• Published 14th Jan 2015
  • 4,608 Views, 367 Comments

Caverns & Cutie Marks - TheColtTrio



Discord's hosting a little game of Caverns & Cutie Marks, and the Mane Six are invited! But that's boring, so he adds in three others: three very, very strange colts.

  • ...
14
 367
 4,608

PreviousChapters Next
Origins Chapter: Bael

Darkness.

That was all the green orb was aware of. Endless, empty darkness. Well, not truly empty. The only light in the endless pit of nothingness was the inherent glow of the orb itself and the waving strings that represented the thoughts and memories of the being the orb dwelled within. The strings came in every shade and color imaginable, undulating and glowing in the darkness, casting off their own bit of light. They brushed against each other, firing off impulses and words that could be heard all around. The orb was only mildly aware of what was outside the darkness. It couldn’t see or feel or smell or touch, but it could hear.

If only it could not hear what was being said.

“Hey! You!” the purple stallion bawled. “Yes, you! Get your sorry tail over here so I can kick you right in your frilly fishy dress!”

“He just won’t shut up about the damn fish or his nose,” the orb muttered, taking its attention off the threads of thought and memory to complain. “This is getting old. The purple idjit keeps complaining about every little thing! If this keeps going, I’m going to start taking liberties.” With that, the orb went back to sifting through memories, looking for a proper form that was more impressive than a simple dwarf in the flask appearance.

A thread moved closer and touched the orb, creating an image that flashed in the blackness. A tall, blonde haired, two-legged being was sitting on a pink armchair, its shoulders covered in pink feathers while its torso and legs were clothed in an open white shirt and orange leggings respectively. Pink glasses covered the being’s eyes and a wide grin stretched its face. Words flashed across the green orb’s conscience and it hummed.

“Don Quixote Doflamingo, a Shichibukai, and Bearer of the String-String Fruit,” the orb mused. “Intelligent, ruthless, and a master of schemes. I’ll take it. Without the appearance though. And I’ll use the strings.” The image dissipated and the orb selected another thread after a short perusal. Another image sprung to life in the darkness, this time of another bipedal figure who was skeletal in bearing, but thinner than Doflamingo looked. However, this one was grey in color and bound by chains, containing it. Red wax markers held strips of parchment in place. Again, words flashed and the orb spoke.

“Cherubael, a daemonhost under Inquisitor Gregor Eisenhorn’s control. Eh...I’ll just use the appearance. Without the anorexia. And I’ll take the last part of the name.”

Once more, the image disappeared, leaving the orb to select one more thread. It did so, pulling one last memory towards itself.

This time, a mountain of a man appeared, scars covering his bare torso. Like Doflamingo, he wore something around his shoulders, a white coat that hung to his ankles. A black bandana covered his skull and a white crescent sat on his upper lip. A large polearm topped with a single edged blade was in the man’s hand.

“Edward ‘Whitebeard’ Newgate, Captain of the Whitebeard Pirates, Strongest Man in the World, one of the Four Emperors, and Bearer of the Tremor-Tremor Fruit… Huh… I’ll definitely use his strength.”

The final image vanished and the orb set about creating his body for when he was released from his confinement. Without warning, there was a popping and a mismatched creature appeared beside the orb.

“Y’know, I’m actually regretting bringing him,” Discord said. “If I knew he was this whiny, I’d have picked somepony else.”

“Ah, the god returns,” the orb snarked. “How long before you let me out? I’m getting tired of this git’s brain.”

“In due time, little one,” Discord chided patiently, patting the top of the orb.

“Seriously?” the orb grumbled. “Size is relative here. I could inflate to encompass this entire space if I wanted.”

“But you can’t, because you’re still underpowered,” Discord countered. “Just a little bit longer and you can go on your merry way of chaos and angst.” With that, the draconequus popped away, leaving the orb to its thoughts and the ramblings of Purple Heart.

“Somehow, I think this plan won’t end in the way you hope,” the orb said, setting its attention to what was occurring outside while letting its form resume solidifying and shaping. From what it could hear, Purple Heart was growing angrier and angrier with every passing word behind its back from the three mares. The orb sighed in exasperation and eyed its completed form. It shoved itself inside, taking control of the husk and opened its eyes.

