• Published 30th Dec 2014
  • 2,297 Views, 26 Comments

The Final Wars of Equestria - Final fantasy forever



Twilight has been conflicted about being a princess while her friends support it she worries about the responsibility it brings. In honor of her Princess Celetsia makes a new Holiday dedicated to friendship unaware of the danger growing.

  • ...
15
 26
 2,297

Reminiscing the Past

The Final Wars of Equestria CH 12

Reminiscing the Past




“Here’s your cup.”

“Thank you Ivan,” Celestia said taking the cup of tea.

“No thanks needed. I’m doing this as part of my orders. Peryite said to keep your treatment bearable and to be your overseer until he returns.”

“H-how is he…”

Ivan was silent. “We have had no contact with him for some while. We don’t know the fate of our forces at the Crystal Empire either.” Celestia stared silently at the reflection in her tea. Ivan continued, “If I know my king he is very much alive, you need not worry. This must be conflicting to you. For your nature as a mother to love your child, to be pinned against the knowledge that he’s imprisoned you and is seeking to undermine all you’ve worked for.”

“How is my sister being treated?”

“I wouldn’t know. I’m not watching after her.”

“Then who is?”

“The regular staff of Union soldiers and servants.”

“…How long has the Union been around? I doubt you just sprung out of nowhere.”

“Where did the question come from?”

“Trying to get my mind off things. That and curiosity.”

“We were formed as a small revolutionary movement in Stalliongrad, the shell of an old series of labor Union movements shut down by local corrupt authorities. We became more…devoted in our cause and to the means it would take to get us the better world we sought. That’s when Peryite came to us. He just showed up at our underground hideout and…asserted himself. He took new leadership of the movement but more importantly; he brought new life to all of our souls. We had always been dedicated but we were losing our spirit. Peryite was our beacon; we got bolder. He had our smiths make the weapons we use today and we had the strength to go on raids. He built up our strength from there. More joined us, our banner was made, and our goal was at last in sight. But Peryite had other ideas. He showed his vision to us; an Equis united under one banner. Our banner. We were not conquerors or invaders. We were liberators. The strength of the forgotten in every slum in every city would be our force. The meek would find their might. Against the tyrants the world would rise. This would have ended so easily, so little destruction, so little death; but none of us foresaw this. At this rate we may be able to be liberators of a pile of rubble in a world of ashes.”

“Is this something you strive for?”

“I am Peryite’s loyal servant. I will do as my liege tells me.” Ivan took his empty cup and tried to refill it. “Oh my, it appears we’re out of tea.” Ivan grabbed the teapot and made his way to the door. As he did the lock mechanisms turned and the doors opened. He felt his heart skip a beat as he stared into the red eyes of his master. “My liege!” Ivan said bowing to Peryite.

“Greetings Ivan. I must apologize for my absence, but I had matters I needed to attend to.”

“When the rift didn’t open I feared something happened. It’s good to see your alive my king.”

“Thank you Ivan, and something did happen. The Empire is now a heap of charred land and crystals. The heart malfunctioned and now our bastion in Equestria is gone.”

“Tragic news indeed my liege. I assume you have business with her highness here so I’ll…”

“Don’t go far Ivan. I still have things I need to do. New guests I have to…attend to. Head to my chambers and fetch me a small music box that is placed at my bedside.”

“Yes my liege.”

Peryite watched Ivan take his leave to do his task. “Now that we have some privacy, I suppose maybe I ought to fill you in. First, the Empire was destroyed. Everyone there is gone. Your little apprentice was the catalyst for that genocide; you must be so proud of her.”

“I won’t waste my breath trying to convince you of my innocence.”

“Glad you learned something dear Mother. Second, while we’re speaking of Twilight, guess who I brought home.”

“Peryite. What are you going to…”

“She’ll live…but just barely. She’s a clever little bitch; put up quite a struggle. But like all who defy the revolution she was defeated. Now that leaves us with number three. I found her, dear Mother.”

“Who?”

“You know.”

“Peryite what did you do?!”

“Brought her back home as well. I was seconds away from killing her.”

“Peryite.”

“I missed a lot being away. She grew up, she got a kingdom, she found love; REALLY wish I got a say in that last one.”

“You’re the one who left us. I didn’t kick you out.”

“I know; but I was unstable. I couldn’t stay.”

“You’re still unstable.”

“My mind is clear Celestia.”

“I can’t even tell if you got better or worse; but I know your mind is not clear.”

“Believe what you will. But our cause is just, my heart is true, and I can still show mercy.”

The lock mechanisms on the doors turned and clicked as Ivan entered the room once more. “My liege I brought you what you asked for.”

“Thank you Ivan,” Peryite said grabbing the music box.

“Is that the music box you made for her?” Celestia asked.

“Yes.”

“Is she a tyrant in your eyes as well?!”

“You’re the only tyrant here. Even Twilight can’t be blamed for defying the populace. Like teacher like student, I suppose. Ivan, keep watch over her again. I have to go.”

Ivan watched his master take his leave while he remained with Celestia. “Well now. Where were we before this…?”

The arrival of the dumbwaiter answered Ivan. “Ah yes, the tea.” Celestia watched as Ivan refilled their cups.







“Did you hear what they said?”

“That the king was related to princess Twilight?”

“Not just her. All the alicorns.”

“I hadn’t heard that.”

“Yep. Our king was raised by tyrants.”

“Wow, that’s pretty interesting.”

“Think about this you idiot! Does this not mean that we can’t trust Peryite?”

“Regret those words! Our king has always been true to us. We sat him on the throne because we wanted him there, or have you forgotten Stalliongrad already? We’ve been serving the collective good since the first raids in Stalliongrad and now you’d turn your back on him?!”

“I’m just saying it seems odd he’d do this for the common good considering his heritage. Why would he keep this a secret if he had nothing to hide.”

“So he wouldn’t have to enforce loyalty in the ranks, like casting the doubt out of whelps like you.”

“Hey! We’ve been by each other’s side even before the Union. What’s the big deal?”

“Because you doubt the truest of us all. As far as I care it only makes him truer. He saw what royalty was doing and stood against it. It’s not like we don’t have any bourgeoisie members here. Some rich folk had enough of a conscience to join our cause.”

“Yeah but think. What if he never really cared? What if he only overthrew Celestia so he could get more power? And once he gets the power he needs he won’t have any more use for us. And he’ll force us to be his slaves; we’ll have traded one tyrant for another!”

“Listen to yourself!” The guard said slapping his comrade across his face. “You sound like a fool afraid of change!”

“Even some of the marshals feel this way. From what I heard anyway.”

“Must comrade Peryite speak to the entire green army to get the loyalty of his soldiers back?! I can’t believe you got into the elite guard! You’re supposed to serve the king.”

“I serve the populace, and you should to. Know when to follow orders; and when not to.”

“I’m about three insults to the king away from sending you away for reeducation.”

“I’m about three more threats away from putting you to the sword ‘comrade’.”

“Why wait then!”

“What’s going on here?”

“N-nothing my liege,” the two guards said in unison looking sheepish.

“I’m just checking up to make sure everything is in check with our ‘guest’.”

“Yes sir, everything is fine.”

“Just a reminder for the rules. One, keep the doors sealed at all times unless someone with permission is ordering you to let them enter. Two, keep the siphon module running at all times. Three: keep her bound to the sphere at all times. Four, permission is only granted by my seal and mine alone; not even the marshals are allowed in here without my say so. This isn’t a rule but; don’t give her anything above C-level rations.”

“Yes sir.”

“Is she still unconscious?”

“Yes sir.”

“I’ll check back later then.” With that Peryite took his leave.








“Marshal Kilian ma’am.”

“Yes, what is it colonel?”

“Just reporting the files for the new POWs have been entered in the Union archives.”

“Thank you colonel. You’re dismissed.”

“Um, with you permission marshal. May I see the prisoner?”

“Which one?”

“Princess Twilight.”

“Why?”

“Just to see that it’s true.”

“You don’t believe us.”

“Of course I do, I just want to see it with my own eyes.”

“That’s fair.”

“So I have your permission.”

“Sure, but my permission won’t get you an audience with the prisoner. You need to ask the king.”

“Oh, why didn’t you just say that at the beginning?”

“I wanted to know your reasons.”

“Oh, well dosvidanya marshal.”

“Dosvidanya comrade.”

Markov bowed and left the room. He trotted down the hall trying to decide if asking Peryite was the best idea. The fear of the king learning about his treason back in Stalliongrad chilled him to the bone. As he turned the corner he saw his king trotting down in his direction. Markov slowed his pace thinking what would be the best choice of action. Peryite turned to the doors of a very important prisoner cell. He sighed and turned the lock mechanisms. “My liege.”

“Hmm. Yes comrade what is it?”

“Forgive me my liege, I should present myself. Colonel Markov at your service.”

“Comrade at the current moment I could care less about your expectations as an officer when presenting yourself. Now what do you want?”

“I had heard news about the capture of princess Twilight.”

“Yes, get to the point.”

“I just wanted to see that it was true.”

“It’s true, now go.”

“Well may I have permission to see her? Just to know.”

