• Published 29th Dec 2014
  • 9,565 Views, 3,428 Comments

A Dangerous Sparkle - David Silver



Twilight Sparkle botches a spell and ends up in a whole new realm of danger and adventure, where the land is ruled by a much more pragmatic pony empire, ruled by a very mortal queen. A Ponyfinder crossover.

  • ...
40
 3,428
 9,565

PreviousChapters Next
71 - Trouble at Home

Soft Mane was led through the grand castle, walking nervously as she took in the splendor of it all. Stained glass appeared to be a common feature, depicting scenes that she had no reference to, save that ponies were the vast majority of what was depicted. No humans, no elves, no dwarves, not even a purrsian or griffon? The guards who walked with her were stoic in their expression. One was a dark grey color, the other a solid brown. Both wore the bright gold armor that she assumed was the uniform for a guard, or maybe soldier in general?

While the guards had minimal reaction to anything going on around them, the servants were not as shy about their expressions of shock and amazement when their eyes fell on Soft Mane. It only lasted a moment each time before the pony remember what they were doing and hurried off.

One of the guards nudged open a door, revealing an expansive and well appointed bed room, "This will be your quarters. If you need anything, pull the string on the left side."

The door closed after she entered and she heard the soft click from the door. Crossing her arms, she tapped a hoof on the ground, wondering what the others were up to.


The others had all taken seats around the table Celestia and Luna had started at. Celestia smiled at her guests, "It is very good to have you all here, acquaintances new and old." Her smile faded to a thin line as her horn began to glow. Before her sprung a map of Equestria, large splotches of it covered with red, white, brown, or blue smears. "I wanted you to be free to think clearly, Twilight. I know you have a little habit of panicking. Equestria is under attack."

Long Road pointed at the floating map with a hoof, "Are those all unbalances? I've never heard of so many at the same time, or so large."

Twilight shook her head defiantly, "They... can't all be? Why didn't you tell me to get back sooner! I thought everything was under control, Princess." Tears began falling from her eyes as she gaped at the image, suddenly surging to her hooves and pointing, "Ponyville! You can't even see it anymore!"

Luna reached across and placed a hoof on Twilight's tense shoulder, "Take a deep breath, Twilight. Your friends are safe. We are suffering from a housing shortage and we... I... fear our food stores will run low with time, but everypony fled when these disturbances began near them. They did not spring up overnight, or even close to it. Like a slow fire, they inched out just a few hoofs at a time, giving plenty of opportunity for the citizens to safely evacuate."

Spike huffed aloud, "Well that's good. We've closed one of these before, on Everglow. They weren't half as big as these are, however! Where is everypony then?"

Pinkie frowned, "Are you sure the Cakes are OK?" When Luna nodded, her smile returned, "Ok! Where are the girls? We'll kick this thing in the flank so hard everypony will forget it was even there!"

Celestia perked, "This reminds me. Twilight, in your letters you went to great lengths about magic even an earth pony can use, and healing magics as well?"

Twilight quickly nodded as she settled back on her cushion, "Yes. Pinkie has developed some healing magic of her own, but that's Pinkie magic. I already gave up on trying to quantify that. Our friend, Soft Mane, she is a conduit for one of the gods of Everglow." She glanced to Spike.

"Lashtada," he volunteered.

"Yes, that," continued Twilight. "This connection allows her to heal ponies, bringing about days of bedrest in an instant, even across an area around herself."

Celestia nodded slowly, "I see..."

Luna nudged Celestia lightly, "It is as I told you, long ago, sister."

Celestia frowned deeply, her features marred with a remembered pain, "I will not be their god. My little ponies will stand on their own."

Twilight looked with concern and confusion at her mentor, "Are you saying ponies could pray to you in a similar way, Celestia?"

Celestia's wings shot out behind her in a great fan, heat rolling off of her dangerously. "They will stand on their own!" she shouted before she deflated. "I don't want to be their Queen, let alone their god. It is bad enough they call out my name as if I were already serving the part, I won't validate it. Twilight, you must put an end to this." She directed a hoof at the map, "On your own."

"Alone?" squeaked Twilight.

Luna shook her head, "My sister does not mean that. She means with your friends." Celestia nodded but did not continue, which Luna took as leave to continue, "That is, in part, why my sister has groomed you so. The ponies must see that a mortal pony can rise against these challenges. Their hero must be born, bleed, and eventually die. Only then will they stand on their own, or so we hope."

Twilight sank into her seat, looking uncertain. Pinkie bobbed her head, "Makes sense to me."

Spike raised a brow, "Glad you caught all that."

Long Road perked an ear forward, "A god that will not be a god is also the queen who is not a queen. You have brought me to a curious world, Twilight Sparkle, but I remain ready to fight at your side. Let's bring balance back to your people."

Twilight nodded at Long Road's words, "Alright. I don't agree with everything you just said." The last said with an angry conviction, but it turned to soft support, "But the people of Equestria come first. We can argue afterwards."

