• Published 20th May 2015
  • 313 Views, 5 Comments

Linkin Pony Recharge: Chasing the Sun - Kaciekk



The not so distant future, where Equestria has been neglected, a young Unicorn trys to understand the way the world is while maturing and trying to make his father proud.

  • ...
3
 5
 313

Chapter XXIV: The Review

Familiar pounding on the door roused me up. I expected Dad to answer it, but the cacophony continued. Finally, HyperBlitz bolted out of bed to answer. GearClank didn’t even say anything for he assumed we knew the drill.

“Alright, it’s time to get up guys,” Hyper announced loudly yet sleepily. He went into the bathroom.

JumpingJolt rubbed his eyes and looked at me. We stared for a long moment. We stopped when HyperBlitz reentered.

His eyes looked across the room. “CharmingRhythm.” He moved to the other side of my bed. Dad was still asleep. “Rhythm it’s time to get up.” Dad didn’t budge. Hyper shook the stallion. “CharmingRhythm!”

Dad groaned, pulling the sheet farther up. Hyper stripped Dad of his blanket.

“Get up dude!”

The Unicorn still stayed put, placing a foreleg over his eyes. Hyper put both hooves on his friend and thrusted him onto the floor with a thud.

“It’s time. To get. The fuck. Up.” Hyper said, leaning to the ground.

Dad’s head rose from behind the bed. He was staring at me with bloodshot eyes, his left with a huge vein that really freaks me out.

“Dad, you look horrible,” I stated.

“Thanks,” He grunted as he stood up.

“Did you even get any sleep last night,” I questioned, concerned.

“Yeah, yeah. I’m fine. I’ve gone on only few hours of sleep before,” Dad insisted.

“What time did you go to bed?”

“I don’t know. But like I said, I’m fine.” Dad began moving slowly.

“Rhythm,” Hyper started, “ When are we going to get the fuck out of here?”

“I don’t know,” Dad admitted.

“Well, we better know soon. The ponies back at home are probably worried about us. We have to get the Haythorn ponies out of here. We need a plan.”

Dad proposed, “We just need to start some sort of hysteria to distract the rogues.”

Hyper looked at Dad as if he was insane. He spoke it too, “Are you fucking crazy? That’s putting everypony in danger.”

“It’s a risk we’ll have to take.”

Hyper clenched his teeth, “Maybe you do need more sleep.”

So we went out to the rogue camp, GearClank bustling us along. I decided I could repeat my action from yesterday: Get some magic aid from Arcane, for WaterGray and myself, only faster this time. I told Dad I would go to the water filter station, for that was the only job I could really do.

“Try to find one of those Haythorn ponies,” He advised

I went to Arcane’s place but he was not there. I helped myself to the potion, hoping he would not miss it. I took a good swig of the magic aid before putting it away. I wanted the amazing feeling of using magic again. I brought the second elixir to the water filter station.

“Um, okay,” WaterGray moped.“I didn’t ask for any.”

“I can take it back,” I said, feeling offended from having done a good deed.

“No… no…” She took the bottle.

Just my luck, I saw a Haythornian. The pink stallion slowly scrubbed a filter. After grabbing a brush, I scrambled over to him.

“You’re from Haythorn, right?” I asked lowly.

“Yeah…” He raised a brow. “What do you want?”

“I want to get you out of here.”

“What?” He replied

“Shh… that’s why I came here with my Dad, to help Haythorn with the rogue problem.”

“Well, good luck,” The stallion snickered. “It’s impossible to get out of here.”

“Not unless we have a plan,” I murmured. “But when we do, how do you want us to give you a signal? What works best for you?”

“A salute? I don’t know…”

“Okay.”

“By the way, my name is EveningGaze… if you care,” He told me.

“Oh yeah, I remember. My friend told me that. And whose the other one?”

“The pony got caught with me? That’s Gale. She’s a green Pegasus with a pink mane, usually wears it in a tail.”

I nodded.

After a good half hour of sanitizing filters, I dumped clean water into the large tanks. I slipped away from the station. I just cannot take doing the same thing over and over again.

While in the middle of the path, I heard somepony call my name weakly. Dad came to me sluggishly. He seemed out of breath somehow.

“I have something for you.” He glanced around, confused.

HyperBlitz arrived at Dad’s side. He gave an annoyed sigh. His wing opened, holding something.

Dad said, “I know you’re not a big fan of beats, but it’s all I could get.”

I levitated the vegetable out of Hyper’s wing. “I’m happy to have anything edible.”

I watched my father nod slowly. “Dad, I’m worried about you.”

“Huh?”

“I don’t like you working this much just for me.”

“But Sketch, you-”

HyperBlitz interrupted, “Rhythm, he’s right. You’ve been working your ass off and they don’t give you anything in return. You had to sneak that,” He motioned to the beat in the orange aura.

Dad stuttered,“Please, I- don’t have the…. I need-”

“To back to work? No. They don’t give a fuck about you so why should you give a fuck about them?”

“I’m not, but I give a fuck about GentleSketch.” It hurt to hear my name and a curse word in the same sentence.

Hyper trying to be sympathetic, “ I know you do, but you’re pushing yourself too-”

“I always push myself. This isn’t anything new.” Dad begun to walk away.

“Hey! you aren’t going anywhere until we have a plan!” Hyper shouted.

“A plan?”

“Yeah, you know.” Hyper rolled a hoof, glancing around suspiciously.

“HyperBlitz… I don’t know when…” Dad idled.

“You don’t know when we are getting out of here?” Hyper muttered. “That’s stupid. We’ve been stuck here for days. I can’t take anymore.”

