• Published 15th Mar 2015
  • 2,766 Views, 63 Comments

Millennia: Beginning - Thunderblast



Star Shooter is your average pegasus. He does everything everypony else does. There is just one thing that stands him out from the crowd; he is a Marine.

  • ...
7
 63
 2,766

21. Beneath Luna's Moon

Just two days after returning to Equestria after my first deployment, I was told to head to the Lieutenant's office to have some post-deployment paperwork done. I didn't have a clue what it was for, but I went with it.

The lieutenant's office was situated in the same low-rise office building I came to when I first arrived after enlisting and was a couple of floors up, near the top of the building itself. I took the stairs up and quickly I found myself on the third floor where I walked down the main hallway in search of his office. No one had told me anything about where his office was other than the building and floor number, so I simply went with looking over the whole floor until I found it.

Since the building itself was half atrium that one could look off of the edge of the floors and down to the lobby, with the wall of windows facing out towards the Manehattan skyline, it wasn't difficult to find a certain office. Soon, I found a small thin gold plate bolted into the wall beside a door with LT. ARC NOBIS on it. Bingo.

I lifted a hoof and gave a gentle but audible knock on the door.

"Come in," came a voice from inside.

I opened the door and stepped inside, shutting it behind me before standing at attention and saluting the lieutenant. "Good afternoon, lieutenant."

Arc looked up from his desk, standing up and saluting back. "Good afternoon, private. What can I do for you?"

I dropped my salute. "I was told to come here to complete post-deployment paperwork."

"Ah, yes, that's right," he sat back down in his chair and picked up a pen. "Have a seat," he pointed to chair opposite of his.

I pulled the chair out and sat down in it. "If I may ask, sir, what is this paperwork for?"

Arc scribbled on some paper, then said, "Its a processing checklist. We require it from everypony that goes out, whether they're on a ship or going into another country," he slid a few pieces of paper neatly filed across the desk to me. "I just need for you to go over it and fill out what ever needs to be finished and you'll be good to go."

"Yes sir," I picked up a pen and gently tapped the top of it on the desk to click the head out, turning it over and reading the first page carefully. It was mostly a congratulations for my first official deployment and not much else. The next page was different and asked many different questions, such as if I had any sicknesses during the time I was out to sea.

Well, seasickness couldn't qualify I'm sure. So the answer to that question was a no. The rest mainly had to do with my position and hours logged. Then a couple of minor questions about the quality of my roommates, the air in the ship, the water, and the food. I didn't know I had to give my deployments a rating. It seemed silly but I went with it and carried on to the third and final page. It was short and also mostly reading, with the questions mainly being self-signatures.

Then, after some more reading parts, I set the pen down and re-filed the pages neatly and in order and handed them back to the lieutenant.

"Great, thank you," Arc replied blankly, taking the papers and sliding his rolling chair over to the tall filing cabinet that mostly covered the wall behind his wraparound desk and put them in one of the drawers, then slid back.

"Is that it?" I asked.

"Sure is," he answered and was now focused on typing on his desktop computer.

"Oh, well," I cleared my throat. "I do have one final question."

"What might that be, private?"

"Is it possible to take some leave time for the next few days?"

"What for? Are you sick?" He peered away from his computer screen to look at me with an eyebrow raised.

"No sir, but I would like to take that time go home."

"Hmmm," he sat there, narrowing his eyes on me and thinking about my request. "I don't see why not. I'll send a letter to Shadow and Hardstaff and let them know you'll be leaving for a few days."

"Thank you sir, that is all."

"Very good," he replied, then saluted from his chair as I got up, and I saluted back before walking out of his office.

***

Out of the central office building and back out on the base, and the chilly, breezy Manehattan air, I made my way to Barrack 19 to prepare for my leave. It somewhat shocked me that it was that easy to take leave time. I had always thought it required paperwork. Perhaps not anymore.