"People?" asked Luna.

"Er, ponies. We should start where the food comes from," said Twilight as she drew lines in the air with her magic, circling Appleloosa and Ponyville on the map. "Ponies can be uncomfortable in makeshift houses, but we can't let them starve. I'm sure Applejack has to be going out of her mind with her farm out of reach."

Celestia spoke up, "Actually, she has been instrumental in putting a large number of the refugees to work in a new farm. They are being kept busy, and the food will slow the time until we run through the emergency stores. She is on her way here, along with the others. I sent word for them the moment I received your letter that you had returned to us, Twilight."

Philomena, Celestia's pet phoenix, came to a rest on the table. Her presence distorted the image being projected, which she ignored. In a talon she held a scroll, which was soon held up towards Celestia. A golden glow wrapped around the scroll before it lifted free of the talon and unfurled itself. Celestia's eyes scanned left and right as she read quickly. Philomena took flight and landed on the railing going around the balcony, preening herself.

"It seems there is a sudden issue," spoke Celestia in firm tone. The map flickered and changed under her control, showing the Everfree Forest. The brown that had buried Ponyville seemed reluctant to penetrate the forest, most of it clear of the coloring. "Your friend, Zecora, noticed your departure from Everglow when her method of scrying failed. She thought something was wrong and attempted to come here, only to be intercepted."

Pinkie blinked softly, "Interwhatted? By big rock guys?"

Celestia shook her head, "While Equestria is under siege, some of our less kindly neighbors see it as a chance to make strikes against us. In this case, the diamond dogs that dwelled near Ponyville were pushed close to the forest. They have Zecora and have made a hostage request for her return."

Twilight frowned, "Alright, this changes nothing. We clear out Ponyville and we rescue Zecora while we're there. How long until the others get here?"

Celestia looked down from the balcony, to the railway visible in the distance. "They should all assemble by the end of the day, or tomorrow morning, depending on--"

She was cut off as Pinkie bounced to her hooves, "Gotta go!" In a flash, Pinkie Pie dashed into the castle, leaving scarcely an outline of smoke where she once stood.

Spike snorted, electricity crackling around his nose, "I think she just went to plan a party for everypony."

Celestia gave a gentle smile, "That may be for the best. It has been a trying time for everypony. While we wait." She turned to look at Twilight directly, "It is time for you to do as I have done for you. I want to see these new spells you have hinted at, and this way of recording and memorizing them. It is time for you to be the teacher.

Twilight's eyes went wide, "M-me!? Teach you?! Uh..." She began to sway dangerously before slumping in place, passing out with a goofy smile on her snout.

Long Road moved to her side quickly and gently placed her in a more comfortable resting position with careful hooves. "It is a pleasure to meet you, your majesty. Twilight has spoken of you in only the kindest words."

Celestia looked Long Road over as he worked, "I hope I live up to her kind words. Tell me, Long Road, do you also worship a god?"

Long Road lifted an ear at her, "Er, yes, your majesty. I am loyal to the Sun Queen."

Celestia jerked back, "We've barely met, knight."

Long Road shook his head, "The ponies of Everglow also pay heed to the sun. She does not live with us, in a castle." He gestured at the castle as a whole, "She has a realm of her own, which she rules from. My power comes in large part from a dedication to the ideals of goodness triumphing over evil. My dedication to the Sun Queen is largely my own business, but I find her a very agreeable god to bow my head towards."

Luna tilted her head at Long, "Power? Do you have powers beside the blade at your side, the bravery in your heart, and the steel that you wear?"

Spike burst in, "Way more! He can heal with a touch. Hay, he's even better than Soft Mane at it, but I never saw him do more than one pony at a time. He can also hurt bad things like they're wearing tissue paper." He made grand sweeps of his claw. "Armor, swoosh. Super tough scales, crack! And that's not even all of it!"

Long shook his head, "They must have evil in their heart. Things that are simply destructive without concern, such as elementals," He pointed at the map, "are spared my full might. I am the shield and sword wielded by good against the forces of evil, and I have given myself to Twilight."

Luna nodded slowly as she glanced at Twilight, "She is fortunate to have such a knight. She has become a true princess."

Celestia seemed to brighten at those words, "Yes, she has. And you, Spike. Your trip has been kind to you."

Spike hopped up to his feet, "Watch this!" He immediately shot up. He was so fast that Celestia, Luna and Philomena jumped at the sudden motion. Taking it as a challenge, Philomena spread her own wings and flew after Spike, resulting in wild chases around the castle. Though Spike had more raw power, Philomena had much more experience with flying and the race came to a halt when she led him into a turn he couldn't quite make and he crashed with a tower's side. Those on the ground winced sympathetically, but Spike's good-natured laughter put them at ease.

"Best two out of three!" he shouted at Philomena, and the racing continued.

Author's Note:

You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Oops, I said party. I think Pinkie heard. May Celestia have mercy on us all, except typos. She can blast all the typos.

PreviousChapters Next