• Published 2nd May 2012
  • 1,779 Views, 67 Comments

Berry's Burns - ThatGirl2147



When a bizarre explosion sends an SAS commando into Equestria, one would expect something's wrong.

  • ...
3
 67
 1,779

A Doctor And Some Metal

“Hello?” Greeted a nonchalant Berry Punch as she opened her front door. Before her stood a medium-sized, light brown Earth Stallion. His eyes were an aged, faded azure, and he had a short, dark amber mane and tail. An hourglass adorned his flank and he wore a pair of brown saddlebags bearing the same motif.

“Excuse me,” said he politely, “I’m looking for the mare known as Berry Punch.” He spoke in a rather perplexing tone; he sounded as though he knew what to say, but not how to explain it.

“Umm, that’s me,” confirmed the mulberry mare, raising an eyebrow. “Can I help you?”

The stallion thought for a second, running a hoof through his spiky mane, before he replied. “Yes,” said he, “that is, if you can help me.” Berry cocked her head to one side. “You see, I’m looking for something, something rather weird.”

Berry nodded. “Okay,” said she in an unsure tone, “what is it you’re looking for?” With that, she moved to one side to allow the stallion entrance.

The stallion bowed his head politely as he entered the mare’s home. He looked around for a few seconds, and asked, “have you got a piece of paper and a pencil?”

The mare opened a drawer on an end table and produced that which the stallion requested. Holding them to him, she asked, “is that all you’re looking for?”

The stallion shook his head. “No,” said he, taking the pencil from the mare’s hoof and setting the paper on a nearby coffee table. “I’m looking for something that looks like this.” He began sketching something on the paper, and set the pencil down when he finished.

Berry looked at the sketch, and felt her heart skip a beat at what she saw. The sketch was of a bipedal creature with hands and feet. “A.. a Human?” stuttered she.

“Yes,” confirmed the brown stallion, who raised an intrigued eyebrow at the answer. “You know what this is?”

Berry put a hoof over her mouth as she realised what she’d said. Reluctantly, she let her hoof down and answered, “yes, I know what it is. I also know where it is.”

“Oh, wow,” said the stallion, “first place I go to look, and I find what I’m looking for. I love that. Doesn’t happen often, you know.” He began to trail off, but caught himself as he shook his head and asked, “so, where is the Human?”

“Follow me,” ordered Berry as she trotted through her house and up the stairs to the room where Burns was staying, with the stallion closely following suit.

The pair opened the door to Burns’ room, and Berry jumped at what she saw. On the floor lay Burns, face-down, pushing his body up repeatedly with his arms, counting each repetition. “Umm, Burns,” began the mare, “are you okay?”

“What?” asked the man, ceasing to move. He looked to the mulberry mare and jumped to his feet. “I see you’ve got company?” said he, looking at the mysterious stallion.

“Good day, Sir,” greeted the brown stallion cheerfully. Holding a hoof to the man, he said, “I’m The Doctor.”

By that point, Burns began staring at the stallion, mouth agape. “You.. you’re The Doctor,” stuttered he, “as in, ‘THE Doctor?’”

“Yes, that’s me,” replied the stallion, “I take it you’ve heard of me?”

“Heard of you?” questioned the man, sounding almost offended, “you’re only the biggest star in the bloody country where I’m from.”

The Doctor nodded. “I see. Interesting,” marked he, “I guess I’m a universal name.”

Burns laughed lightly at the dry joke. “Now that’s proper humour, Doctor. Bravo!” said he.

Then, the enjoyment was cut short by a rough, static white noise emanating from one of the pockets on Burns’ vest. After a second, a male voice could be heard.

“Overlord, come in,” said the voice, sounding very panicked, “come in, Overlord. This is Metal 0-4. I’m wounded and separated from my team; requesting immediate evac.” Then, the voice ceased and returned to white noise.

Burns gasped audibly at this. “No,” said he in disbelief, “impossible. There can’t be another Human here, can there?” He grabbed a small rectangular device from his pocket, which was revealed to be the source of the noise. “This must be my imagination,” thought he to himself. His thought was proven to be false when the voice continued.