Once inside the warm barrack, I went to my bed and took my seabag out from underneath it and unzipped it where I began packing my uniforms and anything else I took with me and put in my hooflocker. I knew they had locks on them, but there was always that someone that could pick locks in the group. I didn't want to be the victim of that.

As I packed my bag, the door opened and a cold breeze swept through the room before it was closed again, followed by the sounds of hoofsteps walking down the middle of the barrack before stopping beside my bed.

"Hey Star, whatcha up to?" asked a familiar beige unicorn dressed in the usual Marine uniform as well as gloves on his hooves and a blue beanie—what a copycat.

I turned around and stopped packing my bag, smiling to Silver. "Hey, nothing much, just packing."

"Packing for what?" He furrowed a brow.

"Leave. Just for a few days. You know, to go home and relax for a little bit," I waved a hoof.

"Oh, alright then!" He smiled. "I'll tell Solar next time we cross paths. When are you leaving?"

"Once I get my packing finished. I want to waste no time getting into the city and on the train out of this cold. You know what I mean?"

Silver chuckled. "I do. Well, I better get back to it then. Just checking to see how you were doing. Enjoy your leave, Star," he said as he walked back towards the door and waved to me.

I waved back and smiled. "See you, Silver."

"See you, Shooter," Silver then walked out of the barrack and shut the door behind him, yet another cold chill sweeping across the beds.

It wasn't long after that where I slung my bag over my shoulder and left the barrack with a beanie snug on my ears and gloves on my hooves to keep me somewhat warm. I decided this time, instead of taking a taxi carriage, I would go myself into the city. It was a long walk, especially with the days becoming more brisk, and for most ponies it was something they wouldn't do willingly.

About halfway along the walk, I began to shiver. Along the bridge, the ocean breeze was strong and only made it worse. If I could take a guess, I would say the temperature was probably only thirty-five or forty degrees. That was without the wind chill. But my head and hooves were warm. That was all that matters, right?

When I finally made it into the city, I found that it was slightly busier than usual. Even the train station was jam-packed full of ponies with long lines at the ticket counter. I wasn't in much of a hurry to get home so I waited in line patiently. Though it was hard to do, especially with screaming and crying foals in front and behind me with their parents trying to calm them down. I may have been trained to tolerate the shouting of a drill sergeant, but never a foal's cry.

But as I waited in line, I started to think of something else. What would I do by the time I do reach Canterlot? I had way more friends here in Manehattan than I did there. The few ponies I did talk to in Canterlot were usually busy. Then I thought—Rose.

It had been a good few months since me and her last talked. I promised to come back once boot camp finished, but that never came to pass. I guess being a Marine was a bit far more overwhelming than I expected. I guess it didn't matter at that point. I was finally going to go home and spend some time there. Not home home, not back in Coltlumbus home, just home in Canterlot.

The line moved slow, and finally I did make it to the counter where I bought my ticket and waited for the train to arrive. At this rate, I expected to be in Canterlot by late that night, or later. On the up side, that gave me plenty of time to think of what to do.

But as I waited, Rose re-entered my mind. What was making me think of her so much? All I knew was she is a great neighbor. Quiet, but great. Reclusive, but friendly. Did I just miss seeing her that much?

Then something else hit me. Not like a train hit me, but more like... a strong breeze. Was I in love with Rose all of this time?

***

Following an uneventful but crowded train ride home, I disembarked in Canterlot around nine that night, during that time of year it had been dark for a good three and a half to four hours. The city was almost exactly how I left it in June, apart from the Nightmare Night decorations being hung on street lights and in store windows. It wasn't that time of year already, was it? I guess it was.

I stopped at my favorite cafe on the corner for a cup hot cocoa and something to eat before I made my way to the less busier parts of town where my apartment was. Along the way, I hoped the pony I rented to remembered the reason for my lack of rent payment as well as utilities.

