• Published 7th Jan 2015
  • 8,015 Views, 1,070 Comments

A New Sun - Ragnar



Maggie Wilson (26), on a smoke break from her dead end convenience store job in the California mountains, encounters the divine god-princess of a dead world. The princess asks for her help. Mag says yes.

  • ...
35
 1,070
 8,015

Conversation Twenty

The good news was that Mag didn’t have to pay for any of her new clothes. The bad news was that she also wouldn’t have to pay for new bras, since a male fashion designer had taken one look at her and announced to a room full of people that hers didn’t fit properly. The other good news was, hey, free bras.

The best news was that, after much hinting at, bargaining with, and whining to various officers, and finally just asking Celestia to arrange it, someone had installed a desktop PC in Mag, Celestia and Luna’s room.

Mag proposed that “everypony” (she wanted to use the word at least once) spend the rest of the day in their shared room for research and relaxation. Now they sat together in front of their new computer and read Youtube comments about Celestia.

“Play the video again,” said Luna. Youtube fascinated her.

“In a little while,” said Celestia, sitting next to Mag and reading along with fascination. Mag had never seen someone derive so much enjoyment from watching teenagers call each other Nazis, except in a spirit of schadenfreude. Her patience for idiots on the internet was astonishing. She chuckled and smiled indulgently at all the nicknames humanity had given her, from “Empress Deerbird” to “Sunbutt.” Tumblr shipped her with every fictional character and she bore it, however much Luna cackled at the racier works of fan art. The citizens of Twitter were engaged in a mass campaign for Celestia to be granted personhood, and, to Mag’s disquiet, most of the world’s politicians had everything and nothing to say on that subject. Celestia suggested patience. Reddit loved the whole concept of aliens but had doubts about certain elements of the situation. Celestia said she’d be happy to explain at the press conference.

She had endless faith in the press conference, now scheduled for tomorrow. Mag hoped her faith would turn out to be well placed.

“You could at least take off this gown,” groused Luna.

“In a little while,” said Mag. Her wardrobe, though hastily arranged by people who didn’t have her measurements and hadn’t even met her, was vast by Mag’s standards. Some of the items were more practical than others. Some of it was useless. Most of the shoes didn’t fit her, much of the jewelry was gawdy, she hated stockings, a couple of the dresses looked like lingerie to her admittedly somewhat prudish sensibilities, several of the earrings didn’t have mates, and, in the back of the delivery truck, an authentic Victorian ball gown stood arrayed on a wooden frame, complete with bustle and matching silk gloves. Mag couldn’t picture herself wearing it in public, so she got Celestia to help her put it on and resolved to wear it for the rest of the day. It came with a parasol.

Celestia found a floppy, wide brimmed sun hat for herself and hung one of the mateless earrings on the tip of her horn. Luna had Mag put on a black pillbox hat with a bow and veil. Mag pointed out that it didn’t match the gown; Luna said she saw no problem there, as it was Mag who was wearing the gown and Luna who was wearing the hat. Her argument was airtight. Mag put on the hat.

It was 4:14 in the afternoon and nothing mattered. It felt good to be silly. It felt good to feel.

Elbows on the computer desk and her head propped up on her hands, Mag dozed off while Celestia googled pictures of kittens.

***

“Whaddaya want?” said Luna, currently in the shape of a human and wearing a waitress uniform, standing next to Mag and the Candleman’s table, pen and notepad at the ready.

“What are the specials?” rumbled the Candleman. He had moose’s antlers and was so big that he shouldn’t have been able to get his legs beneath the table.

Luna counted them off on her fingers. Blue nail polish gleamed like steel. “Well, we got plum leaves in raspberry sauce, and I think there’s a bookcase fulla stuffy old biographies, or you could do the shadows of tall grass in a midmorning autumn breeze, glass tea, or biscuits and gravy. No, what am I saying? Biscuits is Tuesday.”

“I would like a saucer of glass tea, then,” said the Candleman. He laid down his menu and looked down at Mag, steepling his hairy fingers.

“The footsteps of the dead with a side of okra,” said Mag, laying her menu on top of the Candleman’s. Luna took their menus, popped her gum, and bustled away. Mag had never seen anyone bustle while wearing spike heels before. The Candleman folded his enormous hands and settled down to wait for his food.

Luna opened the door to the kitchen and set an order slip next to Mag, white-aproned head cook of the Sleazypretty. “Okay, hon, just like we practiced. Time to see the real power of dreams, eh?”

Mag opened the Book of Pasithee across the stovetop and began to read out loud. “Right. Here goes. ‘Where the wailing of the—’”

***

Someone knocked on the bedroom door, startling Mag awake.

“Black, sodding damn!”

“Wha’?” said Mag, wiping her mouth.

“Nothing. Attend to the visitor.”

Celestia looked up from a Wikipedia article on magic. “Come in.”

Jeff opened the door without coming in. He saluted sharply. “Your majesties, the President of the United States is waiting topside. He’d like to speak with you both.”

“Ugh, him,” said Mag, stretching. “We’d better change. What did I do with that really catty pants-suit? And a brush. We need a brush. Jeff, get out while I change.”

