• Published 14th Jan 2015
  • 4,608 Views, 367 Comments

Caverns & Cutie Marks - TheColtTrio



Discord's hosting a little game of Caverns & Cutie Marks, and the Mane Six are invited! But that's boring, so he adds in three others: three very, very strange colts.

  • ...
14
 367
 4,608

PreviousChapters Next
Interlude

A lone, nondescript pony blinked as it became aware of its surroundings in a white expanse of nothingness. The pony, being blank of face and grey of coat, looked over its shoulder, back the way it had come. Words stretched out into the beyond, disappearing into the horizon, detailing the treks and trials of nine ponies in a world they knew little about.

The pony jerked, recognition flashing across its thoughts.

A story.

That’s where the pony was.

The canvas for a story. The ass end of a story where the writing just stopped for some inexplicable reason. Confusion marred the pony’s conscious as it peered closer at the final words available to read.

Twilight thought for a moment. “Rainbow Dash? Do you remember what happened in ‘Daring Do and the Castle of Terrible Terrors’?”

Rainbow Dash raised an eyebrow at the alicorn. “You mean at the end where she’s holding out against the Naga Hordes of Poliu’Lopkiu? What about it?”

“Do you remember how that ended?”

The rainbow-maned mare frowned. “You mean how it ended on a massive cliffhanger that kept everypony waiting for months until the next book came out? What about it?”

“There’ll be a conclusion, you know,” a voice called from behind the grey pony. It jerked and turned to face the voice, surprised at the sudden sound in the seemingly empty white expanse. Some paces away stood a table, at which sat three beings in three chairs. All three were facing the pony, considering the blank visage it bore.

“We do intend to finish the story,” the voice spoke again, coming from the center being. “We just need time.” The nondescript pony scrutinized the figures, searching for discerning marks or details that set them apart from its own blank visage.

All three figures were male, that being the only similarity between the trio.

The center figure was large, broad of shoulder and heavy of bearing. His hands were clasped together on the table, relaxed in placing. An oval mask of purple and gold hid his features from sight, but could do little to hide the short brown hair on his head. His choice of garb was simple, blunt; a pair of shorts and a blank grey t-shirt. He was also barefoot, leaving large feet apparent for all to see beneath the table. Posture wise, he sat with a straight back and looked the most formal in bearing, as if addressing a court or conference.

The leftmost figure was minutely shorter than the center one, but no less stocky. His build was marginally similar to the center figure, though his shoulders were not near as broad. One stocky hand supported his chin as he gazed through the eyeholes of a dragon mask colored pink. Short red hair could be seen just barely behind the edge of his dragon mask. He was clothed in a dark green long sleeve shirt, and jeans. The sandals he wore allowed easy observation of the mix of one white and one black sock. Of the three, he was the most relaxed.

The rightmost figure was smaller than the other two, as seen by his feet barely touching the floor under the table. He wore a short-sleeved, button-down shirt, with the collar of an undershirt visible beneath, tan slacks, and a pair of red high-tops that, when standing, likely gave him a needed extra half-inch of height. Thin, long fingers were intertwined just below the eyeholes of his penguin mask, giving him the appearance of a mastermind concocting a brilliant scheme that could only be realized by penguins. His hair was the darkest of the three, an inky black that pulled from the top of his scalp like flippers. His posture was the most menacing.

The pony shook itself and cocked its head to one side, trying to convey its confusion without voice or facial expressions.

“It is with apprehensive anxiety that we announce the First and Only Hiatus for Caverns and Cutie Marks,” the center being declared.

“We await your indignation,” Penguin Mask said dryly.

“In our defense,” Dragon Mask lifted a finger, “we’ve been consistently updating for the last…what, year and a half?”

“A year and seven months,” Purple-Gold supplied. “We’ve been posting chapters weekly since January 3rd, 2015. I’d say we’re safe from internet crucifixion.”

“Says the one who wanted to post this note a week after the cliffhanger chapter,” Penguin Mask accused, glaring at Purple-Gold. “Internet crucifixion indeed.”

The large being cringed and raised his hands in defeat. “Aye, sah,” he mumbled.

Dragon Mask ignored his compatriots and addressed the grey pony. “As you may have noticed, we’ve placed this chapter directly after the previous one to prevent the aforementioned internet crucifixion.”

Disappointment and indignation welled within the pony as it tried to convey its displeasure through silence and jerking its head.
Penguin Mask waved a hand dismissively at the pony. “Don’t give me that,” he said. “We have a perfectly legitimate reason to go on hiatus.”

The pony cocked its head to one side in curiosity, though it still felt displeased at the three beings.

“We ran out of backlog,” Purple-Gold explained. “Remember that I said we first started posting on January 3rd, 2015?” At the pony’s nod, Purple-Gold continued. “We started writing Caverns and Cutie Marks four months earlier. We wanted to at least finish the entire first arc before uploading. Heck, we were still in the brainstorming phase. I wanted to write something differently altogether, but then we caught on the idea of RPG elements and humans from humanland, shaken not stirred, into a Discord infused cocktail of hilarity and shenanigans. And yes, I’ve finished Undertale, so quit ragging on me. I’ve already pissed you off with my excessive Dark Souls meme usage without playing the ga-”

A smack sounded when Penguin Mask slapped Purple-Gold upside the head.

“Shut up,” Penguin Mask ordered. “You’re rambling. And embarrassing us. And yes, play Dark Souls.”

“And stop missing.” Dragon Mask threw out before turning back to look at the pony. “In any case we do have a plan for our hiatus. We’ll keep writing until the fic is done. Then we’ll edit it, and start posting again.” The pony looked thoughtful for a moment before looking questioningly at the Dragon Mask. “Yeah, we’re basically doing what we did at the beginning for the end. If it ain’t broke, then don’t fix it.”

The pony mimed an hourglass and then putting something up. “When will we start… fencing again?” Dragon Mask guessed causing the pony to frown.

“When will we throw science at the wall?” Purple-Gold asked, causing the pony to wave its arms and wildy gesture differently.

“It’s like it’s trying to speak to me, I just know it,” Penguin Mask said, leaning away as his eyes narrowed. “Or to seduce me... I’m not sure.”

Purple-Gold snorted and his head went forward as shudders wracked his upper body. The grey pony tried to puff its cheeks in annoyance, an action which only sent the center figure into greater shudders of laughter when he saw it.

“Oh man,” he wheezed. “That’s so funny and adorable!” Penguin Mask slapped Purple-Gold again to silence him. It worked, but didn’t stop his shaking.

“Anyways,” Penguin Mask sniffed, “we’re going on Hiatus. No idea when we’ll resume. Definitely before the year ends though.”

Purple-Gold’s shaking finally ceased and he straightened, clearing his throat. “I think we’ve said all we wanted to say.” He looked at his comrades. “Anything to add?”

“I was hoping to shout redacted at some point,” Dragon Mask said, leaning against his hand. “Other than that, I’m good. You?” He turned to Penguin Mask

“Go left,” Penguin Mask replied, grinning behind his mask at the now disgruntled Purple-Gold.

“Meh you,” Purple-Gold sniffed. “We’re done here.”

The trio faded from the canvas along with the table and chairs, leaving a grey pony alone in the white expanse of blank canvas. A phrase appeared near the pony’s hooves, flashing to catch its attention.

Angst-Comment?

The pony raised and lowered its shoulders in a silent sigh and stood there, waiting for something to happen.

Author's Note:

Authors: Purple Heart, Light Patch, Wits End

PreviousChapters Next