• Published 17th Sep 2016
  • 1,407 Views, 15 Comments

Millennia: Eye of the Storm - Thunderblast



Recovery can be tough, especially for those trained for long periods to endure stressful environments. In the months following the liberation of Manehattan, a Marine deeply affected continues his fight in a gradually-losing mental battle.

  • ...
2
 15
 1,407

PreviousChapters Next
22. Home, Where the Heart Is

My hoof lifted, knocking thrice on the door frame outside of the sergeant's office, where I stood, grabbing his attention. His aqua gaze broke from the computer monitor on his deck, head turning towards the door.

"Come on in, Corporal," he demanded, focus returning to his computer, typing on the keyboard.

As told, I strode in, standing at his desk opposite of him.

"What can I help you with?" he asked, facing me now.

"Well, sir, without the second lieutenant around, I was not sure of who else to turn this in to," I replied, producing a leave request form and extending it out to Hardstaff.

He took the piece of paper, beginning to read over it. I stood calmly, observing in silence, patiently waiting on a response.

"Five days?" he looked up at me. A single nod was my answer. "Because these are all weekdays leading up to the weekend, that makes seven, technically. You know, Corporal, most mail in their leave forms."

"I tend to prefer a more immediate response, Sergeant," I commented. "Seems to work in my favor, anyways, sir."

Hardstaff nodded understandingly. "That is reasonable. Might I ask what this occasion is?"

"I... am looking to head home for a few days. It has been quite a minute." That seemed to be feasible and rather honest answer.

"Homesick?" a faint grin crossed his muzzle.

"To an extent," I countered. "I just need a little bit of time after, you know..."

The sergeant nodded again. "I cannot say I didn't see this coming after the day of the trial, Corporal," he remarked, taking an ink stamper and pressing it down on the form. He grumbled as nothing appeared beneath it, attempting a second time, with a similar result.

He raised his hoof, tossing the stamper across the small room, smacking against the wall above a trash bin, where it then fell into, caught by a thin plastic bag inside. In replacement, he used a pen, writing down on the paper, before sliding it across.

"Enjoy your time off, and be safe. I cannot stress that enough," he insisted.

I lit up, albeit not too noticeably. Picking up the form, reading the 'approved' in bright red writing in a blank space near the bottom, and nodding once firmly. "Will do. Thank you, sir."

He shook his head, waving a hoof. "Don't thank me. You've earned a little bit of off-time. Now, get out of my office," he grinned.

A short chuckle escaped my muzzle. "Yes, sir," and showed myself out, carrying along with me the leave paper.

***

Like Manehattan, Coltlumbus' infrastructure is a combination of art-deco and modern architecture. One of the tallest—at one point standing as the tallest building in the city—exhibited this mixture picture-perfectly. It was and continued to be the most notable tower in the skyline, standing at forty-seven stories and topped off with a hexagon-shaped spire of tan terracotta construct to match the building's overall appearance. Some regarded the city as the 'birthplace of art-deco' in Equestria. Though, that I just did not believe.

For only a minute did we catch a glimpse of downtown as the train exited a tunnel, crossed two bridges, and back into another tunnel that slithered beneath the North District and looping back beneath downtown, slowing as we approached the station that only temporarily brought the track above ground once more, though obscuring any sort of view by concrete walls that stood higher than the train from wheel to roof altogether, with numerous brick-styled complexes looming their shadows over the track-canal.

Two separate tracks ran alongside ours, branching off from other tunnels that headed elsewhere, eventually leading up to a diamond switch. As the train slowed, it crossed from one line to another until ultimately coming to a halt between two platforms. The track we were previously traveling down, come to find out, was occupied by another train already parked in the station.

Before the train could fully come to a halt, Ash had stood up to grab his luggage from a bin overhead. The jolt of the carriages bouncing off one another left him stumbling for a few moments and grabbing on to the side of a bench in order to break his fall. His struggle brought chuckles out of us, including him, and perhaps a couple of fellow passengers as well.

The doors automatically opened, and ponies who had stood and gathered in short lines prior disembarked out either side. Each platform was covered individually by shingled roofs suspended by stone pillars. Against the beating sun, it provided relieving shade, and especially a dry spot for when it rained. In Coltlumbus, if it rains—it pours.

Leaving the train was all too much similar to stepping into a sauna. From air-cooled cabins to the muggy, summer-heat outdoors wasn't the most pleasant of transitions. It could not have been more than a few seconds before I was already sweating from head to tail.

Anchorage about quite literally melted as soon as he exited the train. He might have been just a bit melodramatic after his hooves collapsed out from under him. "The fuck is this shit?!" he huffed.

"Welcome to Coltlumbus," I sardonically replied with a clever grin, wheeling my luggage behind.

The pegasus grimaced, "I think I already hate this place," shaking moisture from his wings and trotting after us to catch up.

