• Published 31st Dec 2014
  • 2,528 Views, 137 Comments

The Fading World - Neon Czolgosz



Equestria is dying, ever since Princess Celestia sacrificed herself to bind her fallen sister. An old power has resurfaced, and five ponies race to claim it. One master of magic will take the Grail. They will save the fading world, or rule its ashes.

  • ...
8
 137
 2,528

The Peer, The Prodigy, The Prodigal Daughter.

Three years ago...


Canterlot was fading.

Any fool could see it, thought Polaris Blueblood. He could see it especially well on this cold spring morning. He gazed out of the window at the city. The buildings at the edge were bleached and crumbling. Shanties and crude huts spread across half-built highways. Ponies shuffled through the drizzle to earn their rations in the Merchant Quarter, or the sooty Industrial District, or as servants in the Enclaves or the Canterlot Academy. It seemed as if the entire city were waking from hibernation, slowly coming alive for the summer forage and autumn harvests. There would be a brief roar of commerce and activity, trains of crops in and goods out, even a festival on good years, and then the city would sleep for the winter once more. The whole city would burrow and shiver, the unluckiest ponies would die of hunger or cold or the cruce or any of a hundred other privations, and Canterlot would grow in dark and terror until the next spring came.

Blueblood had seen thirty-one springs in his lifetime, and they told a depressing story. Each spring, another construction project was abandoned, another broken water main was left in disrepair, another highway collapsed. Ponies trudged to work slower and fewer. A few more dying suburbs disappeared, and tent cities welled up in their place. There were less crop wagons and more guards per wagon. Three festivals a year dropped to one festival a year to a festival every other year. Each winter, the city fell apart, and each spring, they fixed a little less.

Blueblood glanced at the dark-red markings on his left front-hoof, and chuckled mirthlessly. Of all the fools in Canterlot, fate had picked him as its savior.

He backed away from the window with a sigh, and paced the room. He ran a hooftip idly across the study’s many shelves and cabinets. The contents of this room, of all of Bluestone Manor, seemed to be a metaphor for Canterlot. Old, unimportant trophies gathered dust, next to empty spots where the valuable ones had been pawned or won away. Portraits and paintings had been auctioned off and replaced with prints, sometimes not replaced at all, leaving oddly blank spots on the wall. Treasures replaced with trinkets, first editions replaced with paperbacks, the few artifacts that had no commercial value drawing the eyes in a weighty, depressing way, a sad reminder of bygone eras and past glories.

It wasn’t always like this. It wasn’t like this even when Polaris was in his teenage years. That was proof of how much his family’s fortunes had faded. There was perhaps one generation of Bluebloods left before the estate was drawn up between greater families, its assets sold off, its magics siphoned away.

Or at least, until last Thursday happened.

There was a delicate knock at the door.

“Come in, Rarity,” said Polaris.

A white unicorn with a lush, purple mane walked into the room. “Duke Blueblood,” she said, bowing, “you requested my presence?”

Polaris smiled. “Yes, I did. Please, take a seat.” He gestured to an armchair that was once a luxurious antique and was now simply an antique. His horn lit up, and he telekinetically closed the door to the room, opened the drinks cabinet, and poured two gin and tonics before setting the drinks down. Such a display of telekinetic strength would make most unicorns faint from exertion, and the ice he conjured would be a laughable impossibility too.

Both unicorns cradled the glasses between their hooves and sipped. It would have been exhausting for Rarity to hold it with telekinesis, and crass for Polaris to do so when his companion could not.

Rarity caught a glimpse of something on Polaris’ left hoof, and her eyes lit up. “Is that...”

“Yes,” said Blueblood, “it’s a Command Spell.” He extended his fore and rolled his fetlock, allowing Rarity to get a good view of the blood-red glyph. “It appeared four days ago. Rather odd-looking thing isn’t it? It reminds me of the mage-runes that earth pony magicians tattoo onto their skin.”

Rarity gasped softly. “It’s true, then? Another... ‘Grail War’ is taking place, and...”

