• Published 20th May 2015
  • 316 Views, 5 Comments

Linkin Pony Recharge: Chasing the Sun - Kaciekk



The not so distant future, where Equestria has been neglected, a young Unicorn trys to understand the way the world is while maturing and trying to make his father proud.

  • ...
3
 5
 316

Chapter XIV: Adventures Away From Home

Author's Note:

Since Lyrics are apparently not allowed on Fimfiction, read this chapter with the lyrics here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RvS4B_7k1_XnyR9wNh1U1l9ODr3c3t633YQdBKLQ5E8/edit?usp=sharing

Stepping into an unfamiliar landscape, I took in one thing that was familiar: dull colors. The sky was dull and the terrain was dull. It was all so… boring. I saw a few plants here and there but no colors screamed brightly. I wonder how plants live in this world, but I reckon they have found a way such as ponies have. I’d likely believe they are not edible.

The map levitating, Dad still studied it. I peered at our mode of transportation. “Do you think someone is going to take the train?"

"Eh, I doubt it," Dad retorted. "It's not like anyone is around here."

"Unless Hybrids take it," HyperBlitz put in.

"Hmm. I don't think Hybrids would take it. I'm sure they know the track is out, so why would they come here? I know the last time we left the train, nobody bothered it. We're in the middle of nowhere."

Dad folded the map and tucked it into a pocket of his bag. "If we keep going north-east, but more east than north, we should get there."

"Alright. You lead the way," Hyper allowed.

I sequenced behind them while staying focused on the train. Scanning back at my companions, I realized I was falling short. I made a quick sprint to catch up.

It had been a while since I had lost sight of the train. My legs already ached. I wished I had taken longer walks around the camp before coming on this trip. I lagged several tail lengths behind. Dad occasionally peeked to see if I was still in sight.

I desired time to pass faster. Dad told me that my legs would reach a certain amount of paint that it would no longer increase. I do not think I was at that stage just yet.

“Dad,” I whined. “How long have we been walking?”

He glimpsed at his watch. “Over an hour?”

“Can we take a break?”

Dad halted and glared at me. “You want to stop already?” There was something in his tone that expressed he really was not upset with me, like he knew I would ask that.

“C’mon!” JumpingJolt encouraged. “We have just started!”

“Easy for you to say. You’re an Earth-pony.”

HyperBlitz approached me. “You’ll be fine. How about a song to pass the time? what do you say, Rhythm?”

“Sure. Depends what song got me. I may have forgot some lyrics.” Dad replied.

HyperBlitz cleared his throat and hummed to find the right note before starting.

Jolt ran forward and skipped around as his father sang.



The musical stallion looked to my father. “You going to rap?”

“I can’t remember all the lyrics.”

“You serious?” Hyper demanded. “Come on, you gotta have them somewhere in that big brain of yours.” Hovering, the Pegasus held and bobbed Dad’s head around with his hooves.

Dad shook his head free. “Hey! Give me a break! It’s been a while.”

Hyper fell to his hooves. “Okay. Okay.”

Another hour passed and we eventually sat down for a break. We at some of our food.

“We need to schedule when we eat,” Dad considered aloud. “It’s better if we eat a little bit at at time.”

“Several snacks, not a couple meals,” HyperBlitz agreed.

“We don’t want to eat right before going to bed because that is wasted energy,” said Dad.

I drowned out whatever the rest of their conversation was. Now done with my ‘snack’, I alternated between rubbing my hindlegs and arms.

I sensed a wing wrap around my back as Hyper plopped down next to me. “Hey, how are you going?”

“I’m sore,” I complained.

“Yeah, you’ll be like that for a while. But hey- I got something for you.” He pulled his bags over and dug in one. He brought out some container. By pushing down on one side of the lid, he popped it open.

“What’s that?” I asked.

“Pain killers. We don’t use them that often, but I decided they would help with your soreness. We don’t want you to be slowed down by pain.”

“You brought these just for me?”

“Yep. I know you’re not used to walking this much. Here take one.”

I held out a hoof when he tipped the bottle over. I swallowed the pill with a swig of water. Something felt wrong taking it, but I did not know what.

Dad paced over to us. “You almost ready?”

“No… I’m still sore.”

“Ah, okay.” Dad noted.

“I want to draw,” I thought aloud.

“I’ll draw with you.” Dad perched on my right side. He levitated out a sketchpad much smaller than mine.

“So what should we draw?”

"I dunno." No matter what it was, I knew my father's artwork would excell mine. Even though my talent is drawing, it was the talent Dad had always wanted shown as a cutiemark when he was a colt. He has been practicing drawing for years. And of course my art was no match to art done with magic.

We had been on the move again for some time. I lost sense of time and could not tell if it had been an hour or more. We headed to a small, abandoned town. It was scary to see no ponies habiting the houses.

“Do you think we should look through these houses? We can scavenge some stuff,” HyperBlitz proposed.

“If you have room in your bags,” Dad retorted.

“Yeah, I think so. I’ll just like to look anyway. Come on, GentleSketch!”

“Huh?”

Immediately I accompanied the yellow pony. He arrived at a wood door. It would not budge. “Step back,” HyperBlitz warned.