I took the keys out of my uniform pocket as I walked up the metal stairs between the building I lived in and another brick building beside it. Reaching the second floor level, I wasn't paying attention and bumped into somepony, inadvertently dropping my keys.

"Shoot!" I shouted as I saw them fall towards the floor. It was more like a giant metal grate that could be walked on and was built in a way where keys could easily fall through and be lost.

I reacted quickly to try and grab them, but they stopped just before the bottom, and before I could catch them, caught in a hoof that wasn't mine. The hoof moved towards me and I stood up straight again.

"So terribly sorry, I should r-really watch where I'm going," spoke a slightly frightened mare as she handed my keys back to me.

I looked up, and our eyes met. The mare gasped, and so did I.

"Rose?"

"Star?! Oh my gosh!" The tan earth mare squealed and lunged at me, nearly knocking me down as she wrapped her arms around my neck tightly.

I wheezed slightly, but then took Rose in a hug.

"You're back!" She looked up at me with a bright smile, eyes sparkling with joy.

I chuckled softly. "About time, right? Heh heh."

"Of course! Of course. Oh my gosh...look at you!" She pulled back from the hug and looked over me with the same big smile. "Looking good, Star!"

A faint blush came across my cheeks. "Thank you," I smiled and tried to hide the blush. "How have you been?"

"I've been good! Nothing much has happened lately. I did finally take your advice and stopped ordering out though!"

"Really?" I smiled. "What made you change your habit?"

Rose's smile then faded, and she sighed. "Your absence."

"My... absence?" My smile disappeared as well.

"I had no idea when you would be back. You've been on my mind pretty much every day since you left for Manehattan. I stopped literally two days after you left. I was starting to order a lot more food than I normally ate and I was gaining a little bit of weight. Not only that, it was hurting me financially. So I started buying food from the market and, well," she then smiled.

"My older sister visited for a little bit and she taught me how to cook. I don't know if I've told you before or not, but she works for a fancy restaurant in San Prancisco. She's one of their most creative and well-respected chefs. The food she makes is absolutely divine!"

I chuckled again. "Sounds like you two had a great time. I'm... sorry I left for so long. I didn't expect to be away for much longer than how long boot camp lasted. Being, well, processed into being a Marine, followed by my shifts and then deployment, its taken a bit of a toll on...me," my eyes then widened and I slowly looked back down at her.

"You were... deployed?" Her mood was changed dramatically.

"Did... I say that?" My eyes were still slightly widened.

Rose nodded slowly. "Are you okay?"

It took a moment for me to reply. "Y-yes, of course. I... didn't go into any wars, Rose. Honest. I'm stationed aboard a ship now."

The tan mare sniffled and wiped at her eye with a hoof. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"Yes, Rose, I am," I smiled faintly to her. I could tell she was actually worried. If I knew anything about Rose, she was an easy mare to upset. Not that I wanted to.

"If you say so," she looked down. "I know what wars do to stallions like you."

"Stallions like me? What does that mean?"

"Eager, young, fearless soldiers. First ones to go, last ones to leave. My mother's friend was a military nurse. She dealt with ponies suffering from PTSD."

"PTSD. Post-traumatic stress disorder, right?" I wanted to make sure I knew what it was.

She nodded. "Its different depending on the pony, but everypony who has it usually suffers without mental help. Its where somepony can't get the traumatic experiences of war out of their head and it comes back to haunt them again and again. She was the mare that talked to those recently returning from a fight or ones that have been home for a while and finally reached the breaking point and decided they needed help. Or... they... do something else," she paused and looked down.

It didn't take long for me to catch on, and my pupils shrunk when they did. "Oh..."

"With you being a Marine now, I worry. I worry about anypony I know that joins up. I don't usually agree with their decisions, but its theirs and only theirs, and I respect that. And I respect those that serve, nothing will ever change that. But I hate to see them suffer," she paused, her eyes shutting tightly. "I wouldn't know what to do if I knew you were suffering too," she shuddered.