“And I’m taking part, yes.” The smile on Polaris’ face faded. “That’s actually why I called you here today.”

“Oh?”

Polaris sighed. “You need to leave. I’m paying you severance, plus relocation costs, plus a bonus for excellent work. There are several possible places you and your family could go, as long as they are away from Canterlot. When it becomes known that I am in the Grail War, you will not be safe as long as you are by my side. My opponents will go after you and your family all to get to me. When... If I survive, I will gladly take you back into my employ.”

Rarity burst out laughing. “S-sir, I’m sorry, but that’s a terrible idea. I’m staying.”

“You’re bloody well not!”

“Oh, really?” Rarity smirked over her glass. “Who will bring you the gossip from the serving halls at the Canterlot Academy? Who will bring you news from butlers of the nobles in the Enclaves that you fell out with? In fact, who can verify that the information Fancy Pants is feeding you is correct? He will be the one adjudicating this whole thing, no?”

“How did you know that?” asked Blueblood, sharply.

“He works with gossips, and I’m an excellent listener. But that’s quite beside the point. At least one of the other players—oh, Masters, whatever—will come from the highest echelons of the Canterlot Academy. The rest are up in the air, and the sooner you know who they are, the better your chances will be.”

“...I confess you would be valuable, but I cannot allow—”

“Sir, what are your alternatives? Even with all the artifacts of your ancestors at your hooves, you will need to spend the next three years sharpening your magical and physical skills to their very peak. If you try to take over all of your intelligence gathering, research, and administrative work yourself, you will cripple your chances in the battle. If you hire somepony to replace me, you are simply sacrificing an innocent life to save mine. Not to mention, you have no guarantee that you could trust any hire you make from now on. Your secrecy won’t last long at all among those that matter in this regard, let alone once you start sending trusted companions to safety.”

Blueblood glared at her, before his expression fell away into one of guilt. “Rarity, we... even as a lowborn secretary, you have been a greater friend to this family than half of our noble allies in the Enclaves. My life would have been far less happy without your presence, and I... the Bluebloods are a dying family. This Grail War may be our last breath. If I win, we could save Canterlot, or at least slow its death for another few generations. If I lose... It would wound me to see you brought down alongside us, when you deserve so much more.”

“Oh, my duke,” whispered Rarity. She walked over to him, and placed a hoof on his cheek. “Because of your generosity, my family are no longer a meal away from poverty. My younger sister can go to school. My parents will not freeze in their old age. You may have your rough edges, but of all the ponies in Canterlot who call themselves the nobility, you are the only one with a true noble spirit. I would follow you to the gates of Tartarus if you asked, because if you asked, I know it would be the right thing to do.”

Conflicting emotions played out on Blueblood’s face. A tiny smile finally won out. “Very well, then,” he said, softly. “I accept your request. Truthfully, it would not have been the same without you, Rarity.”

Rarity bowed, and came up wearing a smile. “For the good of the House Blueblood, then?”

Duke Blueblood nodded. “For the good of Canterlot.”

* * *

Down a windy path near the raggedy end of the Canterlot Academy campus, where the fields and outbuildings sunk into the woody, weedy scrubland of the Canterhorn foothills, lay a pond and a bench. The pond was frozen over, a fine dusting of snow on an inch of ice, thick with white-whipped reeds, bull-rushes sticking out of the ice at odd angles, and duck nests long since abandoned for warmer climes.

On the bench sat two unicorns: a white-coated stallion with bags under his eyes and a rakish blue mane, and a yellow mare with a fiery mane. The male wore the winter uniform of the Royal Guard, a thick wool trenchcoat over a reinforced breastplate, as well as a fur-lined officer's cap, while the mare wore the traditional winter robes of the academy professoriat.

The mare said, “When is your sister meeting us?”

The stallion looked at a battered pocketwatch and replied, “I told her to meet us here at noon, so uh, fifteen seconds.”

A wry smile crept across the mare’s face. “That’s not the Twilight I remember. She’d turn up twenty minutes early to everything, muzzle-deep in two books at once.”

