• Published 17th May 2012
  • 2,209 Views, 92 Comments

Nothing Probably Goes on Forever Too - TundraStanza



One pony alone is not enough to face David's forces and defeat them, not even a pony with two minds. True strength lies in the spirits of her friendships and their new blades. Sode no Shirayuki dances once more.

  • ...
20
 92
 2,209

Ch. 26: Every Day Is A Beginning

Sanctus Espiritus
Redeem us from our solemn hour
Sanctus Espiritus
Insanity is all around us
Sanctus Espiritus
Is this what we deserve? Can we break free
From chains of never ending agony?

Chapter 26: Every Day Is A Beginning
---

"No!" negated the filly with finality.

"Come on, Sweetie. Please?" I continued my begging, "It'll be a nice change from the norm."

"I'm not doing it," she reiterated.

I understood her hesitancy. I really did. But this wouldn't work with anyone else. Desperate times called for desperate measures. This was no exception.

"What if I told you that Rarity was going to run?" I tossed the question into the air. That perked up Sweetie Belle's ears pretty quickly.

"Well, then... maybe I would," she said thoughtfully, "But are you sure she'll run?"

"Absolutely!" I said pounding my chest for emphasis.

---

"I will not run," stated Rarity.

This just can't ever be easy, can it? I thought while face hoofing.

No, it cannot, affirmed Shirayuki.

"A lady must not let herself appear sweaty and dirty," recited the bearer of Generosity, "and such an event would have those results. So, I'm not going."

"But I've seen one of your fall fashion outfits," I pointed out, "It looks perfect for running in and ponies love watching a moving advertisement." That seemed to give her pause from her current project.

I have her now! I thought with a small smirk.

"Be that as it may," acknowledged Rarity while resuming her work, "I still will not run."

That smirk I had immediately deflated to a frown of irritation. I didn't want to have to use this card, but she held three aces. It was time to bring out the full house. I pretended to cough and muttered something far too loud to be ignored.

"Beg pardon?" asked Rarity turning around. I walked over and repeated the phrase in a whisper to her ear.

"Really?" she asked in slight surprise, "She is?"

"Mm-hm," I affirmed with a nod.

"Well then, like I was saying," started Rarity with enthusiasm, "Ponies love watching a moving advertisement."

---

The annual Running of the Leaves marked a seasonal, pivot point on the Equestrian calendar. For those of you that skipped "Fall Weather Friends" for whatever reason, here's the 411. Each year, ponies ran along a tree-lined path to allow the colorful autumn leaves to fall loose from the branches. This paved the way for winter to arrive in a timely manner. Well, that about sums it up.

"Fillies and gentle colts," declared an amplified voice of Spike.

"Welcome to the annual Running of the Leaves!" added an equally amplified voice of Pinkie Pie.

The baby dragon and pink pony were riding in a hot air balloon as announcers and overseers of the race. At the starting line, several ponies assigned with a random number stretched and prepped. Most of them were veteran runners that competed every year. Though, a few recognizable second-timers could also be seen. The farmer Applejack and the weather manager Rainbow Dash had decided to run a fair race for kicks and giggles. Ponyville's own librarian Twilight Sparkle had done some quick calculations to determine her best pacing and endurance.

But some of the spectators were more surprised at this year's first-timer. She trotted up in an elegant yet form-fitting outfit. A light purple shirt of sorts and a sky blue headband stood out as the centerpieces to her ensemble.

"For Sweetie Belle," she whispered as a reminder to herself.

---

Meanwhile, my partner and her younger friend had been generously loaned another hot air balloon to follow the action while giving support in a slightly different manner than Pinke Pie and Spike. Needless to say, Sweetie Belle was showing nervousness.

"I'm starting to have second thoughts about this," she whimpered.

"It'll be all right," insisted Shirayuki placing a hoof on the little one's shoulder, "I'm right here with you."

"On your marks!" shouted Pinkie Pie.

"Okay," nodded Sweetie Belle slowly, "Thanks, Tundra."

"Get set!" yelled Spike.

