• Published 29th Dec 2014
  • 9,560 Views, 3,428 Comments

A Dangerous Sparkle - David Silver



Twilight Sparkle botches a spell and ends up in a whole new realm of danger and adventure, where the land is ruled by a much more pragmatic pony empire, ruled by a very mortal queen. A Ponyfinder crossover.

  • ...
40
 3,428
 9,560

PreviousChapters Next
4 - Welcome to Everglow

"You'll find the money as directed. Of course, if something were to happen to me, then it will not be there," stated the strange stallion from before. "I would say it is a pleasure, but lies do not become us."

"You keep bringing the money," said the biped standing beside him, gesturing greedily with his fingers, "And we'll make it worth coming out to say hello." He turned to the figures milling around Twilight's cage and barked something in that language she couldn't understand. The door rattled as it was unlocked and thrown open.

The figure snarled, "I would keep an eye on this one, Dawn, she is clever. Keep the horn blocker on her until you properly train her." He laughed roughly as the stallion, Dawn? approached the cage.

"We're leaving. Stand up and follow me." he said in that dead tone that sent shivers down Twilight's spine. She swiftly rose to her hooves and marched from the cage with as much dignity as she could manage, ruined by an ill-timed swat across her flank by one of her jailers. She hopped forward in surprise and snorted at the chuckling biped, but was more intent on following the first pony she'd seen than picking a fight that would land her back in the cage.

Twilight trailed along a little behind and to the side of Dawn, "Um, nice to meet you, Dawn was it? Did you... get Spike too?"

He raised a brow at her, "Why should I?"

Twilight went pale where her skin was exposed in her nose and ears, "We can't leave him behind! We've been friends forever, and he's my number one assistant."

He nodded slowly, "I figured as much. It takes a talented spellcrafter to have such a potent familiar. He is safe, but we should go before our welcome ends."

Giving a nervous laugh, Twilight took in the rough looking camp as they slowly walked out from its center, "I don't think I was ever welcome here, and he's not my familiar, he's my friend."

"You jest," said Dawn, "You were their most prized guest, for your short visit." As Twilight blanched and stuck out her tongue, he shook his head, "They value their property very highly." He said nothing regarding Spike's status, just leading her away from them, "You are lucky to walk out of an orc camp with so few scars. Physical or otherwise."

"Otherwise?" asked Twilight, looking less tense as the camp fell behind and they began to canter along in the grasslands. "They were plenty rough when they first found me, but something healed me while I was down."

"They have shamans," explained Dawn, "And you're more valuable without scars or marks." He turned away from her, towards a rock. "Come out, Spike. Your mistress is safe."

A reptilian head peeked over the top of the rock, familiar green and pink-purple hues. His fins had changed on arriving, becoming more spiraled and forward facing towards the top of his head. While the Spike of Equestria was soft and adorable, the Spike of this world was clearly designed to defend himself. "Twilight!" he exclaimed joyfully before hopping onto the rock and down. He was at her in a flash and they embraced warmly.

Twilight pulled back her forehoof, "Are you ok? They didn't... what did they do?"

Dawn cleared his throat, "We should put more distance between ourselves and the orcs, before they try to test their fortunes. The gods would frown on me to squander the chance they have given so readily. My name is Dawn Event, and you are in my care until we reach civilized land."

The group rallied together and resumed their movement as Spike spoke in eager tones, "You should have seen it, Twilight. He had those ugly guys eating from his hooves."

Twilight raised a brow, "He was mostly listening from what I saw, though he did a good job of that, uh, I should introduce myself. I am Twilight Sparkle, this is Spike. We're from Equestria."

Dawn Event shook his head, "The gods do not speak of any such place, nor have my readings."

"Oh, well," said Twilight, looking nervous as she trot along, "That's kind of because it's not around here."

"Is it across the ocean?" asked Dawn Event.

Spike laughed, "Way further than that, man."

Dawn frowned in thoughtful silence for a moment, "Are you... from another plane?"

Twilight raised a brow, "You say that like it's not impossible, which is what I normally expect from anypony."

Dawn raised a hoof, walking along on three legs as he made a wide gesture, "Everglow is but one plane of existence among many. The gods themselves reside on other planes, watching over us. How can I deny their existence?"