He swung up his EPD covered hoof and bashed it against the door. He copied this several times. The wood cracked and the door pushed open.

We entered warily. The smell of mold and dust filled my nose. I felt like I had to sneeze but I could not( that is one of my least favorite feelings). I kept up the rear of the stallion. Dad and JumpingJolt must have gone somewhere else to explore for I did not see them with us.

HyperBlitz looked in highs and lows. He eyed every shelf and opened every cupboard. Peering into a cabinet in the kitchen, he muttered, “nothing.” I saw some things on the shelves, but Hyper found them useless.

We retraced our steps until we stumbled upon a bathroom. It was much darker since the window was small and tinted.

“Oh, yes,” Hyper chimed after opening a mirror above the sink. “Toothpaste! that’s useful.” He checked the cupboard below the sink. “And soap!”

“So these are the things you look for?”

“Yep. This stuff is actually pretty expensive.” He placed them in his bags. “Now let’s get out of here before I get a headache.” I couldn’t agree more.

We collected outside. HyperBlitz reported his treasure.

Dad presented a small, plastic egg-shaped thing. “I found this little container. It sounds like there’s something inside, but I can’t open it.” It was something Hyper would overlook but Dad was more thoughtful and curious.

JumpingJolt trotted down the street and I tagged. He headed right while I stayed straight, towards and inactive fountain. I head hooves land on a roof, which I noted was HyperBlitz.

“I can’t believe things are this bad.” I noticed the horrible conditions including broken windows and boarded up doors. “How could have this happen in so little time?”

Hyper informed, “Actually, things got bad way before Hybrids showed up.”

“Especially in small communities like this,” Dad added from behind.

“Oh cool!” JumpingJolt exclaimed. “Hey guys! I found a skeleton!”

Just at that, I focused to see the remain of a pony on the ground. “What the hell!?” I shouted, fear striking through me.

Timidly, I looked at Dad. “I- I’m sorry I said that.”

He shook his head. “It’s okay. I would have too.”

The long gone pony was off-white with a slightly yellow horn. I wondered if that was because of different matter or if the Unicorn had been yellow.

“How do you think they died?” Jolt mused.

Hyper jumped down from the shop roof. “It looks like they have a cracked horn and broken ribs.”

“Definitely not a peaceful death,” Dad mourned.

“Can we bury them?” I pled. “I can’t stand seeing them out like this.”

“That would probably be good,” Dad stated. “We may not know who they were, but we can still give them the right respect.”

“I’ll see if I can find some tools so we can make a grave.” HyperBlitz announced.

“Find something to open this container!” Dad called, holding his object.

“Whatever!” Hyper flew away.

Still disgusted by the sight of the skeleton, I spun back to the old water fountain. It was twice my height and made of marble. I noted the statue at the top of three ponies dancing around an orb: Earth-pony, Unicorn and Pegasus respectively. Above the orb were two Alicorns, replicating the Equestrian flag.

“Do you remember the names of those two Alicorns?” Dad tested.

“Um… Princess Luna and Princess Celestia?”

“Yep,” Dad confirmed.

My mind brought back memories of when I was a little colt. My mother would tell me many stories of these royal sisters. They ruled Equestria and brought the people of the land protection and peace. What ever happened to that?

“Are they still alive?” I questioned.

“It’s possible. Alicorns are very powerful and can live for a long time.But us normal ponies cannot.” His eyes gestured to the skeleton Jolt was still admiring.

“I’m going to help Hyper find some tools. ‘Kay?”

“That’s fine.” I nodded.

I felt better after the deed was done. That pony must have been there for so long, it was time they were put to a proper place. We continued our venture after.

“CharmingRhythm, I think we should quit walking for today,” HyperBlitz suggested. “It’ll be dark soon. Once we get out of this town, we won’t have anywhere to stay.”

“You make a good point,” Dad took his friend’s advice. “We can find a place to stay. It’s been a long day, hasn’t it.” Dad acknowledged me. “The earlier we go to bed, the earlier we can get up and the sooner we get to Haythorn.”

So we located a place to stay. It smelled like mold but not as horrible as the house earlier. We opened the windows to vent air. Dad set down his blanket and used the bag as a pillow. As a student, I did the same.

Using a knife he found, Dad sawed at the plastic container. I watched as the knife telekinetically swayed to and fro. The container was at last broken through by the knife and dad cracked it open. What fell out was a metal chain with a heart shaped charm.

“It’s a necklace.” Dad said.

“We can sell it,” HyperBlitz brought up.

“I don’t know…”

“Or you can give it to HeartFelt. It’s is a heart.”

Dad glowered, and threw the necklace at the Pegasus. “I had enough of your puns for one day!” (Of course he wasn’t really angry.)

I was almost sure Hyper’s last pun was yesterday. It had been a long day.

All of my bags having been taken off me, I felt free. I curled up on the blanket. I tried to search for a better position.

“I know it’s no bed,” Dad addressed. “I promise you’ll fall asleep at some point.”

“It’s not like it’s much different. My bed’s as hard as a rock.” I mumbled.

“Heh, yeah. Well, good night GentleSketch.”

“Good night, Dad.”