• Published 15th Mar 2015
  • 2,766 Views, 63 Comments

Millennia: Beginning - Thunderblast



Star Shooter is your average pegasus. He does everything everypony else does. There is just one thing that stands him out from the crowd; he is a Marine.

  • ...
7
 63
 2,766

27. A Little Favor

Within ten minutes of the city coming into view, Shadow was in constant contact with the Manehattan Port Authority as they redirected other nearby vessels to make way for our arrival, all the while the flight controllers ordering a few of the pilots we had on board to hop in their jets and depart to that same air base near the city they usually went to when we wrapped up deployments. One by one, the jets were catapulted off of the flight deck and at the speed they traveled, were out of sight within half of a minute.

Just then, Shadow hung the bridge's phone up and turned to all of us, clearing his throat. "Listen up, I've been told ponies from local news stations are waiting on base. They won't leave until they each get their own share of the story. I'm not fond of lying, but I recommend to all of you that if somepony asks to interview you, tell them the opposite of what happened or just walk away. If the real story gets out, panic will spread like the plague, and everypony will think we're going to war again."

Our orders were as clear as they could get; just avoid any paparazzi that will come out of this. As easy as it sounded, I figured it would be difficult. After speaking, Shadow seated himself back down and returned his attention to the approaching metropolis. Minutes after the sun had completely set, the ship slowly passed beneath the Manehattan bridge, where we saw tens of hundreds of ponies were standing, watching our damaged vessel make it's way into the harbor, assuming they all had word of the incident in some sort of way.

"Private," Shadow said, grabbing my attention. I looked up and saw him staring at me. "Just saying, you're welcome to leave the bridge. We're home now."

I stared for a full few seconds, and shook my head slowly. "No sir. I'll stay until we dock," and so I did.

A few more minutes had passed, and by that time, the Eclipse was fully docked and in the process of shutting down. Upon being tied to the pier, I shut off the radar and SONAR screens with the click of a button, and each of us in the room left one by one, Shadow and Arc being the last two to leave. Me and the rest of the crew split up on the level in which our sleeping quarters were located and went in either direction to our rooms.

The door to my shared quarters was already wide open, and as I walked in, I came across Ashfall and Nightpath finishing up packing, Ash whom was packing two bags.

"Hey," I smiled softly to them both as I walked inside. "Where's Anchorage?"

"Getting checked out from the medical ward. I'm packing his things for him. He won't be able to carry his bag so I'm taking it with me, I'll give it to him when we get back to our barrack," Ashfall said while he zipped the bags shut and checking to see if he forgot anything else.

"How's he doing today?" I asked, walking up to my bunk and pulling my bag out from underneath, it being already packed from that morning.

"Still the same northern grump..." Ash chuckled softly. "He's ecstatic to finally be out of that confined space. I would be too to be real honest with ya."

I chuckled as well. "I betcha five bits he'll jump into a snow mound the moment he steps hoof off the ship."

"Hey, no one has to bet. We all know that's what will happen," Ash turned towards me and grinned, then looked up at Nightpath. "Finished yet?"

"Nearly," Night replied, his tail swishing slightly as it hung off the edge of his bed and in my face while I sat on mine. Recoiling back, I glared up at him, specifically his annoying tail. Soon after, a grin crossed my muzzle and I motioned for Ash to watch, which he did. Then, I opened my maw and bit down on Night's tail, causing him to yelp with surprise. "Ow! Who's doing that?!" He reached back and began swatting down but not hitting me.

Ash immediately began wheezing with laughter, slapping his leg and cackling as I spat out Night's tail and began chuckling myself. A moment later, Night's annoyed face popped down and stared directly at me, but the way he looked upside down only made the situation more amusing. I expected him at any moment to swing a hoof around and knock me into the wall just inches behind where I was sitting, but much to my surprise he just pulled himself back up and resumed what he was doing, mocking our laughs while doing so.

Less than a few minutes later, we vacated our room with our belongings and made our way through the slowly-overcrowding hallways as sailors and Marines stepped off of the damaged carrier and reunited with friends and family members. Once we were finally back on solid ground, the three of us were surprised to find Anchorage was already off and being mauled lovingly by his mother who from a distance appeared to be squeezing the air from his lungs, and quickly after, it wasn't just his mane that was blue anymore.

Me and Ash chuckled, watching Anchorage's father pry the mare off of the poor pegasus, Ash walking over to the three, Anchorage's mother then latching onto the green earth pony but not-as-easily crushing the breath out of him. It wasn't until a moment later where I realized the atmosphere wasn't nearly as bittersweet as I believed it would be. Those who were sobbing at our return weren't letting out tears of joy for a melancholy reason. Sailors were lost on our voyage, and despite my constant efforts to forget what happened, I still found it difficult to cope with the memory of watching two of the four lost that day disappear right before my eyes, their lives taken, the sons of a waiting family torn from them.

I now truly knew what my own father experienced during his time. I always believed it to be awful, but no one could truly picture in their mind from the point of view of the soldiers around at the time of their death just how awful it actually was, yet now I veritably could. Seeing my fellow Marines and sailors once again back with their families, and how they appeared to feel, it made me, for once, feel grateful my parents weren't there. My mother nearly lost it when my father came back, to have me go back to her from a similar incident would devastate her to the point of death most likely.

Snapping back to reality, I peered over at the taller brown earth pony standing beside me, his ears fallen limp on his head while he scanned over the ponies all around. His nose wrinkled slightly as he choked tearfully. I could almost literally feel my heart sink as I stared at him. He was close to a mental breakdown, and to at least show I was there, I gently looped a hoof around his neck. Night slowly turned and looked at me, tears sitting in the corner of his eyes, I looked right back with an abetting stare.

"You're not alone here..." I spoke softly so only he could hear, the moment only becoming more depressing the longer I eyed the visibly heartbroken stallion. Without a word, Night took hold of me in a tight embrace, the once rough pony now weeping into my shoulder while I wrapped both hooves around him. So much had occurred over a short period of time, and to speak for the both of us, we were thankful to still be alive, but dispirited at what was now absent.

I had closed my eyes for a brief few moments while I held the distressed stallion, and when I did look forward, I saw a white pegasus in Marine camouflage standing before us. I glanced up at him, seeing it was Lieutenant Snow Storm. He looked over the both of us with a not-so confused look, and more of a stare of concern with one brow furrowed.

"Is uh... everything alright over here?" He asked innocently.

I shook my head and admitted, "Could be better. The mood around here isn't exactly the best."

Snow nodded, then sighed. "I understand. I'll give you two some time, but when you're done I expect to see you at my barrack. Alright?"

I nodded back. "What's your barrack number, sir?"

"214," Snow said. "I'll order some food and we'll talk," he added.

"Sounds good to me," I said. "See you in a bit."

"Likewise," he replied, turning and walking away.

***

It was a good twenty or so minutes before I left Night alone after walking him to our barrack. At the time he seemed rather needy for my presence than usual, but the lieutenant was interested in talking to me as soon as possible. It took a couple of more minutes to convince him I would be back later, and when I finally managed to, I was on my way to Snow Storm's barrack situated farther across the base, where the one-occupant dorm rooms were. I figured it must have been nice to have a room just to himself with no one to pester him other than his fellow high-ranking neighbors.

Trotting through the open-central and fully lit corridor of the two story building, I stopped at the door with the number 214 placed in fine silver right beside it and knocked politely. A few moments later, the door opened, and there stood the uniform-less lieutenant with a warm smile. "Ah, Star. I was wondering when you would show up. Come on in!" He stepped off to the side.

I smiled softly back and stepped inside, out of the brisk air. "Thank you. Nice place you got here."

"Ah, thank you," Snow said, shutting the door behind me. "For a military base, one would expect less-luxurious housing or none at all for ranks above First Sergeant. Typically they keep things tight in such a small space the city granted to the base commanders, seeing how they fit two or more ponies in one barrack room now. But aside from that, grab a plate in the kitchen. Pizza got here a couple of minutes ago and I didn't want to eat without you."

"You really didn't have to order food just for our little talk, but, thank you," I smiled and did as Snow suggested, opening the cardboard pizza box and taking a couple of steaming hot slices and putting them onto a paper plate.

"Well, I know you're probably sick of the crap they serve on the ships. Plus, I didn't know how long you would want to stay. I know some of you privates get anxious around ponies of my rank and make excuses just to leave," Snow chuckled, grabbing some pizza for himself before taking a seat on the recliner in his small living room.

"I would never unless I actually had a good reason to fear you," I grinned and sat down on the small adjacent couch. "Besides, you're somepony who is a bit more open to talk to which is a huge relief to somepony like myself."

"Hey, you're not that much of a quiet pony. At least, not from what I've seen. Apart from the fact that you aren't fond of seeking others for help," he took a bite.

"Aw, come on, around other ponies I am typically not that good with communication. I sound the opposite only due to me being around higher ranks frequently," I chuckled and also began to eat. Damn, this was some good pizza.

Snow gulped down the bite he had taken, "Well, you're respectful around ponies with higher power. That's always a good thing," he waved a hoof, then sat up straight. "But now let's get to serious matters."

I nodded for him to go on, still chewing as I ate the first slice halfway.

"Alright, Star, here's the deal," Snow started. "One of my ponies picked up on a cryptic message sent over the internet and a phone line that traces all the way back to a town called Griffonstone. It's a pretty secluded town in the Northern Kingdoms that, as far as we know, can only be reached by train," he explained before pausing to take another bite of his food.

"Okay, so, Griffonstone, cryptic message, internet. What was it all about, and how did you get word of it?" I asked, too inquisitive in the information to eat any further.

"My team specializes in cyber threats, such as detecting them and preventing something before it happens. My first sergeant was tinkering with a new program she introduced to us and picked up on the message. The tech itself is the most advanced our military has ever seen and so far it has proved itself to be worth the thousands of bits put into it. Anyways, like I said, she was messing around trying to pick up on anything that would provide a lead on the piracy issue in the central Antlertic when she caught hold of said encrypted email," Snow explained further.

"The email itself contained a code linked to a page elsewhere that she unfortunately was unable to crack, but the message apart from the links itself is ominous. She printed it off for me to give to you, and then to your commanding officer," he said, taking out a small piece of folded paper and handed it to me.

"Thank you very much," I took the piece of paper gently and unfolded it, and once it was fully unraveled I began to read.

Operation is a go. Our teams did what they could on the Eclipse but failed miserably. Nonetheless, one of them survived and is in custody. He's still feeding information on the status of the ship. It is being decommissioned for repairs and won't be setting sail any time soon. Once the last package arrives, we'll be set. Get the word to the general, he will be pleased. Equestria shall no longer treat us as weak fools when they watch their great cities fall to our will.

I read over the message carefully for a good couple of minutes before handing it back to the lieutenant. "So the attack a few days ago was a diversion?"

"If our suspicions prove correct, then yes. Those griffons and ponies are part of a much larger militia that formed a couple of years back. Their mission is to bring Equestria and Griffonia back into war and conflict. That's literally all they want. The reason they formed was when Princess Celestia met with the Prime Minister of the Northern Griffon Kingdoms and signed a peace and trading treaty. But they don't just fight for the northern kingdoms, they do it for all of the Griffon race."

"And... the ponies that accompany them. Why are there ponies fighting with them?" I queried, giving him a puzzled look of concern.

"They're mainly ponies that have been deported for hate speech against the princesses, a couple of them having issued actual threats towards them and high-ranking members of the royal cabinet. Basically traitors against their own country. The worst part is, what you saw was nothing in comparison to the actual size of their combined militia," Snow sighed, sitting back into his chair.

"Okay. But, sir-"

"Call me Snow, I am not in uniform," he waved a hoof.

"Alright, Snow. What is this militia's name? I'd like to know everything about them."

"They call themselves the Great Gryphon Constitution. It is currently unknown how many members they have under their influence, but with their weaponry and tactics, they would very easily overwhelm the Royal Guard should they attempt an assault on our capitol. However, according to this message, they seem to be picking a bigger fight. They want us Marines to go to war with them. That's why they're planning to hit us in some way."

"So, they're planning some sort of attack. We won't be caught off guard in any way now that we know they're plotting something. From the sounds of it, whoever is in charge isn't that bright."

"I wouldn't question their intelligence, Star. Look how many vessels they've boarded over the last year, stealing weapons and other goods to help their cause and hiding the contraband wherever they hide out. Who knows, they're probably already here and we're just not seeing them. If they have ponies on their side, surely they're blending in with the crowd. But listen," Snow then sat up to retrieve something. "I have a little favor to ask you."

"Of course," I relaxed some, then remarked in a slight sense of sarcasm, "Let me guess, more practice on my aim?"

Snow chuckled softly. "Not quite. I need you to deliver this intel to the palace in Canterlot. Your best bet at arranging a briefing is to talk to a guard, ask to meet with one of the princesses or somepony of authority that can help our cause. Feel free to read over what is in there so you have an idea of what the hell you're informing them about, just make sure no one is a shoulder glance away from spreading bad news. Last thing we want is for mass hysteria."