My eyes widened again and I froze completely, a tear drop falling down her cheek and down, being sliced in half by the metal grate floor beneath our hooves.

"Rose..." I spoke quietly.

"Y-yes, Star?"

I sighed and pulled her into a warm hug. "Thank you... for worrying. And I know how you feel. But I promise everything will be okay. And if the time does come where I'm needed in battle, just know that I'm going for a greater good. So you and everypony else are safe. Even if I don't—"

"Please... don't say the rest..." she whimpered and held on to me.

"Alright..." I replied and gently rubbed her back with my hoof.

"I just don't want you to get hurt... or captured... or killed."

I didn't know what to reply with at that point. I had to change the subject somehow, in a way that would be a comfortable transition from the darker thoughts. But all I did was stand there and comfort her.

"Star..."

"Yes, Rose?"

"You've been a great neighbor since the day I moved here, and you've always been there for me when I needed somepony. You're a great friend, you know that?"

"You really think so?" A faint smile crept its way back onto my face.

"I know so," she smiled back, nestling her head beneath my chin and nosing at my neck. "I am sorry for nearly having a huge breakdown just now..."

"Don't worry about it, please. Its nothing to stress over."

"But Star, its just..." she pulled back and looked me in the eye, then sighed. "You've always been here for me. None of the other stallions I've known have been that close to me as you are. And... well..." Rose slowly looked away as she started to blush.

I simply looked at her curiously. "Yeah...?"

She stared at the wall beside us for a moment, then squeaked. "I like you for that. I... like you for being you. I like you!"

My irises grew when she finished, and my cheeks heated up. "You... you like me?"

Rose slowly nodded, her muzzle wrinkling in embarrassment and blushing even harder.

"I've... never had anypony tell me that before. Other than my parents of course," I scratched the back of my head nervously, cheeks still a pinkish red.

"I-I'm sorry, I'm just... well... its just mixed emotions! You're back, you're okay, I know you're safe," she rambled. "You're dressed in uniform and standing before me right now. That's a little hard to take in, Star. N-not in a bad way of course!" Rose squeaked.

"Hey, hey," I then smiled. "Calm down. How about tomorrow we catch up from here, hmm? Its getting kind of late out."

"O-oh, of course!" She smiled, no longer blushing almost instantly after. "Yes, of course. You've come a long way and you're tired. Yes, definitely, let's do that. Earlier than now tomorrow at uh, your place?"

I shook my head. "How about we go someplace and talk? Like, I dunno, a restaurant or something."

Rose blushed again. "You mean, like, a date?" then slowly looked up at me.

I froze again and my cheeks were now probably as red as my eyes. "S-suuuure?"

Rose was still blushing softly, then she giggled. "Alright. That sounds lovely, Star."

I smiled as we embraced in another hug. "How about seven tomorrow we meet each other downstairs and we walk there together?"

"I would love that," Rose smiled.

After that, we remained in a close embrace for a few minutes before we said goodnight to each other, and went into our respective apartments. Once I closed my door, I tested the light switches to make sure my power wasn't cut during my long vacation to boot camp. Luckily it wasn't, and right after that, I went back into my bedroom and unpacked my bag, folding up and putting my uniforms away in my dresser and removing the one I had on to wash later.

I was home, I was happy, I was tired, and it was time to call it a night. After being used to sleeping in a barrack, the time difference of an hour in Canterlot made it seem like I was going to bed on time, when in reality I had been used to falling asleep in Manehattan around nine at night. But in Manehattan at this time, it would be ten. Damn time zones.

Leaving just my dog tags on, I crawled into my bed and pulled the sheets completely over me, smiling as I did so. Oh, how much I missed my bed. It was a shame I had to abandon it again in a few days time.

***

"Fifty two... Fifty three... Fifty four..."

Shortly after waking up bright and early the next morning, I found myself on the floor doing a morning workout. A workout of nothing but push ups. The most I did in boot camp was somewhere over sixty. Sixty two I believe. I wanted to at least try and break that, and over time, work my way up to a hundred.

