• Published 30th Dec 2014
  • 2,297 Views, 26 Comments

The Final Wars of Equestria - Final fantasy forever



Twilight has been conflicted about being a princess while her friends support it she worries about the responsibility it brings. In honor of her Princess Celetsia makes a new Holiday dedicated to friendship unaware of the danger growing.

  • ...
15
 26
 2,297

Our Desperate hour

Author's Note:

Chapter 3: Everyone now’s where war really starts, not these little skirmishes from before; now war rises in every nation, in every continent, and the union marches on.

PS for those of you curious the marching song used is called Polyushka Polye

The Final Wars of Equestria
Ch 3 Our Desperate Hour




Journal entry number 5; official journal of Princess Twilight of the Equestrian army; return to her if found.
It has been 3 months since the war began and the Crystal Empire was lost. The Union conquered and annexed all of eastern Equestria. Casimir’s magitech weapons were a vital boost in the war. Until they were introduced the Union soldiers would win a battle almost without casualty. Our soldiers were able to hold their own but they were unfamiliar with these weapons and the Union was already well trained. After an invasion of Canterlot was repelled Casimir introduced his “containment plan”. This idea was to cut off the Union from the rest of Equestria. It worked at first; the magitech barrier devices divided Equestria and cut off the Union. It was terrible leaving those cities to the mercy of the Union and a lot of ponies called the project the M-tech curtain. It seemed as though we we’d solved the problem with this; the only forces Peryite could mobilize and make use of was his new navy. While he had good technology in this department his soldiers never got training for naval combat due to the initial lack of ships and bodies of water in the heart of the UGER. When ships began threatening Equestrian land our allies sent their navy to contain them and stop any further ship building. This succeeded as well but it was seen as the first, last and only straw of tolerance Peryite had for foreign involvement in his conflict. On that day Peryite declared war on the world (at least all who opposed him). His allies were quick to anger at this. The weapons Peryite had sent them were put to use as they began to take control of their countries or even continents.
As the conflict escalated and the world grew desperate the nations under attack or those who feared the Union or their heretical system of regulated enterprise formed a military alliance later named the United Equestrian Alliance. They, like the Union, used their founder’s cutie mark as a flag. Casimir had his work cut out for him as the demand for magitech weapons quintupled. He eventually built a secret base in every continent’s bastion of Alliance occupation. He never told the location of these bases; his excuse was that if the alliance fell he would not want the fate of his staff to be sealed. It seemed noble but I fear there is something more sinister behind it. Nevertheless weapon production increased smoothly. Peryite however was not about to lose this arms race. He manufactured more lethal weapons and new creative ones. He developed the TIC, a four-legged arachnid like machine. It was mounted with machine guns and its legs were armed with retractable blades. This idea sparked the blade gauntlet, a set of hoof ware with a retractable blade. As of today I am to be on a trip to a foreign land, Saddle Arabia. They are not allies but are feeling the hoof of oppression of the Union and we feel this will let us form good relations with them…



As Twilight finished writing the last words of her journal entry a guard entered her quarters. “Your highness, the air convoy is ready.”

“Very well.” Twilight gathered what things she felt necessary that weren’t packed already. She gathered her element as well as the potion from their “friend”. As she packed Twilight looked at herself in a mirror. She had never seen herself like this -- she looked so glum. She made her way to the zeppelin and barge fleet. “Remind me again why we need so many ships,” she asked her brother.

“The UGER have had a naval and air blockade around Saddle Arabia. They have a naval base but there’s no such thing as a flying fortress; these ships should be enough to break through.”

Twilight sighed, “Let’s go.” Twilight boarded the main flagship named the Vessel of the Elements. It was a rather large zeppelin flying the Alliance flag.

When she reached the cockpit her friends were there to greet her. “Howdy Twilight,” Applejack said.

“Hi girls. I hope you’re all ready to get this going.”

“You bet,” Pinkie Pie said enthusiastically. Twilight set the ship’s coordinates and they were off.





King Peryite sat alone in the royal bedchambers of the crystal palace enjoying his breakfast. He knew there was a war going on but felt delighted that for the time being it was not his conflict. He of course could do nothing and instead focused on new war machines and more importantly keeping the populace healthy and happy. Over the past 3 months the living conditions of the crystal ponies had improved dramatically, to the point where their lives were almost completely back to normal and everypony smiled once more. They were still a bit skeptical about the Union but were trusting and felt they were treated fairly. The Union occupying forces had become known with the populace and some were even befriended. The crystal foals played in the fields, the local inn and pub echoed with conversations of friends and lovers and due to the control of 3 harbors and a small trade agreement with the Alliance shipload after shipload of food was brought in for both the soldiers and citizens. The market opened, much to the joy of the crystal ponies. All were now employed and used their money for enjoyment only. Peryite was relieved to see that all he had done was not in vain. He gained the trust of his workforce; they did his word without question but they did Trotsky’s with pleasure. Trotsky had become a living symbol to them. He personally checked each family’s living conditions to this day and gave them no less than what he would accept for himself. He was popular amongst both the soldiers and citizens; it would have worried Peryite if he didn’t know that Trotsky was as loyal as the element of loyalty to him. As he finished the last bit of bacon off his plate Trotsky entered.

“Greetings your highness, is all well this morning.”

“Yes indeed Trotsky, and how about you?” He got no response from Trotsky who stared down at Peryite’s breakfast plate. “Ahem,” Peryite said.

“Oh, sorry sir, it’s just I’m still not use to a pony who eats well… meat.”

“Ah yes, well you know I don’t have much taste for hay since I’m a lampire and a carnivorous taste has set in.”

“It’s quite alright my liege, but now that I remember I came here to tell you that our air force scouts have reported that a large air fleet is heading towards Saddle Arabia.”

“Hmm, I assume that they want to break through. Is the invasion force there capable?”