All the racers stood with their heads low and hooves poised to charge forward.

"Go!" cried out Pinkie and Spike simultaneously.

It almost felt like a gentle melody was playing to accompany Sweetie Belle's melody and Shirayuki's harmony.

Ohhh.... ohhh....

Another day is like a new beginning

And so today I know that it's a new start

I know the bad times are disappearing

'Cause now I know that we'll never be apart

You're the one that makes me feel so high (just like the diamonds in the sky)

I never want to hear you say goodbye ('cause you're my diamond in the sky)

You're the one that makes me feel so high (just like the diamonds in the sky)

I never want to hear you say goodbye ('cause you're my diamond in the sky)

A fork in the road forced some of the racers to take alternate routes. But ultimately, they were the same length. Shirayuki took the second verse of the song.

Yeahhhh...

Another road that we must travel

Another night for you to show me the way

And so today, I'll give up dreaming

'Cause now I know that I need you every day

You're the one that makes me feel so high (just like the diamonds in the sky)

I never want to hear you say goodbye ('cause you're my diamond in the sky)

You're the one that makes me feel so high (just like the diamonds in the sky)

I never want to hear you say goodbye ('cause you're my diamond in the sky)

Yeahhh... ohh...

I think Pinkie Pie said something regarding how close the first two racers were as far as racing position. But all I could see at that point was Rarity. She was struggling to keep up as well as maintain her clean look.

Where do all the rainbows go?

To somewhere I don't know

Wherever it is, I want to go

Ohh...

Wherever it is, I want to go

Suddenly, the fashionesta looked up at her little sister, truly giving her all into the song. At that moment, she decided that her good looks were only second priority. She decided that all family here should give it their all and that included her.

Feel so high...

Feel so high!

You're the one that makes me feel so high (just like the diamonds in the sky)

I never want to hear you say goodbye ('cause you're my diamond in the sky)

You're the one that makes me feel so high (just like the diamonds in the sky)

I never want to hear you say goodbye ('cause you're my diamond in the sky)

In a stream of dust that no pony was expecting, Rarity was at the front. Applejack and Rainbow Dash nearly tripped over their own hooves in shock.

Goodbye!

You're the one that makes me feel so high (just like the diamonds in the sky)

I never want to hear you say goodbye (diamond in the sky)

(just like the diamonds in the sky)

I never want to hear you say goodbye (diamond in the sky)

Oh, you're the one that makes me feel so high (just like the diamonds in the sky)

I never want to hear you say goodbye (diamond in the sky)

(just like the diamonds in the sky)

Ohh... (diamond in the sky)

Yeahhh...

In a photo finish (the racing term, not the pony with that name), Rarity took first place while the competition was more than a yard behind.

---

"Tundra Stanza," growled Rarity, "Would you please be so kind as to tell me why you lied to us?"

"It wasn't really a lie," I nervously rebutted, "You did run and Sweetie Belle did sing."

"Only because you tricked us," squeaked Sweetie Belle. Any other day, I would have found her voice crack to be adorable. But right now, I was downright terrified of the potentially rabies-infected filly.

"L-look," I stammered, "Everything worked out all right in the end, r-right?"

"Good intentions or not," said Rarity with a dark fire in her eyes, "It's not right for ponies to manipulate other ponies."

"Isn't that what you do all the time?" I asked with a straight face. Mentally, I face hoofed myself. I could have sworn I saw one of those red, anime frustration marks above Rarity's head.

"What did you say, darling?" she asked through clenched teeth.

"Well, you practically suckered the gems from those diamond dogs and a particular dragon," I pointed out, "So, telling me it's wrong to manipulate others is like being a hypocrite."

Bad mouth! Bad mouth! alerted my brain.

"You know she's got a point," agreed Sweetie Belle.

Oh, way to rub salt in the wound, I thought because I knew that saying such a thing out loud would only multiply Rarity's current rage. But she had her head down, so I couldn't see what her expression was right then. Slowly, she lifted a hoof in my direction. Was this an offering of truce?

