• Published 30th Apr 2012
  • 4,689 Views, 102 Comments

Consort of The Sun - PrometheusDark



Fear could drive him away, but it could also drive them together.

  • ...
4
 102
 4,689

The Dawn of Battle

This day had to be the best he had in weeks. Celestia's sun shone brightly overhead, bird songs broke through the springtime air, and most importantly, he was going to help Rarity find gems later. Spike inhaled the fresh air outside the musty library, he just knew it was going to be a good day.

“Spike! Are you ready for our date, darling?” Rarity seemed to appear out of thin air, but that didn't register to Spike. The way she fluttered her eyelashes at him made his heart melt in his chest. He would do anything for her, he was just putty in her hooves. Wait, did she say date? Spike felt his melted heart solidify in an instant, only for it to leap into his throat and block any words that would have left his mouth.

“Be careful, you two.” Twilight said as she trotted over the clouds. Spike didn't even know she was there, listening. He felt his face burn with embarrassment.

“Do be gentle with those sapphires, dear.” Rarity bossed, waving a hoof lazily in the air as she leaned against the cart, filled to the brim with an assortment of gems already. Spike wasn't very sure when he got here, everything seemed to blur together. He decided that it was just the effect of being with Rarity, just one of the things she did to him. She was like a drug to him, and he couldn't get enough.

“How's the wine here?” Spike asked, she took another sip and smiled at him.

“It's perfect, Spike. But something has been bugging me, how ever did you afford this?” She gestured with a hoof toward the wall. Spike assumed she meant the fancy restaurant they were now enjoying dinner at. He spared no expense, even though he had no idea when he got there.

“That's a secret.” He winked at her, causing her to giggle. Now was his chance. “Rarity, there's something I wanted to ask you for years now.” He spoke carefully, the words he had rehearsed in the mirror for ages. Though the mare was starting to look worried, he ignored that and pushed on.

“Rarity, I've loved you since as long as I can remember. Will you be my marefriend?” It was a request that was often asked by teenage colts when they fancied a mare, an innocent request that struck a cord in most. Rarity had heard it too many times before this night, and she felt like the floor had given out under her. She tried, unsuccessfully at first, to compose herself. Spike waiting for her answer eagerly, though he didn't let it show, his demeanor so calm.

“Spike, darling, you know that I love you.” It was a strange choice of words, given how she sounded. Sadness was in her voice, regret, not the joy he was expecting. “But, you're a dragon. I'm a mare. There's no way we would work.” She looked away from him, unable to meet his eyes. “I think I should go.” She dropped a few bits on the table, not nearly enough to pay for even her portion of the meal.


Spike was in an unusual place, he realized, not his room in the library. Wherever he was, it was very plush, and very comfortable. His face had the crust of dried tears, he assumed he had been crying in his sleep. He knew the dream wasn't the exact recollection of what happened that day, in fact the date with Rarity never happened, but it was close enough to drive his sorrow. He didn't feel like getting out of bed, he didn't even care where he was. The dragon just wanted to wither away where he lay. That was, however, not to be.

Celestia pushed the door to one of the many guest rooms opened as quietly as she could. It was where she had placed Spike the night before. She took a quick peek inside to find the drake still slumbering between the sheets. As she trotted inside she watched his chest rise and fall slowly with each breath. He was, at first glace, peaceful in his sleep, curled up much like a cat. But when she got close enough she could see the streaks on his face, he must have been crying in his sleep.

“I had no idea that dragons slept so much.” He heard a voice and a laugh that made his chest tight, he couldn't remember where he heard it before, at least not at first. “Come now, out of bed.” A hoof touched his arm and he was gently shaken. Whoever this was, she was persistent. Spike groaned, he merely turned over and stuck his head under the massive pillow that had been provided.

Celestia sighed morosely, removing her hoof from the dragon's scaly arm and raised it to her chin, taking a position one would associate with hard thinking. How do you wake a dragon who obviously wasn't in any mood to get out of bed? She thought of various methods that she could use, ranging from harmless pranks to outright cruel. She wouldn't dare using any of those. Then she came to one, a sure-fire way to get him up.

She started walking back towards the door, loudly enough to be heard. “I guess I'll just take all these delicious Rubies, I don't know, throw them in the trash.” It was a nice try, he had to admit. This mare was committed to getting him out of this bed. The promise of rubies was a tempting one, but he doubted she had any. He simply sunk deeper into the bed.