“Yes sir, but should the Equestrians break through…”

He was cut off by Peryite. “Then our ground forces should be capable of cleaning up the remnant forces.”

“You might want to reconsider, sir,” Trotsky protested. “Princess Twilight is on board the main flagship.”

This caught Peryite’s attention. “Are you certain of this?”

“Yes sir.”

“Hmm…” Peryite thought aloud. “This changes a few things. Send word to the dragons -- have them crush or burn any ships that get in the way except the main flagship. I want our forces to board that ship and take the elements captive.”

“Are you sure sir?”

“Yes.”

“Very well, I’ll send word to our forces.” With that Trotsky left to compose his message.




Twilight and friends sat in comfort as the zeppelin cruised through the sky. The ship was exponentially fast as it ran on Casimir’s magitech cold fusion. “This is beautiful,” Pinkie said enthusiastically. “I’ve never seen the sky like this before.”

“This is boring,” Rainbow exclaimed. “It’s terrible being on something that flies when I can just fly myself.”

“If you want some fresh air go get some,” Twilight said, “just don’t fall behind.”

“Are you kidding?” Rainbow mocked. “I’ll see you at Saddle Arabia.”

“You think that was wise?” Applejack asked?

“I’m sure she’ll be fine,” Twilight replied. Rainbow wasted no time leaving the confines of the cockpit for the open space of the sky. She flew off into the skies feeling more and more invigorated as she gained speed. As she flew she noticed there was some lightning in the nimbuses around.

“The beginnings of a storm,” she thought to herself. She dismissed her train of thought and flew on. After about 13 minutes she felt pleased and was ready to return to the Vessel of the Elements. Just as she was about to head back she heard gunshots coming from behind a cloud. She rushed into it just in time to see Union soldiers kill the last of some Alliance troops on a barge. Seconds later a dragon slammed down on another barge crushing it instantly. Any soldiers who survived the collision fell to their death. Rainbow froze but was soon fleeing as several Pegasi warriors charged at her. They grabbed her hooves and brought her to their barge. She struggled and squirmed but to no avail. As the barge began its return to the Union zeppelin she began to think of any way to escape. She came with an idea; it was based on strength and luck but it was her only chance. She used all her strength to try to pull her hooves out of the grip of the Union soldiers. She got partly loose but couldn’t get free; they were determined not to let go (just what she had hoped for). She then stopped resisting and used all her strength in reverse. With her strength plus that of the Union soldiers her hooves slammed into both their heads. They wailed in pain at the massive blow and covered their heads with their newly freed hooves. Rainbow wasted no time recovering. She leaped off the barge and then spread her wings to take flight.

Back on the barge the troops had finished recovering from the blow to their heads. “Kill the bitch,” the first one shouted.

“But King Peryite said we needed to capture them alive,” the other protested.

“Does it look like I give a flying feather? Shoot her out of the sky.” The two began firing at Rainbow but she had enough distance and speed to evade the bullets.

After about 2 minutes she reached the Vessel of the Elements. “Girls, girls,” Rainbow huffed.

“What’s wrong Dashy?” Pinkie asked, concerned.

She and the rest were answered by a Union zeppelin announcement system. “Attention Equestrian pig dogs, you are in airspace of benevolent Equestrian republics. Surrender your freedom and vessels and you will not be harmed; refuse and we will send you down in flames to the Sodom from whence you came.”

“Twilight, I think they mean to board us,” Rarity exclaimed, quite concerned.

Twilight turned to Shining Armor. “Well, what do you make of it?”

“Our soldiers’ stand behind you we will fight by you,” he said with a smile.

“Well then, let’s give them a thrashing,” Twilight replied. She gave the order over the announcement system to attack. The barges were deployed but the Union dragons were there to crush and eat any who opposed them. They began to burn the zeppelins until only 3 other than the main flagship remained. The Equestrian troops’ magitech weapons had enough strength to rip through the dragons’ thick hides. They had however done a devastating blow to their numbers. At this the Union zeppelins and barges began trying to besiege the flagship. The Alliance soldiers fought and repelled wave after wave but more Union troops just kept coming. “There has to be a way to stop those zeppelins,” Twilight wailed in frustration.

As they fought on Rainbow witnessed a union barge get a little too close to a nimbus cloud. The cloud discharged its lightning into the barge setting it ablaze; seconds later it exploded. “Twilight,” Rainbow shouted, “if I can get enough of these clouds I can use the lightning to knock down the zeppelins.”

“Great idea, Dash,” Twilight responded, “get to it.”

“Alright, I just need somepony to keep these barges and Pegasi warriors of my flank.” Shining Armor gathered some of what was left of his Pegasi troops and assigned them to guard Rainbow.

As they flew off Twilight asked, “Will we have enough troops to defend the flagship?”

“They obviously don’t want to kill us. Otherwise they would have just destroyed the engines. They think they have the strength to take us captive.”

Rainbow rushed around collecting the charged clouds. The zeppelins noticed this and immediately sent their forces to subdue her. The guards had their work cut out for them. Eventually they were reinforced with barges from the armada. After about 5 minutes Rainbow had collected a rather large 150-meter cloud and brought it over near to the zeppelin bombarding the main with troops and TICS. She began pounding on the cloud cluster until it released a bolt of lightening. The electricity shot straight down into the ships engine core. Flames began dancing and consuming the fabric of the zeppelin. It wailed in pain sounding its evacuation alarms. Troops began pouring out either flying or on barges. The Alliance soldiers cheered as the zeppelin began its decent to the ground. The cloud still had some charge; Rainbow figured it would have 2 more bolts left. She quickly moved the cluster to the newly approaching airship. She repeated the process sending the ship and what crew couldn’t escape down below. This was the last straw for the Union air force; they began throwing all their ships at them but not for an attempt to capture. The gun ships and barges began targeting the engines while other ships began bombarding the docking bays and platform of the Alliance flagship.

