• Published 4th Jan 2015
  • 2,679 Views, 108 Comments

Quest For Equestria - Skyguy626



No two Worlds are the same... Neither are two people. Now enjoy this odd mix.

  • ...
63
 108
 2,679

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 17: Nightmare Night

Another month past, still no word from the Princess for a way back. The training has also been slow, as neither Skywalker, Twilight or Celestia could find a way to remove the mental block.

"Sky? Skywalker?" a voice called to him, Skywalker lifted his head, while rubbing his eyes. Twilight was looking at him with her purple eyes, "You fell asleep." Twilight said, closing the book she was reading "Having trouble sleeping again?", Skywalker nodded.

Twilight gave him a curious look, "You always look so tired, when was the last time you slept well?" she asked as Skywalker started to think, "This Thursday, two months ago..." he said gaining a worried expression from Twilight. "Y-You have trouble sleeping ever since you got here?" she said surprised. "Everything is fine..." he tried to reassure her but she cut him off "No, it's not fine! What if something happens and your too tired to protect us? What if you get hurt!? What if..." she rattled on before Skywalker places his hand on her head, which calmed her down.

"Twilight, I will never be too tired to protect you and the rest." he said with a smile but she wasn't entirely convinced.

"So, that Nightmare Night is gonna be this weekend huh?" Skywalker said, trying to change the subject, Twilight's expression sadden by his question. "I-I'm sorry, did I say something wrong?" he asked. Twilight shook her head at his question, "Nothing, it's just... That weekend is the only weekend my big brother can have a free weekend, no trains go to Chanterlot and back during Nightmare Night. I promised Spike to go candy hunting with him, but if I take him to my family... We won't be able to go candy hunting. " she looked down, as Skywalker took in her dilemma. "Do you..." he started slowly, "Want me to look after Spike? He can stay over at my place and I'll take him trick or... I mean candy hunting." Skywalker proposed as Twilight face brighten up. "Y-You would do that?" she said as Skywalker nodded, "Of course... WHoa!".

Twilight had tackled him to the ground and gave him the biggest hug she had ever give anyone "Thank you! Thank you!" she said, she lifted her head a little and started to blush, the only thing between her muzzle and his mouth was a small layer of air.

"Well... This is awkward..." she said blushing, gaining a puzzling look from Skywalker, "Why?" he asked, totally oblivious to their situation. Before Twilight could answer, Spike's voice came from another room "Hey Twilight, have..." he said entering the room, but he fell silent as he saw Twilight on top of Skywalker. She got quickly off him, but Spike couldn't help but smirk at her embarrassment.

"So... You two are studying hard." he said as Twilight shot him an angry glare. "Spike! Guess were you'll be staying this weekend?" she asked as he shrug his shoulders "At the guys house. Yeah, I was listening. I guess I'll go pack my stuff." he said heading upstairs. Twilight shook her head as Skywalker chuckled.

Meanwhile, back at the guy's house.

McGrath was sitting on the sofa reading a book, he was only a few chapters in as a voice behind him said "Soooo.". Turning around he saw Phoenix leaning against the sofa, giving him a cocky smirk.

McGrath rolled his eyes before saying "What do you want now?", deciding against his better judgment to hear him out. Phoenix jumped over the sofa and took a seat next to him, "So, talked to Diva yet?" he asked, gaining him a glare from McGrath. "Now don't give me that look. Don't tell me that you haven't talked to her after the sleep over. Especially after you two..." he said as McGrath cut him off, "We all agreed to never talk about what happened!". he said.

Phoenix just gave him a smirk, as he relaxed back into the sofa, "Come on, don't tell me you don't have feelings for her." he winked as McGrath returned to his book, "This discussion is over." he said, hiding his face into the book.

Phoenix could have sworn he saw a blush on McGrath's pale cheeks. A big smile crept on his face, "You do! You totally do!" he said standing up, "Moody likes Diva! Moody likes Diva!" he said in a sing song voice as McGrath let out a annoyed groan.

And so, Saturday came. The daytime part of the day was spend decorating the house and setting stuff up for a Nightmare Night Party, after preparations were in order, Skywalker retreated into his room to put on his costume.

Coming down in a Darth Vader suite, he saw Spike, who ironically, was dressed as a dragon waiting for him.

