• Published 3rd Jan 2015
  • 518 Views, 2 Comments

Don't Knock It - dashybrony2012



Sometimes we have to step out of our comfort zone.

  • ...
1
 2
 518

Don't Knock It

A cheery hum filled a young filly's room. A small tan Pegasus filly sat in the middle of the room amidst a pile of crayons; a coloring book open in front of her. She grinned happy as she put down a grey crayon. "There!"

*~*~*
The sound of a door slamming reached Butterscotch's ears as a dull thud resonated through the house.

"Lanty..?" She looked up from her picture and walked slowly towards her door. She peeked into the hallway, quietly listening for further sounds. It was silent, so her parents weren't home from work yet. So that meant it could only be her older brother.

“Why must I work with anypony to complete an assignment,” Atlantean murmured to himself as he sat down on the couch. He muttered a couple thoughts as he pursed his lips in thought.

"Hi!" A happy voice shouted behind him making him jump, nearly falling off the couch. After his heart stopped racing, he turned and give his little sis a warm smile.

“Hello, Savvy, didn’t hear you come in.” he ruffled her mane as she giggled and fluttered onto his lap.

"Sowwy," she gave him her signature puppy dog eyes as he chuckled. She smiled and wrapped her little hooves around him in a hug as he let out a deep sigh. He stroked her brown and pink mane as he frowned, thinking about the group project he had to do. If there was anything he hated, it was group projects. Atlantean was perfectly fine working alone and he honestly preferred it that way. Alas, no. The professor refused to let him back out of this project, claiming he could use the opportunity to exercise teamwork and social skill. If he could, he wouldn't do this project at all. But he couldn't afford getting a bad grade. This project would count as half of his grade for the semester. He let out a disgruntled sigh as he thought this all through. Looks like he'll be doing something he'd rather not. Butterscotch looked up at him, her bottom lip poking out in an unhappy face.

"What's wrong big brother?" she asked. The grey unicorn looked down at his sister.

“It’s nothing Savvy, just thinking about something.” He said, putting on a fake smile, not wanting to make his little sister worried. Butterscotch's face lit up again, satisfied for for the moment.

"Oh..okay," she snuggled against him. He patted her head in response. After a few moments, the doorbell rang making the two siblings jump slightly. Butterscotch hopped off Atlantean's lap and fluttered in the air, "I'll get it!" she called out giggling. The little filly reached the door and turned the knob, opening it to reveal a dark colored bat pony mare with a pale mane standing there. Butterscotch blinked up at her before asking, "Are you his marefriend?" she puckered her lips as she narrowed her eyes in suspicion. The mare laughed as Atlantean came up behind Butterscotch a blush and a bemused look on his face. His little sister looked up at him, "Oh, your ma-" Atlantean let out a nervous chuckle as he put a hoof on her mouth.

"Uh..why don't you go color sis?" he prompted her up to her room. Butterscotch giggled as she let her brother push her gently.

"Ooo.." she cooed playfully as she entered her room. Atlantean let out a big breath before clearing his throat and going back downstairs.

The mare stood at the door waiting, to be invited in, tapping her hoof as she do. “Oh… sorry about that my little sister can be a bit.." he paused, struggling for a word, "enthusiastic," he finished.

The mare giggled, “Oh, I find her quite cute. So may I came in?” she asked.

Atlantean move to one side, “Yes of of course you can Nightwind.” She entered the simple home, with a smile. Her emerald eyes looked around the home, seeing many colorful drawings on the walls and floor.

Atlantean rubbed the back of his head, “Sorry about the mess, Savvy loves to draw.” He says, noticing the numerous drawings everywhere. “So what brings you by?”

“Well, thought we would get a head start on our science project.” She said as a sly smile crossed her muzzle. Atlantean blinked.

"Ooh...right. Aha, about that.." he thought of of an excuse, "Think we could do it later? I'll do the research and you two get the poster board ready or whatever," he told her, an apologetic look on his face, "I'd love to chat and work on it but uh...I'm a bit busy," he lied.

"Lanty!" Butterscotch called from the stairs, "Can I come down now? I wanna play," She whined.

Nightwind, give Atlantean a glare, which made him blush. “Oh, so your busy, well then I guess I should stay and help you.” Atlantean gulped. This, was one of the disadvantages of working with Nightwind...she was very, very stubborn.

“Oh, come down um… Savvy we can all play together.” Nightwind called up the stairs. The two ponies heard a happy gasp as Butterscotch floated down the stairs.