“Heh, ain’t that the truth. I think the EIS shook some of those habits loose. Now she’s switched from scary-early to crazy-punctual.”

With no flash or fanfare, a purple unicorn appeared on the bench next to them. Her navy-blue mane was trimmed into a sharp, straight fringe, well above her hard, deep-purple eyes. She wore a black cassock, the garments of a Seer Council warlock, but had Royal Guard rank insignia stitched onto the right shoulder. The insignia marked her as a warrant officer and spellcasting specialist. She wore an ivory clerical collar, and when the icy wind blew across it, tiny white runes were almost visible. She seemed entirely unbothered by the cold.

The stallion looked at his watch. “Two seconds past noon, Twiley,” he said with a grin. “You’re slipping.”

“I was checking the perimeter for any interlopers or conjurations, sir. Your team of bodyguards are fifty meters closer than you assigned them, but aside from that, we are clear.” Her voice was flat and curt, as if conversation itself was a distasteful thing that, if not avoided, should at least be dispensed with quickly. Her eyebrows perked up, and she said, “Captain Shining Armor. Professor Sunset Shimmer. It’s good to see you both.”

“You can relax, Twilight,” said Sunset. “We’re not expecting to be swarmed by enemies just yet.”

“Doesn’t hurt to check,” said Twilight.

“You can drop the ‘sir’ this and ‘captain’ that too, Twiley,” said Shining Armor.

Twilight did not sigh, but her entire face conveyed a sigh so well that the actual action was superfluous. “I know you are my brother, but improper forms of address are still a breach of Royal Guard protocol—”

“You can drop it because you’re no longer an active member of the Royal Guard.”

“What!”

“You’re on administrative leave effective immediately, and then you’re leaving the force on a medical discharge at the end of the month.”

Twilight’s face jerked back as if slapped, but her normal expression quickly returned. “...I see.”

Shining Armor leaned back on the bench and kneaded his chin with a hoof, trying to figure out the best way to breach a tricky subject. “We’re putting you on a special assignment. It’ll be the most important assignment of your life. Your role will be separate from the Royal Guard’s role, and more important too. We are now part of something far bigger than Royal Guard business.”

Twilight looked at the other two unicorns askance. “So, when you say ‘we...’”

Sunset Shimmer stood up, walked to the edge of the icy pond, and turned to look back at her. “Twilight, what do you know about the Grail Wars?”

She looked thoughtful for a moment, and then replied: “A... ‘contest’ between powerful magical families. Five factions each time. It occurs approximately once per century, involves heavy use of magic and lethal force, and there is a powerful magical prize.”

Sunset’s eyebrows shot up, and then she burst out laughing. “I’d forgotten how sharp you were! You know, you’re not supposed to know a single word of what you just told me?”

“Of course.”

“How did you find out, if you don’t mind me asking?”

Twilight said, “Hmm. The Grail War is heavily censored, in fact I only ever saw off-hoof references in unrelated texts, or books sufficiently well-guarded to avoid the censor’s eye. But, there are patterns. It has affected enough events that its censoring leaves a shadow, a shadow deep enough to show events blacked out of history books and periodicals roughly every hundred years. It leaves a ripple, and you can see that in other places... marriage announcements between noble families, financial market performance, actuarial archives, all sorts of places. You can tell which regions didn’t take part, which families died out or were absorbed into others shortly after, and importantly, which families and associated factions suddenly gained unprecedented thaumaturgical capabilities. Also, references to the Grail War are a category three subversion within the Seer Council, along with a thousand other things. Council decree is to destroy any category three subversions, but not to interrogate and purify connected individuals. This implies that it is a well-known secret among noble magical houses.”

