• Published 8th Jan 2015
  • 2,636 Views, 99 Comments

"Why does everypony say that?!" - The SideKick



Ever had a rumor spread about you that just wouldn't go away? Well you're not the only one, and here's the proof in a collection of short stories of ponies that have rumors spread about them as well. Most false, some true, some you'd rather not know.

  • ...
8
 99
 2,636

Celestia's cakes

It was Celestia's birthday...in three weeks.

This didn't stop the hordes of brown nosers that sent their gifts early to try and gain favor with royalty. Celestia had to wonder just how much of this problem was her own fault. She would never regret her many attempts of connecting with her little ponies, still ever grateful for her greatest success Chuckle-lot, but it most likely was where the first drops of what would become the on pour of schmoozers started as they learned not to fear to approach the aged and powerful princess to try and get on her good side. Years of experience had helped her be ready for whatever was sent her way. Smaller and simpler gifts she would write a thank you card for and then have that card copied for however many times was needed for that year's gifts. She did make an effort to make each year thank you unique.

After the smaller gifts were taken care of she would move on to the larger gifts. These, to her great relief, were much fewer and far between. While she tried to make use of all the gifts her ponies gave to her the larger ones tended to be too complex or something that simply seemed too lavish for a princess that would just like to sit and have a nice cup of tea. If she could she would make use of them, but most of the time they were sent back with a letter that held the most sincere thank you she could muster. This also happened if the gift was something so clearly expensive that it would even make the most wealthy of ponies pale.

But has of recent years there have been a third category of gifts that this year officially outnumber the other two. It was about two years ago that they started coming in. They were not noticeable along other gifts of a similar nature. Then the next year they were notable in quantity, but nothing was thought about it then, just a coincidence at the most. Then they started coming in smaller amounts, dotted throughout the months leading up to now, where they sat in huge piles in the throne room. She dreaded her birthday just for the possible tidal wave of these gifts that would come with it.

"Why have my ponies sent me so many cakes?"

They lined the walls nearly, laid upon other gifts in the fight for room. Celestia had been keeping them in the castle kitchens previously, ready to be served to any resident or guest that should request some, but as the days ticked away and the cake number grew they were set alongside the other gifts.

"I might have to hold a celebration of some sort just to get rid of them."

Celestia had been sitting on her throne contemplating what to do with the endless confectioneries and why they were here to begin with.

"Perhaps cakes are the newest trend? Though I would have likely heard of it then...maybe I should ask Luna again. She has been acting rather strange ever since these cakes started coming in."

Indeed, Luna had been rather giggly , snickering or outright laughing over whatever reason these cakes had been so widely sent. She, however, had been hesitant to let go of her information, dodging Celestia's questions. Hoping that this time Luna would, at last, divulge what she knew Celestia stood up and made her way through the mountains of cake to the doors. She walked briskly to her sister's room. It was still early in the morning, Luna only having gone to sleep an hour ago. This was part of Celestia's quickly conceived plan, catching Luna sleep deprive would hopefully help her get the answers she wanted.

Celestia was at her sister's bedroom doors soon. The guards that were normally ready to turn away anypony that tried to wake the night princess for any other reason than an emergency simply bowed as Celestia walked in, closing the doors behind her and being enveloped in darkness. Lighting up her horn with a small bit of magic Celestia's eyes went right for the blob covered by a star blanket with a messy light blue top of hair. The snoring was the last part of the picture that made Celestia smile.

"Oh Lulu, you'll never stop being so adorable will you?"

Luna groaned and shifted, not quite awake yet but clearly having heard her sister. Celestia tipped-hooved over to the bed, lowered her head so that her mouth was right at Luna's ear, and blew gently. Luna grumbled and raised a hoof to swat around her ear. Celestia backed off a little and waited for Luna to rest again. When Luna put her hoof down Celestia went back in and began to blow into her ear, a little more forcefully this time. It seemed to do the trick, as Luna snapped her eyes open and brought her head up quickly, slamming it right into Celestia's. Celestia, in turn, being more stunned than hurt backed up instinctively reaching for her head only to lose her balance and land on her rump with a *Plop*. She had also lost her concentration and thus the light from her horn was gone. Shaking her head Celestia looked up to see Luna sitting up and rubbing her head, her own horn aglow, giving her a glare that could kill.

"Dear sister, I understand that due to our different sleeping schedules that this is necessary should you want to talk to me during the day, but what is NOT necessary is to do so in such a foallish way. You could have very well just gently whispered my name or maybe send a proper servant to retrieve me. I had thought there was a whirlwind within my room."

Celestia stood back up and brought a chair over to sit in with her magic. Once she was seated properly she smiled over at Luna, who had propped herself up on the beds headboard.

"I'm sorry to have disturbed your sleep Luna, but there was something I wanted to ask you."

"Is this about the cakes again?"

"Yes, would you like to finally release what you know about them?"

Luna huffed and laid back down, pulling the blanket over her head.

"No, now please let me rest."

Celestia's smile morphed into a grin.

"Do you really think I'll let it go that easily?"

"I am thinking that if I ignore you for long enough you will go away."

"Well then you thought wrong, I'm won't move until I get what I want."

Luna poked an eye out from beneath her blanket.

"You have day court."

"Canceled due to the throne room being used to house the very reasons I'm here."

"But surely you have your other obligations to attend to."

