• Published 2nd May 2012
  • 2,443 Views, 48 Comments

Through Loyalty and Love - Damocles23



Pinkie and Dash, on the run from the law. Shipping, self-aware humor and perils ahoy!

  • ...
5
 48
 2,443

Chapter 6: Contrived Coincidences

Through Loyalty and Love

By Damocles23

Chapter 6: Contrived Coincidences

I love you.

In that suffocating darkness, that was the only thing she could think of.

Come to think of it, she always thought these three little words whenever she found herself in dark place.Be it in her bedroom in a cold, lonely night when she couldn’t sleep even saying them out loud a lot of times before realizing she was making out with her pillow or kept in the embrace of the pegasus she wanted to say these words, while being enveloped in a dark purple hue by Celestia knows what .


Now she was really sure of that.

Everything that was between them was put to a test. Dash wasn’t perfect (and those little outbursts of her kinda proved it) but she was still the bravest, coolest,awesomest pegasus she ever knew. Still the hero for everypony, or at least for Pinkie.

All of the petty, hateful, silly things they said to each other seemed insignificant by the virtue of one of the few things that truly reminded them of their friendship and,time and time again, always did; a big pack of scary monsters from out of nowhere.

That sounded surreal even for her but that’s how it was. She noted to herself that she and Dash should have a little talk about the whole “Going to the Everfree Forest to hide” thing. Nevertheless they made it (for a while at least, but that’s beside the point)…and more importantly, together!

At the end of the day Dashie trusted her, she really trusted her as she always had and that meant the world to Pinkie, even if in that faithful night that trust was stupendously misplaced. And in such an awesome way, we might add. Not only their teamwork saved the both of them, but she felt part of Dash’s life like never before.That was probably because it was the first time Rainbow ever let her fly on her back, or anypony else for that matter.

Rarity always said that this was the most romantic thing another pegasus could do for a partner of another pony race. The sensation of flying was so something so beautiful and sublime that pegasioften overlooked it by the virtue of it being such a common occurrence, so having your special somepony with you could help both of them to fully realize the magnificence of soaring through the sky, feeling the wind caressing your coat…

She only found the time to think about it in those interminable seconds of darkness. In fact, whenever something happened or was going to happen to both of them time seemed to slow down, allowing her to go down of a tangent. Kinda sad, too, since most of her thoughts lately were starting to become really contorted and depressing.

But this had stopped!Something changed and for the better…Well, shadow monsters aside.

Even in their darkest hour,Dash trusted Pinkie until the end of the world…Or theirs, which could approximately be in five seconds.

She promised to herself, Pinkie Promised even, that if they make she wouldn’t be a burden for Rainbow, ever again.

Scratch that “if”.

They will make it.

And when they will make it, because they totally will, she’ll live up to the name of Pinkamena Diane Responsibility Pie. The responsibility part, duh. She changed it legally after the first time she babysitted the twins, just to make a statement. Oh, was that day hilarious and strangely prophetic, too!

It was her fault that they ended up in this mess, deluding herself further with all this “partners in crime” thing was just silly. For the sake of the friend she loved and admired so dearly and for the trust Dash put in her,she’d do anything in her power to not make her regret the choice of staying with Pinkie again. She pretty much got that even if Dash’s words were twisted by rage at that point but she didn’t care. In that moment, she loved Rainbow Dash. Not that just a simple, foalish crush as it started. Something that started from the little thingsan infatuation Pinkie always saw as natural, a little crush that could be more than justified if the object of that was somepony as popular and wonderful as Rainbow Dash, but love, real love that she never felt for anything or anypony in her life and the best part of it that for that love she could really pull it off. Pinkie knew that she couldn’t give Dash her old life back but she would’ve given her the rest of the world if she asked, or whatever she may ask. She wanted to take care of Dash as she wanted to do for her.

