• Published 22nd May 2012
  • 15,568 Views, 817 Comments

A Troll Through the Park - Spanner



Twilight and Celestia unwillingly change places for a number of days.

  • ...
40
 817
 15,568

Chapter 12: Suspicions & Suspects

Chapter 12: Suspicions & Suspects

(Celestia)

***

Rarity released a small chuckle, which slowly escalated into less ladylike bouts of laughter.

Celestia was rolling on the grass next to her, snorting up a storm. “Fluttershy... under... under arrest. What... what did she do...”

“...harm a fly?” Rarity finished, having as much trouble speaking as her purple compatriot.

“Good... good one, Rarity,” Celestia said, jerking a purple hoof in her direction. Most fun in decades.

Stonewall’s face remained as serious as ever. “Are you quite done, or am I going to arrest you two for failing to cooperate in a criminal investigation?”

“I don’t know. what are you going to do?” Rarity inspected one of her hooves, trying to compose herself.

Stonewall looked as though he were resisting the urge to pounce onto the snappy unicorn and instead started grinding his teeth.

I know that look. Celestia gulped. “Perhaps we should tell him what he wants to know. He must have a good reason for being here.” He really does need to loosen up though.

“If you were even a fraction as smart as Twilight, here, you would listen,” the guard bellowed.

“That’s hardly how one speaks to a lady such as myself.” Rarity raised her nose in retort.

“I am quite sorry; I was thrown off by your pig-snorting laughter,” Stonewall said with a fake courteous tone.

Rarity gasped loudly, her face reddening. Celestia stepped in the way just before the fashion designer could do more than stare daggers through her purple body and the stallion’s golden armor. Celestia had to stand on her hind legs and hold her hooves out to keep the two separated as Rarity flailed her hooves towards her insulter.

“Now, Stonewall. You shouldn’t be insulting anypony’s intelligence. You’re much too professional for that.” His cheeks reddened slightly, but he still held an annoyed expression on face. The princess turned her head from the pegasus to the unicorn behind her other hoof. “Now, Rarity, why don’t you let me handle this from here? I’m sure I can clear this all up.”

Rarity grumbled under her breath and took a seat on a nearby apple crate but not before dusting it off thoroughly.

The two briskly walked out of earshot of Rarity. Celestia reflexively tried to drape a wing over the guard to set him at ease, only to chuckle at the absence of such an appendage.

He never did like being touched, anyhow. “You are one of Celestia’s elite, one of her personal guard. What would she say if she saw you now?”

The stallion only grumbled incoherently.

“Why don’t you tell me what this is all about. Maybe we can come to a rational conclusion. Fluttershy is one of the Elements of Harmony after all, and the Element of Kindness no less.”

“With all due respect, Miss Twilight, just because you mares are the Elements does not mean you get special treatment. You know the royal guards devote their lives to the protection of the Royal Sisters every day, but you just pull out a chest of lucky charms and blast threats in the face with rainbows now and then.”

The guard continued continued before Celestia had a chance to interject.

“You get stained glass windows and cheering, while the guard are merely expected to do the expected.”

“I... that’s a good point, and I respect the work you do—”

Stonewall apparently never heard her. “However, seeing as you are her highness’s student, I suppose I can at least explain the situation.”

He paused for a breath and spoke as if giving a report to Princess Celestia herself, which now seemed like a serendipitous occurrence.

“I have been tasked to find the individual responsible for the destruction of a portion of Carrot Top’s property by way of a ravaging horde of rabbits. After analyzing the facts at hoof, I have come to the conclusion that it must have been Miss Fluttershy because of her ability to communicate with animals.”

Celestia’s mind flipped, but her head simply nodded mindlessly. “Oh tha... I mean, what was the extent of the damage?” My outburst has gotten one of Twilight’s friends in trouble. She mentally slapped herself.

“Crop damage has been estimated at about one hundred and fifty bits. There—”

“That’s not too bad.” I can fix this— Celestia’s thought was interrupted.

“—and the property owner has been approved for additional bits in punitive damages from the perpetrator for emotional trauma.”

“How much would that be?” Celestia said giving a crooked smile.