“We warned you,” the final zeppelin and now Union flagship sounded, “and now you will burn. For the Union my comrades, for the populace, for Equestria!!!” Twilight looked at the chaos around her as barge after barge and troop after troop were shot out of the sky. She looked at the hopeless position they were in. She shut her eyes waiting for her final moments but then opened them in shock when she heard a shriek followed by several dozen more.

A battalion of Gryphons bearing Alliance armor charged into the battle cleaning up the gun ships and Pegasi warriors. One in officer’s armor boarded the flagship and greeted Twilight. “Greetings highness! I see we came in your desperate hour.”

“Indeed,” Twilight replied. “How did you know we were here?”

“I’ll be honest with you, we really aren’t sure. We received a transmition that you were in need of assistance but it wasn’t an army one or from Light Speed research. The link was also secure so we couldn’t track it. Anyway we’re here now and will see you safely to Saddle Arabia.” As the newly arrived Gryphon forces repelled the Union ships Rainbow used the last charge of the cluster on the Union flagship. Seconds later it began its journey to join the other two on the ground. With this final thrust the remnants of the Union forces either surrendered or fled.

“Whew,” Rainbow breathed a sigh a relief as she returned to the Vessel of the Elements. “That was awesome,” Rainbow wailed in joy and awe.

“You did good, Dash,” Twilight said.

“Well now that the threat has been taken care of we should treat our wounded and check our casualties,” the Gryphon said.

“As well as figure out what we should do with these prisoners,” Shining Armor added. The two then made their way to complete their tasks leaving the six of them alone.

“Well girls, we survived” Twilight said somewhat enthusiastically.

“Um, Twilight,” Pinkie said, somewhat concerned, “I don’t think the ship did.”

“What do you mean?” Applejack asked.

“Look,” Pinkie pointed off the side, “we’re heading for the ground.”

“WHAT?” the five of them shouted. Sure enough the ship was approaching the ground at a slow but still alarming rate. During the heat of battle the number of engines destroyed had gone unnoticed and the ship had begun its decent.

Twilight rushed to the cockpit and turned on the announcement system. “Attention all crew, the ship is going down, I repeat, the Vessel of the Elements is losing altitude.” The crew began evacuating.

As Twilight watched Shining Armor and the Gryphon commander rushed in. “Twilight, what happened?” Shining Armor shouted.

“We’re going down,” she replied, “we need to get off this thing.”

“No wait,” the Gryphon protested. “The ship isn’t going anywhere near terminal velocity. We might have a chance to save it.”

“How?” Twilight wailed.

“If we all hold it up together we might be able to slow its descent enough to avoid collateral damage but we need to work now.”

Twilight called all the crew back to save the ship. Everypony with wings or a barge was helping to hold up the ship; even some of the Union troops were aiding in the cause. After about 3 minutes that felt like an eternity the ship had slowed down tremendously and they were mere meters from the surface. Twilight gave the command to release the ship. They all let go and the ship began its descent to the ground once more. It hit the ground hard but it was still in one piece. Twilight breathed a sigh of relief. “Well, what now?” she asked the Gryphon.

“We get the engines fixed.”

“How long will that take,” Applejack asked?

“Depends, but I’d say we’ll be here overnight.”



Twilight and friends had gone to their quarters. It was late in the night and Twilight felt she needed some fresh air. She left for outside and checked up on the ships repairs. Most of the crew had gone to sleep but she could hear somepony working down in the engine room. She climbed down and looked for an engineer to ask about the results. She looked around for 2 minutes but could find nopony. She turned around to leave but as she did she came face to face with a Union soldier. She screamed and fell back in fear.

“Easy now highness,” the young soldier replied lending a hoof to help her off the floor.

As Twilight rose she asked, “What are you doing down here?”

“I could ask the same of you,” he responded. “The Engine room is neither the safest place on a ship nor a place popular for touring.”

“I came down here for a report on the ship’s repair progress.”

“It’s going well,” he responded. “We will have it ready for take off by day’s first light.”

“Good and…” she paused, “what do you mean we are you working on this with the crew?”

“Half correct, highness. I am authorized to work on this. I was an engineer before my service as a soldier. And second, no, I’m working on this alone. Your puny crew got tired and returned to their cots. I suppose it is rude to talk behind their backs but I will not hide my opinion.”

“You definitely work hard,” Twilight said.

“We are the workers, Twilight. We held our lands together. Only now do we see that we were building up something that had collapsed long ago. Now we are architects of the new world order.

Twilight paused, “Why?

“Why?” he responded.

“Why do you side with Peryite?”

“Because he understands us.”

“How so? I thought you hated royalty.”

“Not royalty, tyrants. We don’t even get a say in the world we build. Those on the throne boast about how ‘they’ made their nations strong but tell me who builds the palaces they live in? Who paves their streets with gold when ‘they’ can’t even feed them? Who enforces their armies to keep ‘them’ on the throne? And while they eat like pigs, who is left with scraps from them, eating the same slop fed to the farmers’ animals. They say that they reward those who are strong and able and that we will get our slice of the pie. Yet I work hard just putting food on the table and watching as my employers eat every last slice of the pie and throwing away the crumbs before washing it down with brandy. That was until he came along. King Peryite, or should I say Lenin Fitzroy, came to us giving us food and warmth at the mere cost of 15 minutes of our time. He told that our shackles were held together by the oppression of our royals; that they were keeping us like this so we were so hungry we couldn’t even think for ourselves. He fed us and told we need only revolt and the sweat of our brow would grow the fruits of our labor and for once it wouldn’t be swiped by royals, that at long last we would reap the rewards we had earned. We would take the fruits of our labor and once again build a finical system of our own benefiting us, not a king or princess, and then we’d all have a slice of that pie.

“We didn’t respond at first, we were all too afraid, but he kept sending us food even after 7 months. When we asked why he said it was because we were family in our great nation, divided only by our failure to see it. At this we had seen, heard, and had enough. We took down our king and put his head on the pike. I don’t blame you; perhaps you would have made a good Princess and even Celestia wasn’t evil, she was just an obstacle, much like you. I know what you think you’re doing is right; just remember, so do we.”