Pinkie couldn’t pretend that Dash could feel the same about her,not even for a second but she, once again, didn’t care! If she could make at least one pony happy, let alone the one she loved, that was enough for her. And, after all, since when did love need something in return? Just thinking at the pegasus’ warm smile made Pinkie melt with joy… Only to see her smiling,it was all worthy. A reward in itself, like it always was. Rainbow was really cute while doing that but Pinkie never had the courage to tell that to her face. Come to think of it, she never even had the courage to never ever speak about her true feelings, until it was too late…Her only regret was having this kind of determination now instead of mustering up the courage to confess without resorting to that stupid prank of which she couldn’t even remember how it worked, expect for the fact that Pinkie surely didn’t expect to have such a disastrous outcome.

Which part of stop thinking back on that do you not understand, Pinkie Pie?

She finally prepared herself to face their destiny, as the darkness enveloped both ponies fully, painting itself on the starry night sky.

Then silence fell over them.

There was only silence.An unnerving, unnatural silence that muted even the sound of her thoughts, heart and breathing.

The only thing that reminded Pinkie she still existed was Dash’s tight, protective embrace. The strength of those forelegs, and the warmth of the pegasus’ fur were so lulling and comforting.

She hoped to feel that embrace once again, even if for a brief moment.Her eyes were shut tight, mostly because of the overwhelming tension on her body and the fact she wasn’t even sure to have eyes in that place. She didn’t panic, though. Pinkie couldn’t afford it. If it was true there was nothing out there, how could nothing hurt her?

After uncountable seconds and a bright flash of white that she could even see through her closed eyelids, the pressure subsided. As she reopened her eyes, the first thing she saw was Rainbow’s face. She didn’t look hurt or anything but was unmistakably unconscious. Her eyes closed and her mouth half open, with a trail of drool at the side of her mouth. She was still breathing as Pinkie could notice as she was still locked in Rainbow’s forelegs and felt the other mare’s chest rhythmic movement. Her wings were limp and instead of being naturally folded, lying horizontally on the ground.

The ground was the second of her concerns, trying to understand where they were- From a first look it looked a street…Asphalt…, maybe? Also, she noticed beneath her, cramped against her spine was a saddlebag. Her saddlebag!The one for which she fought those frustrating creatures. How could she not? She brought the most important thing for her, the one she truly couldn’t give up, not even for those monsters. Especially not for those monsters!

Once again, it was dark only this time the light of the stars were replaced by a gloom streetlight.As her eyes adjusted to the new environment she recognized the sight of an alley…A filthy, dark alley…Great, she thought, is this night getting worse by the HOUR?! She gently removed the pegasus forelegs from her neck and tried to get back onto her hooves. She tried to stand on all fours as she found herself deprived of all energy, her legs trembling like a jelly. She attempted to make a few steps in a straight line but to no avail, eventually she hopedto wakeher friend by trying to shaking her a bit with a hoof. Rainbow wasunfazed, still out cold. She started to shake Dash faster, proportional to her worry until the pegasus emitted a too familiar and alarming sound.

A snore.

A loud, inelegant snore.

Celestia bless her for thinking that now was a good moment for dozing off.

Pinkie sighed in relief, with a weak smile to accompany the sentiment. She tried to walk once again, this time trying to find something or somepony to help. Easier said than done; she felt so weak and confused that she couldn’t even walk like a normal pony, every step was as challenging as dancing the Marigold underwater while playing the tuba…On fire! And Pinkie surely didn’t practice the last part. Not enough time.

She wandered off in that strange posture for a while until she heard a voice in the dark coming froma nearby crossroad.

“Hey, you okay?” the voice asked.

Pinkie tried to answer but the sapping of her natural energies wasn’t limited to her legs but also her vocal chords. She hated those things in the forest more and more!It was like they were targeting one by one the things she needed the most. She had to check her Cutie Mark, Celestia forbid they took that too.

Trying to catch some breath she leaned toward a nearby wall. Just a few seconds, only to gather some strength.

Just a few moments, don’t look suspicious, it’s not like she’s coming here to check out a pony who looks like she had a beating…


She heard a sound of hoofsteps leaning closer to her.

Rats.

The other pony put her forelegs around her shoulders to help Pinkie support herself. She took a glance at her face, hoping for a friendly face.What she saw in front of herwas a white unicorn with a messy blue-electric mane and a pair of pale shades, from behind of which she could assume a pair of eyes curiously looking at her. She was sure she already saw that face somewhere, but she couldn’t just focus properly, until the unicorn spoke.

