• Published 2nd May 2012
  • 508 Views, 7 Comments

Freedom Comes From Teamwork. - Carmack21



"Croft, wake up, wake up you stuburn mule, come on man we are pinned down we need you."

  • ...
 7
 508

Chapter 1

Chpater 1

Through Blurry Eyes.
O700hours

Through blurry eyes all Croft could see were his friends, no not his friends, but his brothers, proud to call himself one of their brothers. His sight grew ever more luminous; he noticed something warm and seemed to trickle ever so slowly from the side of his head. It soon came into view, it was…. Blood. His brain kicked into overdrive, trying to recall anything from what happened just a few minutes ago, nothing. His attention focused on the scene around him tearing his eyes that were so fixated on his blood stained hoofs. His obscured vision was fading, being replaced with the sight of destruction…. Where am I? Then it hit him, smacking him in the face as though he was child being scolded by his mother, I’m at war. Using little strength he turned his head to the right, Ruffle a strong colt worn down by carrying the squads 50cal, sat beside him, he looked worse then the way Croft felt. Croft knew that if he was wounded that bad, something has gone wrong, something has gone extremely wrong.

A flashback popped into his head, it was earlier that day, information he picked up from the papers on the officers table, he had assumed it was orders too stay put in the FOB and wait for further information, but it was actually advancement orders, telling The Colt Advance force to take the market in a city in the country Hayistan. It flashed forward a couple hours; the squad, consisting of Corporal Ruffle- whom is the 50cal gunner and is built as though he was five colts in one, Private Hay- a younger energetic colt with a ruff background, Private Cloud Runner- whose more quiet and stays to himself but is an excellent distance shot, Private First Class Abe- whose heritage yields a Colt in every war since the war for independence from Barbten, Sergeant Clats- a former Lieutenant who was demoted for actions that reflected badly on the army, then there was me, Private First Class Croft- a kid with no idea what he was getting into.

He was shook from the flashback, a quick jerk of a camouflaged hoof meet Crofts eyes. With a glance up he saw Abe shinning a light into his eyes.

“So sleeping beauty wakes.” Abe said.

“Huh?” Croft said with a quizzical look on his face, wondering how Abe was able to find any humor in what was going on.

“Sergeant Clats, Crofts up and ok except for his face, I doubt we can do anything to fix it.” Abe said handing craft a shard of a mirror he saw laying on the ground.

Croft looked into the shard, checking his face for what Abe meant, but nothing was wrong aside a few cuts. Abe was still joking not takeing this seriously. Abe patched a bandage around the spot on Crofts head that stung a little, after handing his rifle to Croft; he then turned and started his meticulous work on Ruffle patching up the best he could the big brute. Croft took the rifle and dragged himself to his feet, he released the mag, checked the bullets, then pulled the charging handle back releasing the bullet that was in the chamber, and aimed the rifle down the road. The cover that was surrounding the squad wasn’t the cover that Croft remembered right before he passed out, the scenery of where he was before he passed out was the inside of a Humvee.

Then it hit him magically, they were pushing fast into town, not stopping for anything. Mortars landed all around the two Humvee’s, tearing scars in the surface of the earth, small arms fire riveted the air leaving traces of dust where they landed in the sand, or pings off the sides of the Humvee’s. No one armed the M203 machine turret on their Humvee, leaving the turret hatch closed and not allowing any access of bullets that wanted to make their way in from above the squad. The two humvee’s raced towards their objective, leaving an ever fading trail behind them. Clats had taken the wheel, Ruffle sat passenger, and Croft sat in the back seat behind Clats, then… then, he drew a blank as he snapped from the flashback. He had to remain ready regardless of what happened he had to remain ready to fire. He saw a flash from a building, then a crack of a rifle.

“SNIPER!!!!!” Croft yelled, getting down behind the makeshift cover he had. He looked over at Cloud Runner who was sitting still, having his rifle pointed in the direction of the shot, Hay had the distance scope also aiming in the same direction, but he was sitting as still as Cloud. There was no way that shot was possible from the standard AR-15, but he proved Croft wrong before. He aimed, adjusted for wind, and watched. Then the crack of Clouds rifle was heard, causing the sniper to fall half way out of the window, dangling the sniper rifle in his hoof.

“Snipers KIA.” Cloud Runner said. Taking and replacing his scope for iron sights.

“Get sum!!!!!!” A ruff familiar voice came following the loud thumping of a 50cal. Could it be, was it Ruffle? Croft turned and saw the flash of bullets as they left the barrel, then his eyes moved along the gun to see the owner of the voice blasting the heavy turret in the direction that most of the enemy’s fire was coming from. He was bleeding through his ACU on his left arm, and scratches on his face showed a small trickle of blood as well, trickling downward. He saw Croft looking at him, with a small smile “What’s wrong Croft? Just because you can come back from the living dead doesn’t mean I can’t?” Croft snuck a little smile but turned and blasted as well at the enemy.

Then the worse sound ever, filled the air, CLICK!

“I need a mag now!!!” Croft yelled, reaching and searching for a mag on what remained of his ACU Kevler vest. He reached fot his mag pouch and noticed it was empty with a hole at the bottom, a stile of fear filled him, then he remembered, that one bullet that landed just a couple feet away, it was better then nothing. He looked over expecting it to rest above the sand, but what he saw took that quick second of security away. Where it landed laid brass everywhere. It was hopeless.

“Croft here, take this!” Clats passed one of his most prized possessions at Croft. It was Clats fathers .45cal Colt which he carried through the war with Istanbull.

Croft held it close knowing the importance of something so simple. He had received two pistol mags full of seven shots plus the mag in the gun. Three mags, twenty-one shots, is what stood between him and death. Croft slid the slide back, revealing the bullet in the mag, his refection shown from the shinny surface of the polished brass that rested in the chamber, it caught his eye as the slide slid forward, concealing the bullet in the barrel. Was this the way it was meant to be? Would there ever be any peace on earth, he looked around starring from face to face of each and every Colt in his squad all his brothers he might never see again. This battered gear-headed squad is suppose to take a whole city let alone the market that was so important? Why are we even here, out gunned, out numbered, out of ammo, and out of……time.




By Carmack21.