Spike took his turn to look perplexed, "You keep saying 'Gods', what's a god? Is it anything like Celestia?" At Dawn's raised brow he continued, "She's an alicorn princess, like Twilight, but bigger, and she raises and lowers the sun on Equestria."

"Verily," replied Dawn, "That is similar to the Sun Queen. She is the herald of the sun, and patron of leaders, diplomats, and others who need to shine with inner light to guide others. Does your 'Celestia' receive your prayers then?"

"Sort of?" came Twilight's reply. "I mean, we don't pray to her, not like that. She lives in a city, so if you want to petition her, you send a letter, or visit her. She was my personal mentor when I was first learning magic, and before I became a princess. She's kind, and caring."

Dawn shook his head as he walked, "Our god is a god. She is not trapped in mortal flesh, nor can she be easily visited or written to. She rules over a realm of brilliant light, and must peer down onto our meek world. She was one force of many that guided me to cross paths with you, Twilight Sparkle of Equestria, and see you safely on the first leg of your journey."

Spike made a wibbly wobbly motion with a claw, "She may not 'rule over a realm of light' or whatever, but Princess Celestia is immortal so far as I know. She's been around forever and a half, at least over a thousand years."

Twilight was quick to nod in agreement, "She rules with her sister at her side, Luna. She controls the moon. I don't know her as well, she was... away for most of my life. Long story."

Dawn seemed skeptical at their words, "To have immortals living among you. Your world must be rife with chaos to have such powers living beside you. I cannot see ponies of proper faith rising when they can petition their god directly, instead of learning to submit and channel their might from afar."

Spike began explaining eagerly, "Well there was that time we almost went into unending night, and that evil guy in the north with the crystals, and the changeling invasion, oh, and Discord of course, he's a master of --" his words were cut off as Twilight put a hoof over his mouth, laughing nervously.

"It's a very peaceful place, most of the time," assured Twilight. "We have the occasional problem, but we always work through them, usually me and my friends."

"And that," said Dawn, "Is exactly the problem. You are not there, what will they do now? Your people have learned to rely on their gods for their every need, you as their personal servant counting as her will."

The thought of some crisis occurring while she wasn't around to fix it stuck with Twilight, rendering her quiet as she cantered alongside her new friend. A sudden thought brought her to a sudden halt. "The book! Did you see a book? Did they give it to you?" So frantic was she that she immediately went to Dawn's saddlebags and began rooting through them without delay.

Dawn stepped away from the frantic alicorn, his expression cracking from its careful neutrality to some concern, "I did not, and they did not. Orcs are not known for collecting books, as a rule. What is this book?"

"Only THE most important book right now!" exclaimed Twilight in almost a shout, becoming frantically more unhinged as she looked around, as if it may be spotted in the grass if somepony looked hard enough. "I need it to get back home." she said stiffly, widening her circles in her desperate search.

"Uh, Twi?" said Spike, "I don't think it's going to be just laying around here."

Twilight was on the dragon in an instant, shaking him by the shoulders by her curled fetlocks, her mane a riot of tangles in manifestation of her unnerved state, "I need that book, Spike! We need that book! No book, no going home!" she cried at him, tears starting to run hot from her eyes.

Dawn placed his hoof on her shoulder, patting gently, "We will find a way to return you to your proper realm, but it is unsafe to remain here, where the orcs wander. They will not hesitate to take you and sell you again."

Spike embraced his frazzled mistress, "It'll be ok Twi, we've always figured a way out. Worst comes to worst, you'll figure out the magic on your own." He flashed a bright smile of sharp teeth, "It's nothing for the amazing Twilight, element of magic."

Twilight gave a little snort, "Oh, Spike, that was so cheesy, but you're right. Thank you, both of you." She squeezed Spike once more, then allowed Dawn to guide her towards civilization, "So... where are we headed?"

Author's Note:

I merged some of the earlier chapters so that they were longer(closer to 2k a piece instead of 1k each).

I hope everyone is enjoying it as it turns. Spot typos? Let me know! Like it? Let me know! Hate it? Still want to know.

PreviousChapters Next