“Whoah, Pinkie Pie! Look at you! Remember me? It’s Scratch! Vinyl Scratch. We haven’t seen like…ages! What happened to you? Do you want me to call for help?”

Of course, the DJ! Now she remembered. Pinkie met her when she came to Ponyville for providing the music for Rarity’s fashion show (the bad one). She really liked her style and Vinyl was probably the only pony, except for Pinkie herself, that liked her dress. She said that it made the pink pony look like an awesome cake and to be careful for birds wanting to take a peck.She always liked that sense of humor. In that brief time they became friends and managed to contact her in time for the great wedding, thinking she was the best mare for the job, before she moved to…Wherever they were at the moment.An unexpected stroke of luck.

Pinkie thoughts immediately went to Dash, who was still in the alley. Her voice still hadn’t returned to its usual tone but at least managed to blurt out something that mattered.

“My friend…Help my friend first…”

“Friend?she replied “Who?Where?”

“Alley…” Pinkie answered, her voice faint.

Vinyl glanced to where Pinkie came from and went down the alley, before assuring that Pinkie could still stand on her own. Pinkie then heard a gasp coming from the unicorn behind her.

“What the hay happened to her?!”

She managed to take a few normal steps, towards the alley, beginning to regain her strength.About time, too.

“They tried to rob us! Yes, rob us blind! And they hit her, too!” She had to lie. She reminded herself they technically still were on the run. And the true explanation was, quite frankly, really hard to believe. Well, Pinkie would’ve believed it but she couldn’t say the same for Scratch.

The word “Manehattan” hit Pinkie like a brick for the stupor. They planned to go there to hide but being transported right there via some crazy magic monster of the Everfree Forest was almost too convenient. But you know how they say, never look into a horse’s mouth.

“She isn’t waking up soon” said Scratch, “unless…”

Pinkie heard a loud thud, then a rough voice that cracked almost to the point of straining itself. A very familiar voice…

“Ouch! What the hay was that for? And…Hey! Who are you?!”

“Rise and shine, filly! It’s not a…Grooorgh!”

In response to the horrifying noise, Pinkie precipitated herself to separate the two before Dash strangled the unicorn. She immediately launched between them, keeping Dash and Vinyl from each other with her forelegs on the chests of both. It seemed to her like pushing back an advancing wall.

Pinkie’s voice volume went from zero to a gazillion in a second, in a frantic attempt to control the situation.

“OHMYGOSHDASHIEWAITWAIT!”

“This joker hit me, Pinkie! Who the hay is that?!”

“Should’ve woken you up with a kiss, maybe?” Vinyl flashed a mischievous grin.

“Why, you little…” She almost ran over Pinkie like one of those raging buffalos from that one time. Vinyl sticking her tongue out at the pegasus didn’t help.

“Please, Dashie! It’s a friend! Calm down!”

“Well, your friends are jerks!” she interrupted, leaning even further toward Vinyl to the point that she saw her reflection in her shades.

“Yes, they totally are”, replied the unicorn, still flashing that grin.

Pinkie rolled her eyes and, still trapped between the two even though only Dash was pushing, silently counted down the seconds before Rainbow realized the extent of how much Vinyl was screwing with her.

In fact, Rainbow stopped for a second, her gaze wandering around a bit and her hoof under her chin to think. Then, the realization arrived. And with that…

“You take that back or…” before finishing the phrase she tried to fly of some inches upwards but she only managed to flap her wings awkwardly and weakly before falling flatly onto her haunches.After a moment of pure disbelief, her eyes staring in the void in front of her, she took a look at her wings.They were limp. She sighed.

“Spectacular…”, she sounded almost…disappointed rather than worried.As if she was expecting this and was supremely annoyed.

“Woah. Those muggers surely were something.” said Vinyl impressed, lowering her shades a bit and showing her magenta eyes.

“Muggers? What muggers?”

“Is she always like that or is it way worse than it looks?” The snappy response elicited an angry glare from Dash.