"So?" Skywalker said activating the voice changer, mimicking the voice of Darth Vader. "What do you think? I made it myself." at the bottom of the stairs, he spin around to show off the costume.

"Are you that one guy with a breathing problem from Star Wars?" Spike said, gaining a face palm from Skywalker. "Guy with a breathing problem?... I'm Darth freaking Vader! The greatest enemy of the Jedi!" he ranted as he and Spike exited the house to hunt for candy.

Apparently, no one recognized who Skywalker was supposed to be. Humans? Not weird at all, Darth freaking Vader? Who is that robot?

Anyways, the hunting was a great success as they both had two big bags filled with all sorts of sweets. Before heading home, they decide to the festival on the Main Square.

A lot of ponies had gathered, all wearing costumes from a typical princess to zombies, Skywalker though he even saw a filly dressed as McGrath.

"Thank you, everybody." Mayor Mare, her self dressed as a clown with rainbow wig, big red nose and all that clown stuff, said as she addressed the crowd from the stage, and welcome to the Nightmare Night festival! Now all the little ponies who have been out collecting sweets should follow our friend Zecora to hear the legend of Nightmare Moon!" she said, trying to sound scary, but at best she sounded cheesy.

"Spooky voice might work better is she wasn't dressed like that." Spike whispered to Skywalker, making him chuckle as Zecora enter the stage, dressed as... A voodoo witch I guess?

"Follow me and very soon you'll hear the tale of Nightmare Moon." Zecora said, her spooky voice sounded much scarier, "Listen close my little dears, and I'll tell you where you got your fears of Nightmare Night, so dark and scary. Of Nightmare Moon, who makes you wary. Every year, we put on a disguise, to save ourselves, from her searching eyes. But Nightmare Moon wants just one thing. To gobble up ponies in one quick swing. Hungrily, she soars the sky. If she sees nobody, she passes by. So if she comes and all is clear, Equestria is safe another year!".

"Uh, Miss Zecora, if we wear costumes to hide from Nightmare Moon, so she won't gobble us up, how come we still need to give her some of our candy?" A little filly, named Pipsqueak if Skywalker recalled correctly, asked, making Zecora turn to him.

"A perfect question, my little friend. For Nightmare Moon you must not offend. Fill up her belly with a treat or two, so she won't return to come eat you!" she said, making some children scream in fright.

"Everybody!" Pinkie shouted, she was dressed as a chicken, "Just dump some candy and get out of here!" she said dropping some candy in front of the statue.

Just as the little fillies wanted to offer some candy, the sky darkened as thunder roars in the background. A chariot, being pulled by two pegasi guards, instead of the normal gold armor, these guard were wearing black armor and their wings were those of a bat, instead of the normal feathered ones.

Skywalker gave a deep sigh, "What is it now?" he asked as the chariot landed. Someone wearing a dark cloak exited, as she approached the center of the group, the cloak disappeared into bats, revealing that the new comer was in fact the Princess of the night herself.

Though she looked different from the last time they saw her. For instance, she was taller, her body more slim, her mane filled with stars and floating as if held by wind.

The princess looked around, giving the group a good look before, "Citizens of Ponyville!" she shouted, with a lot of volume, "We have graced your tiny village with our presence, so that you might behold the real princess of the night! A creature of nightmare is no longer, but instead a pony who desires your love and admiration! Together we shall change this dreadful celebration into a bright and glorious feast!" she declared, thunder roaring in the background, startling ever one. "Did you hear that, everybody!?" Pinkie shouted, "Nightmare Moon says she's gonna feast on us all!", scaring the kids as they all fled.

"What?" Princess Luna said surprised, this time with a normal voice, "No children, no! You no longer have reason to fear us! Screams of delight is what your princess desires, not screams of terror!", her please went unheard as nearly everybody fled in terror.

"What is the matter with you?" the princess shouted in frustration, "Very well then. Be that way! We won't even bother with the traditional royal farewell." she said as she made her exit, towards the Everfree Forest.

"Spike, you go home now." Skywalker started, handing him his candy bag, "I gonna go talk to her." standing back up and turns to the way Luna left.

"You can't talk to her!" Spike said, almost falling over from the weight of four big bags filled with candy, "She's Nightmare Moon!" he said worriedly, making Skywalker glare at him from under his helmet, "No, she's not." Skywalker said, with a stern tone to his voice, "I saw the Elements of Harmony change her back to good! But it seems like she's having some trouble adjusting after being gone for a thousand years." Skywalker said as he dashed toward the Everfree Forest.