“No. If you don’t have enough loyalty to believe me when I say something is true then perhaps you need some reeducation.”

“Of course I believe it sir, I’ve just been waiting to see that tsarist harlot put in her place.”

“All of us have. You can wait a bit longer comrade. You will all get to see the prisoner soon enough.”

“I-is she being executed, comrade Peryite sir?”

“You will see later comrade Markov. Know your place.”

“V-very well sir. I had also heard there was another prisoner.”

“Comrade, unless the next words to come out of your mouth are official business then I am not to be disturbed.” Markov watched Peryite enter the cell and shut the door behind him. He sighed as he trotted down the hall to his quarters.






Peryite trotted to the end of the room. The very important prisoner cells were meant for high positioned officers, or viceroys, or any important prisoner of war that had thoroughly complied with the Union and had helped the cause in some way. Each prison camp was fitted with a single room for one of these qualified occupants for later transportation to a more secure location. The palace was the only place that had several floors dedicated to this. The soldiers had taken to calling them prisons of gold and silk. Each room had a siphon in them to suppress the magic of any prisoners who wielded it. Peryite sighed as he stood over the rooms’ occupant. “Rest easy sister. I’m sure that sleep, be it simple or dream filled, will be better than what you will awake to. I know you will have questions; some I wish I had answers for; some I wish I had better answers for.” Peryite gently sat on the edge of the bed with a light smile. “I always dreaded the day we would meet again, even more so after I began to lead the Union. Ever since I was poked and prodded by those sadists in lab coats…well let’s just say I haven’t exactly been a figure others like to see, it even took me three weeks to get use to what I was. I never wanted you to see me like this but after more than a decade of being away I knew it was a mistake not to let you know. It may have broken your heart to see me this way but I know it must have eaten you up inside; to think I hated you for what you did. I know the feeling my dear Cadence. Mother Celestia told me how hard this whole thing was when I returned to Canterlot. I was still convinced that seeing me would only make your suffering grater, to see your brother as a monster. I should have been there, for everything. I didn’t want to grow up without you, but fate’s the cruelest ruler that we all obey.” Peryite gently stroked the pink mare’s mane. “Funny,” Peryite chuckled. “Though it was countless moons ago, I can still remember what happened that day in Stalliongrad no less vividly. I saved your life, you did much more for me.”







I remember tears streaming down your face when I said I’d never let you go.

When all that fire almost took your life.

I remember you said “Don’t leave me here alone.”

But all that died was all our pain and strife.


Just close your eyes.
The sun is coming now.
You’ll be alright.
Cause we’re together now
Come morning light.
You and I’ll be safe. And. Sound.


I dreaded what you’d think about what became of your brother.

The war inside my head keeps raging on.

I clung to your lullaby.

Even when the music was, gone. Gone.



Just close your eyes.
The sun is coming now.
You’ll be alright.
Cause we’re together now
Come morning light.
You and I’ll be safe. And. Sound.

Just close your eyes.
The sun is coming now.
You’ll be alright.
Cause we’re together now
Come morning light.
You and I’ll be safe. And. Sound.








“Ah Cadence how was…”

“What do you think? I stayed around the palace and did nothing.”

“Come now Cadence it couldn’t be all that bad.”

“Aunt Celestia. When you said I could finally come with you to a different continent I thought this was going to be an adventure. Even when you said it was just a diplomatic visit to Stalliongrad I thought it would be more exciting than this. So far I haven’t even seen Stalliongrad, just the palace.”

“Cadence I sadly don’t have time to go around Stalliongrad with you. I can ask some royal guards to escort you around and…”

“I wanted to either see it with you or just by myself. I don’t want guards being my shadow while I walk down the street.”

“Cadence you had said that you wanted to see something new and talk to foals your age. Well we’re in a foreign land and the Grand duchesses and dukes are around your age; why don’t you talk with them?”

“Aunt Celestia, you can take me to Canterlot, Gryphonstone, Saddle Arabia, or here in Stalliongrad. All different cultures and designs and all I see, is gold, jewels, and silk. A palace is a palace. Second, I don’t much care for the Grand dukes and duchesses are all the same, snobby, snooty royalty. I was hoping to talk to somepony who didn’t talk like the ground they walk on should be worshipped.”

“Cadence you know I’m needed in Canterlot after this so we could only afford to spend three days here. I’m sorry.”

“I understand. I have to, because understanding how important your duties are and that they come before everything is part of being a royal!” Cadence said flustered.

“Cadence please, I...”

“I understand,” Cadence said trotting back to her guest quarters. The pink filly sighed slumping into the gold-framed bed. She sighed, looking up at the ceiling before burying her face in the pillow. After fifteen minutes of pouting she grew bored of that and fell asleep.




Cadence awoke in the mid morning. Sunlight poured through the window causing her to shield her already shut eyes with her foreleg. She got to her hooves and slowly trotted down the hall hoping to finish waking up with some cold water. “Sounds like you’ve got a bit of a problem on your hooves.”

“They only make up a small amount of Stalliongrad’s loyal workforce. Most law-abiding citizens are content where they are. These labor agitators have done little to back up their ‘cause’.”

“Perhaps it wouldn’t be such a bad idea to hear them out in their demands.”

Cadence’s curiosity began to get the better of her as she stopped to listen on the rest of the conversation. “Oh come now. Why? They have nothing to hold over our heads. Plenty of folk are happy where they are now. Why bring in all this change?”

“Perhaps plenty of folk haven’t felt the need yet. How about you do something to keep it that way.”

“Now Celestia, this trip here was for diplomacy, and to make the Equestrian crown a patron to Starrick Manufacturing. Not so you can tell me how to run my country.”

“I’m only giving you some advice. Equestria has always been calm and restful because everypony can make a good living.”

“So can the bulk of those here.”

“Can’t you see the ‘ambition’ in ponies like Yaridovich Starrick?”

“I see a stallion with a vision. One he’s trying to make a reality.”

“Indeed. One he’ll pave over your nation to make real.”

“Celestia. Watch your tongue.”

“It’s ponies like Yaridovich Starrick, that give those labor agitators a reason to have a banner.”

“It’s also ponies like Yaridovich that bring industry to our nation. He has given many new jobs here; families flock here for work in the factories that business stallions like Yaridovich have. Come walk and talk I have somewhere to be.”

“I know it’s not really my business but you should be careful on who you allow to have power and how much,” Celestia said opening the door.

“Oh, hello child. Cadence is your name, correct?”

“Cadence. Is everything alright?” Celestia asked.

“I’m fine, could be better but I see you’re busy.”

“Cadence.”

“What’s the problem child?”

“Nothing.”

“She had wanted to see the city, but as you said I still have business to do here. And Starrick manufacturing is not exactly a place to go sightseeing.”

“Well then I can get her some escorts.”

“I’ll pass,” Cadence replied.

“I made her that offer. She said she didn’t want guards shadowing her.”

“Then let her go off in the market. The town is safe there so long as you avoid talking with anyone shady. It’s crowded so none of the vagrants would think to try and do anything worse than take your coin purse.”

“No, I appreciate the reassurance but no. Like you said Nikolai, you get the final say on your country, and I’ll make the final say on my niece.”

“Aunt Celestia, come on!”

“No. I’m sorry but that’s final.”

“Come now Celestia. I assure you she’ll be fine.”

Celestia turned to the Nikolai. The blue stallion returned her gaze; looking at her over his glasses with his green eyes; his purple mane tucked neatly behind his neck. “Would you let your children go about the city with no supervision?”

“Of course not. But I know how safe my city is in the proper areas. Besides every visit to Stalliongrad should be a delightful one. And I wouldn’t be making this offer if you were more available for your niece. You didn’t bring her along because I asked you to; remember you said you wanted her to have a good change of pace.” Celestia gave Nikolai a hard, cold gaze. She could hear it in his voice; that tone that challenged her authority. “I promise you; so long as she stays away from alleys and ponies that look like they’d want to do her harm she’ll be fine.”

Celestia turned her gaze to Cadence who stared back at her with a hopeful expression. She sighed. “Are you sure about this Cadence?”

“I’ll be fine.”

“Very well. Stay safe and don’t talk to anypony who looks shady. Better yet anyone who isn’t running a shop.”

“Oh come on. I was hoping to talk to some of the local foals.”

“Well most of them are in the schoolhouses right now dear,” Nikolai replied.

“Though if you do see some you can talk with them,” Celestia replied.

Cadence embraced the white mare’s legs. “I promise you won’t regret this Aunt Celestia.”

Celestia watched her niece gallop off to wash up and gather some money for touring town before turning to Nikolai. “Where were we before this Celestia. Ah yes your donations and patronage to Starrick Manufacturing.”









Cadence trotted out the palace doors and into the snow. The only additional warmth she had was a blue scarf wrapped around her neck. Two sentinels stood guard at the gates of the palace. She slowly approached the guards. “Um, hello. Uh I was going to…”

“We know. We were informed.” The sentinels opened the gates. “Stay safe highness.”

Cadence clasped her scarf with her magic as the wind picked up. “Cadence wait.”

