• Published 20th Jan 2018
  • 4,628 Views, 75 Comments

Poniocracy Side Stories - sunnypack

  • ...
8
 75
 4,628

Buddy!

Buddy!

“Twilight!”

Twilight’s ear twitched, but otherwise everything remained the same. Precise. Ordered. The same.

“Twi-light!”

Her ear twitched again. If she could make it stop with just sheer willpower, she would, but it was an impossible feat. Her ears had a mind of their own. Twilight sank further into her cocoon of sheets. There was time for waking up later. She was exhausted, and there was no immediate crisis.

Normally, Twilight would be up, but today was special. Special because she had decided that today would be a day she would not be disturbed. She had told all of her friends explicitly, that today was going to be a day of relaxation. Me time. Twilight Time. Twilight’s time.

Time just for Twilight.

“Twilight~!”

The different intonation of the call did not induce any form of desire to answer.

“Come now Twilight, don’t make me come in there!”

The sheets were pulled tighter. The pony willed herself to fall into a deeper sleep.

“With a blinding flash and an ostentatious screech of trumpets, assorted bells and whistles, a certain draconequus appeared, narrating his own arrival!”

Twilight sank further into her covers. Maybe if she ignored him, Discord would eventually get bored and leave her alone for once.

“Now, now, Twilight. You know I won’t leave you alone without getting what I want first.” The Lord of Chaos tittered, as if he read her mind. Which was entirely possible, Twilight didn’t know.

“Discord,” groaned Twilight from under several layers of cloth. “This is my only day off. I haven’t ever had the experience of wilfully sleeping in.” Twilight peeked out from under the covers. “I was ordered to 'sleep in' once by my parents, but I found the experience wholly unsatisfying. I want to try it out for myself.”

Discord stood there with a confused expression. He had his mouth open wide like he had been about to say something... but then he had forgotten because Twilight had thrown him off track.

Which is impossible, of course, because Discord thrives on the unexpected.

Twilight considered adding ‘alone’, but decided that mentioning she would want to do such an activity alone would only goad the draconequus into making sure she didn’t go through the experience alone.

“You know, I have something for you. Do you want to see it?”

Twilight rolled her eyes. When Discord began a sentence like that, it usually ended with something she definitely wouldn’t want.

“No thanks,” she grumbled. “Could you let me have my day off? This is the one day of the year I don’t have to stress and I’m trying to take a vacation.”

Discord frowned and summoned a calendar with a snap of his claws.

“Day off, day odd, day even… no that’s day on…” He flicked through the flip calendar, finally landing on the day’s date.

“You’re right, Twilight,” he said in surprise.

Twilight blinked.

“Well of course I’m right— wait, what? You agree with me?” Shocked silence followed as Twilight trailed off.

Discord shrugged self-consciously. “Well I wanted to invite you to a picnic because Fluttershy couldn’t make it.” He looked uncomfortable. “I, uhh, wanted to make another friend and I figured you’d—“ Abruptly he straightened. “Never mind,” he continued with a flick of his clawed hand. “It’s not important.”

Twilight climbed out of bed.

Discord cocked his head as the alicorn headed to the door.

“Weren’t you going to sleep?” he called out after her. “Isn’t this a day off for you?”

Twilight chuckled and smiled back at Discord. Apparently the reaction was so foreign that the draconequus didn’t appear have a response to it.

“I don’t have a day off for my friends,” she said and beckoned with her hoof before heading out the door.

Discord hesitated for a second before running after the alicorn.

He dropped the invitation on the ground.

He didn’t need it anyway.

It was blank.