• Published 14th Jan 2015
  • 4,609 Views, 367 Comments

Caverns & Cutie Marks - TheColtTrio



Discord's hosting a little game of Caverns & Cutie Marks, and the Mane Six are invited! But that's boring, so he adds in three others: three very, very strange colts.

  • ...
14
 367
 4,609

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 25: I See Your Angst and Raise You Bandits

“Grumble mumble bumble humble bundle,” Purple Heart growled under his breath. “Tired of bandits.” Amber giggled softly at the purple stallion’s irritation.

“He isn’t very good at controlling his temper, is he?” the gold unicorn whispered to the mares beside her. Rarity shrugged and cast a surreptitious look at Purple Heart’s rear end.

“He does have a habit of being...impetuous,” the white unicorn confessed in an equally soft tone. “However, he is the strongest here. I believe it would be wise to not give him cause to be angry.”

“Aha,” Amber murmured. After a few seconds, she spoke again. “How great of a warrior is he?” The trio of mares all turned their gazes to Purple Heart. Silence fell as Fluttershy and Rarity considered Amber’s question regarding the stallion. Unbeknownst to them, Purple Heart could hear their little conversation and his temper wasn’t much better because of it. The desire to snap at the other members of his party was growing exponentially every second. And Purple Heart had no idea why. Sure, his temper didn’t have the longest of fuses, but why was he so peeved by ponies talking behind his back? Fluttershy spoke, breaking the purple earth pony from his thoughts.

“We don’t know of many warriors from where we come from,” Fluttershy mused, “except for Shining Armor. But from watching Purple Heart fight, I should say he is a very great warrior.” Amber Glitter ‘huhed’ in interest, doing nothing for Purple Heart’s already short fuse.

One more word about me and I may blow it, the purple earth pony thought. Hopefully, we’ll find these bandits before that happens.

“You know,” Amber chimed. Aw piss. “I’d like to see him fight in the Royal Arena. I think he’d prove to be entertaining.” Purple Heart froze, a hoof raised midstep. There were three squeaks of surprise as Rarity, Fluttershy, and Amber ran into the stock-still earth pony.

“Purple Heart!” Rarity snapped. “What was that for?!” Purple Heart rounded on the fallen mares, his cobalt eyes flashing with anger. The purple stallion opened his mouth to speak, but no sound came. Several moments passed as Purple Heart glared first at Rarity then Fluttershy before settling his hostile gaze on Amber. The gold unicorn blushed as Purple Heart advanced to stand over her, bringing his muscled form bare inches away from her own shivering slender body. With cold fury in his eyes, Purple Heart glared down at Amber, bringing a deep flush to the unicorn’s already crimson cheeks. Her bright eyes widened in surprise when Purple Heart dipped his head as if to bring his lips to hers. Her blush wasn’t helped either. Instead of bringing his lips to her’s, he moved his broad muzzle past her face and stopped when his gritted teeth were inches away from her left ear.

“Do not think you can fool me, princess,” the purple earth pony hissed softly, loud enough for Amber to hear, but low enough to keep Fluttershy and Rarity in the dark. “You may have them convinced that you’re just a scullery maid on holiday with your lady, but not me. I can see that you’re royalty. The way you walk, how you hold yourself, even how you talk behind a pony’s back all scream royalty. I would not be opposed to fighting in your arena. We might even visit your city on our travels, wherever it is. But know this: I wasn’t given a choice on this quest. So if you believe that I shall just roll over let you bluebloods walk over me, you are greatly mistaken.” Purple Heart straightened and walked away, his tirade completed.

“Let’s get this over with,” he growled over his shoulder. “I’m particularly keen to be away from Miss Glitter.” As he began walking away, his thoughts raced.

What made me say that? Sure, I wasn’t fooled by her ‘maid’ appearance, but I didn’t have to snap like that… Something is wrong. And I don’t know what is happening. Rarity obviously had a different opinion on the matter.

“What in the name a Celestia is your problem?” she screeched, clambering to her hooves. “That was completely uncalled for, even if you were offended by something. Kindly control yourself in the future!” Much to the white unicorn’s surprise, Purple Heart didn’t reply. Instead, he continued walking. Fluttershy and Rarity shared a confused look before turning to look at Amber.

“What did he say to you?” Fluttershy prompted, awaiting an explanation. The gold unicorn didn’t respond as she watched Purple Heart’s retreating hindquarters. Never before had she been spoken to in such a fashion by anypony. Aside from that, she had never been in such close proximity with another pony in her life, particularly one of the opposite sex. Had they not been in their current situation, she would have found the proximity...pleasant. Purple Heart was indeed a handsome pony, in his own powerful rugged way. He was right. She was indeed a princess. And having a consort such as him would be a great benefit to her. Her thoughts were interrupted by Fluttershy flapping into the air beside Rarity, a concerned expression on her face.