Cadence turned to her aunt. “Oh come on. Aunt Celestia I…”

“I’m not taking back what I had said before. I just wanted to explain why I’ve been so against you doing all this.” Celestia trotted up to the pink filly. She knelt beside her and placed her left hoof on Cadence’s neck. “It’s just that…ever since I lost your Aunt Luna. I blamed myself for letting her get that way. I don’t know if I could have done anything; but I felt I should have been able to do something. I may be busy with my duties but…I want you to know you’re all I have. I couldn’t bear the thought of losing you.”

Cadence stared into the
light purple eyes of her aunt. “I promise. I won’t do anything dangerous.”

“That’s all I can really ask for. I know I couldn’t keep you away from the possibility of harm forever. Come back before dusk. Is that clear?”

“Crystal.”

“Good. Meet me later today at Starrick Manufacturing. Six o’clock or so.” Celestia hugged Cadence before watching her gallop through the gates.





Cadence trotted down the streets of Stalliongrad with a clear sign of pep in her walk. The city was much different from Canterlot. It looked much more modern. Taxi chariots were in almost every street peddling everyone from business ponies to common citizens. Three hours had passed since she had left the palace and now she was deciding where to go next. She got her answer as her hunger caught up to her. The map of the city she picked up at the library showed there was a market nearby. Cadence thought about taking a cab but decided that her aunt would have felt easier about her just following the map and walking. After fifteen minutes the market was in sight. The sounds and smells of the market filled Cadence’s ears and nose. Various stores were around the square but few were here for them. Market stands and booths were scattered and setup, selling a variety of foods. Cadence contemplated where to begin, looking around at the seemingly endless stands. “HEY! Get back here with that you damn svoloch!” One of the merchants hollered.

Cadence turned to the source of the uproar. “Aw come on now Yuri. Be charitable to those less fortunate than you. Besides it looks like you could go to lose a few pounds,” a white unicorn colt mocked as he leapt off the stand holding several apples in a basket.

“Why you GET BACK HERE! Guards!” Three town guards galloped to the merchant’s side and gave chase to the retreating colt.

“Come now officers. Don’t you have something better to do than chase a foal?”

Cadence approached the disgruntled merchant. “What was that?”

“I got robbed! That hoodlum is a menace! He robs all of us when he gets the chance. And the town guard give up after a while, think a foal isn’t worth their time,” the merchant said angrily as he spat in the snow.

“Sorry to hear that.”

“Yeah, yeah. You want to buy something?”

“Sure. What do you have?”

“Really. Well that at least makes this less infuriating. Just some various fruit; apples, oranges, pears; if there’s something particular you want I’ll try and find it for you.”

“I’ll just take some apples.”

“Coming up.”

“Say, why are you all here. Looks like this is more a place for businesses.”

“Aye. This is the weekly farmers market. We live in more rural areas, tilling the land to put food on our tables. We’re in town to sell our surplus to make some money.”

“Is it a long trip from here to your home?”

“Two days tops. We travel in a caravan so things are easier on us. We haven’t run into any trouble on the roads to town. It’s in town where I have to watch my back with urchins like that foal!”

“Huh,” Cadence said as she saw a glimmer in the snow. She picked up a small silver amulet of a spade. “What’s this?”

“Looks like a necklace. Come to think of it…that’s the necklace that thief wares! Probably stole it.”

“Do you know where he ran off to?”

“If I did I’d be strangling his little neck. If I had to guess though I’d say look in Paupers Drop. Though now that I hear myself saying that…don’t. Paupers Drop is the wrong side of town for anyone who can afford a roof over their head.”

“Why?”

“Only vagrants live there. If they don’t rob you they’ll mug you; if they don’t mug you they’ll kidnap you, if they don’t kidnap you they’ll kill you.”

“Sounds really bad,” Cadence said with a slight shudder.

“Course it is. Plenty of folk there hate how things are in this town. Anyhow here’s your basket of fruit. That’ll be five bits.”

“Thanks,” Cadence said paying the fee for the food. She had wanted to find somepony her age she could talk to that wasn’t so pompous. That foal definitely qualified but if what that merchant said was true then looking for him would go against what she promised to her aunt. (Then again, if a foal could survive there it can’t be that bad,) she thought to herself. Against her better judgment Cadence decided to find the colt.








“E-excuse me. Have you seen...”

“Do you have any spare bits on you?”

“I-well, huh?”

“If you don’t then go away.”

“Here,” Cadence said giving the stallion in rags a bit.

“About time, now get lost!”

“Hey you can at least tell me if you’ve seen who I’m looking for.”

“You got any other bits?”

Cadence sighed grabbing another bit from her coin purse. “Now have you seen him?”

“What does he look like?”

“White, unicorn, a foal, blue eyes I think, wears a green coat.”

“Yeah I know him. Lives deeper in the drop, just watch for the glow of a fire. He’ll be there.”

“Thanks,” Cadence said giving the stallion another bit.

“Yeah, yeah. Try not to get the attention of the wrong folk here.”

Cadence carefully trotted down the alleyway trying to avoid the puddles that dotted the ground. Empty boxes and bottles littered the ground as well as torn up papers. The drop reeked with a thick rancid smell causing the pink filly to wrap her scarf around her muzzle. Cadence stopped and considered just going back. This place made her stomach knot and if what she heard was true she was in danger every moment she spent here. Finding one colt to talk to wasn’t really worth all this. She took a deep breath and continued forward remembering even if she was hoping to find someone to talk with she also had something to return to him. Cadence quickened her pace, trying to avoid getting the attention of the local vagrants. After eight minutes of searching the idea came to her to just fly and look for the glow. Cadence spread her wings and took flight. She gazed around until she caught a faint orange glow. The pink filly glided down and landed next the fire. Sure enough, the white foal was tending to the fire with a stick. He looked up slightly at Cadence before turning his attention back to the fire. Cadence stood still trying to decide how to begin a conversation with him. “Uh…hi.” The colt didn’t respond. “Uh, my name’s Cadence.”

“How nice, I’m the colt who doesn’t care.”

“Well gee, so much for small talk.”

“Look, girl,” the colt said getting up and trotting behind Cadence.

He gazed at her as though studying her before lightly lifting her coin purse. “Hey what are you…?”

“Fifty-six bits. I’d say there’s fifty-six or so bits in this coin purse.”

“Well I was given sixty-five so from what I’ve spent I guess so…wait what does this have to do with anything?”

“Is this your weekly allowance or just some spending money for the day?”

“I…what?”

“YOU’RE WEALTHY. What in the Mother’s name are you doing in a place like this? The place is called Paupers Drop for a reason.”

“I was looking for you actually.”

“Why?”

“Well for starters I’ve been looking for someone my age to talk with. And I had found…”

“Let me stop you there. Listen kid, we have nothing in common. We would have little to talk about. Go home.”

“Hey I came out all this way, don’t you think the least you can do is give me a bit of your time.”

“No, now get lost.”

Cadence wanted to protest be she couldn’t find the words. “Fine. I’ll leave. Before I go though, HERE!” Cadence almost screamed as she gave the colt the amulet.

“My necklace. Where did you find this?”

“Where you robbed that merchant.”

“Well you can see I’m not exactly swimming in options.”

“Yeah well, good day.”

The colt sighed as he watched Cadence walk away. “Don’t think this means I regret what I said. All of it was true.”

“I suppose it was,” Cadence said turning her head and trotting away.”

“Look, I suppose at the least I could say thank you. So there.”

“Take your thanks and sell it to someone who wants it.”

“Hmm, even your walk has uppercrust elegance. Only wealth worms would care for that much etiquette.”

“At least I was taught decent manners. Your parents would be ashamed to see such a lack of them in you.”

The white colt clenched his teeth in anger. “WHY YOU!!! Regret those words!!” The foal slowly trotted towards Cadence with a look of fury in his eyes. Cadence felt it was best to just go. She spread her wings and took flight. Before she could make it over the buildings she was forced down. The colt held her down in the snow with his magic as he approached her. “Listen to me you bucking pest! You have no right to judge me! None at all, am I clear.” Cadence whimpered as she tried to break free. “Look me in the eyes! AM I…” the colt felt a knot in his stomach form as he stared into the filly’s purple eyes. His horn slowly dimmed as he released her. “Y-your eyes. They’re the same as mine.”

“W-what? What are you talking about? Yours are blue, mine are purple.”

“Not like that. Father Dimitri taught me how to view the soul. He taught me how to see what others are like by looking into their eyes. Yours twinkle with loneliness and loss. You hide it with your smile and most fall for it. Am I right?”

“…Maybe”

“The body can be taught to lie but the eyes can hold no secrets. Talk to me. I’ll listen.”

Cadence sighed. “Why the sudden change of heart?”

“Because…I would have killed to have someone to talk it out with. To bottle up that kind of pain, is to put one’s self through a state of mental torture. Come on now, let that pain rise on out.”