The white mare stopped just at the door, lifting a hoof and letting it fall against the wood. She turned her head to look at the dragon who was, much to her displeasure, still sleeping. Celestia let out a groan of frustration, he was being impossible. Maybe she would use of those other pranks. Nothing too serious, maybe the one that involved icy water.

Spike heard the door open. He was safe at last, he could just lay there forever. It wasn't the brightest of plans, but he was ready to see it through. What he didn't realize was that the door never closed, and Celestia was back in a matter of seconds. He heard something slosh about, and just when he was going to open his eyes...

Celestia grinned to herself, she never got to play pranks on anyone but Luna, and even then it wasn't often as her sister had come to expect them. She lifted the bucket with her magic, it wasn't very heavy, and let it drift over the dragon's head. Just as Spike's eyes opened, she tipped the bucket and let its contents spill out onto the drake.

Spike released a shrill scream one would assume came from a little filly, not a teenage dragon, and fumbled around under the covers as the icy water poured over his body and the sheets. His struggle was so great and his claws so sharp that he tore through the blankets, effectively shredding them to ribbons. A wicked thought formed in his mind, he would demanded who would dare do such a thing, maybe try to scare the offender as payback.

Celestia was cackling like a madmare at the sight of Spike's flailing and screaming, she was laughing so loud, in fact, she never heard that the dragon's antics had ceased. Her side's pained her from the laughter, but she ignored it. Anything to make this moment, this happiness, last a little longer.

The dragon rose from the bed, his beheld the princess in all her glory, laughing it up like she had just seen the funniest thing ever, which she probably assumed the sight of him was. He was dumbfounded, who would've thought that Celestia, the ruler of a nation and the very picture of stoic leadership, would play a prank on him. Well, even though it was Celestia, he would still get his revenge. He tried to think fast, what could he possibly do to her to get back at her? He had nothing on hand besides some wet bed-spread and himself.

He grinned maliciously .“You think this is funny, huh?” She tried in vain to stop her torrents of laughter, though she wasn't letting up. Spike lifted the soaked pillow he once hid his head under and jumped off the mattress, the fluffy cloud of destruction poised high above his head. He brought it down in a hammer motion, hitting her softly. The pillow released a squelching noise as it connected with her chest.

Celestia struggled against the feathery onslaught, it was no use, Spike was taking no quarter. She was forced to conjure her magical power to lift the other pillow off the bed and fight back, justifying it as self-defense.


It was a good while before the pair had tired themselves out. The battle was fought valiantly by both sides, but only one could come out on top. Spike was exhausted, but he pushed through with sheer willpower alone. He lifted his pillow, it being changed from stun to kill, he would win this battle. It was, however, not to be. Celestia saw her chance and took it, sending her fluffy weapon into his torso with so much force he fell back, collapsing on the bed.

He raised his hand slowly, reaching for the ceiling. “Celestia, come and heed my final words...” The mare held back a giggle, what did he have planned? Carefully, as if awaiting a trap, she inched closer until she was beside the bed. “Oh, I die, Celestia. I will not live to the 'morrow. I beg of thee, cite my tale, the valiant and the abhorred. The angels, I hear them, they call me. The rest... is silence.” He let out a gag and fell limp.

Celestia lifted her long legs up onto the bed and crawled onto the sheets, lowering herself and laying beside the now dead dragon. “Death, that hath sucked the honey from thy breath, hath no power yet upon thy fair scales.” She couldn't hold it in anymore. She finally burst out laughing again, this time it was more controlled then her previous mad chortling. It wasn't long before Spike joined her, their antics finally over, he sat up and clutched his sides. They laughed for a good while, it felt good, especially after all the stress Spike had been feeling. They took a bit to compose themselves before speaking again. Spike was the first to calm himself.

Spike sighed contently, “I needed that, Princess.”

“No need to thank me, you weren't the only one who enjoyed it.” She winked at him before sliding off the bed. Her hooves touched the tiled floor with a light clop. Little did Spike know that she had needed it as well. Her occupation was far more stressful then anyone realized, and the only one she could confide in was her sister, who would rather play Call of Pony all day then listen to her sister complain about her job.

“I recall there being a promise of rubies.” Spike grinned, Celestia balked, he heard that? The little sneak. She decided another prank was in order, but that would have to wait. She felt peckish as well. According to the clock on the wall it was noon, just after lunch time, and neither had eaten since before the sun even rose that morning.

“Yes, of course. I believe I have sapphires too.” She didn't show it, but she was already plotting against him. Spike eagerly jumped off the bed, landing on the tiled floor and pumping his fist into the air. He was so hungry he could barely contain himself.