• Published 27th Dec 2014
  • 2,741 Views, 89 Comments

The Cycle - kudzuhaiku



A most unusual foal, cursed by the changing moon, is taken into Luna's care. But is Luna ready to look after a newborn foal?

  • ...
12
 89
 2,741

Chapter 1

“Your Majesty, Princess Luna of Equestria… we are glad that you could come and deal with this in pony. The magical curiousity is just this way if you would please follow me through this door,” the doctor, an earth pony, said in a warm welcoming voice that went cold when he said ‘magical curiousity’ and then became warm again.

Turning to look at her loyal lunar pegasus guards, Princess Luna gave a nod to them and then turned around to look at the doctor once more, feeling perturbed about the words ‘magical curiousity’ and the way they were spoken. She knew very little about why she was here in Trottingham, other than it was something related to curious moon magic.

“I trust your oceanic flight was pleasurable?” a pegasus nurse asked in a friendly voice. “I have family in Equestria. They gave birth to a unicorn and didn’t want to give him up.”

“My flight was fine, thank you,” Princess Luna said, controlling her temper before it became a problem. She knew all too well how they treated unicorns here. “Show me the foal,” she commanded as she held her head high.

“This way, if you please,” the doctor replied as he stepped aside from the door to allow Princess Luna to pass. He smiled nervously as the night blue alicorn stepped through the door, and then he followed after her.

“Is this he?” Princess Luna asked as she peered down into a small cradle. All that was visible was the end of a grey muzzle. She lowered her head. “He does not seem to be so terrifying,” she stated.

“The foal was born to a unicorn mother. She had a dalliance with a lunar pegasus. After a great many complications, we had to surgically remove the foal from the mother. He was very large, almost the size of a yearling, and she was very small and slight. She died during the operation,” the earth pony doctor explained in an emotionless voice that was nearly a monotone.

“Lunar pegasi do tend to be quite large,” Luna said, her voice a little sad from hearing the news. She continued to peer down at the foal buried in blankets and heard it gurgle. Glaring at the doctor, Luna’s nostrils flared. “Perhaps a unicorn doctor with fine magical precision might have saved her during surgery. Fools.”

Carefully ignoring Luna’s snide remark, the doctor cleared his throat and then looked at Luna. “We thought we would have the military raise it in one of their project barracks. Lunar pegasi are good for fighting. We planned to give it a bright future. But then we noticed the change,” the doctor said in a low strained voice that held a tinge of fear. “Pull away the blankets and you will see.”

Her horn igniting and blazing blue with her magic, Princess Luna carefully pulled the blanket away from the colt in the cradle. She hissed in shock, pulling her head back in surprise. “A lunar alicorn?” Princess Luna questioned in a voice thick with disbelief.

“No… we don’t think so,” the earth pony doctor replied as he shook his head. “He was born as a lunar pegasus, no doubt about that. He was born a very dark grey, almost black. As the days have passed though, he has become lighter in colour… we noticed his wings were shrinking… and then we noticed the growth on his forehead. We noticed he was getting smaller and losing weight. He is changing into a unicorn. We do not know why. Which is why we sent an urgent message to you. We ask that you take him. He frightens the staff… he is-”

“Not wanted?” Princess Luna interrupted angrily. “Still afraid of unicorns? Still keeping them drugged? Still keeping them as servants to labour for the greater good? Does this one frighten you?”

“Majesty please… I want no part in a discussion of politics. I’m a doctor. I genuinely wanted what is best for this foal. As a unicorn, he would have no good future here in Trottingham,” the doctor replied in a pleading voice.

Feeling extremely agitated, Princess Luna looked down at the foal that was looking up at her. She could feel his shadow essence; it was still quite strong. A short nubbin of horn protruded from his forehead. Upon closer inspection, the wings were in fact small, almost stunted looking. A tuft of shocking electric blue mane rose up from between the two tufted ears and Luna could see two little fangs. “Do tell me, was he born on a full moon?” Luna questioned.