“Then why don’t you just leave?” Dad retorted, his voice raising.

“Because,” Hyper hushed (ironically). “We have to get the Haythorn ponies. That’s why we came here.”

“I don’t understand why you are getting on me. Why don’t you come up with a fucking plan? It seems like you have more time than me,” Dad growled.

“You usually initiate the plans.”

“Gosh, why are you so dependent on me?”

“You make the good ideas. You make the plans,” Hyper insisted.

“I made a plan. You said it was fucking stupid,” Dad fought.

“Because it was stupid.”

“Can you two please stop,” I begged.

HyperBlitz snapped back to reality. He breathed, “Don’t you see what this place is doing to us?” Dad cocked his head. “We’re fighting, Jolt and I are fighting, you’re sleep deprived, and GentleSketch is starving. This trip has torn us apart, the opposite of what we wanted.”

Dad looked to the ground, ashamed.

“Do you see why we need to get out of here now,” Hyper stated.

Dad responded, “Yes, I know. It’s… all my fault. I shouldn’t have even made this trip. I just thought…” He gazed at me, “A trip would give GentleSketch experience with the world. But it’s been too much experience.”

Hyper placed a hoof on his friend’s shoulder. “It’s not your fault. It’s these damn rogues.” He paused. “But I think it is best we get back to doing something. We don’t want to get in trouble from doing nothing.” We dispersed from loitering.

That evening we were allowed to go to our room a little early(and by that I mean by thirty minutes). HyperBlitz was making me another cup of tea.

“I feel like my stomach is eating itself from the inside,” I complained as I curled up on the bed.

“It probably is,” Hyper said.

Dad glared at him with drowsy, dark, irritated eyes.

“What?” Hyper asked innocently.

I watched JumpingJolt put his hind hoof on a rolled up blanket.

“Does your leg still hurt?” I questioned.

“Yeah, a bit. I haven't been able to rest.”

“It seems like that was forever ago.” I referred to when he pulled his leg. I just started staring, at nothing particularly. I stared passed the space to memories that seemed so distant but so nightmare like.

“You okay?” Dad concerned.

“I…”

Knocking came from the door. Dad was about to open it but HyperBlitz was quicker. “Oh, Crow.”

“Can I come in?”

“Um…”

Crow welcomed himself and closed the door.

“What are you doing here?” Dad queried.

The dark Pegasus came to me. His wing unraveled, revealing a carrot. “It heard you need something to eat.”

I was in awe. “Thank you Crow. Why- how-?”

“I can’t just watch a kid starve.”

“Thank you,” I repeated.

I broke the carrot in two so I could eat one half tonight and the other tomorrow morning.

“Crow,” HyperBlitz begun. “Could I ask you- if I’m allowed to. Or are you going to get us in trouble if I do.”

“I ain’t gonna get y’all in trouble,” Crow promised.

“Oh, then, how did you get in this camp in the first place?”

“Well… It was my brother who suggested comin’ here. We both agreed on not wastin’ pure energy on Hybrids. We not had much access to it to begin with. An’ we both had interest in guns. We decided becomin’ ‘rogues’ would be a good idea. It was only hell to pay from there.”

“What happened? Was it GearClank?” Hyper intruded.

“Damn sure it was GearClank. He’s always had too much power, abusin’ it.”

“Have you ever tried to stand up to him?”

“My brother did. That was a bad idea.” Crow seemed remorsed.

“What happened to your brother?” Dad inputted.

Crow hesitated. “He… he ain’t with us anymore.”

“I’m sorry,” Hyper cood.

“It ain’t your fault.”

Dad tried something else. “Do you think it’s possible to get out of here? Since that’s what we want to do.”

“It wouldn’t try it. GearClank would hunt ya’ll down. An’ if don’t get ya, he’ll blame someone else.”

Dad prompted,“What if we made some planned escape? What if we made an uprising. Mass hysteria, to distract them.”

“That’s probably the best idea,” Crow answered.

“Told you,” Dad taunted HyperBlitz.

“But it be risky.”

“Told you,” Hyper mimicked Dad.

Crow ignored their childish game. “ GearClank got followers. He think I’m one of ‘em, but I’m playin’. He killed my kin and I ain’t never gonna forgive him for that.”

“I’ll get him back for you,” Hyper insisted.

“Don’t. You’d be puttin’ your life in danger.”

“It wouldn’t be the first time,” Dad said. “But Anyway. Do you think if we could actually do this plan, would you help us commence it? We all hate GearClank.”

“I- I don’t know.”

“You’re afraid of him just like the rest of them, aren’t you?” Dad put out.

“I guess ya can call me a ScaredCrow just like they all used to call me.”

“What do you mean?” I asked.

“Ya see, my full name is ScareCrow, but they’d be makin’ fun of me callin’ me ScaredCrow. So I just shortened my name to ‘Crow’.”

“All bullying needs to stop,” Hyper charged. “Including GearClank, he’s gone too far.”

Dad directed to Crow, “Are there any more ponies hate him as much as we do?”

“Plenty.”

“Do you think you can get them with the plan? Have them work together to stop GearClank.”

“I think I can go ‘round camp and talk to some,” offered Crow.

“If you could do that for us, that would be awesome.Just don’t get caught.”

“Gotchya.”

“We just need to signal to the Haythorn ponies when we leave,” Hyper told Dad.

Crow had already left. I liked Crow, but I didn’t like his grammar. I knew he most likely meant the best with his words, and that’s what counts.

Author's Note:

I may as well upload the chapters I have left. But it's not much. I thought I could finish this story, but I just don't have the motivation for writing anymore.