“Okay,” Cadence said softly as she took a seat by the dimming fire the colt had lit in an iron pot with woodchips and pyre kindling. “I’d hardly call it loss. I knew Aunt Celestia from as long as I can remember. She was always there. Though I knew she wasn’t my mother I always felt she was as close to one as they come. I don’t really remember my parents but…recently…through one of the photo galleries she kept, Aunt Celestia had a picture of my parents and me. I never felt that something was missing in my life, but seeing them like that it…well let’s just say putting a face to the names only made it that much harder to handle. I wanted to talk to her about them but…I don’t know if she’d really understand. She’s been around a lot longer than I have, I had always felt death was a simple matter when viewed through the eyes of an alicorn.”

“I guess we have some common ground after all.”

“Huh?”

“You can’t really make this kind of deduction by just looking at me, but I’m an orphan. My mother died long ago; never knew my father.”

“I’m sorry I…oh sweet Celestia I’m so sorry I said what I did, honest I am.”

“I believe you. No hard feelings, we’re in the same boat. I’m sorry what did you say your name was again?”

“Cadence.”

“That’s a nice name.”

“Thank you, I…”

“For an urban rich filly. What’s your real name?”

Cadence sighed. “Mi Amore Cadenza.”

“What a lovely name. Why don’t you use it?”

“In all honesty, I preferred something simpler.”

“Imagine that. By the way, what are you?”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean you have both wings and a horn. Is there a name for that?”

“I’m an alicorn.”

“Wings and a horn, that must be something whimsical, why haven’t I seen any of them around here?”

“I’m confident that Equestria is the only place with alicorns.”

“What’s your role?”

“Huh?”

“I mean everypony has a particular role. Earth ponies mainly are heavy lifting folk, Pegasi work with the clouds or on high places, and unicorns are the mages or scholars. What do alicorns do?”

“Aunt Celestia is the princess of Equestria. I suppose being leaders is what the alicorns do. Maybe I’ll have to do the same later.”

“So you’re royalty. My, you definitely have a lot of guts to be walking around this kind of neighborhood.”

“No kidding. Aunt Celestia was quite against this. I even said I wouldn’t venture here; guess I didn’t really keep that promise.”

“Hey a promise is something that should always be kept.”

“Yeah well, hey, you never told me your name.”

“Pyreite. Just Pyreite.”

“Never heard a name like that before.”

“What a surprise.”

“I’m sorry I didn’t mean it in a bad way I…”

“I know you didn’t. I was given the name for a reason.”

“What’s that?”

“Eh, best not to go into detail yet really,” Pyreite said shyly rubbing his neck.

“Oh, alright. Say, do you need anything? I mean since you’re living in these slums.”

“Yeah, about fifty-thousand bits to keep me going. But in all seriousness I suppose I’ll manage. I mean I’ve been working on my thieving hooves as you might have seen. I can always manage; just take what I need.”

“Well not today. Come on; ever wonder what it’s like to be treated like a prince?”

“I’ve felt something similar.”

“Huh?”

“Nothing. Well, okay. Come on Cadence let’s head to town.”














“You enjoying the soup?”

Pyreite capped his thermos and wiped his lower chin. “A hot meal of any kind is one I’ll enjoy.”

Cadence smiled. I’m surprised. If you’re an orphan wouldn’t you go to an orphanage?”

“I wish. You see…I’m not really from Stalliongrad. I’m not really from Equis at all.”

“What are you then an alien,” Cadence laughed.

“No, but…” Pyreite sighed. “Explaining would have to go through quantum physics.”

“Quantum what?”

“Never mind. The point is, since I didn’t have any birth certificate from another country or any documented way to prove I was born at all, they couldn’t enroll me in a government funded care center or foal protective services. I had to learn to live in Stalliongrad’s streets and survive. I was able to stop by the river district schoolhouse and get some food but…never mind.”

“That sounds awful,” Cadence said in a sympathetic tone.”

“You’re right. It wasn’t easy, I even found a job but that bastard felt he could underpay me just cause I was a foal. I wasn’t doing all that work for a tenth of what a stallion would be paid.”

“Who was this?”

“It doesn’t matter. Anyhow I figured the only way to survive was to take what I needed and not give it a second thought.” Cadence wrapped her foreleg around Pyreite’s neck. The white colt gave her a bit of a puzzled look before wrapping his foreleg around her. “You know. There’s one place in the city I think you should see. I’m the only one who really knows a way in so I know you haven’t visited it yet.”

“Oh. This wouldn’t happen to involve us trespassing would it?” Cadence asked a bit skeptical.

“No, not really. No one was meant to go up there save for maintenance and to reset the clockwork but no one says we CAN’T go there.”

“Well, okay.”

“Wonderful. Come on let’s head off.”

Pyreite and Cadence slowly got up from the bench they were on and the former took the lead. Cadence found that the trail of hoof prints the colt made in the snow were somehow warm. Pyreite gazed at his reflection in his necklace. For the first time he viewed his face with a smile. He couldn’t remember the last time he had found someone to just have a decent time with. Struggling to survive everyday had never allowed him to enjoy the simple pleasures of foalhood. He doubted this would happen again anytime soon so he was determined to make every moment count. “How much longer?” Cadence asked.

“Not much more. Come on, the entrance is in a slum so try and keep your eyes off the locals else they might get…offended (by that I mean violent).”

Cadence turned her head to a group of foals playing in the snow. “Guess school is out.”

“Yeah, come on,” Pyreite said taking Cadence’s hoof and hurrying her along.

“Something wrong?”

“No not yet at least. Let’s hurry along.”

“Should I be worried?”

“No, of course not.”

“Well, you know there IS something I really wanted to do while in a place like Stalliongrad.”

“What?”

Cadence answered Pyreite by throwing a lump of snow at the back of his head with her magic. “Having a snowball fight!”

“Cadence this may not be the best time to…” Pyreite was cut off by Cadence throwing another lump of snow at him.

“Oh come on Pyreite, let’s have a little fun.”

“Cadence I said this wasn’t a good…” Pyreite stopped mid sentence and threw a lump of snow at the pink filly. “Gotcha!”

“You tricked me you little liar,” Cadence said retaliating with more snow.

“Hey you fired the first shots in this snowball war so I’m obliged to fire the last,” Pyreite said smiling. The two exchanged fire with snowballs before lying in the snow. “You know this is the first time I’ve had this much fun since…golly I don’t know how many years,” he said.

“I don’t think I’ve ever had this much fun at all,” Cadence replied.

“You know…you’re pretty fun Cadence.”

“I think it’s time we both learn to act our age, and for once that means being less mature.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean look at who we are. We’re both around the same age I think. I’m nine and a half, you’re…?”

“Ten and a quarter last I checked.”

“Well believe it or not being a royal isn’t very much fun, when you’re being trained to be a princess…well you see what I did to find someone to have a bit of fun with. Point is, there are not many opportunities to have some simple pleasure like this. I know that Equestria has high expectations for me so I have to get used to being more mature. And growing up the way you have, I doubt you have many chances to have a good time either. This is supposed to be the fun part of our lives, where we are supposed to be…well, foals. But instead we both were told we have to grow up.”

“Well to the Land of Nod with that. I think we’ve earned a little break from all this. Today is our day Cadence.”

“You know, I’m really glad to have met you Pyreite.”

“That means a lot Cadence, I don’t have many ponies in this town that have any sympathy for me.”

“Do they really not care about you that much?”

“Well mainly it’s…”

“Get out of here you monster!” an orange unicorn colt with a turquoise mane said, throwing a stone at Pyreite.

The stone hit him clean in the back of his head. The white colt cringed; he looked over his shoulder and rubbed his head. Four others foals stood by the side of the one who threw the rock. “Vostok, not today alright,” Pyreite said trying a reason with the orange colt.

“You’ve got a lot of nerve coming around the river district after what you did!”

“I told you that wasn’t my fault!”

“Then who’s was it?! The fireplace? You’re a menace!”

“Hold on, what’s going on?” Cadence asked.

“Who the hell are you?!” the colt demanded.

“I’m Cadence, what’s the big deal? What’d he do?”

“This fiend is a pyromaniac. He burned down our schoolhouse! That was the only one the district had and now it’s gone, all thanks to him.”

“You’re the ones that asked for me to help you with your heating issue. I tired but that just got out of control!”

“Yeah and we aren’t getting another one anytime soon.”

“I’m ashamed of what I did alright.”

“Then lie down and bleed!” Vostok said tackling Pyreite to the ground.

He slugged Pyreite twice across the face before the latter managed push the former off. “In a world where we fight with one another how can we hope for a brighter future,” Pyreite said under his breath. “I won’t fight you, even though you mean me harm.”

Pyreite dodged and evaded Vostok and the other four colts as best he could. After two minutes his luck ran out and he was once again pinned by Vostok. Two of the other foals held his forelegs down as the orange colt slammed a rock against Pyreite’s nose. “Please stop this!” Cadence yelled as she pulled Vostok off Pyreite.

“Stay out of this,” he said shoving the pink filly to the snow. “What’s a foal like you doing here anyhow? Doesn’t matter, if you care for that bastard then you can’t be any better than him.” The orange unicorn illuminated his horn and tied Cadence’s scarf around her neck. She hacked as she struggled to push off the colt and untie the scarf with her magic.

Pyreite cringed at the blows of two of the foals. He covered his head with his forelegs. “S-stop! It hurts,” Cadence cried.