"Oh yes, I do. And should I still be here when I need to take care of them then I'll simply have to make this my office."

...

"I will move to a different room."

"You know that I'm quite skilled at working while on the move. I'll just follow."

Luna stared long and hard at the smug look on Celestia's face before she huffed and sat up in her bed again.

"Very well, I will tell why you have been sent so many cakes if it will get you to leave my room."

Celestia's grin widened.

"I promise."

Luna glared at her some more before going on.

"You remember when Twilight Sparkle sent you that frenzied letter apologizing about some apparent scandal that had been in a newspaper produced by the Ponyville school?"

Celestia rubbed a hoof briefly against her chin in thought.

"Yes, I do. Poor Twilight was so worried that some little article would upset me. She was so focused on saying sorry that she had neglected to tell me what the article was even about."

"Well, you have that article to thank for all the confectionery gifts you have now."

For what was a rare sight for many ponies Celestia seemed genuinely baffled by this.

"What could have possibly been in a school paper to have caused such a humongous flow of sweets?"

Luna gained a grin of her own.

"Tell me, Tia, do you also remember that picture I took of you trying all those cake?"

Celestia paled at the mention of the memory.

"Tell me you didn't-"

"I indeed sent them that very same picture to use. I had thought that it would be a small way to embarrass you, but that it has manifested itself in such a way that has only heightened its hilarity."

Celestia's face blossomed bright red like a rose.

"You know that was just the one time! I was simply testing to see if our chiefs had successfully recreated that lovely creation of Twilight's friend Pinkie Pie!"

Luna looked ready to burst out laughing right then and there.

"I know, but the public, in general, does not. They believe you are addicted to the sugary bread and therefore send it to you in the hundreds."

Celestia covered her face with her hooves.

"That's why Grand Leader Kerfeld brought that huge cake for our peace talks..."

"And why Mistress Lavil of the dragons did so as well."

Celestia pulled her face out of her hooves and gave Luna a tiny glare of her own.

"Why Luna?! What have I done for you to have done this?"

Celestia's eyes grew huge, looking as though they wanted to devour the rest of her face.

"Oh Lulu, Is this because...?"

"Yes sister, this is all revenge fo-GUH!"

Luna found herself unable to talk now due to the forelegs of her sister crushing her in a hug.

"I'm so sorry, I had thought you had forgiven me."

"What are yo-?"

"But it was foolish of me to think that all that pain would disappear so soon."

"Tia, let me go."

Celestia was an emotionally strong mare, but it was clear even with the lack of a tremble in her voice or tears that she was extremely distressed.

"Please understand that I had to banish you, there wa-"

"CELESTIA!"

Luna's royal voice along with a sharp shove managed to get Celestia detached from Luna.

"This has nothing to do with my banishment! I was referring to your constant pranks and jokes. I have long since made peace with what happened."

Celestia was left blinking blankly for a moment.

"Oh...and the whole cake thing was just because of me pranking you?"

"Yes, you had been driving me up a wall with their frequency and it seemed like the perfect way to get back at you."

"Oh."

...

"You were rather quick to assume Tia."

Celestia laid back in her chair and began to poke her hooves together.

"It's just that I still worry. I..."

Again in another rare act on Celestia's part she couldn't bring herself to look Luna in the eyes.

"I don't want to lose you again. Even the smallest hints that you're still mad at me are worrying."

It was Celestia's turn to be wrapped in a tight hug, though not as powerful as hers was.

"You have no reason to fear Tia, what was done is done."

They hugged for a bit before separating. In the hugs wake was an awkward silence as neither knew where to go now with this conversation. It was then that Celestia had an idea.

"Lulu?"

"Hm?"

"As long as I've got you up how about we have a small snack together."

"Cake I would presume?"

"We have a whole kingdoms worth to choose from."

"I guess a quick snack would do no harm, but there is something I want to know first."

"And that would be?"

"Now that you know, what are you going to do about the cakes?" Luna said as she got out of bed and walked over to her vanity.

"Oh, I believe I'll just make a holiday next to my birthday all about cake. It will be open to any and everypony. That should put a significant dent in the whole." Said Celestia as she went over to stand next to the doors.

"And how will you stop ponies from sending them?"

"Stop? Who ever said anything about stopping them?"

Luna had been combing her hair but paused to look over at Celestia.

"I thought that was the whole reason you were here."

Celestia giggled.

"I never intended on stopping them. The cakes are just replacing other gifts that are normally sent, but they are much simpler to deal with than many others. And while I don't quite have an addiction I still have a sweet tooth. Speaking of, I'm starting to get a real strong craving now. I'm going to go on ahead and get a table ready seeing as the throne room is not exactly the roomiest of places at the moment."

And with that Celestia opened the doors and walked out, leaving them open just long enough for Luna to get a quick glimpse at the slight jiggle in her rump before the doors were again closed.

Luna laughed and turned back to her vanity.

"It seems my revenge is only just started."

Author's Note:

And that's that. This is the first of possibly or possibly not many more short stories revolving around the many fanon ideas about FiM:MLP that have never been directly touched on in the show or comics. It's only my second story project and it's my first comedy, so it's going to be bad. If you like it then that's great! Thank you for reading! But for those more critically minded go ahead and leave a constructive comment to help me. I do my best to read everyone's comment and try and improve. Either way thanks for reading period. Be sure to keep a watch out for the next short story.