“It’s time to do something about this,” Bael murmured, grasping at a stray thought. His fist tightened on the strand, making its color change from a warm red to a sickly green. He tossed it skyward, letting the thought take hold. And Purple Heart snapped. Bael grinned as he listened to the rage in the purple earth pony’s voice.

“Do not think you can fool me, princess,” the purple earth pony hissed softly, loud enough for Amber to hear, but low enough to keep Fluttershy and Rarity in the dark. “You may have them convinced that you’re just a scullery maid on holiday with your lady, but not me. I can see that you’re royalty. The way you walk, how you hold yourself, even how you talk behind a pony’s back all scream royalty. I would not be opposed to fighting in your arena. We might even visit your city on our travels, wherever it is. But know this: I wasn’t given a choice on this quest. So if you believe that I shall just roll over let you bluebloods walk over me, you are greatly mistaken.”

Bael grinned, his new teeth glinting in the darkness from the light of the threads as his eyes stared around at the chances for embarrassment of his host.

“This should be amusing,” he murmured to himself. “Yes, I could stay here and be entertained. Messing with thoughts, providing suggestions. I could even look into foxes.”

An abrupt darkness fell on Bael, blanketing the Purple Barbarian’s mind. The newly created form frowned in confusion and tried to tap into Purple Heart’s senses. Nothing. Nothing, but a whisper.

“Ya knocked ‘im out!”

Bael blinked in surprise before a grin split his face once more.

“Which is better?” he mused out loud. “Changing his thoughts from within or setting the world against him from without… Not much of a manipulator, so I’ll do the latter.” With that, he looked above and jumped, shrinking to his orb form and escaping the mind of Purple Heart. Bael hovered above the treetops, watching silently as a purple earth pony was carried away along with guarded mares.

His interest sated, Bael departed, heading to begin his plans of creation and chaos.

* * *

“I think I might have jumped the gun,” Bael grumbled as he strode through the countryside, avoiding every and any pony he came across. “Being one of two sentient bipedal creatures in all the land is not conducive of a smart choice. I’m definitely not one of the most inconspicuous things walking these forests.” He continued grumbling under his breath as he walked, thoughts whirling about in an attempt to decide his next course of action. His primary task as laid down by that god-being was simple: antagonize Purple Heart until he reaches his maximum growth. It was simple in understanding, yet difficult in implementation.

For one, Bael had no idea where Purple Heart was. It made the enacting of the plan to antagonize and initiate growth in the purple earth pony rather difficult to accomplish. So, his course of action was simple.

“Create an organization under my command to track and observe,” Bael mused to himself. “Not exactly a spy group, but a gathering of ponies to carry out my will and follow my orders. Why ponies? Because they seem to be the only other sentient race in this blasted land.” The grey biped sighed, green eyes casting skyward to gaze at the clouds overhead.

“The question of making ponies subservient to my will is ‘how’,” he murmured. “How do I influence the mind of a pony so that they follow my command...” He resumed his walking, mulling the thought over as he moved. He thought back to his brief stay inside Purple Heart’s mind. A frown creased his brow as he remembered the well of magic that the purple earth pony possessed, yet seemed unwilling to tap into. From what he’d seen of Purple Heart’s fighting strength, the stallion only seemed to utilize his physical prowess. If this was the case, then Purple Heart hadn’t reached his full potential. Bael rolled his eyes. He’d have to find a way to make the purple earth pony utilize his magic if he wanted to be free of this task...

Bael paused in his stride as a thought arose. He wondered if other ponies possessed a similar reservoir of magic. Unicorns obviously had one. They actively used magic daily. Pegasi and earth ponies though...if they had magic of an inherent and mildly dormant nature, it was conceivable that he could access that unconsciously used power to bind ponies to him.

“I wonder what my power will do to the active magic used by unicorns...” Bael mused aloud. He turned and lengthened his strides, eating up ground as he walked swiftly through the forest towards the nearest population of ponies.

