• Published 1st May 2012
  • 1,341 Views, 21 Comments

My Little Lantern: Eventide Star - Shepard1707



Twilight Sparkle finds a magical meteorite and forges from it a ring and a lantern.

  • ...
0
 21
 1,341

Prologue pt 2: Twilight's Notes

Twilight's Log: Entry #1

This is my documentation of my observations and process as I examine the meteorite fragments I recovered from the crash site earlier this morning. Precise time unavailable, however I estimate it to be approximately twenty minutes after samples impacted the earth, which I record as occurring at 6:00 am, Tuesday, May 1st, Year of our Princess 3 AL.

There are two samples. Sample A is 6"x4"x5" in rough dimensions, with a distinctly crystalline structure. Sample B is smaller, fitting easily within an inch cubed area. Precise measurements are too long for these notations and will be included in the margin as necessary. Both samples are only slightly translucent and have a green color to them. Their weight is surprisingly imperceptible, and prove difficult to measure.

My first observations after such continue to explore their physical properties. I estimate a hardness of 10 for each, which is, needless to say, impressive. I may have to borrow some diamonds from Rarity in order to confirm this, but all attempts to scratch or scrape off some material from both samples has proven to be quite futile.

Though the samples' weights cannot be measured, I can feel their weight, both with magic and with my hoof and mouth. It defies all reason, infact, that sample A feels as though it should weigh around 1 pound, whereas sample B feels as though it should weigh an appropriate fraction of that to it's size (I regret to say that I am not skilled enough to determine it's weight simply by lifting it, and would have to use a scale to confirm this. As both samples seem to refuse to be weighted on a scale, that seems an impossiblity).

Further examinations of their light refracting properties already prove just as difficult. One moment they are opaque and a dull green, the next they seem to glow with a bright, inner green light, then become opaque once again, but are almost obsidian in their darkness. Both samples do, however, seem to still be tied somehow, as they will have matching colors, opaqueness, and luminosity (which, also and just as frustratingly, refuses to be quantified).

I'm loath to perform further experiments until I have better equipment. It's entirely possible that that's the main cause of all this disruption.

Entry #2

I got the diamond from Rarity. I had to give her sample B to get it, but since it's obviously a chip off of sample B, I don't have many reservations about that. I'll just limit my testing to small areas until I figure out how to take chips out of the sample, and then I'll be able to get to business.

So far my tests have been... still infuriating, but incredibly fascinating. The crystal appears to be entirely resistant to all bases and acids. Attempts to cut it with diamond, a torch, all manner of things, have proven entirely futile. I'm now waiting for a heavy duty pressure cutter to be open for testing at the Canterlot Royal University. When I go there, I might see what other equipment is free so I can perform a wide range of tests.

I will unlock the secrets of this thing.

Entry #3

My trip to CRU has proven even more expensively fruitless than I could have hoped. The stone very tenaciously refuses to be influenced by any outside force save the laws of motion and even those it obeys only inconsistently! I push it, throw it, move it through the air, but any attempt to quantify it's very existence with anything other than my own two eyes is impossible! As though science itself cannot grasp such an object.

. . .

Of Course! Why didn't I see it before! Though magic is itself not unquantifiable, it has been proven before that certain magical forces (such as those of love and friendship) aren't easily, if at all, measurable. Unfortunately, I don't have much time to fit in for such experimentation for a week or so, but I'll be sure to make time for it once I can.

Entry #4

Finally! I've had an effect! My first test was just a simple enforcing of my magic aura on that of the crystal. Doing so seems to have altered it's coloration to more similarly match mine. I believe this is indicative of an ability to 'magically harmonize' and thus a capacity to bond to a specific person who enacts their will upon the crystal (obviously a unicorn, I don't believe that a pegasus or earth pony would be able to focus their magical energies enough to create such a reaction.)

It's regrettable that I can't change it back, however, if my hypothesis proves correct, that may have been a moot effort anyway. Previous observation had indicated that the smaller sample was already harmonized with the larger one. It would be a simple task to just ask Rarity if the crystal changed color next time I see her.

In the mean time, I shall continue to endeavor to further, understand the crystal. I just know I'm on the verge of a major breakthrough, I can almost taste it.

Entry #5

I BROKE IT!!! I didn't mean to! Really I didn't!

I just enacted a simple fire spell on it! I'd been trying multiple different magical effects on it over the past week or so, with usually only temporary results (unlike the color change, it has still yet to change color), but the fire caused it to just up and burst into flame!


Entry #6

Hold on. My earlier hysterics were... unfounded. While it still hasn't returned to crystalline form the... flame continues to burn. It isn't hot, nor does it actually 'burn' anything. It just exists. Coloration matches that of my magical aura, though slightly more intense. It's a bit like the colors of sunset, and is, I admit, quite pretty to watch. The flame is... strangely, moveable. It cannot spread, but I can lift it and carry it with my magic, and it will settle harmlessly on any surface I place it on. I think it might be drawing fuel from a some connected magical source. Likely yet another property of that 'harmonization' I noted earlier.

It's... really, really beautiful. Hypnotizing, really. I've placed it in a lantern to keep it safe, just in case something does manage to blow it out.



Twilight yawned and closed her notebook. It had been an eventful day for the young mare, and she'd endured plenty of stress. The fire burned gently in it's little lantern, filling the space inside with it's purple and violet light. Once again Twilight found herself entranced by it's beauty, and had to pull herself away from it, giggling.

"Don't you worry, you rascally flame, you. I'll figure you out yet." She said with a smile, writing a little note warning Spike or anyone else not to put out the fire, and then climbing upstairs to bed.

Comments ( 9 )

:moustache: Very good show sir! Does this mean a Grundy Pony?

so, as far as I can say, I cant really predict wich lantern she will be using, for the looks of it I think it will be iehter the Violet, Indigo or the Blue

530058
None of them. This is the Alan Scott GL. Powered by the Starheart, not by the Oan power battery

Three Times Shall I Flame, Death, Life, and Power, if I remember right. Well. This? This ought to be really interesting.

For those NOT versed in GL Lore? You know how the Rings are the Most Powerful Weapons In The Universe? How Hal and Kyle have created living breathing constructs, how Kyle once made one that looked like an actual Person admittedly he was starting to tap Ion there, but still, and Hal once recreated a city of millions AND all it's residents for at least several minutes? And how John has come close to RECREATING A PLANET?

....Yeah. Alan can smack down all of them when it comes to power without any effort. Combined. The only reason he DOESN'T fix all the worlds problems is because he's worried about basically turning evil with all that power. He COULD fix all the world's problems and make everyone be nice, but he WANTS TO STAY HUMAN. At least as human as you can be when you've got the power to do anything you can imagine.

a> run update.exe

584114
ERROR 404 UPDATE.EXE IS NOT FOUND

568524
...aside form the whole wood thing:ajsmug:
In all seriousness, I really wish that Alan Scott was used more often. He's awesome, and anyone that has a cape like that deserves a cartoon.

4664068 Indeed. As far as I know, outside of a non-speaking cameo in "Justice League: the New Frontier" and an analogue in two episodes of "Justice League: the Animated Series", I'm pretty sure Alan's only animated appearance to date was in one episode of "Batman: the Brave and the Bold" (though I admit I COULD be wrong about that). I agree Alan DOES deserve more respect than that.

Hey there. Thanks very much for getting this next chapter up. I really appreciate you going to the effort. I LOVED the emotional content in Twi's journal entries. I will definitely be looking forward to more of this as soon as time and inspiration will allow.

Login or register to comment