“GET. OFF. HER!!” Pyreite yelled in fury as a cloak of flame engulfed him. The foals on him rolled in the snow trying to put out the flames. He grabbed Vostok with his magic and slammed him against the ground. Cadence untied the scarf around her neck and gasped for air. “How dare you torture such an innocent soul!” Columns of flame spouted out from the ground around Pyreite as he grabbed the five foals and tossed them against the wall of a building. “Burn in Nod,” Pyreite said as three balls of flame surrounded the foals and began closing in on them.

The five foals screamed and begged as the flames barely but painfully ate away at them. Pyreite smiled at the pleas of mercy from his victims, he’d wanted to do this for a while now but felt it was wrong on a fundamental level. They after all had every right to be angry with him; after all he couldn’t even forgive himself. He was accepting with being their stress punching bag but they had no right to hurt someone who had done nothing to them. Pyreite inched the balls of flame closer to the five causing the screams to increase. “Have mercy!” Vostok begged.

“You have none to give to a foal who did nothing to you. Why do you deserve any in return?”

“I’m sorry. Please!”

“I forgive you. But sadly I cannot give forgiveness on her part.”

“Neither can you give judgment,” Cadence said wrapping her forelegs around Pyreite.

The flames around the foals slowly extinguished and the five galloped off. Pyreite exchanged glances with Cadence. “I didn’t hurt you did I?”

“No,” Cadence replied.

“Good. Now get going.”

“Going where?”

“Anywhere! Go home,” Pyreite said slumping and sitting in the snow.

“But you had said we were…”

“NOT ANYMORE. Now you know the truth I guess. I won’t deny it, I burned down the schoolhouse; I didn’t mean to but that doesn’t square anything. One of the survival instincts I had to learn was violence, so I can be a bit…dangerous…to say the least.”

“I don’t care.”

“Yeah well I do! Just go.”

Cadence sighed. “Alright. Where are we going?”

Pyreite got to his hooves and stared at the pink filly. “I told you I…”

“I heard, I don’t care; I know who you really are. You know who I really am. And I think it wrong to turn my back upon a friend.” Pyreite continued to stare at Cadence before wrapping his right foreleg around her and pulling her into an embrace. She returned the embrace before taking Pyreite’s side as the two trotted on.











“So, about what happened back there.”

“I’d really like to not talk about it.”

“That’s okay, I’m just curious…is that why you got your name? Pyreite.”

“Yes, I’ve always had a…tendency to play with fire. It hasn’t always gotten me into so much trouble. I dare say it’s given my life quite a few blessings.”

“How did you get that magic?”

“I’m not sure. I suppose I’ve always had it, it just took me years to figure out that it was magic.”

“Did others shun you for it where you came from? Is that why you left?”

“Oh gods no. Every one in Uralia viewed the sages of fire as sentinels of warmth and guardians against the bitter cold. It gave me a place in the city.”

“Uralia?”

“I’d tell you about my old home, but…well that’s a story for another day.”

“Yeah…another day,” Cadence said staring down at the snow.

“Something wrong?” Pyreite asked concerned.

“No, it’s fine,” Cadence, said putting on a light smile.”

“Hey Cadence.”

“Yeah?”

“Don’t lie to me.”

“What?”

“Remember when I said the body can lie but the eyes hold no secrets. Yeah well your eyes aren’t really matching that smile.”

“I-I…”

“Cadence. Talk to me.”

“Once we get to where you wanted…I’ll tell you.”

“Okay. If you’re sure.”

“Yes.”

“Alright, we’re almost there anyhow.” The two continued down through the slums silently. Cadence knew she never mentioned how long she was staying here. She doubted she would see Stalliongrad again anytime soon, neither was she sure how Pyreite would take the news. After five minutes Pyreite stopped. “Alright, we’re basically here.”

Cadence stared up at the abandoned complex before her. “This place? What’s so significant about this place?”

“You’ll see. Come on,” Pyreite said opening the door with his magic and heading inside.

Cadence gazed around the ground floor of the building. It looked as though it had seen better days. The walls showed signs of wear and erosion from the elements. The ceiling was torn at by vermin and other pests. A dank smell of mold was in the air as well as other foul smells. Cadence watched Pyreite push at an empty bookshelf. “Uh Pyreite…”

The filly watched her friend move the bookshelf and reveal a passageway heading down. “Ta-da!” Pyreite said with a smile. “Come on.”

“Uh, Pyreite. Where does this go?”

“Underground.”

“How far underground?!”

“Not far, come on now slow poke,” Pyreite said heading down the steps.

“Are you sure this is a good idea?” Cadence asked concerned.

“Positive, come on now Cadence.”

Cadence took a deep breath and followed Pyreite into the tunnels below. Dim lanterns lit the walls of the tunnels showing the path in front of her. “Uh, Pyreite.”

“Yeah?”

“Where did these tunnels come from?”

“Not completely sure where. There’s only one faction that used these tunnels that I know of.”

“And they are?”

“Smugglers.”

“Smugglers!” Cadence said looking back expecting to find some cutthroat standing behind her.”

“Relax Cadence. Stalliongrad’s guards cleaned this place out years ago. The smuggling ring was shut down long ago. Trust me I’ve been using these tunnels for a long time and no one else has been down here except me; well me and you as of now.”

“O-okay. What are these tunnels for?”

“…Smuggling. They’re linked with several key locations that the old ring used to store contraband, as well as their meeting grounds, lookout spot, and areas to the outskirts of town. The last ones got plugged up by the guards.”

“What do you use these tunnels for?”

“Shelter, getting around the city, occasional theft, but mainly they’re my home.”

“You live down here? I thought you lived in Pauper’s Drop.”

“I go there to do my begging. Plus the drop is one of the locations the tunnels link to. Most just assume I’m one of the drop’s residents.”

“So you just live in the halls of these tunnels.”

“No. I’ve made myself a residential area out of various things I’ve…’acquired’ throughout my time in Stalliongrad. If you’re feeling tired we can take a break; we’ve both been doing a lot of walking.”

“I think I’ll be alright. Though a break is sounding pretty inviting right now.”

“Well we’re almost where I wanted to show you.”

“Well then let’s pick up the pace,” Cadence said with a bit of pep in her voice. The two turned their trot into a gallop and headed further down the tunnel.








“How do you like the view Cadence?”

“You can see the whole city from here,” Cadence said in awe.

“Yep, the smugglers used this clocktower as a lookout and storage area for their operations. I use it to take in the beauty.”

Cadence smiled, taking in the early evening of the city. The sun was beginning its dip into the horizon as darkness began to fall on Stalliongrad. “This is so nice. I honestly can’t believe Aunt Celestia was so worried. Nothing bad really happened. Well aside from being nearly being strangled by that colt.”

“I doubt Vostok will bother you anymore, or me for that matter.”

“Things honestly weren’t as bad as I was lead to believe.”

“Aye, the vagrants don’t really have a good image to the rest of Stalliongrad. Undeniably there are some that’d do some rotten things but that’s just desperation. You get anyone desperate enough and they’d do just about anything.”

“Folk see them as thugs, cutthroats, and kidnappers I guess.”

“Well I must say Cadence. A princess’s ransom would certainly get rid of my money troubles,” Pyreite laughed.

Cadence chuckled. “Make sure to get every last bit a royal ransoming deserves.”

“The hard part wouldn’t be the haggling, it’d be letting you go,” Pyreite said with a smile.

As the two laughed with one another the clock tower chimed. “What was that?”

“Just six o’clock is all. The clocktower letting the town know the time.”

“Oh alright. Wait it’s six!”

“Yeah. What of it?”

“I have to go.”

“What, why?”

“I promised Aunt Celestia I’d meet her around six.”

“Oh, I’ll see you tomorrow then,” Pyreite said with a hopeful tone.

“Pyreite. I’m not from Stalliongrad. I’m only staying here for the rest of the week and now that time is up. I have to go back to Equestria.”

Those words hit the white colt like a train at mach nine. “I…I’m guessing you aren’t coming back anytime soon.”

“I…I don’t know.”

“That means no,” Pyreite said propping himself up against the wall of the clock tower.

“Pyreite.”

“Should have know; nothing gold can stay.”

“Pyreite you can still come with me. I’m sure Aunt Celestia would love to meet you.”

Pyreite got to his hooves. “Alright. Where are we going?”

“I think a place called Starrick Manufacturing,” Cadence said getting ready to go. Pyreite didn’t move. “Uh Pyreite.”

“I SURE DAMN HOPE YOUR AUNT ISN’T ANOTHER PIECE OF GREEDY SLIME!”

“What?”

“Gods damn stallions like Yaridovich.”

“What’s wrong?”

“Yaridovich is a damn greedy piece of work. He’s the bastard I use to work for. He’s a stingy business stallion who’s at least partially responsible for the slums here in Stalliongrad.”

“I’m sorry Pyreite. But we can still.”

“No. Prolonging it like this will only make it harder. Please just go Cadence.”

“Pyreite I…”

“LEAVE. Do I have to hammer the words into your head?!”

Cadence sighed. “Very well. Can you at least walk with me there?”

