• Published 14th Jan 2015
  • 4,609 Views, 367 Comments

Caverns & Cutie Marks - TheColtTrio



Discord's hosting a little game of Caverns & Cutie Marks, and the Mane Six are invited! But that's boring, so he adds in three others: three very, very strange colts.

  • ...
14
 367
 4,609

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 56: How to Properly Hide Your Artifact of Doom

“Okay, now this,” Light Patch gestured widely to the massive stone facade covering the far wall of the cavern they’d just entered, “this is where you keep an ancient artifact of malevolence… This is also probably where Mareleficent has her summer home,” he finished under his breath. “Not in a hole in a ground in the middle of a two by three shack.”

“It is more impressive, but if you were trying to keep the artifact from being used, the less impressive entrance will probably turn more away,” Just Duty stated dryly, stepping carefully down the switchbacks that allowed access to the floor of the cavern.

Light Patch took another look at the far facade clearly lit by massive green fires centered over massive sconces along it. “I guess this place isn’t quite as small as I thought it was. Looks like I’m gonna have to apologise to Twilight later,” Light Patch mused aloud as he slowly navigated a narrow section of the switchbacks. “In any case, this is a strong sign that there was something here,” Light Patch said, carefully testing the crumbling section of path ahead of him.

“Now to answer the question of whether or not it’s still here,” Just Duty finished as he stepped onto the cavern floor. He waited for his compatriot to get off the switchbacks before setting out with Light Patch alongside of him. They slowly made their way towards the facade. Massive green fires from the far wall lit their path enough that they barely needed their torch, if only to banish the deep shadows the green flames also cast. Several times their smaller torch revealed gaping holes leading deep into the ground. More than once, Light Patch swore he’d seen things scuttling just past where he could see. The two hastened their pace as much as they safely could without blundering into one of the gaping maws.

They sprinted the last few feet to the entrance to the ruins proper. Light Patch hesitated at the entrance, peering in and couldn’t help but notice all of the similarities to the catacombs under the castle.

“Problems?” Just Duty asked, standing in the entry way.

“The construction is reminding me of a bad memory or two,” the pegasus responded, following Just Duty in. “Would you happen to know if there is any connection between these ruins and the catacombs under the castle back in the capital?”

“I do not believe there is any strong connection. The castle was built fairly recently. And what little I know about the history of these ruins say they are much older,” Just Duty replied, observing the largish room they started with.

“Yeah, now that you mention it, the construction is more function over beauty here,” the pegasus said, running a hoof over the dull grey stone walls. “Still full of traps,” he noted pointing out an open pit with spikes at the bottom.

“No skeletons at the bottom. It looks like fortune favored us and the age of the mechanisms did the trap in,” the older stallion said, peeking over the edge of the pit. “Still though, these places were built to last, so most of the traps are probably still in working order.”

“For at least one more activation at least,” Light Patch chimed in. “Also, who knows what may have moved in and possibly decided to keep the traps in working order for whatever reason,” the stallion said, turning to slowly make his way down a hallway not blocked by a broken pit trap. He took a couple of steps before a rope snapped and another large hole opened in front of him. “You know, in hindsight, one of us probably should have looked into getting some backup that knows how to deal with traps.”

Just Duty facehoofed. “Yes, that would have been a very good idea. It’s a shame we thought of it now and not sooner.” He sighed before pointing towards a third, still unblocked corridor.

The two stallions worked their way carefully through the ruins doing everything they could to avoid traps or at least trigger them from where they’d be safe. They could tell they were going deeper into both the ruins but also the earth, lacking knowledge about the layout of the ruins however that was about all they could tell.

“So, is it just me or does this all seem to be getting more elaborate now?” Light Patch asked, looking at one of the flame holders. Just Duty looked up from the floor where he’d been watching for traps.

“Now that you mention it, there is a little more pomp in the torch brackets. The tiles also appear to be nicer in a miniscule way, beveled edges and a different material type.”

“I’m going to assume that's a sign that we’re heading the right way,” Light Patch replied, focusing back on the ceiling for traps. They’d split the trap watch, one watches the ceilings, the other watches the floor, and they both keep an eye on the walls. “So, what do you know about the artifact? What are its powers or history?”

