• Published 29th Dec 2014
  • 9,565 Views, 3,428 Comments

A Dangerous Sparkle - David Silver



Twilight Sparkle botches a spell and ends up in a whole new realm of danger and adventure, where the land is ruled by a much more pragmatic pony empire, ruled by a very mortal queen. A Ponyfinder crossover.

  • ...
40
 3,428
 9,565

PreviousChapters Next
99 - The End

Twilight was buried in books and never happier. After sending Spike off with a shopping list of exotic inks, she had eagerly began pouring through the contents of the library, hunting bits of lore and magic with a ravenous hunger that could not be quelled. Even if her body was still a little sore and off-feeling after being expired for a month, it was home, and she had few complaints.

Applejack looked on patiently as Twilight wrote furiously, "Ah reckon this means we can go home once Twilight's finished doing her bookworm impression?"

Rainbow shrugged softly, "I guess, sure. I wouldn't mind the chance to get in some real adventure. All we really did was beat up some little green guys. Besides, I didn't even meet that Fast Shadows mare everypony was talking about."

Spike laughed at the mental image, "Fast Shadow, and I bet she'd love to meet you. Hard to say where she is though. She travels a lot."

Soft Mane was doing her own research, slowly sifting through the books. She was a bit more methodical than Twilight, but it could have also been her more focused target. "Spike?"

"Yeah?" asked Spike with a raised brow.

"Can you help me search? I'm trying to find anything about Lashtada, if there is anything." she asked. "Please."

"Sure thing," replied Spike as he hopped to his feet and joined in the hunt through the stacks. The day passed pleasantly enough until lunchtime. They gently but forcefully extracted Twilight from her work to join them. Once she was far enough away from the books, she began to ramble joyously about what she had found.

"There are so many spells that do so many things!" she gushed. "I barely know where to begin. Spike, after lunch, I'll need you to fetch another spellbook. The one I have is getting full." She paused long enough to start devouring the vegetable and bean wrap that the others had procured for her. "So what have you all been doing?" she asked, mouth still partially full and spraying little bits of food.

Rainbow rolled her eyes, "Being bored, waiting for you? You're such an egghead, Twilight."

"That reminds me!" exclaimed Twilight, "I saw something."

Applejack raised a brow, "When? In a book?"

Twilight shook her head quickly, "No, before that. When I was, you know, gone. I can't... put my hoof on it, but there was something there. It wasn't just... nothing. Spike, take a letter!"

Spike looked up from his meaty lunch and huffed. He wiped his claws clean on a cloth before he pulled out a scroll and quill, "Ready."

Dear Princess Celestia,

It is with greatest pleasure that I recite this to you with my own breath. That sounded more morbid than I planned, but it's still true. The ponies of Everglow put me back in my body, but that's not what I'm writing about, even if it is great news. I saw something! There is something past the starry fields! I can't say what it is, because I don't remember it, but I saw something. Your friends are not gone, just... somewhere else. I thought you really should know that.

How are things in Equestria? Did Zecora's magic help in closing all the unbalances? We haven't heard from you, which I hope is a good sign that all is well and back to normal.

Missing you and Hoping to Return Soon,
Princess Twilight Sparkle

With a soft puff, the letter was sent on its way between worlds. Spike produced another letter, "There was a letter that came with you."

Twilight blinked, setting her lunch down, "Why haven't you already read it? What does it say?!"

Spike held it closer to Twilight, "We did read it. It's from Luna."

Twilight quickly scanned over it, and tilted her head, "Cadance became a priest? I think that's going to confuse somepony." She looked towards Soft Mane, "How is that possible, without knowing anything about your god?"

Soft Mane shrugged, "She got interested when she saw me channeling her power. I think they just, you know, click?" she snapped her fingers. "I'm not complaining. It's nice not being the only one out there. If she's a princess - which is like a queen in your world, right? - that means there may be a lot more Lashtada faithful soon."

Twilight nodded slowly as she set the scroll aside, "I wonder how the crystal ponies will take it." She stopped talking, wolfing down the rest of lunch and lifting a cloth to clean the mess around her snout. "Lunch is done!" she cried and hopped to her hooves, prancing back towards the library.

Applejack snickered softly as Twilight fled, "That girl. I'm glad she's having a good time. She deserves it after all that." She turned her head to regard Spike, "Do you know when we're headed back?"

Spike shrugged, almost done with his own food, "Don't look at me. I don't figure we're going anywhere until Twilight's week is up." He got up to his feet, "Soft, wanna come along? I'm getting Twilight's book."

Soft mane climbed to her own feet and nodded, and they walked off together.

"Dibs," proclaimed Rainbow as she snarfed down what was left on Spike's plate.

Applejack reared back, "That... was meat ya know."