“We should catch up with him,” she murmured gently. “He’s starting to worry me.” Rarity nodded in agreement.

“I’m starting to think that his congestion might be affecting his mental state,” the white unicorn mused. “He was getting rather upset in the time before we met you.” She nodded to Amber. The golden unicorn stood slowly, her heart still racing from Purple Heart’s words. If she could convince him to come with her, her claim on the throne would be secure if not protected. Having a strong pony such as him by her side would certainly be an advantage.

“Aren’t you coming, dear?” Rarity asked over her shoulder. Amber blinked in surprise. It took the golden unicorn a moment to realize that she was being left behind by the three ponies. She broke into a swift canter to catch up. By the time she had drawn level with Rarity and Fluttershy, she had retreated back into her own thoughts, thinking of how she could convince Purple Heart to stay with her.

While Amber Glitter plotted, the purple earth pony in question was watching the trees intently, wary of an ambushes or surprise attacks that might spring upon them. Fluttershy sidled up beside him and tapped the hefty colt on the shoulder.

“Um,” she said softly. “Pardon me, Mister Heart, but are you okay?” Purple Heart blinked and flared his nostrils impressively.

“Mister Heart?” he echoed. “Please, just call me Purple, or Purple Heart if you prefer. Misterr Heart makes me feel...old...and decrepit.” Fluttershy winced, unused to the hostile nuances in the purple stallion’s voice. When she had first met him, he had spoken with confidence and humor, giving him an relaxed aura. Only when it was absolutely required did his voice rise beyond that of a conversational tone. But now, he was more quick to anger.

“I’m sorry,” the yellow pegasus whispered. “I didn’t mean to make you upset.” Purple Heart’s pace slowed and he softened his expression into what he hoped was a kind smile. To his relief, a small smile broke across Fluttershy’s face.

“To be honest,” Purple Heart confessed, “I don’t feel all that well. And I don’t think a spell will help.”

“Oh.” Fluttershy nodded slowly and looked to the path. An amiable silence fell on the pair as they listened to Rarity and Amber discuss who-knows-what behind them.

“Why is Discord doing this?” Fluttershy whispered, almost to herself. “I thought he had gotten over his controlling nature.” Purple Heart didn’t respond for a few seconds. Then he took a breath and spoke.

“Ponies don’t change overnight,” he said softly. “Me, Light, and Wits have a bit of experience in that department. You can’t try to cage or inhibit somepony’s true nature. It could cause significant harm and pain to the pony in question and most likely hurt those around them. Discord is the embodiment of Chaos. Trying to imprison such a force is dangerous and risky at best.” Fluttershy looked up at the purple stallion in surprise. Rarity and Amber had trotted closer and were listening to Purple Heart speak, entranced by his deep voice.

“Are you saying we should stop trying to help Discord?” Fluttershy asked as tears began to form in her aquamarine eyes. “We should just let his power corrupt him again?” Purple Heart came to a slow stop and turned to look down kindly at at the yellow pegasus.

“I’m saying,” he urged. “That you shouldn’t force Discord to change his nature. Too many horrible things happen if you employ force. Take it from somepony who tried and failed miserably. Regardless, you should just try to help Discord acclimate to a world where he isn’t the sole power to be reckoned with. If anything, just be a friend he can rely on and enjoy the company of.” Purple Heart lifted a hoof and patted Fluttershy on the head gently before turning back to the path and began walking again. Fluttershy, Rarity, and Amber stood in stunned awe at the conversation that had just transpired.

“Are you sure he’s crazy?” Amber whispered. Rarity made a noncommittal shrug as she stared after the purple stallion.

“I honestly thought he was crazy,” the fashionista replied.

“Who’s crazy?” a strange voice asked. The three mares jerked in surprise and began searching for the voice’s owner.

“Purple Heart?” Amber called. “I think we’re in trouble.”

“You think?” the barbarian pony snapped, his foul mood returning. “You don’t have to tell me that.” The three mares looked forward and gaped. Purple Heart glowered as he was led back to them, flanked on either side by two earth ponies decked out in bandit garb. Both held swords to the purple barbarian pony’s thick neck and another two bandits fluttered above him, crossbows aimed at his head.

“Girls,” Purple Heart grumbled. “Meet the Bandits.” Rarity, Amber, and Fluttershy all waved weakly at the four ponies watching Purple Heart.

“Turn ‘round, lassies,” one of the ponies barked. “We’re taking a walk.”

“We were just on one you dumpkoff,” Purple Heart growled. The three mares gasped in horror as one of the bandit ponies clubbed the purple earth pony into silence. Purple Heart collapsed to the ground, unconscious.

“Ya idjit!” a new pony snapped, materializing out of the trees. His armor was just a bit more nicer, though not by much, but it labeled him as somepony higher up the pecking order. A gnarled horn sprouted through his messy brown mane that almost blended in with his dirty coat.