Twilight took a moment to take in what he said. “Why are you helping us then?”

“Because if we don’t we will die. We are in the middle of a blazing (or right now freezing) wasteland. Our comrades have fled and left us. I don’t blame them but we have no idea where we are. Our only salvation now is you. Imagine that,” he snickered, “we are safest in the hooves of our enemies. While we are on that note, what is it you plan to do with us?”

“What do you mean?” Twilight questioned.

“I mean, we are your prisoners. When we get to civilization will you have us tried and hung or will we be forced into servitude?”

“I wasn’t really planning on those outcomes Twilight replied.”

“Then what?” he wailed.

“LOOK,” Twilight yelled back, “you think I’m some high and mighty leader ready to drop the hammer on her enemies and enact judgment? Well I’m not, damn it. I’m just some poor unfortunate soul that was placed on the throne in the time of war.”

The soldier looked her down for about 30 seconds. “If you think that you are the only pony who’s in over their head you’re wrong. I was in a terrible position, fearing for my survival before this war. And now I’m right back at square one. I have nothing to parley with, highness, my life is in your hooves. I will not beg and bow but I will ask that you show whatever mercy you can for us.”

“What would you have me do?” Twilight asked.

The young soldier looked at Twilight with a stupefied look. “You’re kidding… you’re kidding right?” There was no response. “For bucks’ sake girl, you’re the leader of Equestria and the commander of the army. You can enforce anything within your ranks.”

Twilight looked straight into the soldier’s yellow eyes. “I don’t know if I can do ANYTHING, as that would make Equestria look like a dictatorship, which would reflect badly on all of us; but if the Saddle Arabians try to give you the death sentence I’ll spare your necks from the noose.”

“Thank you, highness. I’ll repay the kindness… somehow.”

“I don’t need anything for this Twilight assured. You should get some sleep,” she advised.

“With your permission, I’d like to stay down here and work.”

“Just don’t work yourself tow much, but OK.”

“Thank you, highness.”

“Before I go I have to ask...”

“What?” the soldier replied?

“What makes you like… like that?”

“I beg your pardon highness?”

“I mean, all the Union troops have gray manes and yellow eyes. There’s no way that can come natural.”

“No, no it doesn’t. These traits come from drinking Peryite’s ichor. This was a sort of demonic baptism. It was meant for his followers back when he was worshiped more as a god; before the Union. Later it was offered to his soldiers; many, including me, took it mostly because of the various neurological poisons around the UGER. The gray manes show either the beauty or terror of complete order; and the yellow eyes are just demonic traits.”

“Is it reversible?” Twilight asked.

“Yes, after some time the effects will wear off, eventually. Probably by the end of the year.”

“I see. Is it ever a burden?”

“A burden?” the soldier asked. “I never get sick I never get poisoned and I never fear parasites. I will probably not take it a second time, though. I miss my colored mane; but enough you should get some sleep.”

“As should you,” Twilight replied.

“I will eventually.” With that the two parted ways. Twilight made her way back to quarters and slowly drifted off to sleep.




“Explain to me again how an air battalion and a dragon flying squadron failed to takedown a single Equestrian flagship. Before you even open your mouth I know that the dragons died first and you let them. I don’t criticize you for that; it would make me a hypocrite if I did. I never cared for those beasts anyway but after that your reports show that all that was left of the Equestrian fleet was the single flagship and a number of barges and gunships. You had three zeppelins left and enough gunships to overwhelm a city. So I will ask again what happened?”

“Well sir, the zeppelins were taken down by a Pegasus and…”

The lieutenant was cut off by the Commissar. “Are you telling me that one Pegasus warrior destroyed all three zeppelins?”

“No sir, well yes sir, I mean she…”

He was cut off once more. “Watch your words boy and speak clearly or there will be no use of that tongue of yours. I don’t need to remind you the Union has no need for what is useless.” The lieutenant gulped and apologized. “I don’t want your apology. Now spit it out, I’m losing my patience with you.”

“Yes sir, sorry… yes sir of course sir.”

“That’s better, now YOUR REPORT!!!”

“Yes sir; the Pegasus known better as the element of loyalty used storm clouds to shoot our ships out of the sky.”

“I see,” the Commissar replied, “but surely she didn’t do this simultaneously or repeatedly.”

“No sir she took time to recharge the clouds. However we were under direct orders from the King to capture and detain the Princess Twilight and the other elements. It was only until the second zeppelin was destroyed that we decided to simply kill all on board the flagship.”

“You went against direct orders from his highness?”

“Yes sir. It was disgraceful but we did what we saw best for the Union.”

“Very well. This won’t be looked on as treason then. You may continue.”

“Yes sir. After that we began destroying the engines and the ships docking bays. It looked as though victory was ours but then we were attacked by Gryphons.”

“Gryphon reinforcements? I see. We’ll be sure to punish the Gryphon kingdom for this. Please hold.” The Commissar dialed a number on his desk phone. “Attention, this is Commissar Petrenko contacting the commanding general in the Gryphon Kingdom. Has a clear link and feed been established?”

“Yes comrade Commissar, you are being heard loud and clear. This is General Reznov. What is the nature of your call?”

“I am issuing total warfare protocol on all regions of the Gryphon Kingdom. Burn their wheat fields, scorch the earth, raze their cities and villages and stay your blades from no soul… kill them all. All genders and all ages.”

“Yes sir, we will see it done sir.” With that the general hung up on his end of the line.

“Well, now that that’s settled.”

“Uh, sir the lieutenant protested.”

The Commissar looked at him. “Yes, what?”

“Isn’t the total warfare protocol only available if the King gives the OK?”

