• Published 20th May 2015
  • 313 Views, 5 Comments

Linkin Pony Recharge: Chasing the Sun - Kaciekk



The not so distant future, where Equestria has been neglected, a young Unicorn trys to understand the way the world is while maturing and trying to make his father proud.

  • ...
3
 5
 313

Chapter VI: A Colt Trying To Help

A calm breeze shifted the curtains on the window. I lay on my bed drawing random scribbles. The door creaked open and my mother slid in. She approached me and glanced down to where I was looking.

“What are you drawing?” She asked.

“I don’t know,” I admitted.

Mom peered around my room for a moment and then back to me. “Would you like to help me with something in the camp?”

I puffed my cheeks out then replied. “Okay.” After straightening the papers onto my nightstand, I was guided by Mom.

As our paces match, Mom began a conversation. “So, I heard you were practicing magic last night.” I nodded. “You were doing good, huh?”

“Yeah, I guess. I can kind of do magic, but only for a short time. And I almost passed out,” I explained.

“It’s a good start,” Mom soothed.

We headed into the gardening tent where I was the day before. I analyzed the area and noted there were less ponies than yesterday. Mom’s head shifted upward. I copied her and spotted ponies working on beams above.

“Were’nt they working on that yesterday?” I questioned.

“Yeah,” Mom confirmed. “It’s about time it needs to be fixed up. They want to work with the sprinklers that water the plants.”

I cocked my head. “What am I supposed to do? If I try to help, I’ll step on the plants.”

“We’ll stay out of the garden. We’re going to work on setting up this station.” She gestured to a support beam.“Give me that wrench thing over there.” Her hoof pointed to a box.

I went to it and shuffled the tools. I saw one. “Is it this thing that turns?”

Mom hesitated.”Uh… yeah.”

I picked it up in my teeth and brought it to her. Magic lifted the tool above her brown mane and unscrewed a bolt. Mom’s magic held the beam tight. Her warm brown eyes glanced around.

“CharmingRhythm!” She shouted across the tent.

Dad’s head popped up and his eyes were huge. He cantered carefully between the rows of plants.

“What, what, what?”

“Keep this in place.” Mom pointed upward with her muzzle. Mom’s lime green magic was replaced with light blue. “Sketch, get me that pipe.”

I saw a thin pipe and grabbed it just like the tool. The mint green Unicorn took it and lined it against the beam perpendicularly. It was interesting to work as a family.

Mom bared her teeth. “I need glue.”

I found a tube of adhesive glue. I handed it over with my hoof. “Thanks,” my mother said. The mare did the work to put the glue behind the pipe.

“How are you going to hold it there while it dries?” I speculated, sounding naive.

“The clampy thing.” Dad waved his blue hoof around.

I located what he was talking about. When Mom received it, she tightened it over the pipe and the beam.

“Then when it dries you take it off,” I said. “And you connect more pipes on it.”

“Mm-hmm,” Dad validated.

“Thanks for helping,” Mom announced.

“That’s all?” I stated.

“Yes, for now.”

“If you want to do some other stuff,” Dad brought forth, “You can go find SpinningNote.” He really did not explain much.

I left the tent and searched around the clearing. I spied a red-violet Unicorn speaking among other ponies.

I trotted up to him. “Uncle Spinning, you need some help?”

Greyish brown eyes looked to me and lit up. “Ya, ya!” He gave a smirk. “C’mon.”

I questioned if he specifically wanted me to assist him. “What am I helping you with?”

“Super cool stuff,” SpinningNote told me. “Have you ever been in the energy mill?”

“Maybe once,” I answered. The energy mill was where most (probably 99%) of our energy and crystals came from. “You want me to help you in there?”

“Sure. I don’t know what you can do, but I want you to see it.”

The black maned stallion escorted me through a fence before a cellar door that was on an angle with the ground. After opening it, he hopped inside. “Watch your step,” Spinning warned.

Entering, my entire setting transformed to shades of blue. Columns of energy stretched from the floor to the ceiling. It amazed me how stable they were, and how the energy was not lost. The walls and ground were lined with clusters of blue crystals. They did not shine as bright as the energy beams.

“How long will this energy last?” I mused.

“Oh gosh,” SpinningNote bellowed. “Probably two hundred years, maybe more. Three hundred years? A really long time.”

“It’s crazy to think these have been in Equestria for thousands of years.”

“Yep. They showed up when we needed them the most,” Spinning narrated. “The oldest known energy crystal is the Crystal Heart. Nopony knew it was an energy crystal until we discovered them.”

The Crystal Heart was a large gem that was over a thousand years old. It gifted positive energy for an entire empire. But it had some sort of magic that made it act different than any other crystal. It was able to give energy to ponies, not only products. Possibly the princess that protected the Crystal Heart long ago gave it her own magic. That could even be the reason it has stayed alive for so long.

“Isn’t this place dangerous?” I cautioned.

“Yeaah,” SpinningNote advised. “Sometimes we have to wear special suits but that's only if the energy becomes unstable. That has only happened a couple of times. Stay on the path and don’t get too close to the wells and you will be fine.”

We met up with a fluffy cream Pegasus who’s bushy brown mane reminded me of a cloud. The Pegasus faced the other way.

“FeatherTune,” Spinning said. “FeatherTune! Feather! FluffButt!”

“Huh?” He finally turned around and removed the headphones from his ears. I believed he was more spacing out than he was unable to hear from his headphones.

“Where’s EchoBeat?” Spinning requested.

“Over here.” A red Earth-pony appeared from behind an energy well. His eyes were covered by goggles that gleamed blue.

“What are we doing?” I queried, although I worried if ‘we’ was the correct word to use.

“We are collecting crystals,” EchoBeat informed.

“That’s it?” I pouted.

SpinningNote slapped my shoulder playfully. “Hey, don’t be disappointed. This place is more exciting than out in the camp.” He probably was thinking that was how it was for me, for Spinning had been in the mill several times.

“Look for some that aren’t super glowy,” The Unicorn acknowledged.

“Do we ever use these laser things?” I asked.

“We use them all the time,” EchoBeat informed. “They are our main power supply, used for charging lighting and electric devices. We need crystals for EPDs.”

I strolled on the path around the wells. I watched how the shadows shifted from all of the different light sources. Passing by, I saw a cluster of crystals by a well, but decided they were too ‘glowy’. My posture tilted as the ground dipped down. A feel pieces of metal that appeared to be Hybrid parts were scattered across the floor. I am not sure why they have not collected them yet.

I focused down where the terrain sloped into a well. Dark red stained the ground. I heard hooves come up behind me. “You guys fought a lot of Hybrids here,” I stated.

“Oh,” SpinningNote said, slightly surprised. He looked at the blood stains. “Actually, that’s where you dad lost his leg.”

Backing away, my eyes widened with horror. Spinning lifted his chin and gave an evil laugh. EchoBeat moved next to the Unicorn.

“Are you trying to traumatize him?” The Earth-pony scorned.

SpinningNote stared. He laughed again. Marching away, Echo rolled his eyes. He summoned me to follow him. He showed me a cluster of energy crystals.

FeatherTune fluttered to us and set down a bucket and tools. EchoBeat used the tools to shovel the gems out of the earth. I sat and watched. It seemed I was no use to them, I could not help at all. They had everything under control. Why did Spinning even bring me here?

Author's Note:

Okay please bare with me here with the indents... I tabbed them in Google Docs, but some of it didn't show up on here. I'll try to keep it more organized