Nope.

"Bakudo 61: Rikujokoro," she whispered.

An all-too familiar flower with rectangular petals now trapped me by the waist. The intense pressured of that particular kido prevented any movement of my major limbs. Sure, I struggled a bit, but it was useless.

"What are you going to do?" I asked completely scared out of my mind right now.

"Oh, I just want to thank you for such a wonderful opportunity," answered Rarity in such a sweet voice that I just knew it was forced.

"Th-thank me?" I stammered.

"Oh, yes," she responded. She walked over and put her mouth right next to my ear and whispered, "I'm going to make you look absolutely beautiful."

Oh no! I thought, She doesn't mean...

"The fitting room is just over here~," she nearly sang. With me unable to move, she levitated me easily with her magic.

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" I shouted hoping beyond hope that there was some satellite in this world that could receive my voice and save me from the... the... women's clothing. No such satellite existed, I'm afraid.

---

I think I relived Rarity's deleted scene from "Luna Eclipsed". In hindsight, it wasn't nearly as bad as the time I fell through Rarity's roof and was forced to work for her.

You know what the worst part of this is? I asked my other self.

What's that? responded Shirayuki.

I didn't even get to see Sweetie Belle's new cutie mark, I answered.

---

I made another visit to my inner sanctum. The gray abyss was still as empty as usual save for the three presences that could reside in there. There was something different about my Zanpaktou's spirit. Nothing visibly stood out, but there was definitely a different air about her. I couldn't put my hoof on it.

"You can sense it too, can't you?" asked Shirayuki sitting across from me.

"Yeah, but I don't know what it is," I answered.

"You have been through many experiences," commented Sode no Shirayuki, "Your combined wisdom has unlocked a power that was previously unobtainable."

"A previously unobtainable power?" I echoed.

"What would normally take hundreds of years to learn has inadvertently been made possible through the immeasurable time that you were separated," continued the 'sleeve of white snow', "And it only grew stronger when you reunited."

"Your words are cryptic," commented the wintry alicorn, "I don't quite understand what you're getting at."

My Zanpaktou sighed, "You are now capable of using my final release."

"Wait," I started to piece together what she was getting at, "Are you saying...?"

"... that we can now use...?" continued Shirayuki.

"... Bankai?" we finished together.

Sode no Shirayuki nodded once.

"But, that's impossible!" I reasoned, "Rukia Kuchiki didn't have a Bankai."

"We never went through Luna's special training either," added Shirayuki.

"Lady Tundra," interrupted the Zanpaktou spirit, "Are you Rukia Kuchiki?"

"Well... no, but..." I paused.

"Lady Shirayuki," she continued, "Haven't you noticed another that didn't need to go through that training?"

"I supposed Rarity never had to, but..." contemplated my other half.

"Then why is it so hard to believe?" asked Sode no Shirayuki, "Your power is not limited simply by what you have previously perceived. You mustn't shackle your own strength with expectations that others have set."

A moment of silence filled the gray abyss.

"Heh," I chuckled, "I guess not."

"I suppose that was a bit of a rash judgment," admitted Shirayuki.

"Still," I pondered, "It seems like it was too easy to achieve."

"Is there a condition that we have overlooked?" asked my other half.

"The key to my final release lies in the first dream that united the two of you," answered Sode no Shirayuki.

"Great," I groaned in sarcasm, "More cryptic riddles."

"We'll just have to take it one step at a time," sighed Shirayuki. I nodded in a reluctant agreement.

"Be strong," advised our Zanpaktou, "Both of you."

---

To make up for such a tiring day, I slept soundly that night. I may have been poked awake a couple of times. Twilight told me I was snoring too loudly. Spike made a point that my teeth grinding was getting annoying. Both were solid statements, but there wasn't a whole lot I could do. One can only control so much of their breathing and jaw movements while they are not consciously aware of them.

Still, I had to thank Spike for waking me up. It was right after he was heading back to his basket that a familiar vibration shook my whole body. Twilight also reacted to the sensation. A spiritual pressure was closing in. Without so much as another thought, both of us ponies were galloping out the library's door. It was silently agreed that a sleeping dragon could guard the library just fine.