***

Rarity did her best to perk her ears to eavesdrop on their conversation. She held a pocket mirror in front of her face to lower suspicion. Maybe she could teleport closer while they were distracted. While the guard and unicorn were animatedly arguing, they weren't quite loud enough for the fashionista to here everything. She was pretty sure she heard something about “The law!” yelled a couple of times, but the rest was too quiet to hear. That was until...

“WHAT?! THAT’S PREPOSTEROUS!”

Rarity dropped her pocket mirror from the sound of extreme anguish that rebounded around the nearby area in such clarity she could hear the echoes from the nearby hills.

“Eehgem, I think you owe the Element of Generosity an apology.” Noticing a building magical signature, Celestia sidestepped and pointed a hoof next to her. There was a flash as Rarity fell from above, somehow turning the short plunge into a semi-graceful landing next to her purple friend with a frantic shuffling of her hooves.

Well, at least she’s learning, Celestia surmised.

Stonewall seemed unfazed by the sudden forecast of raining unicorns, still too irritated to care. “I apologize for my rude remarks. I’m sure you are as smart as you are beautiful.”

“Oh, what a gentlecolt. Thank you for considering Fluttershy’s situation—”

“It is my duty to—”

“—but to really make it up to me, you could always take me out to dinner in Canterlot,” Rarity said as she nudged his flank with hers.

Stonewall’s back arched up like a cat’s and his cheeks flushed red. “I should really... be going now.”

“Before you go, could you sign this, please?” Celestia said, shoving a small collection of papers in front of her guard.

“Yeah, sure, whatever.” Stonewall grabbed some papers from Celestia and scribbled his signature before shaking his head free of haze. “I think I’ll go visit my muffin... I mean Misses Doo should be done with the mail now.”

Darn crazy mares. They’ll be the death of me yet, Stonewall thought before taking off towards town.

Celestia gave Rarity a sideways glance. “You did know he was married, right?”

“Of course not. What kind of cruel mare would tease a married gentlecolt in such a way?” The fashionista smiled deviously.

Celestia pointed a purple hoof at Rarity. “You're evil, I knew you were evil.”

Both mares shared a laugh once again. Rarity looked over at ‘Twilight,’ who was still enjoying the moment. Alright, Rarity, it’s time to get to the bottom of this. There’s no better time to ask her than now.

Celestia turned toward town. “Well, I better be going. I need to make sure Fluttershy is okay, and I have a few other loose ends.” At this rate maybe literally.

“Are we done with today’s lesson already?” Rarity’s lower lip quivered in feigned disappointment.

“I wouldn’t worry about Fluttershy too much. I’m willing to bet she’s gone to Rainbow Dash’s house. Besides, she’s no longer under arrest, and if Fluttershy doesn’t want to be found, I don’t think we will have any luck.”

“I really should go, Rarity...”

Rarity grabbed Celestia around her hind legs, clinging to her. “The day is still young. There’s still so much to learn!” Maybe this is going too far?

This is getting weird again. “Alright, I’ll at least leave you with something to practice, but I was thinking of moving away from the basics.” Celestia hesitated for a moment before trotting over to one of the nearby crates and levitating a reddish brown book between her and the clingy unicorn. “Why don’t you take a look at chapter three of this?”

Rarity got up and plucked the book from Celestia’s magical grasp. “What? I thought you said you would never teach me this type of magic. Besides, don’t I need to pass the competency test and procure licensing documents signed by Celestia or a royal guard...?”

She opened the cover of the old-looking tome to find a slip of paper with Stonewall’s signature sloppily scrawled at the bottom. “You clever little bookworm, taking advantage of a distracted stallion. Are you sure I’m ready? Why change your mind now?”

“From how you have been progressing, you should be capable of anything in chapter three. I figured after what has happened recently, with the dragons and all, teaching the other unicorn in our little group is only logical. Celestia signed my C.M.L documents, and I’m sure she would trust my judgment.”

Celestia jumped as Rarity wrapped her in a tight embrace. “Oh thank you thank you thank you! You don’t know what this means for me!”

“You... can let go now.” I hope it means exactly what I think it means. The poor unicorn face-planted in the grass as Rarity released her surprisingly vice-like grip upon Celestia’s purple body.

Rarity turned away to blush with a modest, “Oh, Twilight, I’m ever so sorry.” The expected response was not forthcoming, and she turned in time to see her friend vanish in a flash of magic.

“Merde,” Rarity stomped the ground. She quickly glanced around to make sure there had been no witnesses of her unladylike outburst. Once she was clearly alone,

she started flipping through the book before her. “Maybe something in here can help me get to the bottom of this.”

***

Celestia, the less-than-normal unicorn, trotted cautiously through town. She was careful not to move too quickly, as it might arouse suspicion. It was a race now. Either Stonewall would figure out who the real culprit was, or she would find a way to fix this. Either way, that Carrot pony wasn’t about to get away with this.

In mid step, a scroll appeared in front of her. She thought it odd that the roll of paper wasn’t enchanted to read differently to outsiders. It did, however, sport the royal seal and Twilight’s best copy of Celestia’s hornwriting. The princess held the scroll in her magic as she trotted on.

Dear Twilight Sparkle,

I know you may have been looking forward to seeing Me at the party, but it would be best if you remained in Ponyville to continue your studies.

It’s time you start the research for that project I assigned about imagining oneself in somepony elses horseshoes. You have always been a voice of reason and helpful resource to the ponies of Ponyville, and we hope you will not feel bad staying behind to continue important work for all of Equestria.

Sincerely,

Princess Celestia and Sparks

It was obvious what this, ‘project’ Twilight wanted her to study for was, but the best resources to reverse their predicament where in Canterlot, not Ponyville. Twilight apparently didn’t want her in Canterlot for some reason.

It must be trouble in the Capital.

Twilight needs me.

Celestia started to rush towards Vinyl's to get a train ticket right away until realizing she would be leaving all the responsibilities and problems of Ponyville behind.

Twilight’s responsibilities and the problems I created.

Celestia came to a sudden stop next to Ponyville’s central fountain.

What is wrong with me? Since when did I let my stress and frustration get the better of me?

She had almost charged to the farm pony of somepony she’d attacked to most likely cause even more trouble. The only thing that held her back was this strange letter from the one she was supposed to impersonate. Worse yet, she was going to blatantly disregard the letter because she perhaps didn’t fully trust Twilight herself.

The Sun Bringer wondered, wishing she knew her student better. Maybe if she did, she could tell what this all meant.

Celestia sank to her haunches on the edge of the fountain, supporting her head in her hooves. More questions came with no answers.

Why had The Apples’ and Carrots’ problems not warranted my attention sooner? Why had this only become important when it directly affected me? Have the smaller problems of my ponies really become so trivial to me that I could just leave all of the sudden?

She watched the bustling ponies going about their lives, remembering the days when she knew them all by name. Back then, there were only a few towns dotting the lands of Equestria. It was a time before the mounds of paperwork and hours spent with infuriating nobles.

Yes, this strange, recent turn of events had given her the opportunity to see things on a more personal level with her little ponies, a way in which they weren't cowering in fear or waiting on her hoof and tail, but it seemed like her presence so far had only made things... complicated. This was just one little town. How out of touch was she with the rest of Equestria?

Sooo let me get this straight. You’re the princess pretending to be Twilight, that pony who just left was a robot, and Twilight is... running the kingdom in your body?’

Spike’s words echoed in her head. Before she could finish ruminating on that thought, another one of the small dragon’s concerns reared its head.

‘It’s not the technical details that get me. It just seems... irresponsible of the Princess to allow something like that to happen, especially if it weren't an accident.’

‘Irresponsible,” Celestia repeated mentally.

Maybe he was right. All I've done here is feed Pinkie Pie’s apparent addiction, let one of Twilight’s experiments go awry, hurt some pony’s feelings, and break into Twilight’s neighbor’s house. Who am I kidding? I’m not here because Twilight could learn something; I’m here because I am too lazy to go back to my duties.

The corners of her mouth sagged further downward, her initial vigor to confront the vegetable farmer withering significantly. “How could I be so selfish?”

The purple mare let out a yelp as the corners of her mouth were forced upward. A shrill voice forced her ears down. “Time to turn that frowny upside downy!”

The Princess toppled backwards with a splash, bringing her pink attacker into the chilly waters with her. “Unhoof me now!” Celestia exclaimed as she thrashed about. Miraculously, Pinkie Pie still had a leech-like grip on her face.

“Nu-uh, not until you smile!” Her attacker said in a singsong voice.

“No!”

“Smile!”

“No! I’m not in the mood!”

Pinkie looked up to the sky. “BY THE POWER OF GREYSKULL, YOU WILL SMILE!”

The party pony finally let go as Celestia burst into laughter. “What in the Star Swirl’s beard are you even talking about?”

“Yes!” Pinkie Pie hoof pumped. “Another victory in the name of laughter!”

Pinkie Pie leapt out of the fountain and shook the water from her coat like a soggy dog. Bystanders scurried away to avoid being sprayed. The chuckling unicorn and crazy earth pony were left to themselves. Pinkie’s coat puffed up like a giant blob of cotton candy then quickly settled back down.

Celestia tried to return to her dower mood by literally soaking in misery, but something about this party mare wouldn’t let the small smile leave her mug. What is with her? Where did she come from just then?

The princess just realized Pinkie Pie was looking at her, beckoning to her from the street.

“Well, are you coming, or are you just gonna’ sit in the fountain like a weirdo pony?” Pinkie said, rolling her eyes.

Celestia sloshed out of the shallow fountain. With great magical precision, the water in Twilight’s coat lifted away into a floating orb that was lowered gracefully back into the water fountain. “I’m a little busy right now, Pinkie. We can talk later.”

“Well, if you don’t have time for one of your loyal subjects, then I guess I’ll just make like a tree and leave.” With that, the party mare started bouncing away at a seemingly impossible rate, each hop timed to some unheard beat.

Celestia almost turned to continue on her way. Wait a minute... did she just say ‘loyal subjects’? She chased after the spunky, jumpy pony, forgetting she could have just teleported.

The princess had to hop along with Pinkie Pie to stay at eye level, which made it difficult to speak. “What... did you... mean... by... loyal subjects?”

If Pinkie had heard her, then she must have ignored the question. The two mares continued to hop past various market stands and permanent establishments. They passed a number of alleys and streets while Pinkie said nothing, only pausing to give a friendly wave or smile at passers by. Just when Celestia thought she might collapse from all the hopping, Pinkie Pie finally stopped.

“Why don’t you take a seat?” the party pony asked in a strangely serious voice.

“What seat...” When did we get inside? Celestia turned around to find a slightly worn red chair. It was longer than a normal chair, lacked any arm support, and one end was angled upwards at a comfortable incline. Celestia lay on her belly with her hooves tucked in front of herself. She felt the need for a rest anyhow.

Pinkie finished digging through a nearby box, pulling out a framed scroll and hanging on the wall. It read ‘Certified Psychologist,’ with Pinkie Pie’s name fancily written at the bottom in what might have been pink icing.

Celestia snorted. “You're going to psychoanalyze me? Says the pony who is addicted to chocolate rain clouds... no offense.”

“None taken, but don’t knock it till you try it. Besides, this is about you, not me. We can’t have The Princess all sady waddy.” Pinkie said booping Celestia's purple nose.

The princess slumped back in the chair with her hooves behind her head. “Fine, but only because you know who I am. You have ten minutes to gain my confidence.” This is going nowhere, but maybe I’ll learn something about Pinkie Pie.

“Great! It’s going to be so much fun! I’ll get to help you get over deep-rooted psychological trauma, talk about childhood fears, and hang out all at the same time!”

Woo! Deep-rooted psychological trauma is fun. “I don’t have any psychological problems, Pinkie.”

“Patient is in denial.” The the peppy pink pony said as she scrawled a note on a clipboard. She looked up at Celestia with a big smile. “See, we're already making progress.”

There was a loud sound as a purple hoof met the bone of its owner’s forehead.

There was more scratching of a quill from the chair beside Celestia's. “Patient is showing signs of self-abuse.”

Just nine minutes and forty-seven seconds left.

***

Sometime later...

Celestia swallowed the last of an especially delicious cupcake.“How did you figure it out... That I was the Princess, that is? How long did you know?”

“I noticed, like, the second day you were here. You were acting like Celestia trying to act like Twilight, instead of Twilight being Twilight.” Pinkie Pie scratched her chin and scrunched her nose up. “You should try to be more Twilightish and less Twilighty. That and you smell different.”

Celestia just stared for a few moments before she spoke. “You really can be profound sometimes...”

Celestia's thoughts trailed off as she walked away from Pinkius piacus, extracting an impossibly long streamer from one of her ears. As she made her way down to the first floor of Sugar Cube Corner, she crossed paths with a spiky-maned unicorn.

“Hey, Vinyl, what are you doing here?”

“Oh, my main mare Pinkie Pie asked me to play music for the big Castle par-tay! Princess Celestia may have chosen to have this party, but I’m not letting those boring Canterlot folks pick all the tunes.”

“Right, the big party for her subjects,” that I was advised not to go to by, ‘myself.’

“You better get train tickets before they run out. Celestia left the party open to anyone.” Vinyl floated out some slips of paper from a saddle bag. “I got some extra train ticks if you need ‘em. It would be way less cool if I had to debut my first song of my new album, “Dragonforce V.S. Airborne Magica,” without the the Unicorn Warrior herself and her trusty steed.”

Celestia pushed the tickets gently away. “Sorry, but I have... other things I need to attend to,” such as making sure my student and I don’t get arrested at the same time.

Vinyl's ears folded back slightly. “Oh, this is about your terrible dancing isn’t it? Well, if you change your mind, I’ll be holding them for a while.”

“I’m a great dancer,” Celestia protested. “And what’s with the ‘Unicorn Warrior’ thing?”

“Right, sure. Your secret is safe with me, not that it’s very secret,” Vinyl laughed. ‘Unicorn Warrior’ is what everypony is calling you after the dragon attack, or at least they will be after the party.

Great, a new title for my student. “That reminds me, here you go.” Celestia floated out the purple-tinted shades she borrowed during the scaly invasion.

“You can keep ‘em.” Vinyl waved a hoof. “You looked pretty bad-flank with a pair of my shades. Just remember not to look at explosions.”

“Because cool mares don’t look at explosions?”

“No, because it’s a freakin’ explosion! But yeah, also because that.”

Vinyl headed upstairs, and Celestia made her way out the door.

***

It felt like mountains of stress had left her soul. Celestia was reluctant to believe it was all Pinkie Pie’s doing. It’s just that nopony dared suggest that she, the one who formerly raised the sun and moon, ever needed a psychiatrist. There were still things to rectify, but now Celestia believed she knew why she had been acting out. There was a small concern that perhaps being in Twilight’s body was effecting her judgment somehow, but she couldn’t be sure unless she asked Twilight as well.

Just the fact that she had to use a recollection spell to remember the last time she had a “vacation” from her royal duties was a sign that Celestia did indeed deserve a break. Not only deserved it but needed the mental release. Three thousand and sixty-seven years since she had taken a day off was a pretty long time after all. It didn’t make her feel completely comfortable with how she had taken advantage of this weird set of circumstances involving her student, but it definitely made her feel better.

After all, she had been able to save the town from ravaging dragons. Even if the Ponyville had gotten a little burnt, Twilight herself had nearly destroyed the town on a couple occasions. She was also getting to know more about Twilight and her friends, which she regretfully didn’t have much time for while she was a princess. Pinkie Pie was right. She may have been ‘a tinsy weensy bit selfish,’ but it was ‘understandable.’

Now, with a clear head, Celestia headed for Carrot Top’s house.

Celestia had heard of the tensions between the Apple family and the Carrots, but she had never been there in person. She barely read through a fraction of the documents she had to sign, and what little she did know was rumors and hearsay. In other words, she had only a vague understanding of why they had so many... disagreements.

Whatever the reasons, it was high time it all ended.

Unlike the Apple family, Carrot Top had a house in town, in addition to a farmhouse out in the fields of her family’s property. Her home on the edge of Ponyville was a sort of staging ground for moving and selling the family crops and a place to call her own.

This last bit she had learned from Berry Punch, who had agreed to keep watch over Carrot Top’s home and garden. Apparently the farm-mare went to, “assure her plans for revenge.” That was what Berry had told her anyhow.

The mulberry mare wished Celestia good luck as she left for the farmlands. When Berry Punch had asked ‘Twilight’ if she had taken part in the crime, the best answer Celestia could give was, “It’s complicated.”

Now she found herself staring up up at the metal sign of “Rooted Revere Farms,” before looking down to the checklist Pinkie gave to her. Celestia also made an invisible list for a personal agenda. Having these things laid out on paper was comforting.

- Fix things with the Carrots, without a royal vengeance.

- Find Fluttershy, and give her a big hug

- Apologize to Flitter and Cloudchaser for being a forgetful meanie pants, even if it was sort of an accident

- Beware of clouds

Personal agenda:

- Stop the Cutie Mark Crusaders from meddling with the timeline

- Research how to switch back into my body

- Investigate trouble at the Palace

- Study the possible effects of long term mind swapping

She considered that stopping The Cutie Mark Crusaders from traveling through time should have been her top priority, but the last time she saw Sweetie Belle she looked far too exhausted to try the spell again anytime soon. Regardless, time was something she couldn't waste, as Stonewall was surely getting close to solving this case.

Celestia re-read the overly curly, pink mouth-writing. While carrying around a list helped her look the part of Twilight better, she would have liked to write it herself. Some of Pinkie’s wording was a little... different than she would have liked, if not cryptic at times. For example, what in Equestria did Pinkie mean by ‘Beware of clouds?’ Celestia shook her head free of ‘Pinkymania,’ as Twilight had called it in her studies.

The wrought iron gate squeaked as Celestia pushed it open. The sound only increased her apprehension. After all, she was about to make peace with the same pony who had insulted her sister and herself.

***

Celestia was thrown to the ground once again. She could taste and smell the dirt that covered her face and coat. She knew she would have a black eye after this was over. These sensations were nothing compared to the pain shooting up her back leg which was being pulled upward and nearly reaching the back of her mane.

“Do you give up yet, or do you like the taste of my land too much?”

Through watering eyes, Celestia looked over her shoulder at the banana yellow hooves causing her misery. “Never give up... Never surrender. I... shall not yield!” I just came to make peace.

“I could keep this up all—” The farm-mare was cut off.

Celestia swore she heard something in her leg pop as she thrust her free back leg upwards and shoved Carrot Top off of her back. The unicorn rolled over to the stunned earth pony and locked her purple arms around the mare’s neck. Celestia held her over her lap so Carrot Top couldn't get her front hooves close to her face. She then locked her back legs over the yellow mare’s.

“Now dost thou yield?!”

“...”

Celestia had to loosen her grip a little, as the earth pony’s words were unintelligible at first. “What was that you say?”

“Halt, criminal scum! you are under arrest!” A large golden-armored pegasus cast a shadow over the pair of fighting mares.

“Ah, Stonewall. This isn't what it looks like! I can explain.” Now Stonewall decides to show up.

“You can pay your fine or explain in jail! I’m disappointed in you, Twilight Sparkle, just as The Princess will be, (of that) I am sure.”

Why is this happening? Is it because the universe wants its sun back?

***

To be continued...

Author's Note:

Chapter Summary:

Stonewall explains Fluttershy is a suspect in the destruction of Carrot Top (Autumn Harvest’s property). Celestia gives Rarity a combat magic license and spell book. Celestia gets a letter from Sparks saying not to go to Canterlot. Celestia partakes counselling with Pinkie Pie and updates her to-do-list with her “help”.

- Fix things with the Carrots, without a royal vengeance.
- Find Fluttershy, and give her a big hug
- Apologize to Flitter and Cloudchaser for being a forgetful meanie pants, even if it was sort of an accident
- Beware of clouds

Personal agenda:
- Stop the Cutie Mark Crusaders from meddling with the timeline
- Research how to switch back into my body
- Investigate trouble at the Palace
- Study the possible effects of long term mind swapping

Celestia chokes out Carrot Top for some reason, just as Stonewall shows up to arrest her.