“Oh yes, I almost forgot.” He began to pull the Red phone out from under his desk and set it on the top. “I suppose I should use the red phone to contact him and…” He ended his sentence and pushed the phone to the ground where it shattered. “Whoops. How did that happen?” He looked at the lieutenant with dark serious eyes.

A scared look found its way onto the lieutenant’s face. “My sincerest apologies sir, forgive my clumsiness. I should not have been trusted with the red phone sir.”

The Commissar smiled at this. “Very well, you are forgiven. I suppose this will not go down on your record.”

“Thank you sir, your generosity knows no bounds sir.”

“Flattery gets you nowhere in our army, only obedience.”

“Yes sir, excellent advice sir, I thank you sir.”

“Enough of this; back to your report.”

“Yes sir. After the Gryphon attack the element of loyalty destroyed the final zeppelin.
Those of us who were left either retreated or surrendered.

“I see. So they have some of our troops captive.”

“Yes sir. I have confidence one of my closest friends has been captured. We were both in the engineering department together.”

“Hmm,” the Commissar thought to himself. “Very well then. You will be given a chance for redemption. Tomorrow you will be sent to invade and capture the Riyadh province and slay the royal family in their palace. Then you are to put their disgusting holy city to the torch and desecrate all their holy religious sites and show them that their blasphemous beliefs are false and make them heretics. And when their cities burn and our soldiers ravish their citizens we will see where their precious Shepherd is for them. Then I want you to find me that Alicorn leader of the alliance and when I scalp her… you can hold the knife.”

“Yes sir. I’ll gather the troops.” With that lieutenant left to prepare the invasion force.




The lieutenant gathered the necessary forces and organized them to march. “Alright boys, on this night we march and by this time tomorrow Saddle Arabia will be ours.”

“URA!” the soldiers cheered. “Sir, to what tune do we march this night?” a soldier asked.

“Hmm,” the Lieutenant thought. “We shall sing the tune of the nation which gave birth to our benevolent god. We sing to Uralia.”



Polyushko-polye
Polyushko shiroko polye
Yedut da po polyu gyeroi
Proshlogo vryemyeni gyeroi

Vyetyer razvyeyet
Eh, da po zelyenu polyu
Ih udalyye pyesni
Proshlogo vryemeni pyesni

Tolko ostavit
Im boyevuyu slavu
I zapylyennuyu dorogu
Vdal uhodyashuyu dorogu

Polyushko-polye
Polyushko shiroko polye
Yedut da po polyu gyeroi
Proshlogo vryemyeni gyeroi

Polyushko-polye
Vidyelo nyealo gorya
Bylo propitano krovyu
Proshlogo vryemyeni krovyu

Polyushko-polye
Polyushko shiroko polye
Yedut da po polyu gyeroi
Proshlogo vryemyeni gyeroi

Vyetyer razvyeyet
Eh, da po zelyenu polyu
Ih udalyye pyesni
Proshlogo vryemeni pyesni

Tolko ostavit
Im boyevuyu slavu
I zapylyennuyu dorogu
Vdal uhodyashuyu dorogu

Polyushko-polye
Vidyelo nyealo gorya
Bylo propitano krovyu
Proshlogo vryemyeni krovyu

Polyushko-polye
Polyushko shiroko polye





Twilight awoke in the early hours of morn. She got out of bed and gazed out onto the vast desert. She decided to check on the ship’s repairs. She made her way down to the engine room. She was about to enter the engine room when the Union soldier she had met last night came out the hatch. He looked at Twilight and spoke only one word. “Done.”

“The repairs are finished?” Twilight asked, “and…” she paused. “Did you spend all night down there?”

“No,” the soldier replied, “I went to sleep… for three hours, then went back to work. Did you sleep well highness?”

“Indeed. Speaking of which I think you should get some sleep.”

“Forgive me if I seem rude but, why do you care?”

“You’re a living being, not to mention under our watch. Whether or not you think we care for your well being is your opinion, but take care of yourself.”

“You’re much too kind, Highness, to show this care to even your enemies.”

“We’re not enemies… at least not now. You can do no harm and you’re not evil.”

“That doesn’t mean your actions are natural. No pony I know would show this mercy. You have us all under a gun… yet you choose to treat us with dignity. Not many could be the bigger pony in these situations.”

Twilight was silent. She eventually changed the subject. “I think we both should get some breakfast.”

“I’ll eat later. The ships engines might be fixed but the coolant systems are still offline and without them she’ll catch ablaze, but you go on ahead and eat the soldier insisted.” With that Twilight and the soldier parted ways once more.

Twilight thought about returning to het quarters and having breakfast in bed but then decided against it in favor of eating her meal with her friends. She galloped to the mess hall where her friends had already gathered with the same idea in mind. “Twilight,” her friends said enthusiastically.

“Morning girls,” Twilight said, rubbing the last bit of sleep from her eyes.

“I see you slept well, Sugar Cube,” Applejack remarked.

“Yeah,” Twilight replied. “It’s been better now that those nightmares are gone.”

“You haven’t had any of those dreamstride whatever’s for the past three months, have you?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“No,” Twilight answered, “not one.”

“Well that’s mighty fine to hear,” Applejack chimed in. “Come on, let’s eat.” The 7 of them sampled all that the mess hall had to offer. They served up Belgian waffles, a various assortment of grain oats, barley, and other hor-dourve. Twilight ate her food but mostly just played with it. She didn’t feel very hungry. (She was unaware that this would be the last decent meal she would have for a good long while.)

As they finished the last of their breakfast the Union engineer walked in on them. “Forgive my intrusion highness, but I thought you might like to know the ship is up and running we are ready to take flight as soon as you give the command.”

“Thank you. I appreciate the update.”

“The thanks is mine highness, may I take my leave?”

“Yes, and get something to eat.”

“Will do, highness.”

The union soldier turned to the door but as he was about to leave he was stopped by Twilight. “You can get something to eat here if you so desire.”