“Thoooose muggers, Dashie!” she unsubtly blinked at Rainbow Dash, signaling her to support the story. “Remember those meanymeanbags who tried to steal your stuff and hit you because Manehattan is dangerous at night? It happens because this is Manehattan!” She emphasized every word carefully and slowly, particularly ‘Manehattan’, trying to explain everything on the moment hoping that Dash would get it.

Fortunately, even if she was still needed time to digest all the new info, she played along.

“Oooooooohhhhooo”, equal amounts of surprise and anguish could be heard in the exclamation, with just a bit of a whimper near the end. She put on the best fake smile she could muster to continue the charade. “Yeah, big trouble in here.Luckily for them they caught me by surprise but otherwise…Bam!”

“Yeah, lucky them…Anyway, Pinkie Pie!” she took the pink pony aside, putting her foreleg around her shoulders in a friendly way. “You know I’m happy to see you again and from what I can gather, the two of you feel a lot better than before.”

“Yuppers!” Pinkie was smiling again. In fact she felt a lot of better after being exposed to that…Bizarre mean of travel. She had tried before Twilight teleportation spell (with or without Twilight realizing it, actually) but, even if not a magic expert, that was surely a different kind of magic and never with such a distance.

“Like I said, a lot better. Well, I’d be careful with your friend right there, she still has that big case of jerkiness…And that tail doesn’t look good either.”

“Hey!” The angry reaction of the Pegasus was answered by Vinyl with a smarmy giggle.

Even though Vinyl had a point; Dash quickly turned to see the point of her tail looking noticeably shorter and crispier. They almost forgot of that one, mostly because the details were still fuzzy. A point of sadness touched Pinkie’s heart thinking that that too was her fault.

“Anyway”, Vinyl continued. ”I can’t stand to see somepony suffering, especially the one who got me the biggest gig of my life!”

“Oh, you’re too kind!”

“Yes, you are.” Dash answered from behind the two mares. Vinyl blew a raspberry at her.

“Anyway, do you have a place to stay for the night?”

“Hmmm…Actually no.Nothing at all. We just got here!”

“Then, you can stay at my place,even if you feel better I don’t want any risk.And your friend too, of course.”

“Oh, we don’t want to cause you troub…”

“Yes, we do! We totally do! We like trouble!” Dash butted in, interrupting Pinkie.

“See? Your friend, even if a jerk, agrees. It’s a favor from a friend. C’mon, I don’t bite and it’s not that far. Maybe along the way you can tell me what brings you to the Big Apple itself.”

“Oh, thank you! Thankyouthankyou! Thanks a ton! I mean, I know we just saw each other again for such a long time and then we show up and you’re so kind! Thank you!” Pinkie pulled the unicorn in a bone crushing hug, making a little squeaky sound.

“Yes, go on. I had so many hooves on me lately. I’m kind of used to it. And I didn’t need those ribs.” Even if out of breath, the sarcasm was still intact.

“Whoopsie, sorry!” she let go Vinyl as swiftly as she jumped on her.

The three of them went through the streets of Manehattan, with Dash and Pinkie following the unicorn. Pinkie looked with wonder at the Big City just starting its night life, hundreds of ponies walking down the streets enjoying the endless opportunities and entertainment offered to them. Even the looming architectures of the buildings inspired that feeling, much more crowded than Ponyville and looking much moreopulent. She noticed the lack of grass and trees, replaced by streets and houses of stones, a startling chance after living firstin a rock farm and a rural settlement after for so many years.Dash couldn’t care less since she was far more worried about her wings, looking at them nervously and even trying to flap a bitbut to no avail, even making some little jumps to move in a similar way to Pinkie’s. Again, the supremely annoyed look. Pinkie was far more worried with this than Dash who looked at it more like a stain on a carpet than a serious disability. Pinkie was trying to cheer her up but simply couldn’t think what to say. Luckily the silence was broken by Scratch.

“So, what is it? Business, pleasure, on the run from the law?”

The two were immensely startled by that statement. Pinkie froze into place, looking she was going to cry, while Dash started to weakly flap in an attempt to fly away.