Significantly larger than Canterlot's, the Coltlumbus Train Depot extended a whole train length with pedestrian bridges built to cross tracks safely—one of the similarities between here and Manehattan, albeit different scales. In similar fashion to Manehattan's as well, the building itself utilized a similar material and art-deco design. Many arches lined the platform side and the entrance face, with the taller of the arches leading into the main doors and a hall that stretched to the opposite end.

On one side sat designated waiting areas and check-in counters with enormous wrought iron-grid windows looking out to the tracks, with taller, more-narrow frames facing the street. The other direction took ponies to a food court, a couple of gift shops, and many vendor stands—basically the necessities for a transport hub.

An decorative circular booth in the center of the hall with wooden racks around it displayed magazines, newspapers, as well as free maps and brochures for tourists. Each of us took one of both. Above the racks plastered numerous colorful posters advertising ConFest and its venues in the masses.

Without the need for checking in anywhere at the station, we headed around the booth and to the main exit, bringing us out on to cobble streets. While busy due to the evening rush, no one could truly compare the crowds to Manehattan's. No way.

"All right, so, where's the Mareaton at?" questioned Ash, scanning around. It seemed more of a question for me solely.

"It isn't far. Come on, I know exactly where it is," I answered, leading the three onto the street toward the center of downtown.

The overall atmosphere of the city caught up after a couple of minutes. The sights, smells, all of it returning felt overwhelming at first. My former stomping grounds, they were every which way around me. In my head, the voice muttered: I am home.

City center invariably packed out the most of any other area in town. After all, many hot, one-time eateries occupied the area. Many would gather around the Arena District just a few blocks north of downtown for the upcoming festivities. That is sure to be chaos when the time comes. Hell, it is right this minute!

Veering left on to Bridle Street, beyond the grassy grounds surrounding the Coltlumbus Courthouse, there stood the Mareaton, a hotel high rise standing twenty stories, with an adjacent tower not owned by the hotel shadowing it by another five floors. At the top of the diagonal face of the hotel read a sign lit up in bright read, reading Mareaton Coltlumbus.

***

Walking into the hotel lobby, two lines about seven or eight ponies in length each stood between us and concierge. It couldn't be more obvious that they were here for ConFest, too. It was noted that a couple of them had not made reservations in advance and, as a result, held up the line while they argued with the employees attending the front desk, attempting to reason with them in order to grab a room in the rapidly-occupying place.

So, due to this, it left the four of us miserable as time snailed past. It had to have been at least twenty minutes since walking inside when the mare and her colt gave up and headed out, complaining all of the way, loud enough for everypony else to hear. Some went as far as cheering when the door shut behind them, and at long last, the line was moving.

"Hey, Star, know any good places to catch some grub around here?" Ash called from across the lobby, returning from a rather short excursion down the hall to scope out the first-floor amenities.

My ear flicked and pinned back, bringing a hoof up to run it through the back of my mane. "I know a few, but, it has been a while. I hope they are still around."

"Well, we have maps and brochures! We will find something. Surely a lot has changed since then, right?" Night joined in.

A small frown curved my lips. "Coltlumbus is a ghost city, and by ghost city, I mean, it is practically invisible to the rest of Equestria. Until something happens, of course. Always overlooked. Would not surprise me if they never finished renovating East Town Mall."

"Ooh! A mall? Where at?" Ash questioned with a rather fervid smile. Each of us gave him dissimilar glances, where he blushed in embarrassment. "So what if I enjoy spending hours at a mall? They are cool!"

I rolled my eyes, continuing. "Well, East Town is enormous. The central mall is just one massive building, two floors of shops. Hell, even has a movie theater above all of it. Around that is blocks upon blocks of strip retail and major stores, whiiiich, is all still being built up, I imagine. Like I said, not much interest to build if we're invisible on a map."

"Well, then. For Ash's sake, we'd better plan on making a little trip over there some time, aye?" Anchorage turned to the moss-green stallion with a cheeky smirk. "'Cause little filly over here's gotta get her shopping fix, am I right?"

Ash returned his smirk with a chagrined glower, which eventually fixed into a cunning and smug grin. "Yeah, and while we're at it, I'll look for a stallion's club for you to hang out at. It's a sailor's favorite place, after all."

Anchorage's complacency vanished in an instant. "Hmph," was his response, turning his nose up, bringing suppressed snickers out of us.

Eventually came our turn to the counter. Being the basic rooms the Mareaton had to offer, two beds each, Ash and Anchor would share one suite, while Night and I would share another. Much to our disappointment, no two beside one another were vacant. Because of this, our rooms were on separate floors.