He didn't have to look long for the princess, who was sitting in front of a statue of Nightmare Moon. Hearing him approach, she turned her head to look at him, giving him a distrustful look.

"Princess Luna? Hi, my name is..." Skywalker started with a friendly tone, as his hands moved up to remove the helmet. But before he could do that, Luna interrupted him. "Darth Vader!" she said, surprising Skywalker, "Commendable costume! Thou even got the voice and breathing right." she complimented him, making Skywalker grin under the helmet.

"Thank you." he said, fiddling with the helmet, "I just came to welcome you to our celebration! My actual name is..." he found the button at the side of his helmet, removing the hooks at kept it in check. Removing the helmet, Skywalker shook his head to get his hair back into its usual model.

"Jason Skywalker!" she said, before her voice returned her loud volume, "It was thou who unleashed the powers of harmony upon us and took away our dark powers!", she shouted as thunder roared in the background.

"Wow, Wow!" Skywalker said, raising his hands "Easy there. That was a good thing... right?" he asked nervously as Luna gave him a puzzling look. "But of course." she responded in her normal tone. "We could not be happier. Is that not clear?" she asked him confused.

"Well..." Skywalker started slowly, trying not to offend the princess in front of him, "You kinda sound like you're yelling at me.".

Luna shook her head as she took in what he said, "But this is the traditional royal Canterlot voice! It is tradition to speak, using the royal 'we', and..." she pauzed, returning to her Royal Canterlot Voice, "TO USE AS MUCH VOLUME WHEN ADDRESSING OUR SUBJECTS!".

Skywalker looked awkwardly to his left and right, thinking to himself "So... Royalty spoke in caps lock in the past...", gaining a questioning look from the Princess. "That might explain why your appearance was met with... mixed results. I think if you just changed your approach a bit, you might be met with a warmer reception." he suggested as Luna shouted at him "Change our approach!?".

Skywalker cover his hears, "Lower the volume?" he said gaining a sorrowful look from the princess.

"Ohhh." she looked down to the ground, "We have been locked away for a thousand years. We are... not sure we can."

It took some time, but with some pointers and some practice, Luna got her volume under control. Skywalker suggested to get to know some ponies.

This was less successful as nearly everybody was still scared of her, every attempted resulted ended with someone running away while screaming.

"What's wrong with you!" Skywalker shouted, as Pinkie ran away for the third time. Luna dropped her head in disappointment, "It is of no use, Jason." she said, giving a deep sigh, "They have never liked us and they never shall."

"I like you." Skywalker said, he could have sworn that he saw a little smile on the princess muzzle for a brief moment after saying that. "Maybe their just... Intimidate. You are a princess after all." nodding, thinking that must be it, "There is a party at my house, there will be music, snacks and drinks. It will be a perfect way to show that you are just a pony! Just like everybody else!" he explained excited, though Luna had her doubts.

"We... We don't know. How big will this party be?" she asked nervous. Skywalker gave her a warm smile, "Its just a small party, fifty people and or ponies max." he said, as Luna looked worried to the ground.

"We... We guess. Will you be staying at our side the entire time?" she asked, he gave her an encouraging nod "Of course!".

As they approach the house, they could see that the party was already in full swing. Ponies were laughing, dancing and socializing with one another.

Luna seemed nervous as she walked close the Skywalker. He gave her a encouraging smile, "Don't worry, this will be fun! All you have to do is loosen up a bit, be positive, and have some fun.", he said as they entered the house.

"Fun?" Luna asked him, "What is this 'fun' thou speak of? Pray tell, what purpose does it serve?", making Skywalker think for a minute.

"Well..." he started slowly, "F is for friends that do stuff together, U is for you and me, and... N is for anywhere at any time at all. If I remember correctly."

This time, they had much more success to get the ponies to accept Luna, a little bit of alcohol can do wonders. It took some time but eventually Luna loosened up, dragging Skywalker to the dance floor and pretty much forced him to dance. Which is especially funny, as Skywalker is a terrible dancer, though Luna didn't care, she had the time of her life.

Eventually, they ended in the backyard were some games were set up. Luna waited outside, returning greetings she got from the party goers as Skywalker returned with two cans.