“Just joking, girls! Sheesh…”

The two sighed in relief. For a second Pinkie thought that the news traveled faster than Rainbow Dash. As far as they knew not even a day had passed.Unless the princess was already on their tracks, ready to zap them to the moon with solar powered vengeance.

“Oh, you know…” Pinkie chirped.

“Actually I don’t” said Vinyl bluntly.

Pinkie bit her lip, not even trying to stall. “It’s just that boring old village wasn’t enough for the bestest mares in the world so we decided: Hey, where’s that place where everypony who is somepony goes?”

“Trottingham?” Vinyl’s sarcasm reached critical level. Pinkie didn’t get it but she still looked happy.

“No silly, Manehattan.” That’s why we’re here!”

“That’s right!” Dash intervened. “Just some small town isn’t enough for the Dash!”

“They must be weeping at home for your loss…”

Pinkie snorted a laugh for that remark but inside was still sad at the thought of home, gnawing on her…She had to know as soon as possible, sure, but she still didn’t know if it was right calling it “home” again…

“But anyway” Vinyl continued. “I think you made a smart choice. I mean, last time I saw you; you were working for the Princess! Well, the one that counts I mean. You’ve got a bright future ahead, I tell you. I’m just sorry that it had to start that badly for you two.“She pointed at Dash. “Tomorrow morning we’re gonna see a doctor for those wings. And no buts. Don’t even think of saying ‘but’.”

“For once, we agree on something.” Dash sneered.

They finally arrived at the location of Vinyl’s flat. She roughly opened the door to reveal a surprisingly neat apartment, left untouched since Vinyl went out a few hours before. Pinkie snooped around a bit, fairly surprised to see such a clinically clean house. As far as she knew Vinyl never gave her the impression of a control freak.

She was immediately attracted by a photo on her table. It depicted Vinyl, hugging tightly another grey mare with a big grin on her face, while the other pony looked the other way blushing. It was made on a bright summer day and you could see a beach on the background.

“Uh! Is this your…” Pinkie picked up the photo.

“Somepony we’re going to talk about never.” She quickly snatched the photo from Pinkie’s hooves to hide it in a drawer which she slammed closed. Pinkie decided not to press further on the subject. Better not get the only friend she had in Manehattan angry. She eerily returned to her cheerful attitude from before, though.

“Now,” Vinyl said “with the magic of furniture I’ll turn this sofa into a bed for the two of you.”The unicorn used a bit of magic to open it underneath the cushions to whip out its metal frame and a thin mattress.“You don’t have a problem with sleeping together, right? I only have one.”

Pinkie blushed in response, unable to say anything. Dash scoffed at that, thankfully.

“Psssh, big deal. I could sleep anywhere or with anypony. I suppose I should thank you, too.”

“Yes, you should.” The two stared at each other silently, waiting for something to happen, not even making a move. Dash still had that annoyed glare she reserved for Vinyl remarks.

“I’ll go get the blankets”, her voice tone dry.
---

“And it’s done. We’ll talk some more tomorrow. Now I’ve really got to get some sleep… Or get smashed. Don’t make too much noise you two…Or too little, I never remember the right one. Well, nighty-night!”

Vinyl left the room, briefly shedding her easy going self to wear a much more exhausted look if only for a brief second, before slamming the door to her bedroom shut.

Dash was lying on the bed, with all fourlimbs outstretched, staring at the ceiling. Pinkie waited at the side.

“So…Manehattan?”

“Yes, Dashie! You said that it was a good place to hide! Kinda crazy, huh?”

“It’s just so… Convenient!”

“Luckiest coincidence ever!”

“More like contrived!”

“I think I already heard that one…”

“It’s a common saying.”

“Nah. I mean earlier earlier. Probably when you passed out.”

“The thing is…It’s too convenient!”

“Yes, it is!”

“It was almost too easy! Well, scary monsters aside!”

“Huh-uh!”

“Like something or someone out there wanted us to get here as soon as possible!”

“That’s nice of him, though.”

“He could’ve left out the things in the forest. But I still think it was too…Easy! Like bad writing or something.”