“No. It’s just a short distance from here anyway. You can see it from here. Just head north.” Cadence stared at Pyreite before closing her eyes and gliding down. She landed on the street before trotting to Starrick Manufacturing. The young filly felt she needed a bit of time to calm down before seeing her aunt. Back at the clock tower Pyreite sobbed into his sleeve; the knowledge that the only pony who had been kind to him was going away, potentially forever.













(Pyreite)

I hate lies, yet believed.

You would always be with me.

When with you, I found fun.

But my pain was left undone.

And now you’re gone and from my eyes, tears stream.

But you’ll always be in my heart and dreams





(Cadence)

Know, I’ll be by your side, until the very end.

No matter what happens know I’ll always be your friend.



(Pyreite)
Please don’t leave me behind
Can’t I just win this one time?


(Cadence)
Tears will ease

One’s sorrow.

But I can’t

Let this pain go.



(Cadence & Pyreite)

I don’t want. To let go,

Guess I’ll always be alone.









“So do we have a deal Celestia?”

Celestia gazed at the red unicorn stallion with a brown mane. His mane was combed back in an elegant manner. He wore a button up vest with a brown leather overcoat. A smile adorned his face and his green eyes met Celestia’s with anticipation. “I won’t deny. This technology is quite impressive. But I don’t see why we’d need any of this in Equestria. Even if the need arises we have industry of our own. I’ve many local sources to get us the industry we need should the need arise.”

“Come now Celestia. Equestria could benefit from such industry. We all must grow with our advancements.”

“Must we? Too much evolution too fast brings inevitable destruction.”

“I would advise you at least give some time to reconsider this offer your eminence,” said Yaridovich’s advisor.

Celestia turned to him. He was a tall black unicorn with red eyes. “Would you now? What was your name again?”

“Oh highness, I keep names strictly for business. I’m not part of this business deal.”

“Well forgive me but this isn’t truly something I wish to be part of.”

“Then how about resources?” The advisor suggested. “We need more of them for the company. Could Equestria become a potential trade hub?”

“I see no harm in that.”

“Excellent. We will begin personally buying from Equestria as soon as we can,” Yaridovich said. “Mr. G. How much will the costs be for the shipping and transportation of the materials?”

“Does it really matter? Remember I’m the one who’s funding you for the time being. I’ll be the one to calculate, evaluate, and execute the sales here.”

“He’s your advisor and a patron?” Celestia asked.

“Yes. Mr. G has been vital to the success of Starrick Manufacturing.”

“If you have that much money already why would you even work at all?”

“Well highness, that’s rather complicated. It’s like this; I…”

The black stallion was cut off as the door to the room opened. “Aunt Celestia I…oh am I interrupting this?” Cadence asked.

“A bit yes, but that’s alright child,” Yaridovich said trying to hide his annoyed tone.

“Ah Cadence. Did you enjoy the city?”

“Yes indeed Aunt Celestia.”

“Wonderful to hear. I’m almost done here. Just a little longer.”

“I’m glad you were able to make it here. You must be good with directions to find your way through the complex so easily.”

“I got directions from a white pegasus in robes.”

“Robes you say,” Yaridovich said a bit puzzled. “Was he in the building?”

“Yes.”

“Hmm. I don’t believe someone like that was going to have a meeting with me today. And all employees must wear their uniforms.”

“Shall I deploy security to do a sweep?” the advisor asked.

“I’m sure it’s fine. Would you kindly give Celestia the paperwork?”

“Of course. Your highness, just sign these papers so we can confirm our business arrangement,” the black stallion said giving Celestia some paperwork.

Celestia took a quill pin he was holding with his magic and began signing the papers. He watched her with anticipation as the ink marked the paper. “Do you mind?” Celestia said a bit agitated.

“My apologies,” the stallion said bowing. He turned his eyes from the princess while she filled in the paperwork. His gaze fell on the pink filly standing behind her aunt. Their eyes met for a split second before she moved behind Celestia’s hind legs. The stallion lightly trotted up to her with a look of curiosity. “What an INTERESTING cutie mark dear.”

“H-huh,” Cadence said looking back up at the stallion. “Thanks I guess…”

“What does it mean?”

“Done,” Celestia said giving the paperwork back to Yaridovich.

“Thank you for you patronage highness. I promise you won’t regret it.”

“I hope not. Come on Cadence we’re heading back to Canterlot.”

“Wait, Aunt Celestia. I made a friend. I wanted to get him something -- just as a little gift before we head off. Is that alright?”

“Of course Cadence,” Celestia said with a smile.

Cadence embraced her aunt’s forelegs. “Now to figure out where to get something.”

“Try the museum, they sell little curios that should suffice,” Yaridovich said.

“Thanks,” Cadence said before she and Celestia trotted out the door.


“Well, that went well I think,” Yaridovich said.

“I would say so. Hmm.”

“Something wrong Ghast?”

“I’m fine,” Ghast said with a sigh.

“Say, I have to ask. You tried to explain to me why you aren’t just living your life like a rich stallion with all this money. Explain that again.”

“Yari, I’m making a future. And you’re helping me make that future. First comes an age of unrest, then comes an age of revolt, then an age of war, and then an age of divination. We turned chaos to order and formed unity amongst ourselves. And so Cain came down from the heavens and took up residence in the Land of Nod. But enough of this, you’ve done much to help us work toward that goal and you will do much more. One important step to our great leap forward has been made. I propose a toast,” Ghast said pulling out a bottle of wine. “To Starrick Manufacturing and to our Father.”

“…Very well then,” Yaridovich said giving cheers to Ghast. The two drank and set their glasses down on the table before them. Ghast sighed taking a seat. Seconds later he got to his hooves in a rush and looked around the room almost franticly. “Something wrong Ghast?”

“No. No everything’s fine. Yari I have to go, I’ve got some business to attend to. I’ll be back soon.” With that Ghast took his leave.








“Hmm, yes this may work out after all,” Ghast said looking over his shoulder periodically. “Yes two birds with one stone.”

Ghast checked out of Starrick Manufacturing and trotted into the city. As he made his way to the carriage-parking center a white colt approached him. “Excuse me sir.”

“Hmm?” Ghast said looking down at the colt. He felt a mild chill run down his spine but hid his shock. “Yes child what is it?”

“I-I’m sorry to bother you but I’m looking for someone, she’s a pink filly, uh has both a horn and wings. I know that seems really strange but have you seen her?”

Ghast smiled lightly. “Why yes my child. You just missed her.”

“Oh,” Pyreite said glumly.

“But I know she was heading to the museum. If you go there now you might be able to catch her. But you’d better hurry. Here,” Ghast said giving Pyreite a few bits. “This should get you into the museum.”

“Thank you. Thank you mister…”

“You can call me Ghast.” Pyreite didn’t respond. “Something wrong child?” The silence continued. “Cat got your tongue.”

Pyreite stared wide-eyed at the stallion towering over him. Their eyes locked as they stared back at each other unwavering. The white colt shuddered as his ears folded back. “W-what…what are you!?”

Ghast chuckled to himself. “The demon that comes when you call its name. Lust, Greed, Pride, Power, and FEAR.” Pyreite turned and galloped away as Ghast laughed at the colt’s fear. “My oh my, three birds in one stone! That damn bloodhound, that foal linked with the crystal heart, and the only threat to Nod there really is. “Forgive me for this Father Cain, but I for one would like to see how much fate is going to determine our success.”

Ghast approached his carriage and motioned for a pair of stallions. The two galloped to the carriage and hooked themselves up to it. “Where to sir?”

“The museum please.”

“Very well sir, we’ll get you there post haste.






“Is that all dear?”

“Yes,” Cadence said giving the cashier five bits. She grabbed the snow globe of Stalliongrad and looked carefully at it. It was simple but she hoped Pyreite would like it. “Thank you.”

“Say, did you enjoy the museum?”

“Well I didn’t actually take the time to look around,” Cadence said a bit sheepish.

“You come to a museum and don’t even look around. It doesn’t take long, just tour around a little bit why don’t you.”