"Yay!" She hugged Nightwind, her little hooves wrapping around the older mare's neck. Nightwind gave a sideways smile, patting the little filly's head.

"Heh..so whatcha wanna play kiddo?" She asked as Butterscotch let go. The tan Pegasus squeezed her cheeks as she squealed.

"Hide-n-Seek!" she exclaimed excitedly. Atlantean stood off to the side, a hoof on his face as he groaned. He had a feeling this was going to a long afternoon.


*~*~*~*~*

"Again!" the little filly giggled. Atlantean had an extremely unamused look on his face as he gave his sister another ponyback ride. Normally, he wouldn't have minded and would actually be glad to play with his little sister... but with Nightwind smirking behind his back, he could think of other things he'd rather do. The grey unicorn sighed. Yup, definitely a long afternoon.

*~*~*~*

"Okay..she's asleep. For now," Atlantean came downstairs to see Nightwind picking up.

"That means you and I can get some work done," she reasoned as she put the last of the toys away. Atlantean scrunched his nose in disagreement but sighed.

"Fine, let me grab some books then,"

After the two settled on the floor, books open and papers strewn about, Nightwind spoke up.

"Soooo...whatcha got so far?" she asked, breaking the ice. The grey unicorn didn't speak but held up three pages worth of information as he continued to write the fourth. The dark bat pony blinked and looked down at her lonely piece of paper, barely three-fourths full. She scowled, though it was slightly playful. "Show-off," she scoffed. Atlantean couldn't help but grin a little.

"Hey you asked," he countered. Nightwind rolled her eyes in return then smiled.

"I'm gonna get more than you though," she taunted, despite being clearly behind. The white-maned stallion beside her raised an eyebrow.

"Oh yeah? That's bold of you to say," he looked pointedly at her only paper. Nightwind narrowed her eyes.

"Oh you're on smarty-pants,"

*~*~*~*~*~*

Butterscotch was awoken by the sound of laughter coming from downstairs. She rubbed her eyes as she slide out of bed, a tiny 'oof' the result. She tip-hoofed to the top of the stairs and looked down, holding back a happy gasp as she saw her brother and Nightwind actually getting along. Nightwind had a pout on her face as Atlantean laughed.

"Nerd," Nightwind grumbled as she looked at her five pages. The grey unicorn on the other hoof, had ten.

"Hey, you dished it Nighty," he countered, shrugging.

"Whatever," she replied.

*~*~*~*~*

Butterscotch felt her nose tickle, she tried to hold back the sneeze, but failed. The small sound of her sneeze was loud enough for Nightwind’s sharp ears. Nightwind smiled as she turned to Atlantean, “I think somepony who should be asleep is awake, and by the sound of it, she's at the top of the stairs."

Atlantean looked to see a tan filly duck down, “Oh, I think you may be right. I’ll be right back.” he said getting up. Butterscotch squeezed her eyes shut as she covered her face with her hooves as as she heard her big brother come up the stairs.

Atlantean looked down, and smiled, “Oh, Nighty you must have been hearing things. I don’t see anything.” He used his magic to pick up Butterscotch, “Well, nothing except this little filly," he put his sister on his back and carried her back down as she snuggled him, a sheepish smile on her face. Nightwind let out a chuckle.

"Awww...." she teased. The grey stallion rolled his eyes. Nightwind just shook her head.

"Well I better get going. Mom's gonna have my tail if I'm late to dinner,"

Atlantean laughed, “Why mine would think is the same thing as Savvy did when she saw you.” his little sister blushed slightly. Nightwind blinked and gave a sly smirk.

"Ohhoho," she bounced her eyebrows playfully. Atlantean blushed as she cleared her throat. "Anywho, nice workin' with ya pal," she walked towards the door, "Catch ya later," she waved. Butterscotch looked over her older brother's head, settling in his mane.

"Aww...she's leaving?" the little filly looked down at her brother.

Atlantean smiled, “Would you like to play with Nightwind again, Savvy?” He asked as he start to walk up the stairs. Butterscotch yawned, as they reached the top of the stairs.

“That would be great, Lanty.” she said sleepily. Atlantean smiled as he tucked his sister into bed.

"You know?...she wasn't that bad was she Savvy?" the sound of a young filly answered him as he ruffled her mane before walking out, a sideways smile on his face, "No...I don't think she was.."

Author's Note:

Don't knock something until you try it :twilightsmile: just a little story me and Atlantean decided to write. We really hope you enjoy this and hopefully learn something from it. Thanks for reading ^o^

Comments ( 2 )

Daw, that is so sweet.

Login or register to comment