Pinkie blinked. “And if we flew here like I said before it would’ve been easier, right?” Pinkie surely sounded sarcastic, not with malice. She only tried to show understanding to Dash.

“Ouch. You hurt me with that one” she said chuckling. “But seriously, I made a lot of stupid decisions since this whole mess started.” She stopped for a second, unable to meet Pinkie’s gaze again and looking gloomy.

“I’m sorry, Pinkie.” She almost whispered.

“Sorry for what?”

“Sorry for everything. For being so distant, for leading us into the forest only to be ambushed by those things that still give me the creeps and for saying a lot of awful things to you even if you’re my friend and…”

“Oh, that one.” She moved her hoof as if to whisk a fly away. “That’s old news, I don’t really care for it anymore.”

“But Pinkie, I…”

“Nuh uh, Dashie! Like you said, we’re friends and friends don’t really think those ugly things even if they say it. And to show it to you that it’s behind us…” she moved her hooves as if she was making an imaginary box, placing imaginary duct tape all over it and, literally, throwing it behind her.

She patted her hooves together satisfyingly.“And done!Things of the past.”

Under the disbelieving, but amused, gaze of Dash Pinkie happily hopped into the bed at her side and with the force of that movement wrapped herself in the blankets.

“You know…” Pinkie started. “I should be sorry for something right now. Your wings,are they…?”

“Nah, no big no deal.” Dash rested her front hooves under her head. Pinkie looked confused.

“I thought that maybe…”

“Broken? Are you serious? Remember that time in the Gorge? Stuck under a rock? Not even a graze.” Dash cockily said.

“Oh, well this time wasn’t a rock! It was some big great magic mumbo-jumbo! What if…”

“Pinkie, I think I know if my wings are broken or not. I don’t feel any pain and all, they’re just… You know when your leg falls asleep or something?”

“Yup!”

“Just that. They just need time to wake up.”

“Oh. Want me to call Scratch? She’s pretty good at waking up things!”

“Very funny. Anyway, I’m made of far tougher stuff than you think. Everypony thinks that my wings are going to break or come off or something.” She chuckled, to underline how ridiculous was the thought for her. “Twilight once explained to me that why I can do a Sonic Rainboom without being reduced into a messy pulp. She showed me all of that crazy calculus that she still thinks make some sense for me but according to science: I. AM. AWESOME!”

Pinkie looked simply amazed “Well, I already knew that but it’s nice to have it proven by the laws of phis...physc…The stuff that proves how…other stuff works.”

“Once I get better, I’ll find a job or something. Maybe the weather team here needs a couple of wings.” She looked distant.
“We’ll just have to lay low for a while.”

“Oh, well. Until then I’ll just have to take care of you” said Pinkie completely cheerful even though inside she really meant that.

Dash laughed a bit. “Oh, yeah. Responsibility is your third name! Even I tried to stop you on that one...Wait, don’t tell me you’re serious?”

“Oh, I am serious. Cross my heart and hope to fly stick a cupcake in my eye.” Pinkie looked indeed serious, almost frowning while making that statement. She wasn’t used to it because she always found natural to always smile, even in serious situations. “I will take care of you until you’re better, Dashie! I Pinkie-Promise you.”

Dash blinked, astonished. “Let’s get some sleep. Or at least I should try. I’m still a bit shaken from all of what happened…I mean, it’s bucking Manehattan!”

“Oh, speaking of sleeping…” Pinkie remembered thatshe still had that saddlebag. She guessed it was the right moment. Not the optimal one, but at least she hoped it would make Dash happy, if only a little bit.

She whipped out a brown, rectangular envelope and put in Rainbow’s hooves.She eagerly opened it revealing something that, from the longing look, she wasn’t expecting at all.

It was a book, a book with a luscious illustration of an adventurous mare struggling to defeat a monstrous giant snake that was trying to crush her in its spires. In such a tense situation the brown, scantily clad pegasus only smiled in defiance.

And so was Dash. A big wide grin that almost split her face in half and caused her pupils to shink.

“This is… Daring Do and the Sanctuary of Sorrow?!”