“The offer is kind highness, but no. I will not dine on such rich food while my brothers eat rations.” With that the union soldier left the seven of them.

“Twilight, do you know that pony?” Rarity asked.

“What? That’s crazy talk,” Rainbow retorted?

“I don’t know him well,” Twilight responded, “but… well let’s just say we came to a better understanding of one another.”

“What do you mean?” Rarity asked.

“Again,” Twilight repeated, “let’s just say we had a little chat and found we can respect each other.”

“Hmm,” Rainbow replied. “Alright; I don’t see how you can trust one of those creeps. Just don’t let your guard down if you insist on being around one of them.”

Twilight broke off topic. “Alright girls, do you think were about ready to head off?”

“Just about,” Applejack replied.

“You bet,” Pinkie Pie said with utmost enthusiasm.

“When you are, dear,” Rarity added.

“Yes,” Fluttershy said somewhat timidly.

“Ready as I’ll ever be,” Rainbow Dash chimed in.

“Let’s get going then,” Twilight said somewhat enthusiastically.

The six of them made their way to the cockpit where Shining Armor and the Gryphon officer were waiting. “I see the ship is completely repaired,” her brother said. “Ready to jet off Twili?”

“Yeah,” Twilight responded. She made her way to her seat and set the Vessel of the Elements to take off. The ship roared to life and took to the skies. It glided through the clouds much to the joy and relief of the crew. “How long do you think it will take to reach Saddle Arabia,” Twilight asked?

“Barring any further interruptions we should reach our destination before evening.”




After an eight-hour flight Saddle Arabia was in view. The capital city was beautiful. It was studded with ancient and cultural architecture. The old stone buildings were mostly tourist attractions, except for the few still in living condition. The main bulk of the civic center of the city was much more modern. Roads and skyscrapers dotted the land while carriages and carriage taxis sped along the streets and local citizens kept to their daily routine (knowing that at any moment their lives could change completely should the alliance fail to hold of the union.) “We won’t be landing,” the Gryphon said. You’ll need to take a barge down to the royal district. As the Zeppelin slowly neared the surface Twilight and friends boarded a barge and launched it to the surface. The barge slowly cruised down to the ground until it slowed to a halt. Twilight and friends disembarked from the barge, and then it slowly hovered back to the Zeppelin. The six of them gazed at the palace before them. The house of the royal family stood tall and proud. The palace consisted mostly of tile like and colored stone. Palm trees were planted around the front of the palace. The structure had an uncountable number of arches and columns. All around the circumference on its roof were several pyramids and domes with one large blue stained glass dome centered at its top.

Two guards shrouded in turbans walked up to them. “Princess Twilight Sparkle of Equestria, step forward.”

“Yes,” Twilight said, approaching the guards.

“Good. Please come with us; our king would like to meet you.” The six of them followed the guards into the palace. As they entered the atrium the six mares gazed at their surroundings. The room was white marble with various blue designs along with sapphires. A large crystal chandelier hung suspended over a sapphire mosaic. Twin staircases with pure gold railings lead up to the second floor; (second of many.) The six of them walked through corridor after corridor and staircase after staircase for about 8 floors until the guards stopped. “Beyond this door is the royal family council; our king is waiting for you to help prove his point.”

“Prove his point on what?” Twilight asked.

“Whether or not to ally with you.”

“What do you mean?” Rainbow Dash wailed. “The Union has trampled you and marches on your land and you still have to think about this?”

“We don’t want to be part of YOUR,” conflict the guards replied. We share a common enemy but this fight is our own. We’re happy ruling ourselves. We never asked to be part of the Union or the Alliance. We are proud of our own banner we need not be under the Twin Dragons of the workers nor the Sparkle Spangled Banner. We are more than happy to accept the help and the weapons; you at least have respect for us in our hesitation to make a decision. We now see that there is no neutrality in this conflict. Peryite’s union annexes any who don’t pick a side. If they resist then the Alliance comes to back them and THEN annexes them. Sometimes to the point where the city both factions were fighting for gets destroyed beyond use and an entire civil center population is left starving and homeless. The UGER, the UEA, Princess Twilight, King Peryite -- it’s all the same in my eyes.”

“Hey,” Twilight retorted, “they attacked us.”

“Yes,” the guard replied, “and when you declared war on Peryite you weren’t just speaking for Equestria, YOU WERE SPEALKING FOR THE WORLD. If this were just your conflict I would agree with you but no, this war is on everyone. You’re both fanatics thinking you’re right about what you do. Every day you bring more into your godless war caring for nopony but yourselves. You might say that you are protecting us, yet neither of you let us live our lives. If Peryite wants land he’ll take it. When his troops get too close for comfort you annex for the ‘protection’ of all. So there, that is why we hesitate; that is why we have not taken a side; that is why we do not submit to you and your Alliance.

Twilight wanted to speak but she couldn’t find the right words. The guards chuckled, “Well I don’t think you’ll be much help for our king but head on in.” The guards opened the door and took their leave. The six of them entered the council room. It was almost completely tan-ish gold. The royal council ceased their conversation and turned their gaze to the mares. A tan earth pony stallion in a turban stood and gestured for them to take his side. The six of them walked to his side. As they did they could feel the eyes of everypony in the room looking hard at them, judging them.

As they took their place by the king’s side one of the young council members (also a royal family member, or sheikh) stood up and began to speak. “These? These are the ones whom you wanted us to bend our knees and bow to? These are who are in charge of the Equestrian Alliance army? They’re so young; so inexperienced.”

“Yet they have been the only thing keeping us from being completely overwhelmed,” the king protested.

“We’ve held our own by ourselves. Their technology might have helped, quite some, but it is our soldiers who have fought these battles with our own blood.”