Sunset Shimmer beamed at her. “That’s excellent. I’ll fill in the gaps for you: the Grail is a powerful magical artifact, several millennia old, that allows the construction and execution of limited wishes. It chooses five powerful spellcasters to channel its energies correctly, but will only grant a single wish. The five spellcasters—the Masters—must compete, and the Grail summons Servants to do battle as proxies for the mages. There are five categories of servant: Archer, Saber, Caster, Lancer, and Assassin. Each Servant is a powerful hero, drawing off the life-force of their Master to materialize and act. Opponents are defeated through the death or complete capitulation of Master and Servant.

“The next Grail War will begin in three years time. Fancy Pants, the Chancellor of the Treasury, will be overseeing it—he will ensure that the rules are adhered to, that the secrecy of the Grail War is preserved, and arrange safe havens for defeated Masters. As a captain of the Royal Guard, Shining Armor has two roles: he will act as an enforcer for Fancy Pants to maintain neutrality, and he will keep the civilian population away from the worst of the violence,” said Sunset. “And naturally, I will be one of the Masters.”

“I see,” said Twilight. “I assume I will be working with Sunset from now on?”

“Kinda,” said Shining Armor. “You’re going to be allies.”

“Allies? You mean—”

Sunset nodded. “You will also be a Master. You’re right-hoofed, aren’t you? Show me your right hoof.”

Twilight sat up straight on the bench, and presented her hoof. A dark-red sigil wove around it. Sunset Shimmer pulled her own sleeve back to reveal a similar sigil.

Shining Armor stood up, and put a hoof on Twilight’s withers. “See, the Canterlot Academy and Sunset Shimmer are, for lack of a better word, trustworthy. The noble houses in the Enclaves are too petty and vengeful to be trusted with something like the Grail, House Blueblood are barely strong enough to field a Master let alone defeat four others, and the less said about those outside of Canterlot, the better.”

“Yes,” said Sunset Shimmer, “normally I would not work alongside another Master, and normally I would represent my family, House Sunblaze, not the Canterlot Academy. Normally, your brother wouldn’t lower himself to join the internecine squabbles of the magical houses, and normally an archmage like myself would not lower myself to ask for his help. But this time, things are different. After decades—centuries—of research, we almost have a true outlet for the Grail’s power.”

“Oh?”

“We’re going to bring back the Royal Pony Sisters.”

* * *

Applejack had not seen this room in a very long time. The rug, the roaring fireplace, the warped oak floorboards, framed photographs on the mantelpiece that were black mirrors in the night’s dark, they were all still here. Still too lingered the smell of dog hair and cinnamon and antiseptic. And beside the fireplace, the old mare sitting in her rocking chair as if she was built into it, or perhaps if it was built over her, a mere extension of her will. The mare looked no older than the last time Applejack had seen her, and Applejack knew she would be no less dangerous. She steeled herself for what she was about to do.

As Applejack’s hoof touched the floorboards, a creak sounded out. The old mare jolted in her chair as if the room itself was wired into her nervous system. Her beady, golden eyes cracked open, and she looked at the interloper.

“Well, lookie-here, the prodigal daughter done returned,” rasped the old mare. “Now, maybe my memory is playing tricks on me, but I seem to remember you saying that iffin’ you ever came back here, you’d be putting me in the ground...”

With those words, a hundred circles and wards glowed around the room. The wooden floorboards warped and seemed to take root within one another, the lights drained off into strange will-o-wisps, and the room crackled with power, all centered around the ancient mare in her rocking chair.

The whole power of the Apple clan—nay, the whole power of Ponyville and beyond—rose up and splayed out, eager to obey the old mare’s every command. There were no old smells of home now, the room crackled with ozone and the damp reek of earth magic. The weight of the magic was such that careful spellcasting was unnecessary; the old mare could likely crush a pony’s skull with a thought.

Applejack just rolled her eyes. “Grammaw, that was when I was ten. And I came back when I was eleven, for the Summer Sun Celebration with auntie and uncle, and nopony killed anypony.”

The magic in the room faded away, as if embarrassed, but the old mare glared at her. “Don’t you go callin’ me grammaw like yer’ still on the teat! Yer’ in my dang house, so give me some respect.”

“Yes, ma’am, I understand.”