"Think you can get us a bit closer to the source?" I hollered while galloping.

"Give me a couple seconds!" she hollered in reply. Her horn started glowing in a spreading magenta aura. True to her word, we were surrounded in white flashes a couple seconds later. I guessed she had been practicing that spell for a while since I didn't feel any burning around the edges like I had expected.

The teleport spell dropped us off near a patch of the Everfree. I could tell by the ragged appearance of the trees. Though, what confused me was the row of apple trees I could see in the distance behind me. I had always thought the Everfree Forest was closer to Fluttershy's cottage. Equestrian geography baffled me to no end.

Navigational discrepancies aside, some of the other ponies of our posse were headed out this way as well. Off the top were both of the Apple sisters, Scootaloo, and Rainbow Dash. It kind of struck me as peculiar that the rest of the gang was missing. But I didn't have time to think about that. The source of the unfriendly spiritual pressure began to close in from the Everfree Forest path.

In retrospect, it was a breath of fresh air from all the Hollows that had recently attacked Ponyville. On the other hand, it was kind of a downer that I was seeing a familiar adversary that I was hoping had been a "one episode and that's it" deal. The enemies gathered in swarms. Their insect-like wing beats contrasted with their multicolored puffball bodies. Every few seconds or so, one of them threw up new brethren.

Parasprites.

"Oh no, not these things again," groaned Rainbow Dash.

"Wait," halted Twilight, "Take another look. There's something different about them."

I took another panning look at the swarms of famine-inducing pests. The librarian was right. There was something different about them. While the parasprites that I was familiar with had sparkling emerald-colored eyes, these had fairly bloody red eyes. Some of them even had fangs bared, adding to the vampire-esque vibe I was getting from looking at these creatures. Oh, did I mention that there were swarms of them? I couldn't even begin to count them.

"Whatever the case may be," I said as I held out a hoof and summoned my Zanpaktou, "We can't let them into Ponyville."

"But how are we gonna fight so many?" asked Apple Bloom.

"Simple," scoffed Scootaloo, "We make more of us."

"Huh?" responded a confused farm filly.

With determination, Scootaloo brought forth her Zanpaktou and called, "Shroud the world in darkness, Kagehime!"

The sword glowed in a dark aura as its second blade emerged on the other side of the handle. I thought perhaps that she was going to use her signature 'shadow blade' technique. However, I did not expect her to move her hoof around so that she held the weapon behind her back. I shared Apple Bloom's look of confusion as the Pegasus filly released her grip and let the Zanpaktou drop.

"Bankai," she breathed.

Kagehime looked like it was fluidly sinking into the ground. Before I could ask what was going on, the very shadow underneath Scootaloo wriggled around and climbed up her body. At first, I was worried that she might sink into darkness like some Kingdom Hearts victim. But then, the shadow took on a more solidified shape. It looked a lot like a body of chain mail armor and it fit the filly's form snugly.

"Tsukikura Kagehime," said Scootaloo out loud.

"Wow, that's cool!" complimented Apple Bloom, "But... what did you mean by 'make more of us'?"

"Just watch this," smirked Scootaloo, "Kage bunshin!"

In less time than it took for me to blink, we were all in the presence of several Scootaloos. No, I'm not kidding. There was literally a whole herd of her. All of them were clad in the same shadowy, chain mail armor.

"Woah," I muttered.

As quickly as they had appeared, Scootaloo and her duplicates vanished. I quickly looked back and forth trying to discern their location. A lucky glance back at the incoming swarms of red-eyed parasprites cleared up that confusion. Some of the Scootaloos were launching blades of shadow at the bugs. Others of her were getting a bit more confrontational with direct hooves to the faces. Still, other Scootaloo copies were holding their front hooves together. Their shadows seemed to release a number of shadows in the shape of human arms practically strangling the life out of the pesky bugs. Every parasprite that was hit dissolved into slightly maroon shadows.