I broke sixty fairly quickly, beginning to grunt softly as I counted to myself with sweat beginning to bead on my forehead. My hooves begun to feel weak but I wasn't quite to the point of collapse, and thus pushed on, breaking my presumed record and going even further, up to sixty seven before I couldn't do any more. Perhaps I was simply jealous of Ashfall, he could do somewhere around a hundred and twenty, or more. He was a big stallion, so it made sense.

Upon standing back up straight, I took a small kerchief I had folded on my dresser and wiped my forehead off with it. Then I trotted out of my bedroom and into the living room and kitchen to get something to eat and drink. I opened one of the cupboards above the counter closest to the couch and poured myself a glass of cold water, once finishing I took a large swig of it, nearly finishing off everything that was in the cup.

After that, I turned to the fridge and opened it, only to find it was completely empty. Stupid me, I forgot to buy some groceries the night before prior to coming home. I guess that's what happens when you get off of a long train ride late at night and don't feel like going anywhere else.

But yet I still had ground-up coffee in a white sealed bag that I could make. I took a small scoop out from the bag and put it in the small compartment within my coffee machine and refilled it with fresh water, then waited as it brewed in the pot. Obviously a pot for one pony like myself would be too much, especially if I planned on doing things today. Including going out for dinner—wait a minute, Rose! I was having a date with Rose tonight.

Sitting down with a cup of steaming plain coffee, I started to think of restaurants me and her could try. I didn't know too many within Canterlot proper that were reasonable and still had good food. Typically before I enlisted, I was used to cooking on my own and occasionally going out to my favorite cafe on the corner, or diners with a friend or two.

So that was my goal for the morning and afternoon—look for high quality restaurants and make sure I wouldn't go completely broke just by taking Rose to dinner. As I had said before, very few restaurants in Canterlot were reasonable. Most within the busier parts of town were high-end places that served small plates of 'fancy food from Prance' and costed a hundred bits a plate and were considered to be whole dinners. Definitely not within my price range. But I still wanted to take her some place nice. Somewhere neither of us have been.

After showering and putting on a zip-up hoodie, I left my apartment and set out for the market downtown. It wasn't far of a walk, but usually in the morning, the place was hectic. Thankfully I had arrived just as ponies opened up their stands and was one of the first ponies there—for once.

I trotted down the long line of stands, most of which having hoof-made souvenirs and knickknacks, with few produce stands mixed in between. Along the way I picked up lettuce, carrots, some cans of soup, and other things I needed to at least get me through my short time here.

As I got ready to leave the market, I stopped to buy some apples from a taller red stallion with a blade of wheat in his mouth and presumably his daughter? No, they looked more like siblings. The little yellow filly with him was stocking the wooden shelves with fresh apples, and I picked some juicy red ones out and went to pay. Right as I set my bits down, the red stallion's expression changed and he narrowed his eyes onto me.

"Is... something wrong?" I asked.

"Not at all. Are you military?" The stallion asked. He had the accent of a farmer as well.

"Er... yes, I am. What gave it away?"

"Them there dog tags behind yer hoodie. Ah only know of one neck piece that uses them metal beads for the string. What branch are ya in?"

"Did somepony say military?!" The yellow filly jumped up on the red stallion's back and had a huge, excited smile.

"Marines. Lunar Marines to be specific," I answered proudly and smiled back.

"Lunar Marines, huh? Ah've heard of 'em. Y'all serve Princess Luna, right?"

"Well, technically yes, but we do serve the whole of Equestria and Princess Celestia too. Just like the Equestrian Army, we serve the whole country with the purpose of a greater tomorrow. Though, our branches still rival with Celestia's side. Its more like playful competition though, if you get what I mean."