“Yes. Yes he was Princess Luna,” the doctor replied as he stepped away from Luna and into the corner of the room to watch the alicorn continue to inspect the foal.

Lowering her head, her snoot inches from the foal, Luna could smell milk breath and the scent of newborn foal. She saw the colt’s legs kicking and the little leathery wings fluttered at its sides. She dropped her head further and bumped her snoot against the foal’s tiny barrel, being oh so careful not to hit the spot where part of the umbilical cord still protruded.

When Luna touched him, the colt sneezed mightily against the side of of Luna’s face.

“You sneezed on me!” Luna said in an accusing tone as she jerked her head upwards.

“Foals sneeze some-”

“Silence,” Princess Luna commanded, interrupting the doctor as she lowered her head. Her eyes narrowing, she came snoot to snoot with the almost yearling sized colt. “You are a most curious creature,” she crooned in a soft voice. “Would you like to come home with me?”

“So you will take him?” the doctor inquired in a nervous raspy voice.

“He sneezed upon my royal body. I have claimed him for this offense,” Princess Luna said as she reached out one wing and touched the foal, moving her primaries over the his ribs. The night princess smiled a faint almost imperceptible smile, the corners of her lips turning upwards in a manner that only the most observant of pegasi might notice. “You will soon regret what you have done.”

The foal burbled in protest and tried to squirm away from the tickling touch of Luna’s wing, his own tiny wings flapping and his legs kicking clumsily in the air, his forelegs brushing up against Luna’s cheek. Again, the foal sneezed.

“Twice!” Princess Luna shouted as she lifted her head away. “Knave!”

Standing in the corner, the doctor cleared his throat.

Using her magic, Princess Luna lifted the foal to wrap him in blankets, carefully swaddling him after making sure his wings were securely tucked to his sides, all the while crooning some wordless lullaby to the foal which caused him to close his eyes and fall asleep almost immediately.

Turning, Princess Luna stared at the doctor. “I will require nourishment for him. At least until I can make it home. I take it I am free to leave with him and face no complications?”

“We can provide you with bottles of formula… and yes, he is yours. The Crown has sent word, he is yours to keep. Perhaps you can unravel the mystery of why he is changing before it is too late,” the doctor replied in a worried voice.

“Too late for what?” asked Princess Luna as she raised one eyebrow and stared at the earth pony doctor, her teal eyes glittering in the faint light of the hospital room where the foal had been kept in the dark.

“Why… becoming a unicorn of course,” the doctor answered nervously, unable to look Princess Luna in the eye as he spoke, staring down at his own front hooves instead.


Aboard the airship The Phobetor, Luna paced near the pile of cushions where the foal lay sleeping. Unable to help herself, she kept coming over to look at the colt while he lay sleeping, making sure he was covered, that he was warm, and most importantly, that he was still breathing, which was a completely irrational fear that had beset her.

Standing near the nest made for the colt, Luna looked over at Grimglammer, her lips pursed together in a thin straight line as she did so. “I feel fretful and out of sorts,” confessed Luna in a silken whisper.

“Many in your condition often have these symptoms,” Grimglammer replied in a soft voice. The big lunar mare smiled a smug smile as she looked at Luna and said nothing more.

“Medical doctors should not say the word ‘condition’ and then go silent,” Luna hissed in annoyance as she circled around the cushion pile.

“Oh it is a dreadful condition,” Grimglammer whispered, her tone faintly teasing.

“Do not jest,” Luna commanded in a harsh whisper.

“Sorry Mistress, I was out of place,” Grimglammer answered as she bowed her head.

Ceasing her circling, using her magic, Luna lifted the edge of the blanket and peered beneath, her nostrils crinkling. The alicorn’s ears pinned back against her skull as she dropped the blanket and stepped away. “He has soiled the air… and his diaper as well. The term the grey pegasus mare uses is ‘made a stinky’ I do believe,” Luna stated in a monotone that held a hint of disgust.