Jeff closed the door, but said, “Shall I tell them you’ll be up there in 20 minutes?”

“Ten,” called Celestia, magically running a brush through Mag’s hair while Mag looked for the suit she wanted.

She’d left it folded on a chair. It fit, more or less. Luna taught Mag how to tie the ascot.

“How does this look?” said Mag, turning in a slow circle on pointy black ballet flats.

“Professional,” said Celestia, with a thoughtful hoof under her chin. “Maybe a bit too forbidding, though the ascot lightens things up a little. What are you trying to say with this?”

Mag wished they had a mirror, but Celestia had asked for the bedroom mirror to be removed. “I was thinking something like, ‘I voted third party because I think you’re an opportunistic corporate shill, but I won’t bring it up if you don’t.’”

“Ah,” said Celestia dryly. “Then that ought to do the job. And your hair is brushed, so we’re almost ready. Seeing as we’re about to meet with the head of your nation, would you like me to do something more elegant than usual?”

“I’m an Equestrian and Equestrians have pony tails,” said Mag, tying her hair back herself.

“Many of us don’t, but I take your meaning,” said Celestia with a smile. She held up Mag’s makeup kit. “Would you care for a touch-up?”

“Yes. Are you going to need anything? A quick horn sharpening, maybe?” Celestia, of course, looked amazing at all times, but that was no reason not to ask.

“I’m ready,” said Celestia. “Jeff?”

“Yes?” Jeff said through the door.

“The two of us will be teleporting there, so I would appreciate it if you met us up there. One thing, however. What is the proper term of address for the president? Is it proper to bow, or are we to shake hooves—hands, I suppose I should say—or shall I simply keep my distance?”

“It’s ‘Mr. President.’ Knowing Randy Caldwell, he would probably rather shake hoof and hand. Yes, ma’am, we’ll meet you up there. But would you like an umbrella? It’s raining, you see.”

“No need,” said Celestia. “Luna, would you please take off that hat?”

“Fine,” said Luna, and took off the hat.

***

Celestia teleported the two of them 20 feet above the ground, Mag riding sidesaddle on her back. Celestia had prepared a spherical shield to keep the rain off, and Mag watched the water slide down the side of the invisible bubble. The drizzling rain painted the cement a darker gray, and between the clouds and the sun’s afternoon march to the horizon, natural light was becoming scarce.

A crowd of bodyguards in sunglasses clustered around a lone black umbrella. Celestia drifted down and landed 20 feet from the crowd.

A bodyguard held the umbrella over the head of United States President Randolph Caldwell in a long wool coat. He was shorter and handsomer in person than on television. He’d brought his smile today, a smile as carefree and feckless as the day he’d entered politics three decades ago. In terms of political capital, his smile was his fortune, and now it faltered as Celestia smiled back. Mag dismounted and tried to be as inconspicuous as she had been at the meeting.

She wished Celestia had accepted Jeff’s umbrella. Her shield bubble did the trick, but if the president of a country should have someone holding his umbrella, surely the queen of a universe shouldn’t have to use her own power to keep off the rain.

“Greetings, Mr. President,” said Celestia. “I’m honored and delighted to meet a world leader of Earth. I’d like to thank you and your people for hosting me.”

“My, my,” said the president softly. “My oh my.”

“Hm?” said Celestia.

“I thought I was prepared,” he said in a voice less cocky and more openly articulate than Mag had ever heard it. “I wasn’t. Hello, your majesty. The honor is all mine.” He bobbed his head and tipped an imaginary hat. “I was planning to stick around for a few hours for lattes and conversation, but now I think I’d better go. First, however, I’m going to do a little thinking out loud.”

He ran a hand over his stubble and put his hands in his pockets. “The other day, an aide brings me a laptop with a Youtube video and tells me a rural news network found a real live alien who wants to talk to me. I watch it because I always like to encourage my younger staff, and I think the CGI looks okay, but I don’t see anything except some Hollywood viral marketing. But wouldn’t you know it? People are taking it seriously. A HAZMAT team has already examined this very real and very cooperative alien, and it looks like some quasi-military organization has organized itself in a matter of hours to house and research her. They came into existence awfully fast. Awfully fast. I’m not sure how legal it is, considering the fact that I’m not hearing anything from immigration services or even animal control—”

“Sir—” began the man holding the umbrella.

“—but I know all the higher-ups of this organization personally and even some of the middle management, so I decide to let it stand and see what happens. I’ve heard of some of the researchers, too. You’ve even got kid-friendly science superstar Bradley Simon from PBS to study the ‘magic,’ and that’s a PR move if I’ve ever heard one.”

Celestia nodded along with interest, never interrupting and never appearing surprised.

The president kept smiling, kept talking. “The organization sends me some interesting paperwork, all about violins and mysterious books. Personally, my favorite part is the stuff about temperature tolerance. Have you ever heard of ‘absolute hot’? I sure hadn’t until this morning. The news says the Vatican is arguing over whether or not this alien princess is actually some kind of angel called a Principality. The internet is discussing what it means to be a person. Vegetarianism is becoming bigger. All very interesting. I also hear something about a political extremist mountain girl who got caught up in things, though she sounds a lot like a couple of people I met at Harvard. Hello, Ms. Wilson. Are you doing well?”