“Oh alright,” Cadence said taking the snow globe and heading out of the gift shop. She found a nearby touring group and fell into the crowd. The tour guide showed the group around the museum while explaining the various exhibits. Cadence broke from the group to get some water from a nearby fountain. As she drank the piercing shriek of an alarm filled her ears followed by several panicked screams. Cadence galloped towards the commotion to see what the distress was about. The pink filly moved past a group of ponies galloping away; when they cleared she saw what they were running from. The room before her was almost completely engulfed in fire. As Cadence began to back up an explosion from behind her rocked the entire structure of the museum. Cadence got to her hooves and galloped down the flight of stairs to the third floor. More of the museum below was fleeing from the chaos above. As she approached the next staircase another explosion shook the museum foundation. A nearby support beam collapsed along with several chunks of debris, blocking the staircase. Cadence tried to move the debris with her magic but it proved too heavy for her to move at a decent rate. She backed up looking franticly around to find a way out. The flames had already spread through most of the building and began to consume what was still untouched. Cadence remembered seeing a window on the fourth floor. Thinking she could use it to escape she galloped back up the stairs trying to remember where it was. The pink filly came to split in the path, the corridor turned left and right. Cadence took a deep breath and galloped down the right path. Smoke stung her eyes and lungs as she hurried through the hall. As she turned the corner she came to a large rotunda. Cadence quickly turned around to try the other path. As she did another explosion from below destabilized the floor. The floor gave way beneath the pink foal. As she fell her scarf got snagged on a piece of the support of the broken floor. Cadence cried out in pain from the fall. Her right foreleg and wing stung from the debris she landed on. She struggled to her hooves and tried to move forward. The pink foal limped into what was left of the sculpture room of the museum. The statues around the room were scorched and burnt beyond recognition. Cadence saw another spot where the upper floor had caved in. Knowing she had to reach the higher floor she spread her wings and took flight. She didn’t make it far before the pain in her wing caused her crash back into the floor. Cadence got to her hooves and stared at the passage up in the ceiling. She turned to a marble column that used to hold the bust of someone. Hoping to use it as a boost to the higher floor she fluttered up and landed atop it. Cadence panted heavily. The exhaustion from the pain as well as the smoke was beginning to take its toll on her. After three minutes she the pain had subsided and she positioned herself on the edge and took a deep breath. As she opened her wings further debris fell from the ceiling. Cadence moved back trying to avoid it but not without losing her balance on the column. She grabbed at the edge of the column trying to pull herself back up. The column began to shift due to the weight of the pink filly. Cadence’s eyes widened as the column began to tilt and fall over. She let go of the column and fell to the ground landing on her bad leg. Pushing the pain aside her attention turned to the column coming down on her. She concentrated her magic trying to push it away but the most she could do was stymie its fall. The column came down on Cadence, pinning the pink filly to the ground. She grunted from the pain as she tried to push the column off, to no avail. Cadence looked franticly around the room for anything she could use to pry the column off her, to which nothing presented itself. Tears filled the young foal’s eyes as she desperately pushed the column. “H-help,” Cadence coughed. “Please, someone help!”









“Are you sure he’s here?”

“Positive.”

“And hunting him like this is a good idea?”

“Ghast is one of the Brothers of Nod. He’s a serious threat. I’ve seen first hand what he can do. That day, The Day of Plunder; I saw what they were all capable of.”

“And now you want me to face this fiend alone, a unicorn of unfathomable power versus a Pegasus? Can’t say this is looking that good for me.”

“You won’t be facing him alone William. I’ll be with you every step of the way,” the Mother said reassuring. “My strength may be weakened but I have more than enough magic to stand up to Ghast.”

“Gods I hope you’re right, else we’re both doomed.”

William trotted through the sub level maintenance area of the museum trying to track Ghast. “I can still feel his presence nearby. He’s not far.”

“How wonderful. Say what happens if a worker, or staff member sees me down here?”

“…Why haven’t we seen any workers?”

“That’s a good question now that I think of it. They can’t all be on coffee break can…”

“P-please help,” a staff member begged wrapping his forelegs around William’s right leg. “S-some unicorn. He killed all of us.”

William watched the stallion slowly let go of his leg and die before his eyes. “Ghast. He’ll pay for this!”

“Easy now William, calm yourself. If you can’t concentrate Ghast will destroy you.”

“I know. I’ll be careful.”

William continued through the maintenance area, following the trail of corpses and blood. After five minutes he found the black unicorn sitting atop the museum’s heating unit. He strapped a satchel of some kind to one of the pipes on it and gazed at a roll of paper showing various diagrams. “Hmm, yes, according to these blueprints that should do it. With the gas inside the ventilation units it should be faint enough that others won’t detect it but flammable enough to still cause a flash fire. Plus the extra charges I placed in the support structures should see the job done. Now I guess its time for the waiting game.”

“Ghast!”

“Huh, waiting game’s over already, perfect!”

“Face me Ghast, may this day be your last.”

“Eager as ever I see, you’ve dogged my steps for quite some time now and I’m tired of looking over my shoulder hoping not to be brought down by the tricks of a filthy Uralian pony. Now that you’re here I can crush you on my own. I’m thinking of opening up a new exhibit here in the museum. I’ll call it, ‘The works of Ghast.’ My blade is the brush, your blood is the paint, the floors and the walls are the canvas.”

“You think us weak Ghast. That will be your folly.”

“I can’t completely judge you, but considering that you can’t even naturally use magic I think that speaks for itself. As for the Mother, well, I watched her strike down Cain, I watched her hold her spear above his head ready to strike him down, I watched her show mercy, and I watched her face the consequences for showing it. She wields her blade like a mare, but her heart like a foal! And because of that she will always be weaker than us.”

“Care to put that to the test Ghast!?”

Ghast chuckled. “Be happy to.” The black stallion concentrated his magic and formed a long scythe before leaping to the ground below. A golden aurora surrounded William and formed a spear. Ghast wasted no time, charging straight at the white pegasus. William blocked with his spear and pushed Ghast back. “I was killing sentinels of the Mother while your great, great, great, ancestors were sucking on their hooves as infants. What makes you think you’d do any better than they would?”

“We’ll end you for your sins!” William said as six spheres of magic formed around him.

He slammed his hooves on the ground and the spheres were fired at Ghast. Ghast laughed and slashed at the spheres, which exploded on impact with his scythe. “You baffle me, you know.”

“How, not used to being defied!?”

“In part that’s it,” Ghast said clashing with William locking him in a power struggle. “We destroyed your world. We destroyed your city. We destroyed your race. We destroyed your Promised Land. Father Cain has torn from everyone else their will, home, their hope itself. Yet you feel you need to struggle on. You have nothing left to live for; yet still you fight, why?”

“Because no one else will!” William said pushing Ghast back.

“We’ll see where that gets you.”

Ghast caught William’s spear in the curve of his scythe and pulled hard to the right. The white pegasus lost his balance and Ghast took the opportunity to dig his blade into William’s right wing. The pegasus cringed as Ghast ripped his blade out. His wing was now a mess of blood and feathers. The two continued to clash. “Keep calm William!” The Mother said not sounding at all calm.

“Use the Magi orbiters!”

“We can’t. As much as I’d love to we can’t do it without having tp publicly fight Ghast. Too many will know something is going on and we can’t let bystanders get hit.”

“We’re doomed then. As much as I hate to say it I’d rather run from him at this point.”

“Talking to your false god priest? What is she telling you? Is she telling you to come, to your Promised Land? Let me send you there!” William leapt back breaking the power lock between him and Ghast. The two gazed at each other before simultaneously illuminating their horns. As they built up magic an explosion rocked the room they were in and broke their concentration. Ghast turned his head to the heating unit, which was now in flames. “I really should have put the timer for a bit longer. What a pity,” Ghast sighed. “I could still kill you, but not quickly enough to put respectable distance between me and this fire. I’m afraid we’ll have to settle this some other day, priest, as I doubt you’re willing to simply come find a place to continue this with that wound. And that we both would like to not catch the eye of the public.” Ghast’s scythe dissipated and the black stallion trotted the way he came.

“W-wait!” William called out. Ghast gave no response as he continued on his way. “What should we do?”

“He’s right. Neither of us can afford to continue fighting here. Besides we need to get out of here and get that wound tended to.”

“What about the others here?”

“I’m not even sure you have what it takes to get yourself out of here. We don’t have the time or strength to help anyone else.” William grunted before dissipating his spear and galloping off to escape the museum.








Pyreite trotted through the halls of the museum, his head turning semi rapidly. He had never been in the museum before and while the art looked quite intriguing he had someone to find. “Cadence…Cadence…”

“Shh,” one of the museum tour guides said hushing the white colt.

“Sorry.”

“Shh.”

“Sorry,” Pyreite whispered. Pyreite continued searching for the pink filly, checking the halls and exhibits on the upper floors. After six minutes of running around the museum like an urchin Pyreite sat down and sighed. “Look at yourself Pyreite.” The white foal said to himself placing his right front hoof on his face. “You’re galloping about like a lost colt searching for his mother. You don’t even know if she’s here anymore; hell she might never have been here. That creep may have just lied to me. Time to go home.” Pyreite got to his hooves and made his way down the hall. He sniffed the air; an odd smell filled the room that tingled the colt’s nose. It smelled just faintly like the scent of sulfur or something rotting. As he contemplated this the sounds of an alarm filled his ears followed by the sound of hooves galloping down the hall. Pyreite ducked behind a corner and watched as the group of ponies galloped by. Normally he would have left anywhere that he heard screams but he found it more than curious as to what would be so terrifying in a museum. He poked his head around the corner and saw the source of the terror. A flash fire had started and was spreading quickly. Pyreite shrugged and trotted through the flames. He took the time to look at the exhibits just because he knew he was in no danger. As he smiled a thought chilled him to the bone. (Damn, what if they think I started this fire.) Pyreite turned to where he came from and began to gallop down the path as the others who had fled. He moved down several floors before stopping to catch his breath. The fire was spreading quite quickly. He remembered the smell from before and knew it was some kind of gas he’d seen used for heating. This fire was no accident but he didn’t really care so long as he didn’t get the blame. He looked at the nearby map to find the closest exit. “Alright, so I’m in the conquest treasure exhibit, all I have to do is make my way down a few floors and I’ll be home free. No one will be able to link me to this fire and…” Pyreite stopped as he turned to face the museum’s treasures. The fire was spreading rapidly across the exhibits consuming all that it could. “It’s not like leaving it there would do any good,” Pyreite said trotting towards the gleaming gemstones and gold. “This will only get destroyed by the blaze. I-isn’t it right to make sure it lives on?” Pyreite grabbed a small bit of the treasure and slid it into his robe pocket. “I’ve earned this,” he said to himself filling his pockets. “This damn city has given my nothing. And it’s not like I’m keeping it for myself. I’ll see it back to them…for a price.” Pyreite snickered before leaping off the exhibit. He followed the path the map had shown leading to the nearest exit. The museum had begun collapsing and he knew it was better to get out before he got crushed under debris. As he turned the corner something caught his eye. On a hole in the ceiling a blue scarf smoldered. Pyreite grabbed it with his magic and examined it closely. “T-this scarf.”