“Overlord, come in. Do you copy? Does anyone copy?” The voice was even more panicked, and Burns responded quickly.

Burns held the device to his mouth and spoke into it. “Metal 0-4, come in,” said he, “this is Bravo 6-3. Do you read, Metal 0-4?”

“Roger,” confirmed the voice, “I read you, Bravo 6-3.”

“Good,” replied Burns. “Okay, here’s a SitRep. You’re not in Kansas anymore, Metal 0-4. You will see oddly coloured equines roaming about and talking, but do not engage. I repeat, DO NOT ENGAGE. All equines are friendly, understand?”

After a brief delay, Metal 0-4 replied slowly with, “umm, say again, Bravo 6-3. Did you say talking equines, as in horses? What the hell is that code for, Bravo 6-3?”

“There is no code, Metal 0-4,” said Burns impatiently. “This is serious. Any talking horses you see are friendly. What’s your current position?”

“Looking around,” began Metal 0-4. Between pauses, he described, “I’m in a forest of some sort. I see trees all around me.”

Then, The Doctor broke his silence and said to Burns, “let me see that device.” Burns raised an eyebrow, to which the stallion produced a small silver pen-looking tool from his bag and clarified, “with this, I can track the signal of your friend’s device, and we can find him.”

“Got it,” said Burns to the stallion. He then said into the device, “give me a second, Metal 0-4. We’ll be en route to your position momentarily.” After that, he held it to The Doctor.

The Doctor’s silver device began to glow blue at the tip, and it emanated a winding, whizzing sound. After a few seconds, the device ceased to glow and The Doctor looked at it. “Got it, he’s in Whitetail Wood,” said he blankly. “We haven’t got much time. Follow me.” With that, he trotted quickly out the door, with Berry Punch following suit.

Burns, in preparation, grabbed his mask and his gun before heading out with the ponies.

Before the trio left Berry’s house, The Doctor turned to Burns and produced a key on a chain out of his bag. “Here,” said he, tossing the key to the man, “put this around your neck.”

Burns caught the key with swift combat reflexes. “Yes, Sir,” obeyed he respectfully. With that, they exited the house.

The Doctor wove through alleys and buildings quickly as Berry and Burns kept up closely. “Where are we going, Doctor?” asked the mare, breathing heavily from lack of stamina.

“Here we are!” exclaimed the brown stallion excitedly as he came to a halt in front of a large, blue wooden box with white windows. In bright white lettering above the doors to the box were the words, “Police Public Call Box.”

“What is this?” asked Berry, cocking her head as she observed the blue box.

The Doctor and Burns answered her question simultaneously. “It’s the TARDIS,” said the pair, who looked at each other after they spoke and laughed.

“And what is a TARDIS?” asked Berry, awaiting further explanation.

“No time to explain,” said The Doctor hurriedly, “just step in.” He knocked a hoof on the wooden door, making a loud, echoing clack. With that, the door creaked open, and a brassy gold light emanated from the box. The Doctor walked into the box, and motioned for the other two to follow.

Berry stood back a bit, and asked, “are you sure we can all fit in that thing?”

At that, Burns gave a snicker. “Of course we can,” said he joyfully. With his left arm carrying a mask and a gun, he used his right arm to scoop up the small mare as he walked into the box. “Don’t be shy, Berry.”

Struggling, the mare shouted, “hey! Put me down you...” and then trailed off as she looked around the interior of the wooden box. The interior was much, much larger than the exterior: hallways and walkways ran to many doors about the walls of the room, and massive supports held the structure upright. In the centre of the room stood a giant transparent pillar, with a seemingly unorganised array of switches, knobs, wheels, and other devices at its base. “It’s... it’s...” stuttered the mare in total awe.

“Bigger on the inside?” finished the stallion and man in unison again. They laughed lightly again, and The Doctor continued, “yes, I get that a lot. Now, let’s be off, shall we?” At that, he flipped a few switches and turned a few knobs, and the entire room seemed to roar to life as a grinding, wheezing sound filled the air.