“Why do you ask?” Just Duty asked, cocking his head to the side as he used a long pole to test the floor for triggers, “and why now after so long?”

“Well, I figured it’d help to know more about it. Its history and powers and whatnot. Might help us figure out what kind of stuff they might have set up to protect it when we get closer to it,” the pegasus replied, hovering closer to the ceiling. “I mean if I had an artifact of stupid amounts of power I’d be all over using it in a trap if I didn’t want others to get to it. Save some gold and effort to just make it guard itself.”

I hadn’t even thought of that. I truly am out of practice, Just Duty realized with surprise. “I don’t even have protection against mind control anymore,” he muttered, realizing too late he’d spoken out loud.

“So this is some kind of mind control thing?” Light Patch asked. “Great, and I don’t even think I could get tin foil to make a hat,” he whined. Just Duty grunted in annoyance.

The gods curse my tongue, the older stallion thought bitterly. I didn’t mean to let that information become known so easily. It will be much harder to convince him to not destroy it here but transport it out and allow me to keep it instead. Before his thoughts could get any further, a wing poked his muzzle. “What?” he snapped angrily as he twisted around to face the pegasus with him.

“Found it,” Light Patch said, pointing to the middle of the large room they’d entered. There in the center of the chamber on a thin pillar at about eye level was a very delicate looking combination of thin crystal sheets and thinner gold rings. “It looks very fragile. I could probably take it out with a good rock throw from here,” the pegasus said, bouncing a rock in his hoof experimentally. He had just started to aim for the throw when Just Duty blocked him.

“Wait!” He moved his hoof at the angry glance the pegasus shot at him. “We don’t even know if we can break it, or if we should. The ones who put it in here might not have wanted it destroyed,” Just Duty finished, carefully making his way closer while quietly praying he didn’t activate magic traps.

“If its creators didn’t want it broken,” Light Patch snapped back, moving quickly to catch up, “they wouldn’t have balanced this thing on a pillar where a good Earth quake would knock it off.” He circled the pillar.

“It’s probably protected from that by magic.”

“The spell could fail or be disrupted.”

“Enchantments take ages to fail, and just because this looks delicate doesn't mean it actually is. This could be hard enough to use as shot for a siege engine.” Just Duty heard a tiny clink as the horseshoe on Light Patch’s hoof touched the side of the artifact.

“Well, let's test that right now.” Light Patch suggested, preparing to shove it off the pedestal. Just Duty’s pupils shrunk and he dove forward to pull Light Patch’s hoof away.

“Are you mad!?” he shouted at the pegasus as he stood up and placed himself squarely between the artifact and the pony. “Even if we could destroy the artifact, it could cause a massive release of magic. In laymen’s terms, a massive explosion that at the very least will probably kill us and at worst could decimate the surrounding land,” he said rapidly, trying to think of ways to convince Light Patch not to destroy the artifact.“Besides, I only know rumors of it’s power. For all we know, it could just glow like a lantern.”

“You sounded fairly certain of what kind of danger we could be in when I suggested they might use the artifact in a trap to help protect it,” Light Patch shot back, poking the ex-paladin.

“You’re suggestion reminded me of how much my god’s blessings protected me from hostile forces and how exposed I am now without them,” Just Duty swiftly returned. He leaned his head down to come face to face with the grey pegasus. “While your help is appreciated, I didn’t ask you to come along. This is my mission, and I will complete it as I see fit, and I see fit to carry this artifact out of here.”

“But I am here,” Light Patch fired back, “so I get a say in all of this, and I say we destroy this here and now. If we do try to find a wizard to destroy it, the artifact could be stolen before we can dispose of it.” Just Duty snorted and was opening his mouth to speak his next words when a large thud rang through the chamber. Both ponies looked in surprise at the back of the chamber which had opened up to reveal a large very poorly lit room. They barely had a moment to glance at each other before a creature began to pull itself out of the shadows of the room.

With a burst of speed the monster launched itself through the door between the two adventurer dodging it’s charge. It twisted in air and tentacles grabbed the ceiling over the artifact, hanging from the ceiling it twisted its body until it faced the two pony adventurers, two purple blood shot eyes opened and locked independently onto the adventurers. Two misshapen arms of muscle, bone blades, and spines unfolded from its body and a mouth full of bent needle like teeth cracked open to form an evil smile just before it lunged towards Light Patch, its body swinging towards the pegasus like a pendulum. Light Patch jumped away from the beast’s outstretched arms along with a panicked swing of his war hammer. The hammer missed as the creature shifted its weight to swing itself around towards Just Duty.