"Ah see. Ah've wanted to get a taste of military life for a little while now, but ah've got a purpose too, mine being buckin' apple trees and sellin' apples for a livin'. Ah guess it will have to wait. But in honor of our country's veterans," he pushed the bits I put down back to me. "This one is on Sweet Apple Acres."

I looked back up at him. "No no, I insist, take my bits," and slid them back to him.

"And ah insist, this one's on the house," he chuckled. "Some of y'all pay the ultimate price to protect us all, the least we could do in return is pay for yer apples," he then winked.

I smiled, then slowly took my bits back. "In that case, thank you kind sir."

"Not a problem," he smiled, then put his hoof up in a salute. "And thank you."

I saluted him back. "For what exactly?"

"For yer service. You have yerself a nice day, sir."

"Thank you, you as well," I smiled, then took the small bag of apples the filly had prepared for me and trotted off.

I had never been thanked for my military services, up until now. It made me feel good, not only about myself, but that somepony realized Princess Luna's forces weren't what they used to be a millennia ago. It made me proud to be who I am now.

***

Along the way home, I looked around for restaurants. Most of which I passed appeared fancy, and those seated inside from what I could tell were wearing suits and dresses. I hated wearing a suit. The only time I did wear one was when I was a colt, and my parents practically forced me to look like somepony from their time when everypony, and I mean everypony, dressed up super nice to do anything. I knew some time in the near future, however, I would need to be fitted for my dress uniform for certain events. At least that wasn't that bad.

I trotted into my apartment and begun putting most of what I had bought at the market away and leaving some things out to make some late breakfast or early lunch, which for me, would just be a salad. I was fine with that anyways. I didn't need to gain any extra weight before I'm set to go back to Manehattan.

Once the noon hour passed, time flew by, and it wasn't long before, due to the clocks changing, the sun was setting just after 1730 hours. Or 5:30 in the evening. Around an hour after that is when I felt it was necessary to shower again. I wanted to look as best as I could for dinner tonight. Not that I was trying to impress Rose—well, maybe a little bit—but I wanted to feel fresh as well.

After showering, I went into my closet and grabbed a slightly heavier jacket than the one I wore earlier. It wasn't any different, other than missing the hood, and was comfortable for how cold it was outside. It wasn't unusual for late October either. Hell, the year before, by this time it was snowing for some reason.

Once that was said and done, I grabbed my keys and wallet and walked out of my apartment. I was a bit early, and I didn't mind waiting. Usually mares took longer than stallions to get ready and I was respective of that. I sat down halfway down the flight of stairs to the ground and waited patiently. Then, after ten minutes, I heard the door to Rose's apartment open and a set of hooves walking down the stairs. I stood up and turned around, watching the tan earth pony mare gracefully walk towards me with a smile and stop at the top of the steps.

Rose had styled her auburn mane into a bun with thin strands of curled hair hanging neatly down the side, and she wore a beautiful light blue and silver dress, as well as hanging diamond earrings.

"Too much?" Rose looked at me somewhat nervously.

"Not at all," I smiled. "You look amazing."

The tan mare blushed softly, then waved a hoof at me playfully. "Oh, stop it, I look ridiculous."

"You do not," I smiled and walked up to her side. "Ready to go?" I held my hoof out in a hook for her to take.

Rose smiled and wrapped her hoof around mine, and we walked adjacently down the stairs and onto the street.

"So, where are we going, Star?" She looked at me with a soft smile.

"I thought we could take a little walk around and see what there is. I don't know too many places around here."

"You mean you've lived here for how many years and you still don't know the city?" She furrowed a brow and giggled.

"I..." I paused briefly. "Do you?"

"Of course I do, silly. How about I show the way?" She protested playfully.

"No no, I'm the one taking you, I have the lead," I smiled.

"Oh, don't be so stubborn," she gently poked my side with her hoof. "Come on, I know a great place where we can go."

I gave up fighting her protests and walked with her. It wasn't exactly what I hoped would happen tonight, as I wanted to take us somewhere neither of us had been to, but I was fine with Rose showing me the way. After all, I really didn't know the city that well, despite calling it home for the last few years.

