• Published 6th Jan 2015
  • 3,094 Views, 62 Comments

TwiDash Prompt Collab - TwiDashCollabs



Mini-stories of everyone's favorite pegasus and unicorn-turned-alicorn ship written by TwiDash group members.

  • ...
13
 62
 3,094

PreviousChapters Next
Music - Thak

“Geez, Egghead, you really suck at this, you know?”

There is a saying in Equestria regarding the potential lethality of certain facial expressions, whereby one pony wishes the sheer intensity of said expressions had, for the briefest of moments, a marked physical impact on the recipient.

Twilight considered (that is to say, decided against without further study) to provide enough magical energy to remove the questionable conjunction from said idiom. However, she had been strictly counseled on her disregard of physics and the disasters that followed when she involved magic to influence the physical world solely to correct what is, or was, exclusively a matter of personal embarrassment.

This did not stop her from utilizing the more figurative aspects of the phrase in question, and with years of practice born of necessity in corralling her three unruly protégés with scarcely a sound, Twilight glared at the cyan Pegasus floating in the air before her with as much intensity as she could muster.

Mind! That is not to say that fair Rainbow’s observation lacked merit ; indeed, Twilight herself had, quite succinctly, stated Rainbow’s rather churlish thought mere minutes before, as her primary objection to engaging in such an activity in the first place.

Still, Twilight had agreed to practice with her fiancé so as not to cause too much embarrassment at their wedding some three months hence.
Thus she found herself in one of the more Spartan rooms in the fortress that was her new home, the meager furniture pushed aside, and a fresh layer of pine planks quickly secured to the crystal floor.

The speed with which such a floor had been both procured and installed simultaneously fascinated and infuriated the Princess; on one hoof, the sheer economy of movement shown by her friends (specifically that of the Apple family) brought to mind a burning desire to see exactly how much of the country’s failing infrastructure could be brought in line with modern standards should such ponies be in charge of overseeing the task.

On the other hoof, with the dance floor now completely secured, as well as a sound system mysteriously brought in by another Apple family member (though it had yet to be conclusively determined, once and for all, whether or not Pinkie Pie was indeed a distant relative of the Apples), Twilight found her list of logical arguments against participating in what would most assuredly be, at least as far as recent memory was concerned, her most embarrassing moment to date dwindling rather rapidly.

“Ahem. I believe what Rainbow is trying to say, Darling, is that perhaps this isn’t the right music for you? I think we should try something a little less esoteric. While DJ-Pon3’s music is perfectly acceptable in most nightclubs, there’s nothing like a classic for a first dance, yes? Aha! Here it is! A nice, simple waltz should do.”

“Rarity…,” moaned Rainbow. “Waltzes are boring!”

“Nonsense! The waltz is, by far, one of the most romantic and timeless dances of all time. The poise! The sophistication! The joie de vive coming from two lovers floating inches above the dance floor, lost in each other’s embrace as they breathlessly dance the night away! Their eyes lock, and for the briefest moment time stops as their love bursts forth in a sea of emotion; a crashing wave that sweeps them away from all of pony kind in unbridled passion!”

“Wow…” whispered Rainbow Dash.

“But Rarity isn’t the waltz hard? I have a difficult time with the simple moves Rainbow showed me. Can’t we just rock back and forth for a few seconds and call it good?” asked Twilight.

“Certainly not! This is going to be a Royal wedding! Everypony who’s anypony will be certain to attend, and I will not let my friends simply ‘rock back and forth’ like a pair of fillies at their first dance!” cried Rarity.

“Whoa there Sugarcube!” said Applejack, coming up the stairs. “What’s all this fussin’ about? I thought we agreed you’d simmer down, and not get so worked up over everything.”

“You’re right, Darling. It’s just that Twilight is having doubts about learning how to waltz, and I guess I got a little carried away.”

“Y’don’t know how to waltz? I thought you grew up in Canterlot?” asked Applejack, eyes narrowing.

“I did! It’s not like I don’t know what it is,” explained Twilight. “I’ve just never had an opportunity to practice with anypony.”

“Lookee here, Sugarcube. Ain’t nothin’ to it. You can count to three, right?”

“Obviously,” said Twilight.

“And you trust Dash, right?” asked Applejack.

“Of course!” said Twilight.

“Then there’s nothin’ to it.Follow her lead, and let the music move you.”

“Thanks, Applejack. I feel a lot better about this. Want to give it a shot, Rainbow?” asked Twilight.

“Sure! And don’t worry. I won’t let you down,” said Rainbow

“Never,” said Twilight, smiling as the music began to fill the room.

PreviousChapters Next