“H-help. Please, someone help!”

Pyreite galloped down the hall, following the plea. “Cadence! Cadence.” The white colt galloped into the sculpture wing of the museum. “Cadence,” Pyreite said galloping towards the filly trapped under a column. “Cadence, are you hurt?”

“Pyreite! I-I’m fine. W-what are you doing here?” Cadence asked in amazement.

“Not important, hold on.”

Pyreite placed his forelegs under the column trying to pull it up. He concentrated his magic and added it but the column wouldn’t budge. “Pyreite, just go. Don’t die here trying to save me.”

“Cadence, use your magic. I just need a little more come on don’t give up.” Cadence concentrated her magic and helped lift the column. As it moved up Pyreite crawled under it and used his back to push it up further allowing the pink foal enough room to crawl out. With Cadence safe Pyreite let the column go. “You alright, can you run?”

“My leg got injured. I don’t think I can…”

Cadence was cut off as Pyreite grabbed her and threw her on his back. “Hold on,” Pyreite warned as he galloped onward.

“Pyreite.”

“Save your strength Cadence.” Pyreite galloped down a flight of stairs and turned into the next hall. It looked as though a sea of fire had engulfed the corridor. “Brace yourself Cadence.”

“W-what!? Pyreite we’ll…”

“We’ll be okay, trust me.”

Pyreite took a deep breath before darting through the fire. The flames wrapped around the white colt’s legs but caused him no harm. Once they were at the end of the fire Pyreite collapsed in exhaustion. “Pyreite, go on, I don’t want you to die here please!”

“NO! I’m not abandoning you! Cadence my life isn’t worth a rusty bit. Chances are I’ll get mugged, starve, freeze, or jump off a building in despair. But you, you have hope. You have a reason to draw breath. You have someone who loves you. You have someone whose world would turn to ruin if they lost you. If my death means you’ll live. THEN I’LL BURN WITH A SMILE.” The white colt got to his hooves and staggered onward. “We’re almost on the ground floor, just a little further.” Pyreite stopped as he approached the broken staircase. The entire flight of stairs was gone, replaced with a twenty-eight foot drop. “D-damn it,” Pyreite cursed.

He placed Cadence on the ground before pounding the wall in fury. “P-Pyreite,” Cadence whimpered.

‘We aren’t dying here. I’ll think of something, we’ll find a way, we’ll…” Pyreite stopped as he saw a small set of cracks in the wall.

He concentrated his magic and fired several bolts of magic at the wall. “W-what are you doing!?” Cadence asked concerned.

“I…just…need…to…” With one final bolt Pyreite blew a hole in the wall. “THERE.” Pyreite gazed down towards the river outside. “I technically prefer the thought of dying in a fire than freezing but this is our best bet.”

Pyreite grabbed Cadence and threw her on his back once again. “Pyreite. What are you doing?”

“Hold your breath Cadence. The last thing you want is a lung full of THAT water.”

“Pyreite. What are you…” Cadence got her answer as the white colt leapt from the newly made hole in the wall to the river below. Cadence quickly took a deep breath as the two plummeted into the river. Cadence felt every muscle in her body constrict from the frigid water. She felt as though the air was ripped from her very lungs. Slowly she found herself unable to move her front hooves as she let go of Pyreite. The white colt noticed this and quickly grabbed her by her waist as he swam to the surface. The two took a deep breath but wasted not a split second more before swimming to shore. Pyreite pulled the pink filly onto the snow bank. “Y-y-you a-alright Cadence,” Pyreite shivered.

“T-that burning building…I-it looks real…cozy right n-n-now.”

Pyreite chuckled as he formed a small flame in his right hoof. He held it close to Cadence giving a bit of warmth to the shaking filly. Cadence smiled as a wave of warmth washed over her freezing body. Gently she rested her head on Pyreite’s left foreleg as she tried to relax and dry off.









“You sure you can walk?”

“Yeah, I’m fine now. The pain is gone.” Cadence said reassuringly.

“Glad to hear that.”

“P-Pyreite. You saved my life. I…I don’t even know what to say.”

“You don’t have to say anything. I’d have helped you even if it meant I’d die. Seeing you’re safe and well is all I need.”

“What were you doing in the museum anyway?”

“Looking for you actually. I…I wanted to say one last goodbye to you. What were you doing there?”

“I was getting you a little something actually. I dropped it when I was fleeing for my life but…”

“Oh Cadence,” Pyreite said pulling the pink filly into an embrace.

“Cadence!!”

Cadence turned to the voice and galloped to her Aunt. “Aunt Celestia,” Cadence cried as she embraced the white mare.

“When I saw the museum ablaze I…I feared the worst. Thank goodness that wasn’t the case.”

“I’m fine, a little bruised but fine. But I’d be dead if it weren’t for my friend here.”

Celestia turned to the white colt watching the two. “I assume you’re the one she’s speaking of.”

“Yes highness,” Pyreite said bowing to the alicorn.

“That’s not needed. You saved my niece after all did you not. That’s quite valorous of you.”

“Please, you flatter me your majesty. I did what any good soul would do if they were in my position. I’m no hero.”

“Noble and modest. Equis could use more ponies like you. I hope your parents are proud of you; they have a lot of reason to be.”

“That’s my one hope. That they look down on me and smile at the decisions I’ve made.”

“Look down?”

“Aunt Celestia he has no parents! They died long ago. He won’t survive here for long. Please. He saved my life, we have to at least take him back to Canterlot to get better help.”

“C-Cadence you don’t need to do that. Honest you don’t”

“NO! You saved my life; now let me save yours.”

“Cadence I…”

“I’ve heard enough!” Celestia almost bellowed. “Young one, what is your name?”

“P-Pyreite,” the foal stuttered intimidated by the mare standing tall before him.

“Pyreite. You are coming back with us to Canterlot. I’ll see to it personally that you are properly taken care of, I’ll raise you my own. You wouldn’t want to disappoint Cadence now would you?”

The white colt stared at the warm purple eyes of the Alicorn standing before him. He galloped toward her and embraced her legs before sobbing into her fur. Celestia smiled lowering her head and nuzzling the colt. Cadence wrapped her forelegs around the two of them joining the embrace. “It’ll be like you’re my brother,” Cadence said smiling brightly.

“Y-your brother,” Pyreite repeated a bit confused.

“Well yeah. If Aunt Celestia is raising you then in a way you’re my brother. Now that I say that, I guess that makes her Mother Celestia to you.”

“M-Mother,” Celestia repeated blushing a bit. She looked down at Pyreite’s blue eyes staring back at her. “Well. If you’d like that then, yes, you may call me Mother. We’ll be heading off soon. If there’s anything you feel you should do before you leave Stalliongrad then I would recommend getting it done now.”

“I suppose there is one thing.”

“We’ll be waiting for you at the train station.”

“I won’t be late.” With that Pyreite galloped off to do one final deed.







“And then Cadence, that horrible chapter of my life was over. You showed me, that evil, is just a word. Under the skin, it’s simple pain. Seeing you again now has reminded me of a mantra this war had made me believe was false. That mercy is victory. To sacrifice, to endure, and if given the chance, forgive; always. I forgave Vostok for what he did. On that day the world gave me a gift I could never truly pay it back for. So I did the best I could. I gave what I ‘recovered’ from the museum, to the river district. They were able to rebuild the schoolhouse. There are those that believe this world of ours to be irredeemable. But they’re wrong Cadence. We are paradise; you and I. And in forgiving; we leave the door open for them.” Peryite gently placed his hoof on Cadence’s forehead and smiled. “Another horrible chapter of my life is over. One without you. In waking from my nightmare I was reborn; as this. Perhaps the world was not ready for us, for my Union; yet here we are. I was once told the reasonable stallion adapts to change, and the unreasonable stallion tried to change the world to how he feels it should be; therefore the future depends on the unreasonable stallion. I suppose that makes me unreasonable. It would be so easy to misjudge them. You are my sister Cadence; and I need you to stand by me.” Peryite lightly nuzzled his nose with Cadence and smiled. “You will always, be with me now Cadence. And when I need you, you’ll be there by my side. If utopia is not a place, but a populace. Then we must choose carefully, for the world is about to change. And in our story, Equestria; will be just the beginning.