"Well you seem to be having a good time, Princess." he said handing her one of the cans, which she levitate with her magic. She opened it, she took a sip as a bitter taste filled her mouth. With some trouble she swallowed it, looking over at Skywalker who had already finished his.

"This is some... Intresting cider." she said, "What kind of cider is this, Jason?" she asked as he looked up to the roof. "That's my princess, is called a beer." he said as he kept looking at the roof. A crowd started to form around them, all looking at the roof. Luna herself looked up and saw one of Skywalker's friends standing on the roof.

"I'm gonna jump! Into the pool!" said a drunken Phoenix, as the crowd started to chant "Jump!" over and over.

Luna gave Skywalker a worried look, "Don't worry, he does this every Saturday.", his words had barley left his mouth as Phoenix jumped.

Landing in the pool, a large splash headed to the crowd. Luna closed her eyes, waiting for the water to hit her, which never happened. Opening her eyes, she saw Skywalker standing in front of her.

"I can't have a lady become dirty, now can I princess?" he said giving her a smile.

"I ask that thou call us..." she slowly said, shaking her head as she continued, "Me... Luna, fair Jason. Hear me, villagers!" she shouted those last words, gaining the attention of everyone, "All of you! Call me Luna!" as she said that, the crowd cheered.

As the night continued, they ran into Pinkie again, who screamed as she saw him with Princess Luna, before Luna could react Skywalker jumped to her defense, "What's wrong with you Pinkie! You used to be scared of nothing! Why are you suddenly scared of Luna!? She's changed! She's not evil or scary anymore! And she definitely doesn't want to gobble you up!" he shouted, unbeknownst to him this made Luna blush.

"...Well, duh." Pinkie said, rolling her eyes. "I know that. Sheesh, Skywalker, I'm almost as big as her. How's she gonna gobble me up?".

He was slightly taken a back by her answer. "Sometimes it's just really fun to be scared." Pinkie said before he could say anything.

At five in the morning, Griffifth shouted, "The party is over! You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here!" he said as the guests started to leave. Everybody went home with a smile, everyone but Luna who seemed disappointed.

Skywalker watched her leave, he rushed out the door and catch up with the princess who seemed to be walking home even though she lived in a different city.

"You mind if I walk with you for a while?" he asked, she turned around looking at him, "Jason? Shouldn't you get to bed?" she asked as he shook his head, "I'm not tired." he said, before she could ask he answered "You seemed disappointed at the end of the night, did I do something wrong?" he asked her as they walked through Ponyville, which is empty at this time of day.

"Not at all. I... Thank you, for everything tonight." She said giving him a grateful smile, "I don't usually hang out with friends." she told him, gaining a questing look from him.

Noticing his look she continued, "I'm usually the only one awake during the night." looking down at her reflection in a puddle. "I don't really have many friends, just my sister."

Skywalker's figure soon enters the reflection on the puddle. "I could be your friend." he said making her look up at him, as he smiled.

"So why do you sleep during the day?" he asked, as they crossed a bridge. "I don't have to, I always used to argue that I could just raise the moon every night before I sleep. But that was when I was young and mother didn't allow it." she answered.

Skywalker put his arms behind the back of his head, "I don't see a problem with that. It's not like the moon is going anywhere." he said making her chuckle. "I think you should tell Celestia about that." he said making Luna nod. "Yes, she is more reasonable than mother is... or should I say was." she added that last part sadly.

He realized what she meant, "Oh... I'm sorry." he said. Luna shrugged of his apology "No, it's okay." she said as they arrived at the edge of Ponyville. "I'll talk to Tia and maybe we can walk together again some other day." she asked hopefully.

Skywalker nodded again "That would be nice. Come by anytime, your always welcome." he said as she spreads her wings. Before taking off, she turned around and gives him a quick peck on the cheek, then flies off into the night.

Author's Note:

That was Nightmare Night. Hope you enjoyed it as much as I had writing it.
What did you think of the interaction Skywalker had with Luna? I would love to hear your thoughts.
And wow, in my last Author Note I laughed at how balanced my Like/Dislike bar was... and now the Dark Side is winning... Me and my big mouth :ajbemused:
Anyways hope you enjoyed and a good night to you (or Day).

PreviousChapters Next