“Yes, indeed-y”Pinkie said proudly.

“But…How? Is not even out yet…You got it from…the future?”

“Almost, Dashie! You see, Twilight buys books and knows where to find books. And I know ponies who knowhow to find even more books and ponies who knows ponies that write books…And that’s it.”

“And…This is for me, right?” Dash sounded incredulous.

“Well, duh! I don’t like Daring Do very much, but you like it a lot and you like reading it before sleeping and so…What do you think of it?”

“It’s awesome but…Wait a minute. It’s that saddlebag?”

Pinkie let a nervous laugh. A mixture of embarrassment and pride in it.

“The one that you beat up two monsters for it?The same?”

“Well…It was a gift for you.” She lowered her gaze to the floor. “If we really had to run away, you probably wouldn’t see a Daring Do novel for a long time and I didn’t want you to be sad and…”

“Thanks, Pinkie.” She cut off the pink pony quickly. “I don’t know what to say…” Her smile got warmer and kinder than ever. A look of tenderness could be seen in her eyes. “You’re always so kind to me and everypony else, even now…” She almost blushed, only to immediately pout to hide that moment of weakness, with her cheeks puffing up awkwardly. Pinkie always found that adorable. “I guess being stuck with you isn’t that bad.”

“Wow! And if brought you the author next time?”

“I would kiss you so hard, right on those lips!”

An awkward silence followed, the two mares looked in each other’s eyes…Only to burst out laughing like crazy, almost suffocating for trying to keep the noise at the bare minimum. Even though Vinyl’s words weren’t particularly clear on the volume but whatever.

“Yeah, right.” Dash was kicking her hind legs while keeping her belly. “And then what? Snow in April?!”

“Yeah!” Pinkie snorted as well. “But only after a date! I’m not that kind of girl, you know!”

While saying those words, she recalled all of her new resolutions, especially the part of staying at Dash’ side not pretending anything romantic in return. Pinkie also wanted to smash her own face against the wall.

“You don’t mind if I read a bit before sleeping?”

“You don’t even have to ask! And by the way…” she picked a little flashlight from the saddlebag. “I don’t think you can read in the dark! You’re not that awesome.”

“Thanks Pinkie. Good Night!” she lighted the flashlight and began reading as Pinkie laid on her side, trying to get some sleep. She thought back on the book. Originally she wanted to give to give it to Dash after their hypothetical first date but that kinda went out the window. Still, it served its original purpose: make Dashie happy, if only for a while-

Pinkie woke up after a while, finding herself cramped on her own side, her forelegs curled against her chest,not even thinking to take more space that she deserved from Dash, with her back to the pegasus. Not even wanting to turn or move as not to disturb her sleep in any way. Dash was snoring softly, the book still lying open, carefully put on her chest.
Pinkie, trying to not make any sound, not even breathing too loudly, turned to see her sleeping friend. Dash had a peaceful expression on her face,notcaringabout every hardship they had to face until now; her mouth still opened a bit as she usually did, with the usual tray of drool on the side. Pinkie giggled a bit thinking that at least one of them was unfazed by that unending string of hardships.

A thought flashed in her head. A crazy little thought, too daring for that situation. She rationalized that it was the first and only thing she would take for herself. But she couldn’t get out of her head all that talking of kissing.

Still without making a sound, she leaned slowly towards Dash and planted a quick, soft kiss on her cheek.

“Goodnight, Dashie” she whispered.

Pinkie then turned back to her side in the exact same position and closed her eyes trying to get some sleep.She wore a satisfied smile with only ahint of regret that the only way she could’ve gotten a kiss form Rainbow,was by stealing it. And she kissed her the way she would’ve kissed her Granny, even, but as small as it was, it was sweet.

It had to be enough.

“Goodnight, Pinkie” Dash whispered as well, accompanied by a quick brush of her tail against the back of Pinkie’s foreleg.
Pinkie was a little startled by this, as her eyes shot open the second she heard her voice but she calmed down, instantly delighted by that at the same time. The sweetness of the moment dwelled in her heart for a while, reaffirming her belief from the forest that, in a way or another, everything would be alright.