“An’ don’t give me none of that fancy Manehattan speechifying neither, y’hear? Talk like you was raised.”

Applejack sighed loudly. “Yes’m, Granny Smith.”

“Good! Now, s’matter fact I do remember you changin’ yer mind on the whole subject of killin’ me. I also remember that a year or two after that, you stopped learning the family magic so you could go gallavantin’ off with that furrin’ hussy, tryin’ to ‘find out the secrets of the earth’ or somesuch nonsense. Well? Y’all find something?”

“I know about the land now, Granny. I understand how to save it.”

Granny Smith scowled at her grandchild. “Well shoot, I could’ve tole you that! I tole you that when yer’d barely been hunting bounties a year. That was a dozen-odd years ago!”

“But I had to understand, Granny,” said Applejack, exasperatedly. “If I don’t understand it, the magic won’t work right!”

Granny Smith huffed and shook her head. “It warms my heart to hear that some of my wisdom will soak through yer thick skull, if the whole dang world conspires to beat you over the head with it for a decade. Now, I am going to assume that you did not trek all the way back to Ponyville just to tell your dear ole’ grammaw that she was right all along. You done found something else.”

“Yes’m, in a manner of speakin’.” Applejack smiled wryly, walked over to her grandmother, and presented her right forehoof. The moment Granny Smith’s eyes caught hint of the blood-red sigil, she grabbed that hoof between both of hers and turned it over, scrutinizing it carefully.

Both ponies were silent for several moments.

Granny Smith whooped and cackled and leaned back in her chair, legs kicking in the air. “Well I’ll be! A gen-u-ine, honest-to-dirt Command Spell. I didn’t know you had it in you, Applejack, in fact, I was a week away from cutting my losses and sticking lil’ Apple Bloom in the Giving Tree.”

Applejack just nodded, her smile going nowhere. The elder mare seemed annoyed by the lack of a reaction.

“Did y’all not just hear what I said? I said I was a week away from sticking Apple Bloom in the Giving Tree.”

“I heard jes’ fine, Granny. Do it anyway.”

Granny Smith’s eyebrows shot up. Her ghostly eyes seemed to glow a little darker, and she either laughed or coughed. “You want me to put Apple Bloom in the Tree? You want that? Did you just plum forget what the Tree is like?”

“No’m.”

“I remember exactly how much you screamed and cried when the bark first closed over your skin. You squealed like a stuck pig when the tendrils stripped your flesh and dug into your eyes, and even when the tree filled your lungs with sap you shook like you were tryin’ to knock the dang thing down. I don’t recall a day I walked past the Tree when you weren't sobbin’ away like a newborn inside it.”

“Yes’m.”

“An’ even when it was done, even after it gave you the wonderful gift of magic, you said my name like a cuss and ran away for years. You couldn’t handle the Tree for a month, and now you think yer lil’ sis should do it properly?”

Applejack snorted. “The Giving Tree weren’t the most painful thing I’ve ever done by a mile. Weren’t even the most painful thing I’ve ever done to get better at magic. ‘Sides, the Giving Tree ain’t one of a kind, and it ain’t the only one I’ve used.”

Granny Smith grinned horribly at her. “And now yer throwin’ Apple Bloom to the wolves outta spite. Hunting bounties seems to’ve done a number on yer black lil’ heart. I always thought you needed toughening up.”

“‘Throwing to the wolves’ nothin’, Granny. I wouldn’t put Bloom through this if I didn’t have dang good reasons for it.”

“And what’s those reasons, pray tell?”

“The first,” said Applejack, “Is that if I fall in this Grail War, the Apple family will need some real powerful magics for the next one. Mac don’t have the gift, so that falls on Apple Bloom whether we like it or not. And for yer own edification, Granny, I do not like it. I jes’ know that it’s necessary.”

Granny Smith considered this for a moment, smoke softly rising from her nostrils, and then nodded. “And what else?”

Applejack’s face hardened. “Apple Bloom is an Apple. Apples are tough.”

Author's Note:

For Scarlet :heart: