• Published 22nd May 2012
  • 15,566 Views, 817 Comments

A Troll Through the Park - Spanner



Twilight and Celestia unwillingly change places for a number of days.

  • ...
40
 817
 15,566

Chapter 2: New Conflict

Chapter 2: New Conflict

(Celestia)

***

Celestia was jarred awake by a blinding glow, visible even with her eyes tightly closed. She was back in her perfect white form, lying in the large royal bed near her sister. The intensity of the shining solar body was making it increasingly hard to see. Celestia leaned forward to squint at the world outside. Luna was staring at her in shock. Some of the royal guards burst in with fear-stricken, disgusted faces. The sun drew closer, causing the trees to spontaneously catch fire like a field of matches. Anything flammable on the surface of the land was cast into a furious blaze.

It was too late for her power to save them. Celestia turned to her dear sister and grasped her in hoof and wing. “Luna! What have I done? I should never have let this happen.”

The ground started to quake and deep fissures opened up, swallowing a few towers of the grand castle. Luna returned the grasp, shuddering a little. Celestia buried her face in the dark blue coat, which helped with the blaring light. The room was shaking more violently now and the windows started to rattle.

“Twilight.” Luna spoke.

“I know. She’s gone now,” the white princess said with deep sorrow.

“Twilight.” The moon goddess said with a bit more force. The rattling was becoming louder with each passing moment.

“I know... you would have liked her. Let’s just be silent... for the end.”

“TWILIGHT!”

Celestia jerked at the anguished cry. Her vision completely failing her in the scorching flames.

“WHY DO YOU KEEP SAYING THAT, I ALREADY FEEL… oh?” Celestia opened her eyes to a view full of purple scales.

What a dream.

“Twilight... can’t... breathe... let... go,” Spike wheezed, gasping for air.

Celestia released her death grip on poor Spike, only to grab him again and violently shake the baby dragon.

“Where is the sun? Why is the window shaking?” The window near the bed still showed nothing but darkness, though it was rattling in a steady rhythm. At least utter blackness is better than that nightmare.

This time Spike was able to work free of the purple hooves. “Uh, Twilight, there is no sun at 5:30 in the morning; the shaking you’re feeling is Vinyl’s dubstep dishwasher, and you have to stop grabbing me. You’re all hot and sweaty.” Spike grabbed the edge of a sheet and wiped at his scales.

“Right... I must go take a shower at once. Wait... why are you waking me at this hour?” 5:30, that leaves Twilight a half hour or so to raise the sun. I believe in you, Twilight.

The unicorn’s purple cheeks flushed red in her filthy state. Celestia knelt down into a catlike stretch beside the bed. Luna usually gets me up at six. I was so used to the guards waking me before.

“Don’t tell me you forgot?” Spike whined, noticing the lack of urgency in Twilight’s actions.

Celestia looked around the room for a clue. If I don’t say something, he will surely—

“I wouldn’t bother with a shower.” He started to bundle up the bed sheets for the wash. He held them at arm's length to avoid the sweat and stench. Unfortunately, his little arms were not apt for the task.

Celestia gave him a disapproving stare. Well at least I don’t have under-wing sweat to deal with.

“I guess I can’t blame you, after you got so... worked up yesterday.” Spike stared while he envisioned the previous afternoon’s events. He blinked it away with a short shiver. “You’re lucky you have your number one assistant. While you were out, I compiled a list of all your scheduled appointments for the day.” The baby dragon descended the stairs and returned with a large bundled scroll.

Celestia brought the paper in front of her violet eyes. Twilight's hue of dark pink magic was still foreign to her. Sure enough, the first thing on the list explained a lot.


Help Applejack with apple-bucking (without magic) 6:00

Assist Rarity with her latest shipments

Talk to Pinkie about her latest Pinkie Promise (When she inevitably shows up)

Check experiment 352 at exactly 3:22

Review the CMC’s latest scheme for acquiring their cutie marks


The list ran on, but Celestia’s mind was already buzzing with questions.

What does Applejack have against magic? What kind of secrets does a crazy pony like Pinkie Pie have? Twilight never told me anything about an experiment, let alone an experiment 352? What is this “CMC?”

As these thoughts floated around, she barely noticed Spike looking up at her with a hopeful grin.

“Thank you, Sir Spike.” Oops, that is how I address the guards.

Spike pondered the awkward remark. Scratching his chin, he replied, “Sir Spike... I like it. Uh, Twilight, you better get going to the farm.”

“Of course, I’ll be right off then.”

Spike looked somewhat dismayed as she made her way to the door.

“Are you going to yell at Vinyl Scratch like you usually do?” He asked, wincing a little.

Well if Twilight normally does it, I guess I will too. Celestia stopped with the door open. She gazed toward the two story cottage emanating what could only be described as low frequency oscillations of epic proportions.

Spike sighed. “I’ll take that look as a yes.”

***

Celestia knocked on the door, ready to give a standard haughty lecture. This was one of here student's behaviors she was confident in imitating. After all, she had even caught Twilight giving her a lecture, only for the unicorn to stutter, sputter, and spout apologies. Perhaps it was a side effect of all the one on one lessons she had given Twilight Sparkle since she was a foal? Or maybe it was an inherited behavior from one of Twilight's parents? She was about to knock again, when the door swung inwards and the pony she was looking for leaned against the door frame.

There was a spark of recognition from the Princess. Oh I recognize those glasses! This is the DJ I procured for the royal wedding later this year. She is quite popular with the teen crowd. Perhaps just a tad ahead of the times for the capital?

Vinyl had her forelegs crossed in a nonchalant manner. She must have been expecting her, because there was no way she could have heard the knocking over the loud bass waves unless she had been right there. The conversation that followed was less talking and more akin to screaming. Necessary in order to overcome the intense beats.

“I THOUGHT WE’D BEEN OVER THIS ALREADY. CELESTIA HASN’T MADE ANY LAWS AGAINST PLAYING MUSIC THIS LOUD AT ANY TIME, SO UNLESS YOU FINISHED FILING THAT REQUEST AND JUST GOT IT APPROVED BY HER ROYAL HIGHNESS HERSELF, I AIN’T CHANGING A THING.”

An earth pony mare with a grey coat and pink bow, trotted up behind Vinyl. Her black mane and tail were completely frazzled. Deep bags threatened to invade the rest of the mare's lower cheeks. “OH FINALLY, A MARE WITH REASON! DID YOU SEND IN THAT PAPERWORK TO STOP THIS INFERNAL RACKET?”

Celestia couldn't help but grin at the new arrival. No way! The renowned cellist, Octavia Melody, lives here too? She was so taken with unexpected appearance, It took her a moment to process the words. I do recall something about submitting a noise violation on Spike’s list. But what's a "dub step dishwasher?" I’m technically still The Princess, so I guess this is up to me.

Octavia’s eyes were honestly creeping Celestia out a little, so she diverted her gaze back to the impatient DJ. "DO YOU MIND IF I COME IN FOR A MINUTE? I WANT TO SEE THIS DISHWASHER."

Celestia swore she could feel Vinyl Scratch squint questioningly from behind those purple shades. After a few thrums of base, Vinyl moved aside. Octavia's groan was drowned out by the cacophony. The lack of sound hardly lessened the message of anguish and woe as Octavia tipped her head back and arched her back just so.

The DJ lead the way past the staircase in the entryway and into the kitchen. There, sitting between the oven-stove combo and the refrigerator, was the point of contention. Though sitting between may have been a misnomer. Something that blurs the space it occupies as it pushes the ponies away with the pressure of sound, does not simply, sit.

“DOES THAT DISHWASHER PLAY ANYTHING ELSE?” Celestia asked.

Octavia looked utterly confused by the words leaving the studious pony’s muzzle. Vinyl's shaded glasses chose that moment to fall from her face to reveal the welling excitement in her violet eyes. Vinyl levitated a remote off of a small table in the kitchen and turned the dishwasher off for a moment.

“You bet it does! This baby plays all my latest hits, like Ear Eviscerator, and Wubbed Out of This World, but the song you just heard does the best cleaning job.”

Celestia sat on the vinyl flooring and tapped her front hooves together. “So you've been testing the cleaning properties of different songs with the power of…?”

“Wubs.” Vinyl broke in to explain. “Though I was honestly just playing around at first. I guess you could call it ‘testing.’ I would work on this later in the day, but I have a busy job schedule.” Her expression of enthusiasm slowly drained as she finished. She fixed Celestia with a stone cold glare. “You hate all my music though, so I guess it doesn’t matter. Have you come here to shut me down or what?”

Octavia’s lips mouthed the words “Help me,” from behind her musically polar roommate.

Celestia was staring at the dark glasses on the floor, searching for an answer. Who am I to restrict her artistic freedom? Besides, I couldn’t pretend I hated one of my favorite artists, could I? Decades and decades of pompous classical musicians brown nosing me with free private performances. Nobles trying to butter me up by purchasing all the seats for a private orchestral performance. Which would have been nice, if I didn't have to sit through the same performance five times a day, because five nobles all thought the same thing!

“Well, what is it,” the roommates asked in unison.

Celestia slowly formed a small smile. “I’m actually not here to stop you Vinyl.”

“Really?”

“Nope, especially after hearing about your work in what will surely be the future of dish cleaning technology. As a mare rooted in science and discovery, it would be wrong of me to stop you. Besides, I have studied your music lately and find the primal energy in the low frequency sound waves perplexing. That along with synthetic sound. The technology is impressive, compared to that of classical instruments. As soothing and methodical as the classics can be, classical instruments don’t often get a room full of ponies energized like a good mix does.”

The cellist huffed and stomped out of the kitchen and up the stairs. “The greats are rolling in their graves, Twilight Sparkle. This is not the end of this!”

Vinyl rubbed her ears to make sure she had heard correctly, she had done so many times in the conversation. Though Celestia suspected it was because of hearing loss.

“Wow, Twilight! That is exactly what I have been trying to tell Miss. Grumpy upstairs,” Vinyl said, indicating the second floor.

“That’s what i’m here for. Well, I have work to do, so I guess I will be seeing you later.” Celestia turned to leave.

“Thanks, Twilight. You just won some cool points in my book. I guess you aren’t just an egghead.”

“Thanks... I guess.” How many times does Twilight get picked on for her intellect in a day? Is being stupid 'in' these days?

Celestia left the house toward Sweet Apple Acres, unaware of a pink mare bouncing up to the musician's house before the cottage door closed.

It has been ages since I have done any manual labor. The guards and maids would never let me do half the things I will probably do today. Maybe it will be fun?

***

The streets were mostly empty. Celestia observed some of her early rising subjects. They had started to set up their shops and stands. Celestia smiled as she gazed at the distant horizon. She could make out Mt. Canter, and at the top, the sun twinkling off of the palace roof tops.

I knew you could do it, my greatest student. It’s a few degrees off, but nopony will notice. Not even Luna.

The citizens didn’t realize what a blessing the rising sun was today. The orange orb was early in its arc of the new dawn, when the purple unicorn crested the hill leading down to the farm.

As Celestia, she had been to the farm many times before to settle feuds between the Apple and the Carrot family. As unfair as it was to pick sides, she often thought the Carrot family would win in the end. Plus, carrot cake is delicious. However, the Apple family was likable in many other ways. Their stubborn pride and complicated traditions were something to admire. It helped that one of the family now bore one of the Elements.

I wonder if they are still at it?

***

“So I’m basically here to make you look good?” Celestia asked, trying to sum up what the orange earth pony had said.

“Well last time you all helped, Rainbow was able to shake loads of apples just flying through the trees, Fluttershy did her shivering thing quite effectively, you and Rarity cleaned house with your magic, and Pinkie Pie did her thing, basically leaving me starin’ at the ground useless.” Applejack looked indignant and scraped at the soil outside the main barn.

“I don’t see the problem. You got a break and all the work got done in a quarter of the time.”

“That’s it though. Me and Mac work hard every harvest to buck all these trees and you lot with no farmin’ experience gave us more than a run for our money, with no sweat.”

“I think I’m starting to understand. You feel beaten at your own game by a bunch of amateurs,” Celestia said frankly.

Applejack’s cheeks reddened with what Celestia presumed to be a mixture of embarrassment and anger. “Well yeah. That was the start anyways. I thought I would get over it, but unfortunately they wouldn’t give me the end of it.” Applejack gestured toward the fields across the road with an orange hoof.

“So this is about the ‘Carapple’ Conflict then.”

Celestia recalled the papers. (The ‘Carapple’ Conflict, as it was logged in the archives; is the running record of civil disputes between the Carrot and Apple families). This could certainly get interesting.

“Where did you hear that... oh never mind. No doubt you read it in one ohh yer books."

Again with the mocking my student's intelligence. Celestia pursed her lips as she kept listening.

After the Carrots saw you helpin’ us, they won’t stop teasin’ us about how we can’t handle our own farm and how we give earth ponies a bad name."

Applejack sidled up next to the unicorn, lifting her hoof to speak in a hushed whisper. "They say we're getting beat by... less than racially sensitive things about pegasi and unicorn magic.” Applejack grinned awkwardly, embarrassed about the subject matter. “So if me and you can clear this here field without magic, then that would show ‘em they need to bite their tongues.”

What would Twilight do? If I participate in this plan, it could turn into a contest of one-up ponyship between the families. I've seen what that leads to. I could give a standard sticks-and-stones speech or... solve it with logic. That’s what Twilight would try to do.

Celestia tried to come up with the most serious face she could muster while still seeming reassuring. “Applejack, they just want to start something between your families. Besides, Celestia and Luna have wings and magic. Surely they are not any of the... offensive labels you heard.”

Applejack fussed with her front hooves, closing both of them in the barn for privacy. She leaned in to whisper in one of Celestia’s ears.

Both of the purple unicorn’s ears shot up, and her serious face transformed into one of abominable rage.

“THEY SAID THAT ABOUT US... I MEAN THE PRINCESSES? IT IS ON!”

The farm pony looked a little terrified, and perhaps had second thoughts about what she had started. She recognized the phrase Rarity had said a couple of times before things got serious.

“Uh Twi. Are you okay?”

I've always wanted to participate in a pointless feud, and maybe an angry mob if I'm lucky!

"Twilight. You're scaring me. You better not start a town panic again."

‘Twilight’ looked away, as her forehooves rubbed together.

I may have to implement my own plans along with this one. The Carrot family is going down.

***

To be continued.

Author's Note:

Chapter summary:
Celestia wakes up on her first day at the Library to the rattling of the windows. Spike gives her the checklist for the day.

Help Applejack with apple-bucking (without magic) 6:00
Assist Rarity with her latest shipments
Talk to Pinkie about her latest Pinkie Promise (When she inevitably shows up)
Check experiment 352 at exactly 3:22
Review the CMC’s latest scheme for acquiring their cutie marks

Celestia learns that the rattling was caused by some sort of music coming from Vinyl Scratch and Octavia's house. She lets Vinyl continue her ‘research’ on dubstep, for which Octavia is not pleased. Celestia notices the sun has risen, confirming Twilight’s success at doing so. Applejack explains that the Carrot family (namely Carrot Top) has been making fun of the Apples for getting help from pegasi and unicorns. Celestia agrees to help Applejack clear the fields without magic and swears vengeance against the Carrot Family.