After collecting our card keys, the four of us packed into an elevator. Ash and Anchorage's room was on the eleventh floor, while ours sat on the fifth, along an intersection-facing corner of the building. The hotel overall, due to its position, did not have the nicest of views. Ours couldn't have been better, while some had the sides of buildings to stare at, or dark alleys. We would learn later on whether or not the partners-in-crime were pleased with theirs.

The two of us hopped off the elevator on our floor, leaving them to head further up. Down to the right, the final door once more on the right, and into the suite. While simple, it definitely topped the crumbling one in Valor Lake. Occupying the room were a pair of queen-sized beds with a spruce nightstand separating them, a dresser with a flat-screen television on top, and a glass table-like desk with a chair, likely for working purposes for businessponies.

The bathroom was not anything special. Brown granite counter tops, a clean toilet, and a spacey sliding glass door shower. It would certainly serve our needs for the time here.

Lugging our bags in, we dropped them on to our respective beds—following an argument as to who receives which. I submitted to granting Nightpath the bed closest to the window, which, in reality, looped continuously around two of the four corners of the room. Even the bathroom had one! Thankfully, the way the shower had been built into the wall rather than placed against it could prevent anypony on the streets from properly observing. Not that it mattered much. After all, we were on the fifth floor.

Without a moment to unpack, we were out the door again, returning to the elevator to head down and meet back up with Ash and Anchor. Upon exiting back into the now-busier lobby, with lines now stretching beyond the doors, Night and I exchanged glances, and began squeezing between ponies politely to reach the door.

Neither of us knew how many ponies could truly pack into one hotel until this very moment. All but a couple mixed in between had their registration paperwork produced and prepared for their turn to snatch a suite. Those without having booked prior to now might as well just step out of line and begin searching for another place to spend the week.

Shock crossed our faces exiting the building, seeing chaos on the streets as those patiently waiting extended further around either corner of the block! Just how many could fit in this place?! Surely we had not arrived with impeccable timing this evening, could we?

We set up temporarily on an empty bench across the street, awaiting to regroup with Ash and Anchor and head off to find some dinner. Either of us anticipated some time before they would, considering the amount of ponies filling the lobby and likely the elevators, too.

My stomach growled with hunger, as did Night's a moment later. As time passed, Night stood. "You think they are unpacking or some shit?"

I shrugged. "Could be. We never told them to come right back down. I doubt it would take this long, though."

The draft stallion's gaze shifted to the entrance, still flooding with ponies in two single-file lines. His stomach rumbled audibly a second time, and Night let off a groan.

"I'll go in and try to find them. Wait here, alright?"

"Fine by me," I nodded, waving my hoof.

It only took a few seconds for the crowds to gobble him entirely, even for his notably varying height compared to most. Poor Night. Now he would have to wait for an elevator, assuming it isn't filled to the brim with ponies large and small attempting to fit as many as possible.

I rose from the bench, stretching out a bit. For the ten minutes spent sitting still, my back ached from the rough bench seat. Not exactly the most comfortable of places to sit. Hell, cobblestone was far less firm than it!

But then, everything came to a halt. Time itself, too, probably. My ears perked to a nearby sharp gasp, one all too familiar. Then came the words.

"Oh my gosh, honey, look who it is! STAR!"

The blood in my veins froze solid over, and every one of my muscles tensed as I came to a sudden halt. I knew that voice. My pupils shrunk, and a lump clogged my pipe.

Turning to look over my shoulder, my jaw fell open.

"Mom, Dad?"

Right as I turned around, it was as if I had been struck by an oncoming train in a streak of three alternating shades of blue. A pair of hooves looped tight around my neck in a near-headlock. Had there not been any warning, she might not have reached me in time with defensive reflexes. Now I stood in the middle of a street, trapped in a sort of lung-crushing bear hug with no air flow in or out. One would not be able to tell if I were choking due to the tone of my coat.

"Staaaaaar!!" the mare wailed, trembling and sobbing, squeezing tighter as if she wasn't already killing me with this hug. It took all of what strength was left to pry her off, and as soon as she unclamped...

Sweet, sweet oxygen. Oh, how I missed you! I coughed roughly, gasping as the curtains reopened. Any longer in her death grasp and I might have easily bit the dust.

"It's... good to see you too, Mom," I hacked out, sharply exhaling and rubbing at my throat with a hoof.

The greyish-blue pegasus mare whimpered behind her hoof over her mouth, eyes wide, glassy, and flowing with tears, with her ears almost perfectly flat to the horizon as she shook in utter surprise.

It wasn't more than a few seconds after when a larger earth stallion—coat of a midnight blue a couple of shades darker than my own, a short-trimmed, grizzling presidential mane and an extremely short tail—paced himself steadily on his approach. His expression held true to that of a former soldier.

"So, you have returned, after all of this time..." he grumbled, an increasingly-hostile look growing on his face. "Five years, was it? Five years next month?"