“And how many casualties are we at now?” the king wailed. “Our numbers dwindle by the hour; the Union’s are infinite. We are loosing land by the day. We’ve held them back for now but they unleash wave after wave of infantry and armor unto us. We can only hold out for so much longer and the Commissar is getting more and more infuriated with our resistance. Even if we were to beg for forgiveness they would cut us down and then forgive. No, enough of our troops have fallen. On this day I say we put an end to the UGER’s grip on our land.”

There was silence. The council waited on how the young stallion would respond.

“You’re putting these… these mares?”

Twilight was rather agitated at that last remark and without asking began to speak. “We will keep you and your my little ponies safe.”

“And how will you do that,” he asked? “You lost the eastern half of your land of Equestria and only hold onto the center and western segments with your little M-tech curtain.”

“Those were other times,” Twilight retorted. “We’ve made major strides since then. We can and will keep you safe.” The king, Twilight, and the council member argued awhile longer before a guard interrupted them.

“What is the meaning of this?” the king wailed.

“Sire, the union is marching on Riyadh.” The council gasped at this. “We held them back as best we could but they just kept coming.”

The young council member spoke up. “All in favor of siding with the Alliance raise their right hoof.” The entire council responded. “Good; no objections, let’s go.” The King, royal council and Twilight and friends all evacuated. They galloped through the palace onto the upper balcony. When they could see the light of day Twilight could see the Union troops tearing apart the city. She watched and listened as they sung their marching song.


Long live the union and all her glory.
Long live her ponies and true liberty.
We are the populace and you all are tools.
Toys to the Tsar and her dead regime.
But you’ll go running when you see green.
Flying over your fair city.
Long live the union and all her glory
Long live those who fight for you and me.





You cling to freedom when really
It is what keeps you from true liberty.
We fight for our ponies and their families.
We fight for thee until we are truly free.
Long live the union and all her glory.
Long live her ponies and true liberty.
Long live those who fight for you and me.
We fight for what’s right and global unity.





The union will rise. We won’t compromise.
We will fight until tyrants meet their demise.
We reward those who comply.
We make examples of those who would defy.
Long live the union and all her glory.
Long live her ponies and true liberty.
We fight for thee until we are truly free.
We fight for ponies and their families.


Long….live….our…..great UNION OF THE WORLD.



Twilight watched on as the Saddle Arabian soldiers fought a hopeless fight. Many began to retreat while some stayed behind to ensure those fleeing weren’t shot in the back. Twilight gazed in horror at the slaughter but was cut off as a barge landed by her side. She looked above at the Vessel of the Elements. It was under siege but the crew was able to hold their own. They had sent down a few barges to collect the royal family. “Get on, we need to get out of here,” Twilight wailed. They loaded up as much as the three barges could hold and sent them off. They were emptied quite quickly as several union gunships ruthlessly murdered their passengers. Twilight watched as the barges returned to them soaked in blood. The union soldiers bided their time, just daring them to try again. Twilight’s mind was racing; she knew their time was running out, that the union troops would soon storm the palace. She thought desperately of a way to insure the royal council safe passage. A thought sprung in her head but she didn’t like it. Without hesitation Twilight took flight. She zipped past the Union soldiers catching their full attention. The group of barges gave chase to the lavender mare. Twilight flew faster than she ever thought she could. She knew that if these soldiers caught her it meant death; or something so like it she couldn’t tell the difference. She was grazed by gunfire at least five times before she reached the Vessel of the Elements. She collapsed on the command deck and looked up at the Union barges hovering mere meters above her. The soldiers on board locked their guns on her. She raised her hoof in defense right as several Gryphons landed on the barges causing them to shake. They quickly tore the Union troops apart.

“Twilight!” Shining Armor shouted rushing to her side. “What do you think you’re doing?”

“We need to get the council to safety and these Union soldiers will only be baited by something they think is more important than the assassination of the royal family.”

“Well, there has got to be some other way,” he wailed. “I don’t want you putting your life on the line.”

“We don’t have time to find another way,” Twilight retorted. “We need to get out now and this is the only way to keep the Union troops off their backs while they come aboard the ship.” As Twilight finished her sentence the three barges boarded the zeppelin and the royal council members disembarked and made their way inside the ship to safety.

“Fine,” Shining Armor submitted. “Just don’t do anything ELSE foolish.” Twilight regained her strength and boarded one the barges as it traveled back to the palace.

As she disembarked from the barge she was confronted by Rainbow Dash. “Twilight, what was that?”

“We need to distract the Union troops while the council escapes.”

“Yeah, well your gonna need some help.”

Twilight smiled at the cyan Pegasus. “Ready?” she asked.

“Ready,” Rainbow replied. The two flew off, luring the Union troops away from the barges. After about fifteen minutes of this the last of the royal council was evacuated to the airship. Twilight and Rainbow lay on the roof of the palace with the rest of their friends feeling completely exhausted. The barge was making one last round to get them back to the ship accompanied by two other barges with alliance soldiers. As the barges neared Twilight breathed a sigh of relief. The three docked at the roof and Twilight and friends began boarding. Mere seconds later two union barges began attacking the alliance soldiers.

As Twilight was about to board the barge she heard a yell. “Get her.” She turned around in time to see the butt of a rifle slam into her face. She wailed in pain and fell to the ground where the Union troops repeated the process until she lost consciousness.

“Twilight,” her friends wailed. The Union troops turned their rifles to Twilight’s friends and fired. The barge driver pulled away and made the course to return to the zeppelin.

“We have to go back for her,” Rainbow yelled.

“It’s too late!” the driver wailed. “It’s too late,” he repeated in grief.

When the barge reached its destination Shining Armor was there to greet them. “Good to see you made it here in one piece, and…” he paused. “Where’s Twilight?” he asked in desperation and fear.

“Some union troops captured her.”

“WHAT?” Shining armor wailed. “We need to go back for her. I’ll send another barge down and…”

He was cut off by the Gryphon officer. “Captain, we need to go NOW.”

“We aren’t leaving without my sister,” he retorted.