Rainbow tilted her head a little, "Huh, thought it tasted funny... I thought Spike ate veggies, fruit, and gems like anypony else?"

Applejack shook her head, "Ah've seen him eating meat since he got bigger. S'ppose it makes sense, being a dragon and all. You alright?"

Rainbow shrugged softly, "I'm not turning inside out if that's what you mean. Relax. I'm not making a habit out of it, but I doubt anything Spike could stomach would kill me." Her voice full of pride.

Applejack snorted at that, "Sure. Ah'll serve you up a right big plate of emeralds for dinner."

Rainbow snorted and waved a wing at Applejack, "Don't be a silly pony. I'm going to work some of this off." She suddenly took off, flying straight up in outright defiance of gravity. She was soon a speck, moving quickly over the city.

Applejack was left by herself. She cleaned up the table they were using and began trotting back towards the library to join Twilight when a fast-moving figure slammed into her from the side and pinned her to a fence. "Oof! Rainbow! Not funny!"

The dark figure was not Rainbow Dash, as Applejack was quickly able to determine with a glance. It pressed something against her barrel, then vanished from sight entirely. The object proved to be a folded paper, and it drifted to the ground, fluttering in the breeze. Applejack snatched the paper up in her teeth and set it on a table, unfolding it to have a look as she glanced around nervously.

Dark Tidings, Interlopers,

Your interference with the natural flow of the world has not gone unnoticed. Still, we are a magnanimous people, and present to you a chance to do something good. Little ponies cry out for help, but have gone unheard for so long, they have forgotten how to even ask anymore. Enslaved and broken, they are barely a people anymore. You will find them in the east, where the hyena people are. Find them, and release them, if you can. You will restore an entire tribe of ponies, if you succeed.

Watching from the Shadows,
XOXO

Applejack snorted and shook her head again before she grabbed the letter and moved for the library all the faster. Twilight was where Applejack last saw her, seated among her books and writing furiously with a quill gripped in her magic. "Twi? Look at this." She set the letter down on the book Twilight was reading.

Twilight jerked to awareness when her view of the book was disrupted. She pointed at the letter with a hoof, "What's this?"

Applejack shrugged, "Dunno, just some letter from some creepy figure they just dropped off with me." She pointed at it, "Ah figure you should read it."

Twilight lifted up the letter in her magic and read it quickly before frowning, "I'm no expert in these things, but that sounds like a trap."

"Ya figure?" said Applejack with a little sarcasm evident, "But what if it's true? Ah mean, that sounds horrible, a whole tribe of ponies being enslaved an' all."

Twilight drew in a slow breath, released in a sigh, "Right. We can't just ignore it. It'd be like leaving the crystal ponies alone with Sombra. Even if it is a trap, we have to try to help."

Applejack shrugged, "Don't get me wrong. I don't like the idea of anypony being a slave to anypony else, but is it our fight? What if we just tell the authorities? This isn't our world after all."

Twilight frowned in thought a moment, then fetched a parchment and scribbled on it quickly with her magic, "Go to the castle with this and tell me what they say. Maybe you're right. Ponies around here seem to be more proactive about this kind of thing."

Applejack accepted the letter when it was finished and was off at a canter, moving quickly for the castle. She was not familiar with the city, but the castle was easy enough to spot and she wended her way through the streets towards it. With the sound of flapping wings, Rainbow Dash appeared overhead, following her, "Hey AJ! Where ya going?"

Applejack took a moment stuffing the letter away in her saddlebags before replying, "Delivering a letter. Somepony told us about some other ponies being held captive."

Rainbow pumped a hoof, "Yes, action! So what's on your letter?" She zipped in closer, flying beside Applejack instead of over. "Announcing we're going to kick flank and rescue everypony?"

Applejack shook her head, "Not exactly. We're gonna check with the local officials first an' see if they have a right proper grip on the situation. There's no reason to go jumping in ourselves if we don't have to."

Rainbow's expression fell into shock, "What? No! That's lame! We can handle it on our own! C'mon AJ, do you really want to watch Twilight sit there with her books forever? This is our big chance!"

Applejack was not as easily persuaded with promises of excitement, "Ahm gonna deliver this here letter, cause that's what ah promised. We can talk about what we do after that, after that."

Rainbow landed and walked alongside Applejack, "If we do it ourselves, the locals might pay us a heap of gold bits. Gold bits, like real gold! Not that fake gold. Think of what you could get for the farm with that," she tempted as they went.

It promised to be a long hike through the city.

Author's Note:

Twilight achieves maximum bookgasm while Applejack receives a shady-looking letter.

Is this the end of their ventures?

Shady figures are known to obscure their words with lingo and codes. They may look like typos, but they're actually secret messages! Find them so the enemy can't use this document for intelligence purposes.

PreviousChapters Next