It wasn't long before we stopped in front of a three-story brick building towards the middle of one of the streets that had an outdoor patio with vines and leaves hanging up like a natural rooftop with decorative lights strung in between. No one was sitting and eating outside due to the weather, obviously, but the restaurant itself was magnificent architecture.

"Here we are!" Rose smiled.

I looked at the sign. "Restaurante de Itaily?"

"Its one of my favorite restaurant chains. I'm pretty sure you will like it too," she turned to me.

I turned to her and smiled. "Even though I'm supposed to be the one taking you out, I wouldn't mind eating here."

After that, we walked in through the front door. The interior was perfectly lit with multiple small chandeliers scattered around the ceiling, with a beautiful giant one in the center of the whole restaurant, sitting above a small fountain. To the far back sat the bar, then off to the back right was the kitchen itself, and the rest being seating for the restaurant.

Then, a waiter pony walked up to the small counter that was set up to accompany patrons. "Just two tonight?" he asked, speaking with an accent I couldn't put my hoof on.

"Yes, just two," I smiled, then looked at Rose.

The waiter picked up two menus in his hoof and stepped around the counter. "Right this way," then started walking to the left, towards an empty booth and stopping beside it, setting the menus down on either side.

"Thank you," I nodded once to the waiter and took a seat, while Rose sat on the other side of the table.

There were empty wine glasses and silverware already on the table, as well as salt and pepper shakers against the wall part of the table, as well as a small plastic napkin box. It seemed fairly simple for such a place.

Both of us picked up our menus and looked them over. Well, mostly I did. Rose had been here before and knew the menu already I'm sure. I flipped it onto the other side. Wines. Why have a whole side of a menu just for wine? They had a bigger wine selection than food itself. Oh well. Apart from the huge wine selection, the menu mainly had different pasta and soup entrees. Everything that was described on the menu nearly made my mouth water and just deciding what I wanted was difficult.

"Can I start you two off with something to drink this evening? Perhaps some of our signature wines?" The waiter stood beside our table and looked between us with a small notepad and a pen in his hooves.

"Do you have any tea?" Rose asked.

"Iced and peach tea, yes."

"I'll have peach tea, thank you."

"And for you, sir?" he turned to me.

"Water is fine," I smiled to him.

The waiter wrote them down. "Alright, I'll be right back with your drinks," then trotted off. I returned my attention to the menu.

Rose giggled, watching me stare at the menu harder than anypony else in the restaurant. "Can't decide?"

"Not at all... everything just sounds so good!"

Rose giggled some more, and from there, it took me another minute and a half to finally decide what I would settle with for the evening. After having our drinks brought to us, the waiter trotted back.

"Are you two ready to order?" he asked with a smile.

"I think so," I chuckled awkwardly. "I'll have lasagna," then handed him the menu after he wrote it down.

"And for you, miss?"

"Fettuccine alfredo, please."

He wrote that down as well. "Alright, let me know if either of you need anything else!" then trotted off to deliver our orders to the kitchen.

"For a busy place, they have some good service, I'll say," I said before taking a sip of my water poured into a wine glass.

"Good restaurants know how to handle the crowd of a dinner rush and still whip up good food," Rose winked. "Something my sister told me while you were gone."

"Well, I don't question that one bit," I smiled. "You know Rose..."

"Hm?"

"I uh," I paused, my cheeks growing red a bit. "I never thought we would actually go out together. Like this that is."

"As in on a date?" She smiled. "Neither did I. Well, maybe a little bit," she giggled.

"Heh heh, really?" I smiled still. "This whole idea was stuck on my mind on the train ride here yesterday."

"Was it really?" Rose blushed. "How sweet."

"Yeah. I just didn't know how I would ask you out. And then I figured... it wouldn't work because technically we didn't know that much about each other apart from what we look like and... yeah. Just basic stuff."