Clearing her throat, Grimglammer nodded. “Yes. Derpy does in fact use that term to describe a soiled diaper,” the big lunar mare replied as she sniffed. Her ears perked forward. “That is an unpleasant funk.”

“Indeed it is Grimglammer,” Luna said as she lifted the colt from his pillow pile and then carefully laid him out upon the bare floor. She gathered up everything she needed to change a diaper from a bag placed in the corner of the room. “Oh this foul miasma is abysmal,” Luna said through her nose as she tried not to breathe.

Feeling the cool air upon his suddenly naked bottom, the colt awoke. The colt began to squeal at first, then cry, and finally, he worked his way up to an ear piercing shriek, his cry the cry of an alarm siren. He screamed using his voice and the sounds of echolocation, his orange tongue lolling out of his mouth as he hollered.

Standing directly over the colt, Luna went to work trying to clean him up, trying to remove the caked on feces around his little backside, when she happened to notice something wet and quite warm trickling against her neck and cheek. She heard Grimglammer snigger and Luna growled. “Not one word Grimglammer… not one word.”

“Mistress, he is still going,” Grimglammer announced to one very frustrated alicorn.

Snarling, Luna raised her head. “It is in his tail!”

“And all over the floor as well,” Grimglammer remarked.

“These diapers… for convenience... they are anything but! Long ago we let foals remain in a paddock full of straw that we changed periodically. Helpful pegasi would use rainclouds to wash away the filth. His pelt is filthy and his tail is soiled,” Luna said in an irritated voice.

“Ah, the wonders of the modern age. Now we have modern conveniences like diapers. Isn’t it wonderful?” Grimglammer responded as she watched Luna stand there helplessly.

Lifting the colt from the floor, using her magic to make sure that nothing dripped, Luna carried the squealing foal out of the room and into the small private bathroom. She ran a little warm water into the sink, making sure that it wasn’t too hot, and then just before she plopped the foal in the sink, she reconsidered.

Turning on the shower instead, checking the water temperature to make sure the foal was unharmed, Luna allowed the streaming water to wash away the mess. Turning the foal upside down, she allowed the running water to splash upon his little soiled plot furrow.

She pulled the foal out of the shower after he was clean, wrapped him in a fluffy towel, and then allowed the water to drain out of the sink. Luna bounced him up and down carefully in her magic, trying to silence his screaming. She stepped back into the room and saw a helpful unicorn cleaning the floor with disinfectant and Grimglammer was in the corner, smiling smugly.

“He’s probably hungry,” Grimglammer suggested in a soft voice that held a hint of mirth.

Scowling, Luna shook her head. “I do not know that I like foal formula. It seems wrong somehow,” Luna grumbled as she pulled out a bottle from the sack. The bottle was cold, well chilled, the formula preserved. Igniting her horn, Luna warmed the bottle and gave it a shake.

Still wrapped in a towel, Luna laid the colt down upon the floor and then stuck the bottle into his shrieking maw. For a moment, the shrieking ceased and the foal became silent. Leaning her head down low, Luna smiled at the colt and made sucking motions with her lips, hoping he would suckle upon the bottle. After one very confused moment, the colt turned his head away from the bottle, kicking with his front legs as he did so, and then sprayed out the mouthful of formula upon Luna, leaving her with a dripping face covered in warm formula.

“I must say little one… I find your attempts to endear yourself to me quite enchanting,” Luna remarked in deadpan, one ear twitching as she spoke. She spat away the formula upon her lips and made a disgusted face. “This is wretched. No wonder he does not want it.”

“Perhaps a wetnurse is in order,” Grimglammer suggested in a low amused sounding voice. “Shall I put out word for one when we return to Canterlot?”

“Canterlot is too far away. We should be nearing the Shetlands. We shall make a stop forthwith and find a wetnurse,” Luna replied as she shook formula from her face.

Author's Note:

This will probably be between five and ten chapters.

I hope it is enjoyable.

Perhaps I need some tiapers to keep away the dypos.