Celestia nudged Mag with a wing. “Sure,” said Mag.

“You sure? I heard something about bloody eyes. Wink if you’re being held against your will.”

Mag didn’t wink. “By your people? Technically not, I guess. By the princesses? No. The bloody eyes were from making eye contact with Cthulhu and that one’s all on me.”

“Sounds like you’ve got this all under control, then.” Randy Caldwell squinted at the mountains, which had turned gray over the past few hours under the light of the cloud-filtered setting sun. “Where was I?”

“Twittering and vegetarianism,” prompted Luna.

He looked at Mag and Luna from under his eyebrows. “Uh… huh.”

“I am Luna, princess of the night,” said Luna.

The president stared at Mag suspiciously for a few seconds. “… Right. Twitter and vegetarianism. But you see it, don’t you? You walked out of a lake yesterday and you’re already making waves. Are you a fad? That’s what it looked like until you landed just now. You know what I see now? I see someone who knows what I know: that you can take over the world by pretending to be harmless.”

“I’m not going to take over the world,” said Celestia, all firmness. Celestia glanced at Mag. “No,” she said again.

“Don’t look at me,” said Luna. “What would I want with this world?”

“Mag was looking disappointed,” said Celestia. “Mr. President, my goals are to see what humans can do about my cursed world, and to help humanity however I can.”

“Oh, I believe you,” said the president. “I can’t not believe you. I can’t imagine anyone disbelieving you about anything, and that spooks me, because humans get worrisome when they lose their skepticism. You don’t want to see what humans do when a whole lot of us are completely sure about something. You should be careful what you say, your majesty, because a lot of people are going to believe you.”

“I know what I’m capable of,” said Celestia. Somehow she made it sound reassuring.

“Whatever you say.” The president hooked a finger at a sunglassed man. “Leo, start the limo. I need to get out of here.” Leo got into the limo and turned the engine on.

President Caldwell didn’t get in right away. He watched the drizzling rain for a minute and then said, “You know what else bothers me? Everyone was too quick. I don’t think it’s really possible for a government or any of its associates to throw all of this together in a matter of hours. Someone knew you were coming. Do you know anything about that, your majesty? Ms. Wilson?”

“I really couldn’t say,” said Celestia with a baffled wave of her hoof.

“No ideas here,” said Mag.

“I see. Your majesty, it was a pleasure. I hope you’ll take it as a compliment when I say you scare the living hell out of me.” He got into his limo and shut the door. The tinted window hid his face.

“If it makes you feel any better,” said Mag to a now visibly troubled Celestia, “he’s up for reelection in a couple of years. Maybe you can encourage America to vote for someone less… cautious.”

“And more respectful,” added Luna. “You see, this is why democracy is nonsense and the best form of government is a theocratic absolute monarchy.”

***

“Not to mention,” said Mag, “the fact that of course he’s going to worry about you upsetting things. He’s a world leader and member of the establishment. He’s also a hidebound conservative masquerading as a progressive.”

They’d gone back to their room. Celestia had asked Jeff to have their meal delivered there, because she intended to read as much of human history as possible. “You could say the same of me,” said Celestia without looking up from Wikipedia.

“The established order sucks on Earth and nobody good is going to miss it,” said Mag. “Anyway, he’s wrong. The reason it’s the established order is because it’s self-perpetuating, and because humans are going to act like humans no matter what you do. If he’s right, good. If he’s wrong, fine.”

“You offered to help,” said Luna. “How did you intend to help without changing this world? But cleave to your principles, dear sister, apply yourself with all the kindness that is your nature, and surely Earth will only improve.”

“I have already given assurances that I wouldn’t harm the human way of life,” said Celestia, “and at the very least, I don’t have the right to risk changing it without understanding what damage I might cause. I’m confident that, if I can only learn enough and work closely enough with this world’s elected leaders, we can all benefit without global upheaval.”

“Well then good luck finding an unbiased history of the world,” said Mag, trying a different tack.

Celestia gave her an angry look. Mag quailed, but rallied. “Ask two humans what happened in America in 1492 and you’ll get three different answers. Wikipedia isn’t an academically accepted source, either, because absolutely anybody could edit that page. And were you seriously planning on reading 6,000 years of history overnight?”

Celestia’s expression became thunderous. “I am sick to death of knowing nothing. This is the closest thing I have to a solution.”

“Just relax and listen to Luna. Stick to your principles, learn as you go, and never let them see you sweat. Will you please relax?”

Celestia made an aggravated noise and studied the ceiling for a minute.

“I’ll try,” she said, “but we can’t forget the point the president has made. I speak with experience when I say the status quo is far more fragile than people give it credit for, and its true foundations aren’t often obvious to outside observers.”

Mag patted Celestia on the shoulder. “Worst case scenario, you ruin everything forever out of good intentions. Humans do that all the time, so you’ll fit right in.”

Author's Note:

Shorter than I intended, but I thought I'd end up having to add a bunch of extra stuff after the first draft and I didn't.

Regardless, let's see about getting the next chapter out faster.