"Woah," I muttered again.

"Not bad, squirt!" called Dash, "But let me show how a professional handles this!"

The cyan Pegasus called forth her own Zanpaktou. Zangetsu's white tape started wrapping itself around her hoof. A bluish-white aura surrounded Dash entirely.

"Bankai!" she yelled. The energy radiating around her changed into a reddish-black aura. Within a few seconds, I could see her again. I'm no Rarity, but I could appreciate the awe inspired by some good looking threads. That full-bodied, black jacket that flapped with white, torn edges really looked good against her six-colored flowing mane. In her hoof, the blade itself had taken a much more generic katana shape. But if Bleach had taught me anything, it was that Zangetsu was much stronger now than it was as a butcher knife.

"Tensa Zangetsu!" cried Rainbow Dash lifting the blade high, "Getsuga Tenshou!"

Swinging her blade down caused a fairly large wave of black spiritual energy to fly toward the enemy. Many of the would-be parasprites exploded on impact and dissolved into fading shadows. Though, there were still plenty of the buggers flying around that spat out more of each other.

"Hey!" interjected Applejack with a chuckle, "Don't you girls take all the fun!" She held out her hoof and called forth her own sword.

Holding her other hoof just above the blade, she yelled, "Roar, Zabimaru! Bankai!"

The sheer force of her growing spiritual pressure was so intense. I thought Apple Bloom, Twilight, and I were going to get blown away like paper slips in the wind. Luckily, that was just imagination crossing my thoughts and not the reality. When I could chance a look at Applejack again, I was taken aback by the surreal yet epic appearance. Her stetson had been replaced by a white headband. Her shoulders were covered in faded red fur and small skull bones. But that wasn't what really had my attention at the moment.

Applejack's Zanpaktou, Zabimaru, had transformed into several, bamboo-like segments of a gigantic skeletal snake. It had its own pelt of red fur resembling the mane of a lion. It coiled around its wielder loosely, while she stood proudly and determined.

"Hihio Zabimaru!" shouted the bearer of Honesty, "Higa Zekko!" The hundred or so segments of the serpent like weapon seemed to float in the air as they split apart from each other. Within a few seconds, the separate parts all glowed red and flew in several directions. Any parasprites unlucky enough to find themselves in Hihio Zabimaru's path got smothered into shadow vapors.

The remaining three ponies looked agape at the three Bankai users. I had to shake my head out of its stupor. There were still a few parasprites lingering after that astounding power display.

"Come on you two," I nudged Apple Bloom and Twilight Sparkle, "We need to clean up here!"

"Oh! Uh, right!" replied the filly shaking herself out of her self-induced daze.

"Y-yeah, we should do that," stammered a recovering bearer of Magic.

"Dance, Sode no Shirayuki!" I yelled as my Zanpaktou accepted its white appearance and ribbon.

I can handle this, I thought.

Very well, conceded Shirayuki.

Twilight created her reishi light bow and managed to fire a few rapid arrows at the bugs in the immediate vicinity.

"Tsugi-no-mai, Hakuren!" I declared. My ice blast easily picked off the pests right down the middle of the stragglers.

"Split and deviate, Ruri'iro Kujaku!" cried Apple Bloom. The familiar sapphire-colored branches wrapped around what was left of the parasprites and absorbed what little energy each of them had to offer. There wasn't enough to fully grow any blossoms for Apple Bloom to consume. Still, it wasn't all bad.

A repeat of "The Swarm of the Century" had been averted.

---

Contrary to his omnipotence, a lone man decided it would be better to just walk in through the front door. In his nigh psychic grasp, four dormant ponies floated behind him as if they were sleeping on air. Oh, it still brought unwanted attention by the guards. But, he figured it would make a better impression than teleporting into the resident's chambers unannounced. Yes, a certain level of easiness and trust was required for this next step if his plan was to yield any success.