"Hi," was all I said in return, eyes narrowing. While far less intimidating, I wore my own unwelcoming glare.

"I-I can't believe y-you're back, Star!" my mother sobbed, trotting up and opening her hooves to pull me into another clasp.

This time, I reached out a hoof to catch her chest and keep her from reaching, taking a couple of steps backwards. "Don't hug me, Mom. One is enough."

The menacing olive scowl of my father thickened, his head raising to try and look tall above me. "How dare you speak to your mother that way! That is no way to treat a mare, son."

"I'm sorry, who are you supposed to be again?" I cocked my head.

The stallion's teeth clenched, and he swooped in closer to stand protectively in front of Mom, pressing a hoof roughly into my chest. "I am your FATHER! You shall address me as such, and you will respect your parents like an ordinary colt would!"

Receiving a gentle shove from him, believing it would remind me who he was, I instead remarked with somewhat tolerant exasperation. "Oh, so the 'sir' and 'ma'am' gimmick is gone, now? That's certainly new. I've sure missed a lot, haven't I, father?"

My father grit his teeth angrily. "You've always been a disrespectful little shit to us. Hah, it's no surprise your generation is failing our country!"

I rolled my eyes at that. "How original of an insult. Always the last resort for ponies your age or older. What is that from, 2005? I almost feel like I should be offended, but I'm not! Oh, no, what ever shall I do?"

A second, harder shove threw me back a few paces. Without hesitation, a thrust of both hooves forced the stallion back as well.

"Well, haven't you grown some muscle?" he observed. "What is it you've been doing?"

"Don't you ever touch me again. I won't say it another time," I threatened, body lowered into a defensive posture.

"You do not tell me what to do. I am your father!" he barked, stomping a hoof.

He was about to charge, when a shout came from behind me. "Hey, hey!" A white blur swooped over, landing between the two of us. On either side of me rushed up Nightpath and Ashfall, joining Anchorage in their small shielding line. "Is there a problem here?"

"Move it, asswipes! I am about to discipline my son the way I should have long ago!" growled my father, throwing his hoof to the side in a gesture, fixing his gaze on to me behind them.

"Your son?" Ash's ears perked, neck straightening. Both Night and Anchor's eyes grew wide, and the three all glanced over their shoulders.

My gaze darted between them, then I sighed deeply. "Guys, meet Diamond Spice and Star Scraper. They... are my parents."

"About time he says it, now treat us as such!"

"Hold up, hold up," Anchorage stepped off to the side, motioning his hoof as he looked between us. "Star, these are your parents?"

With annoyance, tossing a glare in their direction, I nodded. "Unfortunately."

"And just who are these shameful displays?" groused my father.

I focused temporarily on Mom, directing my question to her specifically. "If I explain, will you promise not to break down again?"

Wiping tears from the ducts of her eyes, she nodded, crossing a hoof over her chest.

My hoof gestured to the three individually. "Anchorage, Ashfall, Nightpath. They are my friends."

"That's wonderful, sweetie! I am happy that you are happy to have friends—"

"I met them at work."

"Even better! There is nothing greater than sharing an office with—"

"In the Lunar Marines."

"WHAT?!"

Mom's shocked, ear-piercing screech halted ponies for an entire block surrounding us. The four of us winced in our own way as she did. Her eyes dilated crazily tiny, while Dad's actually grew with... curiosity?

"You... joined the military?!" she gasped out.

A nod followed after a couple of seconds of hesitation. "Yes, Mom, I did."

"Wh—how—when—why?!"

"It's a long story, Mom," I responded flatly. "And, re—honestly, we don't have all night."

"Why do you say that?" grumbled Dad.

I glanced to him, faintly squinting. "Because we are hungry. We have had a long day of traveling, and we are looking for someplace to eat."

Mom gasped, a wide grin suddenly crossing her muzzle. "Oh! Why don't you four have dinner at Villa Nevis with us? We were just headed there for a late anniversary dinner. But, now that you're back, Star, let us celebrate that instead!"

I grimaced, hoof lifting. "Thanks, but, n—"

"That sounds wonderful!" Anchorage interrupted, stepping ahead. "We would love to. Won't we, guys?" Night and Ash nodded. I shook my head.

"We were just scanning our brochures from the station," Ash began. "Lead us to this... Villa Nevis!"

"Great!" Mom clapped her hooves in excitement, while Dad stood there, unwavering all across. "Follow us! It's only a few blocks west of here!"

They started in the direction they came from and continued around a corner. As soon as they disappeared, I snapped back at the three, glaring icy daggers at each. "Thanks, guys. That is just precisely what I wanted this evening!"

Then, with much reluctance, I trotted after my parents.

Author's Note:

And so it happens. We meet Star's parents at last. Now, how will he explain his position to his mother? How will his father react?

PreviousChapters Next