• Published 2nd May 2012
  • 508 Views, 7 Comments

Freedom Comes From Teamwork. - Carmack21



"Croft, wake up, wake up you stuburn mule, come on man we are pinned down we need you."

  • ...
 7
 508

Chapter 2: Before we go.

Chapter 2

Prologue
0300Hours, 4hours before.

“Ahhhhhh!!!” Croft yelled throwing himself from his bed side ways, and landing face down in the carpeted floor of his barracks.

His eyes were wide open trying to take in the composition of the darkened room, it was the barracks, the place where he felt safest, and it was his home. He took in the dark rooms scenery, not much to look at just a few beds, a couple chairs, an old television that only played VCR’s, and four doors each leading to a different extent of the Barracks A-2.

A hoof touched his shoulder from behind, making him jump up and quickly turn on the strange clasp. It was Ruffle, his friend and best bud since High school. Ruffles eyes seemed to look at Croft with an interrogating gaze that would make a little fill shake in their boots,

“Croft, you screamed in your sleep, you alright?” The brute colt asked, trying to get any information from his friend who now stood and was gathering the items he had fallen out of bed with

“I...I’m fine, just a little spooked at the thought that tomorrow we are taking a city…By our selves, ALONE.” Croft said, trying not to reveal the dream of his group being sent in to take the city, being meet by a volley of RPG’s, machine gun fire, and people who hated there guts.

“ALL AVAILABLE TROOPS REPORT TO THE STAGING AREA, CAF, AND APDF (Aerial Pegasus Defense Force) REPORT TO HANGER F-1, THIS IS NOT A DRILL, THIS IS REAL!” A loud voice came over the intercom, followed by the sound of colts and mares jumping from their warm bunks and gathering their gear,

“This is not a drill…” Croft repeated in his head, that only means one thing, we are going into battle.

“CAF team you are to take two Humvees, armed with a .50 and an M203 machine turret, and make your way to objective A where APDF will support your team from the roof tops. You’ll have to exit the Humvees and secure the area so we can start sending in more and more squads, after you have secured the LZ in the market, you are to link up with Sgt. Habble of the 7th Division ground crew and he will escort you out of the DMZ. Now, CAF squad, you’ll be on your own from the start of your mission, APDF will provide fire from the tops of these buildings here,” Captain Forest pointed with his hoof at three solid buildings that seemed to be surrounding the market, “Now any question?”

“Captain, this seems like madness, you are pretty much sending us into a kill box…Sir!” Clats preached to the Captain, who was quick to come back with an explanation.

“Sergeant Clatts, you know your orders. Follow them!” The Captain noted in a rather harsh voice.

Before be demoted Clats and Forest were really great friends, but when Forest blamed Clats for the killing of innocent civilians during a routine exercise, Clats was the CO and he took full punishment. Forest, became Captain for indicating Clats for the mishap. Though our testimonies meant nothing to the jury, they demoted him instead of hanging, and stuck him under the command of his old friend. We all know the truth, it wasn’t his fault, so we still follow his orders even though our superior office is Forest, and no one really listens to the new officer.

“Croft, Ruffle, Hay, Cloud, Abe, and Clats get your gear, you’re heading out at, O600 hours, don’t have too much fun.” The grimacing Captain said looking at the small squad of brothers in arms.

O400hours Croft laid his gear out, inspecting every piece. A pair of night vision goggles, around four smoke grenades all of different color, 6 frag grenades, a couple road flares, some 25 feet of heavy duty cord, eleven mags for his M16, three mags for his Beretta 9mm, his Kevlar vest, two flash lights with extra batteries, an MRE, and his helmet, oh yea, he reached under his bunk. Duck tape. All this laid out in front of him, his M16 and pistol rested in the armory which was not allowed in to the barracks, but that’s all that was missing. The need to take all precautions in the face of any type of emergency, he had all the solutions He almost forgot his med kit that was issued to each soldier. He began to pack each individual item carefully, not to leave important items at the bottom. A sound behind him bayed him away from his task at hand.

“Croft, you ready for the mission yet?” The familiar voice of an old friend perked his spirits up.

“Ya bet I’m ready Ruffle.” Croft finished packing his sack and head to claim his rifle along with Ruffle. He thought what the hay this will be easy, get in get out, what could happen, but those few words set the wheel in motion of the coming battle.