* * *

Bael frowned as he watched his subordinates go about their day to day tasks under the mountain. His plan had borne fruit rather swiftly in his opinion. The pegasi and earth ponies of the small village he’d found had been susceptible to his power and changed easily, their own sleeping magic turning against them and binding them to his command. The ranks of his daemon-ponies swelled with each passing day as initiates were found in the outlying villages of the kingdom of Roania. On his orders, Bael’s recruiters never ranged closer to the center of the country where the heart of the kingdom lay along with its more prestigious citizens. His frown was because of this. If he were to expand further into the kingdom, the ponies would certainly discover his presence. Thus, he was restricted to the hamlets, the border villages that only provided taxes for the kingdom’s stuffy peerage and nothing beyond that. Save of course the occasional villager who departed for the interior, hoping to make a name for themselves.

However, there was another reason for his dark expression. His attempt to gather magic users to his banner had met a roadblock. His initial thoughts and concerns regarding the effect his power would have on unicorns with active magic had proven correct. Apparently, only one type of magic was allowed in a body. At least, one active type of magic. The first unicorn he exposed his power to had immediately cried in pain. Bael couldn’t help but stare in grim fascination as the unicorn’s magic revolted, trying to protect its host from the power Bael wielded. When the unicorn lay dead before him, Bael decided against turning any more unicorns. There was no point in continuing the procedure on other unicorns if the effect would remain the same: wasted time and power, and a corpse that would have to be disposed of.

His thoughts were interrupted by the arrival of a daemon earth pony. It bowed its head in greeting and looked up at the grey figure sprawled across his throne.

“My lord,” the stallion rumbled, his voice deep and jarring. “The purple earth pony you seek has finally been found.”

Bael’s frown immediately vanished and he sat up straight on his throne. His clawed toes clicked against the stone floor of the cavern as he stood, blinking down at the pony.

“Where?” he demanded shortly.

“In the dungeon of Gallopilli’s castle, the capital of Roania,” the pony replied.

Bael blinked once and swore in anger and irritation. Of course the pony he was looking for was in the one place he couldn’t go without revealing himself. With a sigh, he settled back onto his throne and rested his jaw on a fist as he considered his options. He could send daemon-ponies to observe and report back on Purple Heart, but that wouldn’t allow for quick response if the purple earth pony was in danger, something that only Bael was allowed to foist upon the stallion. Abducting Purple Heart was out of the question as well, as his personal growth would be halted. The only real option was to let Purple Heart prove himself enough to be released.

Bael frowned in consideration and looked at the stallion who’d told him of this news. “What is the purple earth pony’s fate?” he asked.

“He is to fight to prove his worth in the coliseum,” the stallion replied swiftly. Bael’s countenance took on a thoughtful expression. Fighting in the arena would certainly incite growth in the stallion. If not personal growth, then he would grow in strength. And maybe even learn to harness his inner magic. However, spectating wasn’t always the best way to gauge one’s strength. Eventually, Bael would have to send a pony to actually witness or participate in the selection of battles Purple Heart would be faced with.

Bael hummed in thought as he considered his options. Sending a spectator who wasn’t connected to him wouldn’t arouse suspicion, but it would make conversing all the more difficult along with the potential for betrayal. On the other hand, sending a daemon-pony would allow for the opposite: quick, timely reports and loyalty, but increased risk of discovery.

The only other course of action that Bael could take would be to slip a gladiator amongst those in the Coliseum to actually fight against Purple Heart. He’d have to find a pony skilled in fighting and one that would arouse the least suspicion from the Coliseum overseers. Then, he’d arm them, concealing their appearance with heavy armor before binding them to him. Before his thoughts strayed too far, Bael settled his gaze on the pony who had brought him the original message.

“I have a task for you,” Bael said, deciding on the spot what to do. “Are you willing to bind yourself to me, to be my right hand, my Will upon the Earth?”

The pony jerked in surprise at being addressed, astonishment clear on its youthful features. It’s expression cleared after a moment as it considered Bael’s offer. After several seconds of thoughtful silence, the stallion raised its head and looked Bael directly in the eyes.

“I am, my lord,” he replied.

Bael smiled and flicked a finger at the stallion, connecting them to one another with a string of green energy..

“Welcome,” Bael greeted, sending a pulse of power into the pony who collapsed to the floor as armor and power cloaked him in an emerald cocoon, “Grim Hammer.”

Author's Note:

Author: Purple Heart

PreviousChapters Next