That ray of hope she felt that time, instantly became brighter.

She slipped into a dreamless sleep immediately after.
---
The next day, the first thing she noticed when she woke up was Rainbow Dash sleeping face.

She was dangerously close to Rainbow Dash’s face, completely wrapped up in her left wing, using it as a blanket. And for once in her life, Pinkie felt shame for not overwhelming her primal instincts. She could get used to waking up like this, after all a pony could still dream. She rubbed her eyes, after carefully letting go the still sleeping pegasus as she noticed a sudden change in the room.The boring cleanliness of the flat from the night before was replaced by complete and utter chaos.

Various multi colored stains that she assumed were food (at least from the smell) appeared on the floor, the walls, even the ceiling. Some half empty bottles of liquor were resting on the floor, their contents spilled, almost making the pink pony slip. The funny part was that Vinyl didn’t even make a noise while producing this mess. How nice of her, Pinkie thought.

With no sign of the DJ and Dash still asleep, she decided to clean out. It was the least she could do for Scratch for letting them stay for the night. She quickly searched for a closet door behind which she found a mop and bucket.

As Pinkie started to scrub the floor, she improvised a silly song to help her work and raise her spirit, like she always did. Nothing could stop her to do something so fun and familiar.

Scrubbing, scrubbing my friend’s home

Make it shine just like chrome

All night long she made a mess

How she did it? I can’t guess!

Though she is nice, that can’t be wrong

So I’m singing this silly song!

Not one of her best, but on the spur of the moment it had to do. And at least it was original this time, so she was still the same old Pinkie.

She turned a bit to take care of another side of the room only to find right in front of her Vinyl’s face staring back, only a few inches from her. Which was strange since not only she didn’t hear any hoof steps, singing notwithstanding, nor saw any door opening. She decided not to press further on the matter.

“Morning, Scratch!” she chirped.

The unicorn yawned.“Morning Pinkie. You always start your day like that?”

“Oh, not always.Only when I’m working. Or I’m in a good mood. Or when I have to help out a friend that let me and my best friend stay for the night or…”

“Ok, ok, I got it. Still, nice of you helping me out. If you guessed already I‘ve kinda lost control last night…”

“You don’t say!” She looked completely sincere in that remark.

“Yeah. I had somepony who did that sometimes but…”

“Is that the same somepony we were going to talk about never?”

“Yep. And today is not never…Anyway, we were talking about that nice set of pipes you got!”

“Sorry, I don’t smoke. It’s bad for your voice!”

“Yeah, I meant your voice.”

“Then why do you want a pipe?”

“Forget about the pipes! I think you’re quite good at singing. A bit of uncouth but you got the stuff where it matters. Does anypony else know?”

A voice answered from behind of them, still half asleep “Last time she sang she started a parade all on her own…” said Dash, rubbing her eyes.

“Your freeloader friend there is still the voice of reason.” She took Pinkie aside, placing her foreleg around her shoulders once again.

“Forget what I said earlier!You know what day is today? It’s never! And, you see, I know this filly. Who is also my friend. You could call her a…”


“Friend-Filly?” Pinkie replied.

“If she wanted to admit it to herself, yes. But you see, we have this little project…”

As Vinyl continued to talk, Pinkie couldn’t help that things were getting, really, really convenient…

Comments ( 6 )

A few spelling errors and left out words here and there, but overall pretty good. I don't feel like scrolling back and searching for the errors again though, so you'll have to find them yourself :trollestia:

Huzzah for convenient circumstances! Pretty good chapter, I'm as interested in Dash and Pinkie's relationship as I am Vinyl's and Octavia's.

This is a very good story man but please double check the grammar before you submit.

This story is actually a lot better than many other stories on this site.

You keep the characters in character pretty well and the situations are completely believable. It really well-written and choreographed.

Keep this up, you're doing well! :pinkiehappy:

924110
Aaaww, thanks SIlverstein. If only i could make it more popular...Maybe a TV Tropes page?

Good story so far! :pinkiesmile:

Probably a good story. I didn't read it...

Login or register to comment