“Ya knocked ‘im out!” the unicorn sneered at the group of ponies around the now unconscious Purple Heart. The offending pony shuffled its hooves in embarrassment.

“S’rry, cap’n,” the earth pony mumbled. The captain sighed and waved his hoof dismissively.

“Ya better carry him,” he ordered. “We need to get them to Boomer before night falls. Ya know how he hates to be kept waiting.”

“Um, excuse me,” Fluttershy whispered nervously. “What are you going to do with us?” The bandit unicorn captain shrugged as he turned to the yellow pegasus and gestured. A dozen more bandit ponies appeared out of the forest and formed a circle around the already assembled ponies.

“Whatever we want,” the captain replied. “S’long as it pleases Boomer.” Fluttershy whimpered at the possible inclinations as she, Rarity, and Fluttershy were led into the forest to meet the enigma that was Boomer. As they walked, no-pony noticed the red glow that had vacated Purple Heart’s body the moment he had been struck unconscious. It paused for a moment, hovering there as if watching the procession leave. And then it turned away and floated into the darkening sky.

* * *

“But my cabbages!” the merchant bawled. “How will I get my cabbages to market without a cart?” Those assembled in the tent looked towards one end of the pseudo-court to the old and bent earth pony sitting on a throne. Wrinkles creased the pony’s face like a maze. A ragged cape of velvet was draped across the old pony’s narrow shoulders and covered that majority of his ash colored body. The earth pony leaned forward, a cheery grin etched into his wrinkled features.

“Not my problem now, is it?” he croaked cheerfully. “I prefer leafy greens like lettuce, although in moderation. Thus, your cabbages are of no interest to me.”

“But if I can get them to market,” the merchant pleaded. “I can cut you in on the profits. How does 60% sound?” The tent went deathly quiet as all eyes turned to the old earth pony on the throne. Everypony blanched in shock and horror at the veritable aura of hostility that enveloped the aged earth pony.

“Do you think me so low as to leech off the profit of others instead of simply stealing their goods or working for myself?” the pony growled menacingly. “Do you?!”

“Um,” the merchant squeaked. “No?”

“Well you’re wrong,” the earth pony hissed. Almost instantly, his aggressive aura evaporated and he returned to his cheery self once more. “Go and talk to Bits, the quartermaster. She’ll ink out our agreement. Now, away! I need a nap and perhaps a cold drink.” The merchant blinked in surprise at the sudden change in demeanor before bowing and thanking the old pony profusely even as he was dragged from the tent by the herd of departing ponies. Eventually, the tent was silent. The old earth pony sighed contentedly and lounged on his throne.

“Send in the new filly,” the old pony ordered. “My neck hurts. I think a good massage will help.” Seconds later, a young filly with a coat the color of the sea paced hesitantly into the main tent and knelt before the old pony. Her cyan colored mane was tied up in a braid and flopped over one shoulder.

“At your will,” she whimpered, her eyes averted. The earth pony sat up and gazed down at the little pony.

“Do you know who I am?” the old pony asked softly. The young pony nodded, not looking up.

“You’re Lord Boomer,” she squeaked. “The Disgraced Brother of his highness, King Bastion.” The old earth pony nodded in affirmation.

“Do you know why I was disgraced, little one?” Boomer asked. The little filly shook her head.

“I was framed,” Boomer hissed. “I was framed for killing my own sister. By my brother. As if I could lift a hoof in against her in anger, much less a knife. Did you know my sister?” The little filly nodded.

“She always looked after me when I was young,” Boomer murmured, his voice almost too low to hear. “She kept us from demolishing each other when we were young. She was the intermediary between us, a peacekeeper. I loved her. We both did. But now, I’m out here, banished to scrape the dregs of the kingdom to get by. I have to employ bandits and there’s no entertainment whatsoever. I-”

“My lord, we have some entertainment for you,” a voice said from the tent flap. “Shall we bring it in?” Boomer frowned.

“Oh, yes please,” he snapped sarcastically. “I was just reminiscing about my dear sister so no need to worry, just come right in.” The voice obliged and the unicorn captain trotted into the tent, trailed by a group of bandits guarding three mares and several more supporting the hefty form of a purple earth pony covered in blue tattoos. Boomer stood and glared down at the assembling ponies, irritation flashing across his features as he sneered at the snoring purple behemoth.

“What kind of entertainment do you call this?” he grouched. “No instruments, no jugglers, no acrobats, nothing. Just three fillies and a unconscious, but loudmouthed shnook.” To the surprise of everypony present, the shnook in question jerked awake, enforced his weight on the bandit ponies carrying him, and stumbled to his hooves. With bleary eyes, the purple earth pony glared up at Boomer.

“I,” he mumbled, “am not a loudmouthed shnook. I dare you to call me that again. Snoring is not my natural state. Of that I am certain.”

Author's Note:

Author: Purple Heart

PreviousChapters Next