Discord on the loose again? Is Chrysalis back? Some other evil at hoof?" The young lavender mare said as she looked around, praying to Faust above that none of the ponies in question that she listed off was on the loose once again.

"No my faithfull student, nothing of the sort. For the time being we must discuss with you a matter of utmost emergency, but not here, let us go onto the train so we can talk about this matter in a more...private setting." Celestia said as she directed a wing back at the train and for a moment it was lost on them until they saw the massive gathering of royal guards along with their princesses wearing battle armor for the first time in ages.

And with that said all ten ponies plus one baby dragon went onto the Friendship Express, soon following behind them was the division of royal guards, their mission clear and their goal within sight for as long as they have their princesses beside them, anything is possible.

Saving the Crystal Kingdom from a mad tyrant.

If only if they knew exactly what they were getting themselves into.