Still, the appearance of lance-wielding guards was a bit annoying as he walked. A few Rikujokoros here and a few Sais there, he proceeded into the castle grounds with little interruption. Honestly, the whole stroll hadn't even fazed him in the slightest. He needn't have taken so many precautions. Sure, a stray thought could allow him to immediately end the lives of those that stood in his way, but unnecessary bloodshed would only give his deal partner more reason to hesitate. So, he left most of the Royal Guard immobile but very much alive.

Those that stood in his way now were merely observation guards.

"Bakudo 1: Sai."

The two night watchers were soon on the floor fighting against their own bent fore hooves. The man proceeded past them with no more resistance. While it was true that Luna guarded the night, both of the Princesses had taken to standing in the room as the uninvited guest made his entrance along with his cargo.

"What is the meaning of this?" demanded Luna, "Why are you here? Why have you incapacitated our Royal Guard?"

"And why are you holding those four hostage?" asked a cross Celestia who was referring to the ponies in the man's hold.

"Yes, I expected questions along those lines," he said with a sad smile, "This is necessary for me to make an offer."

"And just what makes you think we'd accept any offer from you, David?" inquired the peeved Princess of the Night.

David sighed, "So I guess you don't care what happens to their lives if you refuse."

The room was filled with a rather heavy silence. This held for a few seconds.

"What do you want?" asked the elder Princess still glaring at the intruder.

"I'd very much like your cooperation in dealing with a certain... problem that's come to my attention," began the man, "Haven't you noticed a disturbingly foreign spiritual pressure?"

"We were under the impression that it was your doing," remarked Luna.

"No, that's not possible," said David apathetically and dismissively, "This particular pressure stems from outside of this realm. It's not even from the human dominant realm that Stephen originated from."

"Firewall," corrected Luna in a muttered tone.

"What exactly are we looking at?" inquired Celestia.

"I can definitely tell that it's hostile," stated David matter-of-factly, "Should it be left unchecked, it will undoubtedly cause harm to this realm in ways that will make the Battle of Shadows look like a mere fencing tournament in comparison."

"So what?" asked the miffed Luna, "Can't you handle it yourself? You are the 'creator' after all."

"If only it were so simple, Luna my dear," cooed the man.

"I'm not your dear," she quietly snapped.

"I expect the unknown variable will eventually bring in reinforcements," continued David, "As vast as my power is, I'm just one entity. I'm going to need all of your available help that you can offer."

"First, release my subjects," ordered Celestia.

David sighed, "If that's what it'll take." In lieu of a magic spell, the psychic hold unceremoniously dropped all four of the floating ponies to the ground. A group yelp of surprise projected from them.

"Woah! What happened?" chirped Pinkie Pie before looking around the room, "Oh! Hi, Princess Celestia! Hi, Princess Luna! Hi..." Her expression suddenly took a slightly more angry look as she said, "David," but then quickly reverted to its usual happy face as she looked back at her pile of friends.

"What was that horrid dream?" asked Rarity as she came to.

"Wh-where are we?" asked Sweetie Belle just barely coming out of her half-sleep state.

Fluttershy remained silent and cowered behind her mane at the sight of the man that had caused so much strife in the past.

"I should point out that this new enemy will most likely not distinguish either of our causes as their allies," continued David in spite of the groans behind him, "It would be best if we had less to worry about in the heat of an inevitable conflict."

He was now right in front of the Princesses. He held out his hand as a person would just before giving a handshake.

"This doesn't mean that we trust you," warned Celestia as she reached her hoof into his hand, "Nor should you take this as a sign of subordination."

"Of course not," responded the man nonchalantly, "It's a loose thread of agreement that either of us can sever once the greater threat is removed." He released her hoof. With barely a blink, he was gone.

"I don't trust him," Luna stated the obvious.

"If there's a threat that can unnerve him," pointed out Celestia, "We ought to at least give it our attention, if not for our little ponies."

"I know," sighed her little sister.

---

"My lord, I have returned. You were right. There are some rather intriguing spiritual presences in that world."

"Good. Well then, onto Phase two."

---
A/N: Kagehime is an original Zanpakuto generously donated by the great Leo Archon. Once again, thank you.