• Published 17th Jan 2015
  • 2,207 Views, 111 Comments

A Flowery Affair - Voltsthevoltvolts



When a Floran's ship breaks down in the space outside of the Equestria its captain has no choice to beam down to the planet. How will Ponyville cope with its slightly savage visitor?

  • ...
1
 111
 2,207

Sssssswords at ssssssunset

Equestria was abuzz, the rumor that the visitor from space had challenged Princess Luna to a duel had spread quickly. Princess Luna herself had spent a large portion of the day honing her tactics and combat skills. There had also been sightings of Fern around Equestria, however none of them had been consistent. Ponyville had been on edge, since that had been the place where Fern had spent most of her time.

"Urgh, I don't like this." Lyra huffed. "She won't show up here." Herself and Twilight had been patrolling the border of the village, keeping an eye out for Fern.

"We can't take any risks Lyra, if she has gone hostile..." Twilight explained. "There is no telling how she will act." Twilight examined the horizon. "I can't believe it went bad so quickly... All that planning..."

"Yeah, I can't believe it either." Lyra stated. "She seemed pretty happy when she zapped me back down... I wonder what happened." Lyra inquired.

"Luna hasn't told anypony except Celestia... But if you ask me... It was most likely both their short tempers..." Twilight chucked weakly.

"I can believe that." Lyra happily replied. "I hope this just blows over... I would hate to see either of them hurt." Lyra sighed and looked at the setting sun in the distance. "Looks like the day is coming to the end. I guess Fern has vanished... Maybe it is for the best."

"Yeah, I know for a fact that neither of them would back down. They both can be stubborn like that..." Twilight stated.

"You knew that from the brief time you spent with her?" Lyra sighed. "Was she really that readable?"

"Well, all you have done is gone on about her for the past few hours..." Twilight sighed. "You really did..." Twilight noticed something on the horizon. "...Looks like Fern is coming after all." Twilight pointed, just as the sun was setting Fern's unique silhouette could be seen slowly walking towards Ponyville.


Fern had spent the majority of the day building up a small arsenal of armor and weaponry, she was quite proud of what she had accomplished in such a short time. "Ssssss. Floran will fight sssssssmall pony, Floran not kill sssssssmall pony..." Fern chuckled as she approached Ponyville. "Maybe Floran not have to fight sssssssmall pony. Maybe Floran sssssssshould just leave...." Fern shook her head. "No! Floran need to fix sssssssship!" Fern went through her weaponry one final time, an assortment of blunt swords and arrows with a few clubs.

Fern walked across the long winding plains as the sun was set in the background, she could easily tell by the large amount of traffic in the air that she had been seen. Fern continued walking towards Ponyville at a steady pace.


"Sister please, you don't have to do this!" Celestia pleaded to her sister, who was donning her battle armor that she had not worn in years.

"Sadly Tia, this is not the case. That monstrosity had the audacity to insult our way of life! That thing..!" Luna shouted angrily. "And now, she shows up in Ponyville, just as we were about to raise the moon!"

"Luna, calm down. I highly doubt that she wants to fight you..." Celestia calmly said. "She is most likely confused by our culture... Our ways..." Celestia sighed. "I will not try stop you from fighting... The time for that has passed, but do. Not. Kill. Her." Celestia calmly said. "If the first alien from space is killed in cold blood..."

"Worry not sister, we won't kill her. Just ensure that our message is revived." Luna calmly said.

"Very well..." Celestia yawned loudly. "I need to rest, ensure that you are in one piece tomorrow morning."

"I will sister..." Luna chuckled as she left the castle and headed in the direction of Ponyville.


"Ssssss..." Fern hissed as a large amount of ponies surrounded her, however they all kept their distance. "Where issssss sssssssmall pony..."

"We are here." Luna announced as she landed. "We did not expect you come..."

"Ssssss. For Floran to run away for challenge isssssss to remove Floran'ssssssssss heart." Fern stated confidently, she was now wearing a green and grey chest-plate, accompanied by Spiked green crown and grey undergarments.

"May we make one thing clear, we will not kill you." Luna stated.

"Floran will not kill sssssssssmall pony then." Fern replied. "Ssssssssssmall pony ready?"

"Have at thee!" Luna shouted as she unleashed a torrent of magic towards Fern.

Fern was caught out by the sudden outburst and flung backwards. "Ragh.." Fern grunted as she stood upright. "Sssssssmall horse make Floran angry!" Fern shouted as she unsheathed two small swords and began charging at Luna. Luna laughed as she took to the air, however much to her surprise Fern was able to jump to her height.

Although Fern's weapons weapons were blunt they still left a clear red mark on Luna when they made contact in the air. Luna flew to the ground quickly, her right wing had taken a heavy hit from Fern's blades. "Gah, is that all you have?" Luna taunted as she began to charge towards Fern.

"Floran not breaking a ssssssssweat!" Fern shouted back smugly as she began charging, within a few seconds she clashed with Luna. Fern had both her swords push on Luna's horn, however due her strength being split Luna easily pushed her back, causing Fern to drop one of her short swords. "Ssssss..." Fern hissed as she charged Luna before she could recover bringing a heavy hit across Luna's front. Fern chuckled as Luna recovered.

"Hmpp! To think you claim you are a vicious race." Luna taunted. Fern charged at her a second time however Luna teleported and hit Fern in the back with one of her hooves, throwing her to the floor. "Bah, you are predictable!"

Fern recovered from the floor and threw her other blade to the floor. Fern then unsheathed a large sword and held it in both hands. "Sssss! Take thissssssss!" Fern heaved her weight and hit Luna with what would have been a fetal blow had the sword been sharp. Luna recoiled and took a moment to regain her balance. Fern laughed loudly. "Ssssssssilly pony. Floran have more then one way to fight!" Fern went n for another blow however the heavy sword caused her to miss-judge the speed and she fell onto the sword, using it to remain upright.

"You are untrained and undisciplined!" Luna castrated as she hit Fern with a powerful spell. Fern was thrown up high into the air, unable to slow her fall Luna panicked, however just before Fern hit the floor a large black bubble appeared around her and caused her to bounce. "What is this!?" Luna questioned as Fern settled, the black orb vanished fern chuckled.

"Floran..." Fern pulled out a large club made out of various skull. "SMASH!" Fern smashed the nearby ground with the club, shards from the club flew out in all directions. Much to the relief of the watching ponies, the club regenerated making the weapon seem a lot less morbid. Luna hesitated moving forward, she quickly threw a shield up in order to take the blunt of the hit.

Fern readied herself for a charge, she quickly ran at Luna with the club already in motion for a solid swing. Just as the club passed Fern Luna teleported out of the pathway of the blow, and behind Fern. "You fell for the same trick again..." Luna started, however she was interrupted when the club continued going around, smashing her clean in the face.

Luna flew back, the shield had taken the brunt of the club however it had shaken her up pretty bad. Luna quickly threw another shield up and readied herself for a charge. Fern took the challenge and readied herself for a charge. The two ran at each other at fast speeds, Luna's magic directly hitting Fern and Fern's club directly hitting Luna's shield. The pair flew backwards and landed on the floor at the same time.

For a brief moment neither Luna or Fern showed any signs of life, neither of them moved and they both were hurt. However soon two very clear signs of life were coming from them. They were laughing.

Author's Note:

Possibly the quickest chapter write up for me yet...

And boy, are my fingers tired.