He then handed a somewhat hefty manila folder with an assortment of paper information within. "Besides, the little trip will give you some time to let go. In the meantime, I'll speak to the head of your command to let them know you are running errands for me."

"Good enough for me," I placed the folder down under my wing to hold it close. "I won't let you down."

"I trust you won't," Snow offered a smirk. "Now, since I believe you need to know more about the Constitution..."

***

With my bag by my side and an express ticket in my hoof, I waited patiently at the Manehattan train station first thing in the morning for my ride to Canterlot to arrive. The night before was spent mostly talking and learning more about the band of griffons and ponies behind the attacks and discussing the message one of his squad members got a hold of, the same note I was on my way to deliver. I yawned softly, eyelids slightly baggy from a near-restless night of sleep.

I expected the lieutenant to have only given me a couple of days to travel and come back, meaning I'd have at least one night to spend at home to relax, knowing over time, relaxation would become something less common in life, especially under the current circumstances. The train pulled into the station, and once those of us waiting were allowed to, we boarded the train and some more time later were on our way to Canterlot.

As I sat watching trees race by, a strange sense that I was being watched crept up my spine, and a couple of times I found myself to be looking at my surroundings and shift about. The car I was in was empty for the most part, aside from a couple of chatty and giggly mares exchanging stories across the aisle from my seat, and a businesspony reading a newspaper a couple of rows down. It took a third look around to fully ease my muscles and focus on the day ahead. But maybe a little nap first.

I closed my eyes for just a short bit, and seemingly minutes later I was shaken back to consciousness by the jolt of the train coming to a halt in Canterlot. I stretched my hooves in my seat and stood up on all fours, taking my bag and trotting out the open door where the conductor was welcoming passengers to the magnificent capital city. Upon standing outside, the freezing air was enough to wake me up completely to a point where I didn't need a cup of coffee to focus anymore. As I trotted out of the train, I glanced up to the clock that sat above the platform and realized it was late-afternoon, giving me plenty of time to drop my things off at my apartment and head over to the palace.

Of course, with it being as cold as it was outside, I had thankfully remembered to grab my cold weather things before leaving and dug into one of the smaller pockets of my bag, pulling the dark blue beanie snug on my head and protecting my ears from the bitter, stinging air, then continued my way into the city.

Much of Canterlot had significantly high piles of snow sitting in certain spots on the edge of the streets, the cobble ground having noticeably being cleared of the same snow recently, only implying a storm had blown through the area lately, most likely a day or two beforehand. Nonetheless, there was little issue getting to my apartment apart from few icy spots I came across on my way there.

I had my keys ready while I walked up the somewhat slippery metal staircase that led to my second-floor apartment. I stopped at my doorstep, setting my bag down and inserted the key into the lock and twisted it, a faint click making my ear twitch as the door unlocked and I pushed it open. I picked my bag back up and moved to step inside but was stopped by the squeal of a mare and the loud metallic thud. I snapped my head backwards, dropping my bag and running around the staircase to a tan mare laying on the ground, groaning softly in pain.

"Sweet Celestia, Rose. Are you alright?" I knelt down to her, eyes widened.

She gently shook her head as she regained her surroundings, then slapped a hoof to her forehead, eyes opening wide. "I... I think so," she muttered, taking the hoof I reached out to her gently and standing with wobbly hooves, stumbling once only to be caught by me this time. "Oh!" Rose gasped then stood up straight, sighing and laughing a bit. "I'm so sorry. I keep forgetting to page the Staircase Services and have them come get rid of the ice."

I chuckled softly. "I didn't know that's a thing. On the other hoof, are you sure you're alright?" I rested a hoof on her shoulder, staring at her with concern still.

"I've had worse falls," Rose smiled. "I had no idea you'd be back in town so quickly. Everything going fine?"

"For the most part," I shrugged. "I'm only here today and tomorrow. It's mainly work-related stuff, but that I'm going get done today while I have the time."

"Work-related things, huh?" Rose smiled and brushed a strand of her mane from her eye. "What kind of things? Recruitment?"

"Oh, er..." I paused for a moment and wrinkled my muzzle, debating whether or not I should tell her. "I don't believe I have the freedom to say."