“We need to go now,” the Gryphon repeated pointing to the horizon. Shining Armor looked out to see five Union zeppelins heading their way. “If those ships catch us we’re all doomed.”

Shining Armor clenched his eyes and teeth shut before responding, “Fine … let’s go.” The Gryphon and Shining armor rushed to the cockpit and set the ships destination to Canterlot; they were off.


Back down on the surface the Union troops were celebrating their victory. “So what do we do with the Alicorn?” the first soldier asked.

“I think the lieutenant wanted us to bring her to him,” a second answered.

“Well then let’s get going.” They lifted Twilight onto their backs; she groaned and tossed in her unconsciousness. “Aw,” the first soldier said. Our little princess looks like she just had her cherry popped.” The two snickered and galloped away. After about fifty minutes the Union had completely occupied the city and built up their defenses. They installed a siphon tower in the center of town both to suppress the magic of the unicorns and to power the turret defenses around the perimeter. They desecrated the countless victory and religious monuments around the city, both out of spite and to demoralize the citizens. The royal palace became their new base of operations in Saddle Arabia where the commanding officer (the lieutenant) took charge over his troops. Twilight had regained her consciousness and was being escorted to the lieutenant by the two guards that had captured her. They had given her a siphon module to keep her from using her magic and had bound her wings. They lead her into the throne room where the lieutenant waited. They opened the twin gold doors. The room was gold like most of the palace. There was a purple carpet as well as six gold chandeliers.

The lieutenant rose and approached them. He lifted his right hoof and placed it under Twilight’s snout. “Not so high and mighty now, huh highness,” he snickered. Twilight spat in his face in retaliation. The lieutenant looked at her in disgust.

“Show some respect you damn harlot,” the first soldier yelled.

“At ease comrades,” the lieutenant ordered. “I don’t blame you for being so resistive,” he said to Twilight. “I probably deserve it for what I’m about to do to you. Well, not me but the Commissar. For what its worth I don’t feel you deserve this fate. But when it happens I won’t be able to stop myself from smiling; after all I had a bit of personal loss from you.”

As their conversation continued a third soldier entered the throne room. “Forgive me for interrupting sir.”

“Couldn’t it have waited?”

“Maybe but I was not letting it. While we were raiding the Equestrian flagship we freed some prisoners of war, one of whom says he knows you and needs to speak to you at once.”

The lieutenant’s eyes widened at his. “Send him in,” he replied.

The young engineer Twilight had meet walked in. “Greetings comrade.”

“Private Moskvin?”

“Indeed, lieutenant Markov.”

“We need not be proper with one another; we have been comrades since long before our service in the Union. Hell, before the union was even founded.”

“Indeed.

“Forgive me Moskvin but I have business I need to attend to. We will catch up later.”

“Actually,” Moskvin persisted, “that’s what I wanted to talk to you about.”

“I beg your pardon?”

“Forgive me Markov but might we speak in private?”

Markov looked to the other soldiers and motioned for them to leave. The three other troops left the room leaving Moskvin, Markov and Twilight alone. “Now what is this about?” Markov asked.

“I want you to spare the princess.”

“What?” Markov wailed. “Why; for what reason? Where did this come from?”

“While I was a POW I worked on the zeppelin’s repairs. I talked to the princess and, long story short, we came to an understanding of each other. She was willing to keep us alive.”

“I see,” Markov replied looking down at Twilight. “Well I suppose I can’t let the Commissar have you then. Hmm,” he thought. “I can’t let you go either. Not because I don’t want to but because there are far too many troops here. I could send you to King Peryite.”

“NO,” Twilight wailed.

“Highness, I assure you the king will treat you fairly,” Moskvin reassured.

“Indeed,” Markov added, “he wanted us to capture you, not kill you.”

“Still no,” Twilight responded. “If you want to help me then please, think of something else.”

“Well there’s not much else but…” Markov paused. We could send you to the Gulag up north in Stalliongrad. I could make a request to make you (VIP) very important prisoner” he chuckled to himself. “It will get you better living conditions, easier jobs, those sorts of things. It seems even in prison ‘who you know makes all the difference.’ ”

Twilight sighed, “There isn’t much other choice, is there.”

“No, it’s either this, die by the Commissar, or go with Peryite.”

“Very well,” Twilight said in grief. “I suppose I should be grateful for this.”

“Princess,” Markov said placing a hoof on her shoulder.

“Yes?” Twilight responded.

“You have my regards. We’ll see you in Stalliongrad. I’ll likely get a new position once the Commissar takes control here. I’ll opt to get guard duty at the gulag.”

Twilight smiled. “See you when I see you, then.”

“Right, but as of now you have a train to catch.” Here. The Lieutenant handed Twilight a grey robe. What's this for? It is very cold up in Stalliongrad; and to keep you're identity hidden. Many up there have never seen an Alicorn. You should also think of a false name; the less reason they have to be suspicious the better. Alright. Good come now. Markov and Moskvin lead Twilight down to the train station and sent her on a train car. Despite it being a prisoner’s escort cart it was pretty nice. The velvet seat cushions were soft as a pillow. It was well climate controlled. Twilight took a look outside the window and waved bye to those who had saved her and the train speed off. The train was rather fast and there wasn’t much to see. After about three hours Twilight looked out the window once again. The desert terrain of Saddle Arabia was far behind her and in its place was now snowy tundra. Five more hours later Twilight could see a city in the distance. “Stalliongrad,” she thought to herself, “must be.” Thirty minutes later the train began to slow down. Twilight looked out and saw a large facility surrounded by a barbwire fence. Three large smoke stacks pumped pure pollution into the air choking and disrupting all living beings breathing in the area. A sign at the entrance read, “Stalliongrad Gulag. You’ll work or by Peryite die trying.” The train slowed to a halt and two guards escorted Twilight off. As they disembarked, Twilight sighed and took a good long look at her new home.

“Get moving,” one of the guards yelled. They then made their way to the warden’s office.