"Then I guess tonight is a perfect opportunity," she laughed and took a small swig of her tea. "You said you're from Coltlumbus, right?"

"Right," I nodded. "And you're from... uh..."

Rose smiled warmly. "San Prancisco."

"Right! Right. San Prancisco," I chuckled and blushed in embarrassment, all while Rose laughed some more. "Have you lived anywhere other than there and... here?"

"I moved to Vanhoover once. Less than a year I stayed before moving back home. It just wasn't somewhere I could see myself living full time. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful city, but San Prancisco is home to me. Just like Coltlumbus is home to you, right?"

I nodded, slightly hesitantly as my smile faded a bit. Unfortunately Rose did notice.

"Something wrong, Star?" she looked at me with concern.

"Hm? Oh, no. Its just, Coltlumbus has good and bad memories for me. It's where I grew up. But I didn't exactly go to the best schools there," I looked down.

Rose gasped. "Oh no... what happened?"

"I was picked on. Partly for my eyes, but mainly because I befriended just about everypony in my class. They thought I was purposely trying to get all of the fillies when I wasn't even interested in that kind of stuff back then. Hell, I just wanted to be friends with anyone. After that, well..." I stopped.

"Yeah?" Rose looked at me, nodding gently once for me to continue.

"I lost trust in ponies. That's why I don't have many friends now. Sure I met some nice ponies in boot camp, but apart from them, you and another stallion I talk to occasionally are literally the only friends I have," I eyed her with a void expression. "I taught myself before I ran away for Canterlot that I shouldn't trust anypony. That later included my parents."

Rose's ears fell a bit as I finished. "I'm sorry to hear that. I really am, Star. But... about the thing you taught yourself. Don't you—" she cleared her throat. "—trust ponies that prove their trust... or are willing to?"

After a few moments of silence, I shook my head. "I guess I never thought about that. But I went along with it long enough to meet my other friend here. He's a royal guard. He's one among a few I would expect to be able to trust easily. You're one of the few," I then smiled.

Rose smiled as well, then waved a hoof at me. "Silly colt, of course you can trust me. You can trust me with anything. If you ever needed to keep a secret, I'm always open to keep it for you. Or if you need somepony to talk to in tough times. That's what friends do."

"That's true," I smiled a bit more. "I'm glad I met you, Rose."

"I'm even gladder I met you, Star."

I chuckled. "That's not a word!"

"Yes it is!" She playfully nudged me.

"I'm messing with you," I chuckled more and rested my elbow on the table, chin in my hoof as I smiled at her.

Rose did the same, but with both hooves propping her head up. The two of us eyed each other with warm smiles. And it must have been a long stare too, because by the time we finished, the waiter was bringing our food on a metal tray on his back.

"Fettuccine alfredo..." the waiter said, setting Rose's plate down in front of her on the table. "And lasagna," then mine, as well as some buttered rolls in a small wooden basket in the center of the table. "Enjoy!" he smiled and trotted off to handle other patrons.

We both took bites of our food, and it was safe to say that we were both delighted with what we got. My taste buds had erupted with the flavor of spaghetti sauce, different cheeses and the flat wavy pieces of pasta itself. All in all, the place had the best lasagna I'd ever tasted. Then as we ate, we gave each other small pieces of each others dishes to try them out, then we laughed about us ordering opposite dishes next time we came.

When we both did finish not long later, the waiter stopped and asked if we were interested in dessert. My stomach said otherwise, and so did Rose's. After that, the cheaper-than-expected bill was sorted out and we made our way back home.

And for a first date, it went pretty well. We both enjoyed each others company, on the way, while there and on the way back. It was a fun night. Along the way, we discussed a second date, but not much was spoken of it other than it happening when I come back to Canterlot in the near future. I hoped that by the time that happens, it would be close to the holidays and I could surprise her.

But that was still a good two months away. In the mean time, I was just going to take it slow.