"I understand that," Rose smiled and giggled softly. "You military stallions are always mysterious yet so adorable. Well then, I won't let myself get in the way of your duties."

"Oh, no no, you're not. I just came by to drop my things off then head out. I don't think I'll be doing what I need to do for too long."

"Hmm, well, in that case... whenever you finish, would you care for some dinner at my place?" Rose asked gleefully and smiled warmly, her eyes twinkling at the same time.

"Sure, why not?" I smiled back. "I'd love that."

"I only figured you would since you've been on the train for so long, you're probably exhausted," Rose gently nosed my neck and giggled.

"A little, yeah. Heh heh," I chuckled a bit awkwardly this time, feeling my cheeks heat up slightly despite the frigid winter air.

"Perfect!" The tan mare gave my cheek a quick peck and hopped a couple of times in front of me with a sparkling smile. "See you later!" then trotted happily but carefully down the stairs.

"Right, I'll see you later!" I answered, laughing a bit more in some embarrassment as I watched Rose hop down the stairs and gallop onto the street, nearly knocking over a poor mare carrying a bag of groceries. My smile then faded as I remembered what I was about to do before Rose literally fell into view.

I trotted back around the staircase and to the door, bringing my bag inside and setting it on the couch. I opened the zipper and pulled out a freshly cleaned uniform from it, changing out of the warm hoodie I had on and buttoning up the heavier-than-usual camouflage jacket built for colder climates, then took the small folded letter from out of the bag and sticking it into one of the pockets on my uniform and buttoning it up. I made my way back outside, locking the door to my apartment and trotting carefully down the ice-covered staircase with a hoof on the railing to ensure if I do fall, I wouldn't bang my head like Rose did.

***

The palace seemed to sparkle in the sun even more than it normally did having snow coating the golden spire-rooftops, the enormous building itself being decorated for Heart's Warming both inside and out. As I walked at a steady pace through the hallways, I peered around at the different decorations as they were hung up by palace decorators with the help of a couple of unicorn guards.

I stopped at the end of the entrance's hallway and looked either way, deciding which way to go to find somepony I could talk to, turning down the corridor to the right and coming across a much larger room with two rounded staircases leading up to a balcony within the room with another hallway behind it. The room itself seemed strangely familiar and I found myself trotting up the staircase and down the smaller hallway which then led to a massive room that was rounded with glass overlooking Equestria at the end with a massive statue of two alicorns standing opposite of each other, where I then realized I was in the palace's ball room.

My eyes widened slightly as I looked around. "Whelp, wrong room," then turned to head back out of the room and start over, instead instantly froze in my tracks, seeing a tall, all-white coated alicorn mare standing there, her multicolored mane waving gently in a breeze that just wasn't there, her light pink eyes gazing over me as I stood practically frozen in place, staring right back at her.

Instinct of respect then hit me like an oncoming freight train, and I bowed down directly in front of the regal alicorn. "P-Princess Celestia! I-I... I am so terribly sorry, I do not know my ways around the palace a-and... well..." I sputtered

The mare let out a soft laugh as she sauntered up, a gentle smile shining over me like the sun itself as the princess stopped just in front of me. "No worries, this happens quite more often than you think with tourists. It is absolutely no issue with me," she looked down and smiled more, only then taking notice of my attire while I stood up straight. "Your uniform, it strikes me as familiar. Which branch are you attached to?"

Staring up with awe and a bit of nervousness, I swallowed a lump blocking my throat and spoke. "Lunar Marine Corps. 24th Battalion, 5th Marines, based in Manehattan."

"Ah, so my sister's side of the forces," Princess Celestia retained her warm smile. "She has made some impressive work raising her new military to be as well-trained as you ponies are today. I am relieved it hasn't gone to her head again yet," she joked, then let out a soft chuckle. "That aside, what can I do for you, my little pony?"

I gently eased myself, then reached into my bag and extracted the folder out, holding it out in my hoof. "Your Highness, I apologize once more for arriving without notice, but... well, I was previously expecting to have to go through somepony to speak to you directly."

I drew in a breath, shaking off any fear I had in me. Snow wanted the job done, I was going to do it. "I have information of deep urgency for you to be briefed on, ordered by Lieutenant Snow Storm, Lunar Marines. It is imperative that you arrange a meeting, sometime today, to discuss the matter amongst your peers."

Author's Note:

So, things are beginning to heat up. I should also warn you all, come next chapter, there will be a massive plot twist. Can you guess what it is?