“It’s a Crypt Pendulum, it uses its eyes to hear!” Just Duty shouted while batting away one of creatures arms with his own warhammer. “But why is this in here? This area of the ruins are way too confining for it’s species normally.”

“Look at the rings the things using, they’re perfectly sized for it’s tentacles,” Light Patch pointed out. “I think whoever built the ruins and put the artifact in here brought that to guard the artifact.” The grey pegasus ducked under the beast’s arms and bolted inside of its guard and twisted his hammer around tried to use the handle to stab the nearest of the monster’s eyes only for the creature to twist the eye out of the way at the last second.

The monster threw its weight towards Just Duty, screeching as it swung. The stallion jumped to the side, dodging right into its left arm. The creature's body slammed into the wall that Just Duty been pressed against moments ago. Roaring with rage and pain, the Crypt Pendulum shuddered as it hung over the artifact. Light Patch sprinted around the room to quickly heal Just Duty.

“You seem to know what it is. How do we beat it?” Light Patch asked, using his magic to speed the old noble’s recovery.

“To a pulp preferably. While the creature’s eyes are sensitive, hitting them won’t impair its ability to locate us,” Just Duty replied. “It’s weak to magic so if I can-” the sound of a sickly wheeze interrupted the stallion. He quickly turned and pushed Light Patch away before he jumped just in time to dodge the glob of acidic slime the monster spat. “Right, it can spit acid,”

“Duly noted,” Light Patch said, dodging more globs of the creatures acid. “Now finish your plan.”

“My hammer is enchanted to hit with lighting but I need a solid hit against the monster’s body. If you have a way to distract it, I should be able to finish it,” Just Duty said, jumping to dodge the creature as it attempted to use itself as a giant club again.

Light Patch took a moment to search his memory now that the creature’s attention was focused elsewhere. He began to rapidly dig through his gear for something useful when a bottle slipped from it’s pouch and fell to the ground shattering. The sight send a spark through his memory, he ducked under the the monster’s grasp and stepped inside it’s guard readying his warhammer to strike, “Sonic Burst!” he shouted using his only offensive ability. The air warped around his hoof and then shot forward slamming into the creature’s body. Instantaneously, both eyes began to spaz out. The Crypt Pendulum gave a confused wail as Light Patch slammed his hammer into it, sending it swinging over towards Just Duty.

Just Duty raised his warhammer and as soon as the creature was close enough, he slammed it into the side of the creature. Barely seconds after the hammer’s head connected, there was a flash of light and then the rumble of thunder as the hammer’s lightning enchantment activated. The creature screeched in pain and specks of acid flew everywhere as it soared to the far side of the room and slammed into the wall with a wet crunch. The two adventurers waited for the creature to stir but it remained there. After a few seconds, the two cautiously approached the monster.

Suddenly it stirred and with an angry roar, its arms flailed in a last ditch attempt to maim one of the ponies. An arm barely managed to catch Light Patch across the face. With another flash of lightning and and roll of thunder, Just Duty finished the creature off before trotting closer to Light Patch who was rapidly bandaging up a scratch on his face.

The two panted as the stood over the corpse of the creature. Before either of them could say anything, the distinct sound of fires sparking to life echoed through the chamber. They whirled in place, both raising their warhammers against the perceived threat only to see the distinctive green torches lighting in pairs through the room that the creature had emerged from.

“That is slightly concerning,” Just Duty noted as they watched the torches continue into the seemingly endless room. A loud clunk snapped their focus back to the nearest sections of the artifact guardian’s room walls as small sections began sliding away, revealing themselves to be doors.

The two adventurers glanced at each other, fear and exhaustion evident on their faces. They both turned back to see more and more doors begining open. “Grab it an’ run?” Light Patch suggested.

“Grab it and run,” Just Duty parroted back. They both turned around, he quickly grabbed the artifact and followed the pegasus, neither wanting to face the possibly endless hordes awakening to guard the artifact.

Author's Note:

Author: Light Patch

PreviousChapters Next